Maximilian Langenfeld by wadesworld
[Today at 09:19:59 PM]

Academic All Americans by Pakuni
[Today at 09:06:28 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul lawsuit involving AD  (Read 18490 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: DePaul lawsuit involving AD
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 07:43:37 AM »
If JLP survives this, she's Rasputin.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 09:04:08 AM »
The coach in question is JLP's brother.  Allegations he punched players and assistant coaches and called them "f***ing whores."  I'd be shocked if she survives this one.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 09:32:01 AM »
The lawsuit claims JLP put “winning at all costs” above everything. Evidently the basketball program never got the message.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 09:38:27 AM »
DePaul alums just got some great news during this difficult time.  This is probably better news for them than getting Carton is for us.  No way JLP should survive this.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 05:51:58 PM »
No way JLP should survive this.

Never underestimate JLP. This is someone who got Dave Leitao an extension for four straight last place finishes and had the president of the university sign the contract.

She's also the one whose sister-in-law won the contract for the naming rights to Wintrust Arena.

"The Chief Marketing Officer from Wintrust Bank has confirmed that Wintrust Executive Vice President and sister-in-law of DePaul Athletic Director Jean Lenti Ponsetto, Kandace Lenti, was involved in the multi-million dollar Wintrust Arena naming rights agreement. DePaul officials have also confirmed that Jean Lenti Ponsetto never officially disclosed a conflict of interest form before engaging in the deal."

https://depauliaonline.com/33672/news/a-voice-for-the-voiceless/

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 06:02:33 PM »
Had dinner with a connected DePaul guy before the @ DeP game. About 8 of us. Guy said Leito will get an extension, and JLP is gone. Everyone laughed.
He took some crap from DeP and MU alums. He said just wait.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 09:18:54 PM »
Had dinner with a connected DePaul guy before the @ DeP game. About 8 of us. Guy said Leito will get an extension, and JLP is gone. Everyone laughed.
He took some crap from DeP and MU alums. He said just wait.

Why would you extend Leitao under any circumstances? What, someone is going to steal away a 60 year old coach with a five year BE record of 19-71?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 09:25:28 PM »
Why would you extend Leitao under any circumstances? What, someone is going to steal away a 60 year old coach with a five year BE record of 19-71?

How much time was left on his deal? If he had 3 years left with a big buyout, I could see extending him a year to give him more money in the short term while reducing the buyout in case he didn't turn it around to make a firing more fiscally viable.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 09:31:25 PM »
How much time was left on his deal? If he had 3 years left with a big buyout, I could see extending him a year to give him more money in the short term while reducing the buyout in case he didn't turn it around to make a firing more fiscally viable.

I think I saw he was in the last year of his deal or only had one year left. Don't quote me on that, but I thought I saw that somewhere.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 09:43:24 PM »
What are these big buyouts? It's been said about Wojo too. Schools just pay the remainder of the contract. Coaches have to pay a buyout. I don't get it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 10:14:41 PM »
The lawsuit claims JLP put “winning at all costs” above everything. Evidently the basketball program never got the message.

You're on a roll today.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 12:12:13 AM »

DePaul has a great women’s BB program, a good Softball team, a good women’s soccer team. That’s what she hung her hat on. It’s like when I worked at Pepsi in Chicago. We had Gatorade (the monster profit making shining star), Tropicana, and Quaker. Her leadership success would have been Gatorade imploding and losing all market share but Quaker granola bars and Tropicana single serve juices being relatively successful.   

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 07:09:36 AM »
The lawsuit claims JLP put “winning at all costs” above everything. Evidently the men's basketball program never got the message.

FIFY
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 07:45:35 PM »
What are these big buyouts? It's been said about Wojo too. Schools just pay the remainder of the contract. Coaches have to pay a buyout. I don't get it.

Paying the remainder of the contract is buying the contract out. The school can negotiate to pay a smaller percentage if they choose to part ways. Maybe a 1-year buyout, a percentage of the remaining, or a set amount.

