collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Navy ship / COVID  (Read 7090 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Navy ship / COVID
« on: April 06, 2020, 01:24:41 PM »
Wow.  This is just priceless:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-secretary-blasts-fired-aircraft-carrier-captain

My favorite:

"Crew of the Teddy Roosevelt, you are under no obligation to love your leadership, only respect it," he continued. "You are under no obligation to like your job, only to do it."

I'm surprised .. there hasn't been a mass resignation or something.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Navy ship / COVID
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 01:42:27 PM »
I do understand Modly's point of view regarding the communication of the potential readiness of a ship.

But his language is over the top.  And reprimanding the people who cheered him wasn't a smart move either.  And the China stuff is the gaslighting that we are going to hear a lot of over the next seven months.

And then there is this:

“If I could offer you a glimpse of the level of hatred and pure evil that has been thrown my way, my family's way over this decision, I would,” Modly said. “But it doesn't matter. It's not about me. "

OK...then don't make it about you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 03:20:10 PM »
Wow.  This is just priceless:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-secretary-blasts-fired-aircraft-carrier-captain

My favorite:

"Crew of the Teddy RooseveltMUScoop Family, you are under no obligation to love your leadership, only respect it," he continued. "You are under no obligation to like your job, only to do it."

I'm surprised .. there hasn't been a mass resignation or something.
A new scoop motto

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 03:22:21 PM »
Yes, this is a snarky comment.

Capt. Crozier would have been better off committing war crimes. He would have been hailed as a hero.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 04:47:20 PM »
So let me get this straight, Modly relieved the Capt for using a communication method that he should have known would be leaked. He then addresses the sailors on board via the PA, a communication method which got leaked.......

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 04:52:23 PM »
So let me get this straight, Modly relieved the Capt for using a communication method that he should have known would be leaked. He then addresses the sailors on board via the PA, a communication method which got leaked.......

Modly knew it would get leaked. He said nothing that he wasn’t prepared to get out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 05:24:14 PM »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 06:31:09 PM »
Modly knew it would get leaked. He said nothing that he wasn’t prepared to get out.

If he didn’t want it to get out, he should resign.

After listening to the tape, if he did indeed want it to get out, he should resign.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 05:01:22 PM »

Well, this post aged well.

Acting secretary of the Navy resigns after calling ousted aircraft carrier captain 'stupid'

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/politics/modly-resign-crozier-esper-trump/index.html

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 05:35:20 PM »
Dumb is apparently as contagious as Covid19.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 05:59:15 PM »
Well, this post aged well.

Acting secretary of the Navy resigns after calling ousted aircraft carrier captain 'stupid'

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/politics/modly-resign-crozier-esper-trump/index.html

I’ll add it to my list. 😎😎

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 09:32:59 PM »
What an effen clown.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 06:56:11 PM »
Dude spent a lot of money to go get himself fired

@rabrowne75: CNN has confirmed that newly resigned acting Navy Secretary Modly's recent trip to Guam where he addressed the crew of the USS Theodore Roosevelt & slammed their former commanding officer, remarks that cost him his job, cost the @DeptofDefense ~$243,000, per a Navy estimate

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »
Dude spent a lot of money to go get himself fired

@rabrowne75: CNN has confirmed that newly resigned acting Navy Secretary Modly's recent trip to Guam where he addressed the crew of the USS Theodore Roosevelt & slammed their former commanding officer, remarks that cost him his job, cost the @DeptofDefense ~$243,000, per a Navy estimate

Didn’t cost the Defense Dept. nothing.

It cost us taxpayers $243000

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 08:10:05 AM »
Didn’t cost the Defense Dept. nothing.

It cost us taxpayers $243000

Nah, the Navy rents out their boats for parties and stuff.  They have their own revenue.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »
Nah, the Navy rents out their boats for parties and stuff.  They have their own revenue.
Proof
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2020, 09:20:01 PM »
@DeaconBlues0: USS Theodore Roosevelt now has 550 cases of Cornavirus. They only had 95 cases when CAPT Crozier's pleas for help were ignored and he was relieved of command.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2020, 09:33:45 PM »
@DeaconBlues0: USS Theodore Roosevelt now has 550 cases of Cornavirus. They only had 95 cases when CAPT Crozier's pleas for help were ignored and he was relieved of command.

This is what happens when trump fires competent leaders and installs his lackeys.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2020, 09:37:53 PM »
This is what happens when trump fires competent leaders and installs his lackeys.

Nope.  It's what happens when you have a 14 day incubation period.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 09:40:41 PM »
This will actually be a pretty good test of how deadly this virus is to healthy individuals.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 09:47:54 PM »
This will actually be a pretty good test of how deadly this virus is to healthy individuals.

Tuskegee Experiment, 2020?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2020, 09:50:14 PM »
Tuskegee Experiment, 2020?

Gotta put that in the conspiracy theory thread.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2020, 12:41:00 AM »

No. I was speaking of the way that Capt. Crozier was treated - not about the spread of the virus. That is bad leadership from lackeys who think their job  is to impress one man.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2020, 07:01:30 AM »
No. I was speaking of the way that Capt. Crozier was treated - not about the spread of the virus. That is bad leadership from lackeys who think their job  is to impress one man.

Nope.  The virus would have spread regardless if he would have been fired or not.

Stick to facts.  Not talking points.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2020, 07:31:18 AM »

Eh ... 14 days is on the very far edge of the incubation period. The median is about 5 days, and  symptoms appear within 11 days for 98 percent of cases.
Certainly it's not unreasonable to suggest that had Crozier's requests been taken seriously from the onset (he wrote his letter March 30), there would be fewer ill sailors from the carrier's crew today.
How many less seems impossible to know, but we know that social distancing and similar measures help, so it seems almost certain.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2020, 07:37:07 AM »
Eh ... 14 days is on the very far edge of the incubation period. The median is about 5 days, and  symptoms appear within 11 days for 98 percent of cases.
Certainly it's not unreasonable to suggest that had Crozier's requests been taken seriously from the onset (he wrote his letter March 30), there would be fewer ill sailors from the carrier's crew today.
How many less seems impossible to know, but we know that social distancing and similar measures help, so it seems almost certain.

That's not really the same argument I was making.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2020, 11:07:42 AM »

That's not really the same argument I was making.

A ~14-day incubation period certainly means that the numbers of confirmed cases will eventually grow among people who were in contact with infected individuals while they were contagious. But the sooner you get people separated (Capt. Crosier's goal), the fewer people you'll have in contact with infected individuals while they're contagious.

So yeah, the 95 cases were inevitably going to grow...but maybe not to 550 by now....

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »

A ~14-day incubation period certainly means that the numbers of confirmed cases will eventually grow among people who were in contact with infected individuals while they were contagious. But the sooner you get people separated (Capt. Crosier's goal), the fewer people you'll have in contact with infected individuals while they're contagious.

So yeah, the 95 cases were inevitably going to grow...but maybe not to 550 by now....

Again not my point. Removing him as captain caused nothing.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2020, 11:22:42 AM »

Correct. They removed him as captain and did nothing, which caused no abatement in the spread. So the removal caused a continuation of the nothing that the Navy was doing. If they had kept him as captain and heeded his requests to debark and isolate, that would have caused something - a lessening of the spread.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2020, 11:31:19 AM »

Nope.  The virus would have spread regardless if he would have been fired or not.

Stick to facts.  Not talking points.

Hey, I just said in plain English that I wasn't talking about the virus or spread of the virus. I was talking ONLY about the way the captain was treated.

It's really pretty easy to read this and know what I meant. If you want to argue, find someone else.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2020, 11:33:14 AM »

Again, my point was not that removing him would have affected how many cases there were. But I suspect you know that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2020, 11:40:33 AM »

It's fair to say the bigger issue here was ignoring him than removing him, but the removal is  symptomatic of a mindset that values all the wrong things at the expense of what's important.
And certainly that mindset has existed within the Pentagon long before the current CINC was around.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2020, 11:42:40 AM »
Hey, I just said in plain English that I wasn't talking about the virus or spread of the virus. I was talking ONLY about the way the captain was treated.

It's really pretty easy to read this and know what I meant. If you want to argue, find someone else.

Write better. I can’t help it that you communicate poorly.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2020, 12:23:23 PM »

Write better. I can’t help it that you communicate poorly.

And you just continue your chico-esque posting. Twist anyone's words so you can argue just for the sake of argument.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2020, 01:31:49 PM »
And you just continue your chico-esque posting. Twist anyone's words so you can argue just for the sake of argument.

Not gunna lie, you do the same thing.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2020, 02:01:07 PM »
Hey Modly, Crozier - knock it off!

(Sorry - couldn't help myself.)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2020, 08:41:06 AM »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2020, 03:52:16 PM »
Not gunna lie, you do the same thing.

I probably do - although not purposely. And I try to apologize if I am called out.

An example? You posted that there was shortage of PPE in Wisconsin. I replied asking if you were calling hospital admins and doctors lying. I was wrong - I should have questioned what you said - based on exactly what you said - by simply pointing out that hospitals in Wisconsin were complaining of PPE shortages while you said there were none. Though not to absolve you entirely. You made a statement based on anecdotal experience and applied it to all hospitals in Wisconsin.

but, all in all, your point is well taken.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2020, 04:58:32 PM »
Thoughts and prayers to the family of the heroic sailor and his/her crewmates.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2020, 09:36:23 PM »
He's back??

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/us/politics/coronavirus-navy-roosevelt-crozier.html

That's good stuff, but I fear Crozier might have been too guilty of doing the right thing for this administration's liking.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2020, 05:51:37 AM »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2020, 08:40:14 AM »
That's good stuff, but I fear Crozier might have been too guilty of doing the right thing for this administration's liking.

Whistleblowers punished by party leaders for trying to save lives. Hmm, where have we seen that before.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2020, 02:11:40 PM »