[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 357691 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2550 on: May 03, 2021, 08:24:43 PM »
"anonymous sources" must of have whispered this to ole sleepy during one of his story time naps-over 200 million vaccines?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-announces-200-million-vaccine-dose-goal-met/story?id=77216487

did his subscription to wapo expire?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/covid-vaccine-states-distribution-doses/

no need to fact check anymore though cuz sleepy chooses "truth over facts"...and this is easy stuff man.  if his kiddo is the smartest guy he knows, we are in bigger trouble than getting vaccinated or not.  we need the truth AND the facts.  we're only 100 days in and my boots don't go any higher man
don't...don't don't don't don't

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #2551 on: May 03, 2021, 08:53:57 PM »
"anonymous sources" must of have whispered this to ole sleepy during one of his story time naps-over 200 million vaccines?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-announces-200-million-vaccine-dose-goal-met/story?id=77216487

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/covid-vaccine-states-distribution-doses/

no need to fact check anymore though cuz sleepy chooses "truth over facts"...and this is easy stuff man.  if his kiddo is the smartest guy he knows, we are in bigger trouble than getting vaccinated or not.  we need the truth AND the facts.  we're only 100 days in and my boots don't go any higher man

I might not be following the outrage here but is it in reference to 200 million vs. 147.5 million?  The former references doses, the latter individuals.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2552 on: May 03, 2021, 11:44:36 PM »

BDS
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2553 on: May 04, 2021, 04:18:02 AM »
I might not be following the outrage here but is it in reference to 200 million vs. 147.5 million?  The former references doses, the latter individuals.

Lol.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2554 on: May 04, 2021, 08:36:27 AM »

From your WAPO link headlines: This includes more than 105.5 million people who have been fully vaccinated. 312.5 million doses have been distributed
We need our boots for your posts.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2556 on: May 04, 2021, 09:12:40 AM »
Cur him some slack, its hard work showing exactly how painfully stupid you are day after day, and boy is he working hard.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2557 on: May 04, 2021, 10:56:46 AM »
Reports that Pfizer will be OK'd for 12-15 year olds.   As soon as it is official, we will be scheduling.

Us too!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2558 on: May 04, 2021, 12:07:14 PM »
WaPo with an article on the many vaccine cynics who changed their minds, going from "no" to "yes."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/03/vaccine-hesitant-americans-change-minds-debeaumont-foundation/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F322c9ca%2F60916f759d2fdae30242b1aa%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F8%2F69%2F60916f759d2fdae30242b1aa

Kim Simmons, a 61-year-old small-business owner in Illinois, vividly remembers the moment she went from vaccine skeptic to vaccine-ready: watching a Johns Hopkins University doctor on C-SPAN make the case for why the shots are safe.

For Lauren Bergner, a 39-year-old homemaker in New Jersey, it was when she realized it would make it easier for her family to attend New York Yankees games, after the team announced fans would need to show proof of a negative coronavirus test or that they had been vaccinated.

And for Elizabeth Greenaway, a 34-year-old communications consultant in Pennsylvania, it was the sudden fear that if she got sick, she wasn’t sure who would take care of her 2-year-old daughter, who has a rare health condition.

“Thinking about herd immunity, thinking about my daughter, thinking about all of that, I just realized — it’s about being a part of something bigger than yourself,” said Greenaway, who’s had to cut back on work to care for her daughter.

Simmons, Bergner and Greenaway are among the growing number of vaccine skeptics turned vaccinated Americans, a sign of hope amid the slowing pace of vaccinations nationwide. Almost half of all adults have yet to receive a first shot although they are now eligible, and the rolling rate of new shots has dropped to its lowest level since mid-March.

The emergence of these mind-changers suggests that at least some vaccine-wary Americans are willing to reconsider when their concerns are addressed by those they regard as credible.

Their conversions — along with those of 16 other former skeptics who joined a focus group last week — have drawn intense interest from White House officials and public health experts, hoping to re-create those moments for the tens of millions of Americans who remain in the “no” camp. Experts fear that failing to achieve high levels of immunity could prolong the pandemic in the United States, particularly if unvaccinated people continue to be infected and the virus continues to mutate as it spreads.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2559 on: May 04, 2021, 01:02:25 PM »
A cop friend of mine told me a story about taking his 17 year old daughter to get her shot past some aggressive protestors.   Yelling at her that she would never have children, accusing him of being a bad parent.   He had words with them after. 

I am half hoping I get d!psh!ts like that when I take my son.  That would be fun.   Plus, he gets the giggles every time somebody swears, so I will have him in stitches for an extended period of time.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2560 on: May 04, 2021, 02:43:43 PM »
A cop friend of mine told me a story about taking his 17 year old daughter to get her shot past some aggressive protestors.   Yelling at her that she would never have children, accusing him of being a bad parent.   He had words with them after. 

I am half hoping I get d!psh!ts like that when I take my son.  That would be fun.   Plus, he gets the giggles every time somebody swears, so I will have him in stitches for an extended period of time.

What the eff is wrong with people?

And now ... here is the single most effed-up vaccine-related thing I have read, and that's really saying something given all the effed up sh!t out there ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/02/us/miami-centner-academy-coronavirus-vaccine.html?campaign_id=190&emc=edit_ufn_20210504&instance_id=30199&nl=updates-from-the-newsroom&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=57198&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

MIAMI — A fifth-grade math and science teacher peddled a bogus conspiracy theory on Wednesday to students at Centner Academy, a private school in Miami, warning them that they should not hug parents who had been vaccinated against the coronavirus for more than five seconds because they might be exposed to harmful vaccine shedding.

“Hola Mami,” one student wrote in an email to her parents from school, saying that the teacher was “telling us to stay away from you guys.”

Nearly a week before, the school had threatened teachers’ employment if they got a coronavirus vaccine before the end of the school year.

Alarmed parents frantically texted one another on WhatsApp, trying to find a way to pull their children out at the end of the term.

Inside Centner Academy, however, “hundreds of queries from all over the world” came in for teaching positions, according to the administration. More came from people who wanted to enroll their children at the school, where tuition runs up to $30,000 a year.

The small school in Miami’s trendy Design District became a national beacon for anti-vaccination activists practically overnight last week, just as public health officials in the United States wrestled with how to overcome vaccine skepticism.

The policy barring teachers from contact with students after getting the vaccine brought a flurry of television news crews who parked outside the school for days, prompting teachers to keep children indoors for physical education and recess. Leila Centner, the school’s co-founder, who says she is not against fully tested vaccines, wrote on Instagram that journalists are “trying to destroy my reputation because I went against their narrative.”

Devoted supporters cheered her on.

“We won’t let them take you down!” one of them wrote on Instagram. “We stand strong with you! You’re an angel trying to save our kids and teachers.”

Ms. Centner, an avid social media user who has long used her accounts to document her luxurious lifestyle, took effective control of the school last year, in the midst of the pandemic. She told the community that the school, with prekindergarten through eighth grades, would focus on “happiness” and espouse “medical freedom.”

But interviews with 21 current and former parents and teachers, as well as a review of social media posts and of school documents, emails, text messages and videos, show how the wealthy and well-connected Ms. Centner brought her anti-vaccination and anti-masking views into the school’s day-to-day life, turning what had been a tightknit community into one bitterly split between those who support her views on vaccinations and those who do not.

“Every afternoon I have to explain things to my child when she comes home and says, ‘How come the school says what you’re saying is not right?’” said Iris Acosta-Zobel, referring to the importance she gives at home to masking and vaccinations. She pulled her daughter out of the school on Friday.

David J. Centner, a former electronic highway tolling entrepreneur who co-founded the school in its current iteration with his wife, said in written responses to questions that the school was listening to families. “We have met with more than 70 parents, and we are pleased that so many families continue to support our mission and trust us with their children,” he said.

Sara Dagan, who has four children at the school, said she was not troubled by the controversy. “Everything was blown out of proportion,” she said. “I’m comfortable with holding off on the vaccine. My main concern is the happiness of the kids.”

Most people interviewed for this article requested anonymity to protect their children or their employment. Some former parents and teachers said they feared retaliation if they spoke publicly. Others declined to comment because the school had made them sign nondisclosure agreements.

The anti-vaccination policy requires recently vaccinated teachers to maintain a distance from students — Ms. Centner told teachers not to hug the children, for example. It caused such a frenzy that a reporter asked about it during a White House briefing. (The school received $804,375 from the federal Paycheck Protection Program during the pandemic.) Jen Psaki, the press secretary, noted that public health guidelines strongly encourage vaccines against the coronavirus and are meant to keep people safe.

Centner Academy opened in its current form last year, after the Centners, who previously owned just the preschool, took over the Metropolitan International School, an established private school that focused on foreign languages and served an international clientele. Its owner retired and said the school would merge with the preschool owned by the Centners, who have donated heavily in recent years to the Republican Party and former President Donald J. Trump.

By the time the pandemic hit, the school’s old identity and leaders were gone, and the Centners were at the helm.

Things began to change, parents said. Surveillance cameras were installed to record both video and audio, for what Mr. Centner said were security and insurance purposes. Ms. Centner once remarked that children should be kept away from windows, for fear of radiation from 5G cell towers, another baseless conspiracy theory. (The windows at the preschool now have electromagnetic frequency “shielding blockers,” Mr. Centner said in response to a question about the school’s 5G concerns.) The school opposed feeding children sugar and gluten, and required that students have different shoes for indoors and outdoors. Some parents said they thought such ideas odd but inoffensive — unlike what began to happen with the school’s response to the coronavirus.

The school opened for in-person instruction in September and initially pledged to follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, as well as a local mask mandate. But teachers said they found no attempt at social distancing during orientation in August, and Ms. Centner discouraged mask use. Teachers had to sign waivers acknowledging that there was a health risk associated with returning to work in person.

Parents were offered forms to exempt their children from any need to wear masks, similar to a school policy that also exempts children from vaccines of all kinds if their parents wish.

Ms. Centner operated a WhatsApp group called “Knowledge Is Key” (joining was optional, Mr. Centner said) on which she shared anti-vaccination material with teachers. When a parent asked if the school would mandate the flu vaccine, Ms. Centner laid out her skepticism about vaccines in a letter to parents. She cited a nonprofit organization started by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., an anti-vaccination crusader.

“As many of you may have learned by now, we are not blind followers, and we try not to make fear-based decisions,” she wrote.

In November, two grade levels in the preschool added two days of online-only instruction to their long Thanksgiving break after several Covid-19 cases were confirmed.

Once Florida began administering coronavirus vaccines, Ms. Centner invited members of the school community to a virtual talk with an anti-vaccination pediatrician to discuss potential dangers of the vaccines. Mr. Kennedy visited the school and met with teachers. So did another anti-vaccination activist, who also met with students.

Then came the announcement that vaccinated teachers would have to stay away from students, or would not be allowed to return for now if they get the vaccine over the summer. “If you want to get it, this is not going to be the right school for you,” Ms. Centner told teachers about the vaccine on a virtual call.

Nobody spoke up with concerns, said Jimena Hills, a faculty member who supports Ms. Centner and said she had no problem with the school’s policies on vaccinations and thought they should not have been leaked to the news media. “All of this controversy could have really been avoided,” she said.

School officials insisted that they were not discouraging students from coming close to their vaccinated parents.

Ms. Centner told parents during a meeting on Thursday that the teacher mentioned by the fifth-grade student in her email had been speaking out of turn; the teacher has since apologized and retracted her statement, she said. Still, the meeting was sometimes tense, several parents said. One father, they said, got in the face of a faculty member who had spoken out on behalf of the school and the teacher vaccination policy.

The school continued to defend the policy on Friday. “At our school, we have asked our teachers to take a prudent precautionary pause and get through these remaining weeks until the claims being made are further researched,” Mr. Centner said. “We encourage teachers to consult their health care providers as they make these medical decisions.”

The local state senator, Jason W.B. Pizzo, a Democrat, said he was told that neither the Department of Education nor the Department of Health had jurisdiction over the school’s vaccination policies. (Centner Academy had one student receiving a public voucher this school year.)

On Thursday, Mr. Pizzo introduced a legislative amendment that he hoped would prevent schools and businesses from prohibiting people from getting vaccinated, calling such a policy “quackery.”

He had some bipartisan support. “Let’s show that the Senate is not insane,” said State Senator Jeff Brandes of St. Petersburg, a Republican.

It failed on a tied vote.

Back in Miami, Ms. Centner appeared unbothered. On Friday, she posted on Instagram that she would speak next month at a “freedom-fighting festival” with several conservative political luminaries, including Michael T. Flynn and Roger J. Stone Jr. Its theme: “Reopen America.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2561 on: May 04, 2021, 02:56:41 PM »
Mike, I have reached my limit with these anti-vaxxers. I no longer care if they live or die. In reality, the world would be a better place without them.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2562 on: May 04, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »
Floriduh. Its like all the stupid is being magically pulled there.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2563 on: May 04, 2021, 04:02:13 PM »

And now ... here is the single most effed-up vaccine-related thing I have read, and that's really saying something given all the effed up sh!t out there ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/02/us/miami-centner-academy-coronavirus-vaccine.html?campaign_id=190&emc=edit_ufn_20210504&instance_id=30199&nl=updates-from-the-newsroom&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=57198&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

It is one thing to be a anti-vaxxer.  I mean the vaccine can cause negative outcomes for a super small segment of society, albeit you are still better rolling the dice  with the vaccine than getting COVID and passing it onto others.

But it is quite another thing to spread ridiculous rumors about "vaccine shedding" and scaring people who are vaccine hesitant from getting vaccines because the vaccine they got will impact others.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #2564 on: May 04, 2021, 04:02:42 PM »

Did not read the entire article, so it may have addressed this, but there is a subset of society out there that believes the vaccine is designed to eliminate a huge percentage of the population within two years.  It is a huge conspiracy to save resources for those "in the know" and the world will go on without the lemmings that got that vaccine.  It is absolutely astonishing that people can buy into this crap.  Crazysauce times ten.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2565 on: May 04, 2021, 04:47:27 PM »
Did not read the entire article, so it may have addressed this, but there is a subset of society out there that believes the vaccine is designed to eliminate a huge percentage of the population within two years.  It is a huge conspiracy to save resources for those "in the know" and the world will go on without the lemmings that got that vaccine.  It is absolutely astonishing that people can buy into this crap.  Crazysauce times ten.

Anyone can make up a conspiracy. Heck I can even do it and make it sound logical.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2566 on: May 04, 2021, 04:48:48 PM »
Floriduh. Its like all the stupid is being magically pulled there.

The gravity in Texas is pretty strong, too. The Jerry Springer Show never would have succeeded without Florida and Texas.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #2567 on: May 05, 2021, 08:43:16 AM »
Mike, I have reached my limit with these anti-vaxxers. I no longer care if they live or die. In reality, the world would be a better place without them.

Very nice.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #2568 on: May 05, 2021, 12:43:10 PM »
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/22409938/covid-19-vaccine-hesitancy-moderna-pfizer-johnson-astrazeneca-uk

Interesting comparisons on the differences between UK and US in vaccine enthusiasm.  So why is there more enthusiasm in the UK?

1. UK restrained reaction to bad news about rare side effects.
2. More convenient to get vaccinated in UK
3. The "getting as many first shots into arms as possible" approach.
4. The right wing press is more pro-vaccine in the UK than it is here. (Both owned by Murdoch.)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2569 on: May 05, 2021, 12:54:56 PM »

What shocks me is that they believe this, and somehow believe that they're in the know.  As if some hog from the sticks has the inside secret information.

Also, all of their heroes have been vaxxed, including former President Trump.  Cult of stupidity.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #2570 on: May 05, 2021, 01:01:53 PM »
What shocks me is that they believe this....

Reminds me of the Iraqi Dinar revaluation scam, or the Q crapola.  I mean seriously.  How can anyone not read that stuff and say, hey, wait a minute here....something does not seem right.  Kinda like the news media's defense in the Dominion cases...."no rational person would believe what we said." 

I think all of the above examples are indicative of something missing in the lives of the believers.  I am not sure  what exactly it is, or if there is brain damage or some kind of psychosis.  I am not smart enough to figure that all out...but dang, why do people flock to this nonsense time and again?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2571 on: May 05, 2021, 01:11:44 PM »
Reminds me of the Iraqi Dinar revaluation scam, or the Q crapola.  I mean seriously.  How can anyone not read that stuff and say, hey, wait a minute here....something does not seem right.  Kinda like the news media's defense in the Dominion cases...."no rational person would believe what we said." 

I think all of the above examples are indicative of something missing in the lives of the believers.  I am not sure  what exactly it is, or if there is brain damage or some kind of psychosis.  I am not smart enough to figure that all out...but dang, why do people flock to this nonsense time and again?

IMO, they want to feel like they're smart.  For once in their lives.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2572 on: May 05, 2021, 01:13:48 PM »
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/22409938/covid-19-vaccine-hesitancy-moderna-pfizer-johnson-astrazeneca-uk

Interesting comparisons on the differences between UK and US in vaccine enthusiasm.  So why is there more enthusiasm in the UK?

1. UK restrained reaction to bad news about rare side effects.
2. More convenient to get vaccinated in UK
3. The "getting as many first shots into arms as possible" approach.
4. The right wing press is more pro-vaccine in the UK than it is here. (Both owned by Murdoch.)

Boris Johnson received his vaccination and urged everyone to get one. The US has Bunker Boy and Fox News.

Pretty simple.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2573 on: May 05, 2021, 01:14:28 PM »

Very nice.

Thank you. You apparently are fine with them taking no responsibility for their own safety or the safety of anyone that they are in contact with.

I still remember when it was convenient for those people to say that their party was the party of personal responsibility as a way to attack people who were less fortunate.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 01:18:33 PM by Jockey »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2574 on: May 05, 2021, 01:15:48 PM »
What shocks me is that they believe this, and somehow believe that they're in the know.  As if some hog from the sticks has the inside secret information.

Also, all of their heroes have been vaxxed, including former President Trump.  Cult of stupidity.

What shocks me - is that you are shocked by any of this. ;)

feedback