So if DePaul had to pay the full balance on a 3-year contract, they couldn't afford to buy him out. But they could hypothetically negotiate to add a year to the contract, give an extra 5% each year, but if they fire him they only pay half the remaining deal. Good for Leitao because he gets a longer deal and more money if he succeeds, good for DePaul because they can get rid of him cheaper if he doesn't.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 07:01:39 AM »
Never underestimate JLP. This is someone who got Dave Leitao an extension for four straight last place finishes and had the president of the university sign the contract.

She's also the one whose sister-in-law won the contract for the naming rights to Wintrust Arena.

"The Chief Marketing Officer from Wintrust Bank has confirmed that Wintrust Executive Vice President and sister-in-law of DePaul Athletic Director Jean Lenti Ponsetto, Kandace Lenti, was involved in the multi-million dollar Wintrust Arena naming rights agreement. DePaul officials have also confirmed that Jean Lenti Ponsetto never officially disclosed a conflict of interest form before engaging in the deal."

https://depauliaonline.com/33672/news/a-voice-for-the-voiceless/

This one alone should put her on the termination path.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 08:54:10 AM »
This one alone should put her on the termination path.

Not in Chicago it wouldn’t.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 11:05:58 AM »
Paying the remainder of the contract is buying the contract out. The school can negotiate to pay a smaller percentage if they choose to part ways. Maybe a 1-year buyout, a percentage of the remaining, or a set amount.

So if DePaul had to pay the full balance on a 3-year contract, they couldn't afford to buy him out. But they could hypothetically negotiate to add a year to the contract, give an extra 5% each year, but if they fire him they only pay half the remaining deal. Good for Leitao because he gets a longer deal and more money if he succeeds, good for DePaul because they can get rid of him cheaper if he doesn't.
Makes sense. I thought people thought the schools had to pay a true buyout 'penalty'. The coaches do have to.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »
When Dave Leitao was hired in 2015, the athletic director said her expectation was to "win now." And in 2020?

"I didn’t mean we were going to win the next day or win right away, but that we would do our best to build the program."

https://depauliaonline.com/47951/sports/5-years-after-hiring-dave-leitao-depaul-still-stuck-in-the-bottom-of-the-big-east/

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 03:27:09 PM »
When Dave Leitao was hired in 2015, the athletic director said her expectation was to "win now." And in 2020?

"I didn’t mean we were going to win the next day or win right away, but that we would do our best to build the program."

https://depauliaonline.com/47951/sports/5-years-after-hiring-dave-leitao-depaul-still-stuck-in-the-bottom-of-the-big-east/

Apparently at DePaul, “now” really means “hopefully before you die if it isn’t too much trouble.”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 06:58:37 PM »
DePaul has a great women’s BB program, a good Softball team, a good women’s soccer team. That’s what she hung her hat on. It’s like when I worked at Pepsi in Chicago. We had Gatorade (the monster profit making shining star), Tropicana, and Quaker. Her leadership success would have been Gatorade imploding and losing all market share but Quaker granola bars and Tropicana single serve juices being relatively successful.

Exactly. They range from good to very good in programs that bleed money and almost nobody cares about. They are world class awful in the the one that is supposed to pay for the rest. Fireable.

dpu70

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2020, 02:39:41 AM »
MBB winning is NOT one of her objectives.  Team GPA and graduation rates are,
This has been hammered on the DPU Populace ad nauseam..

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2020, 07:47:36 AM »
Those aren't mutually exclusive objectives.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 08:58:24 PM »
retiring

WeAreDePaul.com
@WeAreDePaul
·
7m
Multiple sources have confirmed to http://WeAreDePaul.com that DePaul Athletic Director Jean Lenti Ponsetto is retiring after 18 years as AD at the university.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 09:10:41 PM »
retiring

WeAreDePaul.com
@WeAreDePaul
·
7m
Multiple sources have confirmed to http://WeAreDePaul.com that DePaul Athletic Director Jean Lenti Ponsetto is retiring after 18 years as AD at the university.
If true the Sleeping Giant will soon be awaken.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire