'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: MU brings back Justin Gainey as assistant coach  (Read 18230 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: MU brings back Justin Gainey as assistant coach
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2020, 06:31:58 PM »
And your clown show group that hijacks every thread and makes it against Wojo isn't insanity? 

I'll tell you what.  If you don't like what's going on, call Scholl and leave the boards until a new coach is in town.

Same people.  Every thread.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2020, 02:11:12 PM »
And your clown show group that hijacks every thread and makes it against Wojo isn't insanity? 

I'll tell you what.  If you don't like what's going on, call Scholl and leave the boards until a new coach is in town.
I'll tell you what. Take your court jester show to the BOT and you can all slurp this coach's abject mediocrity. Some of us expect a hell of a lot more than mediocrity.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2020, 02:35:54 PM »

Like Dwayne Killings?  Like Stan Johnson?
How many games have Killings and Johnson helped us win in the NCAA tournament?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2020, 02:38:41 PM »
How many games have Killings and Johnson helped us win in the NCAA tournament?

None. Ipso fatso, they must suck.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2020, 03:58:49 PM »
I'll tell you what. Take your court jester show to the BOT and you can all slurp this coach's abject mediocrity. Some of us expect a hell of a lot more than mediocrity.

That’ll show, ‘em!  Have to imagine the University will fire him now after that post
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2020, 05:40:37 PM »
That’ll show, ‘em!  Have to imagine the University will fire him now after that post

willie with his best "I know you are but what am I" effort? Color me unsurprised.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2020, 12:28:48 AM »
Sure he's been very successful...for the level he's been at. I just don't think he'd be able to recruit the level of players MU would need to be a consistent Big East contender. Lot different waters swimming with 2 and 3* players(and lower) that he gets at Bradley as opposed to the 4 and 5* guys he'd HAVE to be recruiting for MU.

I think the infatuation is for one reason only...the stability people think he'd bring. That's it.
College Coaches have consistently said its harder to recruit at the mid to low levels of D1. It is much easier to recruit at high majors .There was a good research report in this  a little while back on this and I will post if I can find.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2020, 07:54:21 AM »
Gainey coming back is a solid hire.   If he had never worked at MU before, his resume would be what MU is looking for.   The fact that he is familiar with MU, comfortable with Wojo, and wanted to come back is great.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2020, 08:25:33 AM »
Gainey coming back is a solid hire.   If he had never worked at MU before, his resume would be what MU is looking for.   The fact that he is familiar with MU, comfortable with Wojo, and wanted to come back is great.

Really? His resume is what they would be looking for? 2 years as an assistant and that justifies associate head coach? At this pace he’ll be an NBA coach in no time

Bring back FFP!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2020, 08:33:19 AM »
No, as a replacement for Stan.   Oy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

panda

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2020, 08:38:07 AM »

That’s an extremely positive spin on the hire.

The extremely negative spin would be that working for Wojo is not a very desirable position and he had a hard time finding someone outside of his immediate network.

The truth is somewhere in between.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2020, 08:40:07 AM »
Positive spin is what I do.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2020, 08:43:13 AM »

The extremely negative spin would be that working for Wojo is not a very desirable position and he had a hard time finding someone outside of his immediate network.

Marquette luring away an assistant from a program like Arizona is only a positive thing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2020, 08:53:29 AM »

Uh...he hired Stan and Dwayne from outside his network.

Marquette luring away an assistant from a program like Arizona is only a positive thing.

Yeah no kidding.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2020, 08:54:10 AM »
And an established experienced assistant coach wanted to come back.   From my perspective, it takes more logical gymnastics to spin it negatively.

panda

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2020, 09:08:10 AM »

Not my opinion. I simply stated the two ends of the spectrum.

Personally I think it was a safe hire which is perfectly fine in the given climate.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2020, 09:19:27 AM »
We have some talented pretzels here on Scoop -- able to twist themselves in all kinds of knots to make bringing back Gainey a huge negative.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2020, 09:30:33 AM »
As I said before. What program has had 2 assistants get head coaching jobs in less than a year? I agree some candidates may not have been interested because of the pandemic. It's not because coming here is a dead end. Gainey has SW and West ties and that was Stan's territory so it's a perfect fit.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2020, 10:40:51 AM »
My god.

Some of you cannot truly be MU fans.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2020, 10:41:14 AM »
Really? His resume is what they would be looking for? 2 years as an assistant and that justifies associate head coach? At this pace he’ll be an NBA coach in no time

Gainey had more than 2 years of experience as an assistant coach prior to his re-hire at Marquette.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2020, 10:45:33 AM »
My god.

Yep. And some of them are the same folks who think MU should have hired Chris Beard -- whose only season as a D1 coach was at a low-major.

They must have totally flipped out when our administration hired Buzz to replace Crean.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2020, 02:54:51 PM »
My god.

Oh boy. The pitch forks might be coming out in full force here...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2020, 02:43:53 PM »
willie with his best "I know you are but what am I" effort? Color me unsurprised.
Color you clueless. You totally missed the responses point. But that is not unusual for you.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Doo

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2020, 10:06:09 PM »
I think Gainey has a better resume than Stan did when he was hired.  Gainey played at NC State, then spent 3 years on NCST staff, 1 Yr as Asst. at Elon, 4 Yrs at App. State as an Asst, 3 Yrs at MU, then 1 Yr at Santa Clara & 2 Years at Arizona as an Asst at both. 

Stan played at So. Utah & Bemidji, 4 Yrs Asst Coach at D2 Bemidji & SW Baptist.  Asst. Coach  1 Yr Cal Northridge, 3 Yrs Utah, 2 Years Drake & 2 Yrs ASU.

Coming into the MU job Justin’s resume is as good or better than Stan’s was when he was hired.  Your “2 years as an assistant” is way off the mark.   

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2020, 08:14:11 AM »
I think Gainey has a better resume than Stan did when he was hired.  Gainey played at NC State, then spent 3 years on NCST staff, 1 Yr as Asst. at Elon, 4 Yrs at App. State as an Asst, 3 Yrs at MU, then 1 Yr at Santa Clara & 2 Years at Arizona as an Asst at both. 

Stan played at So. Utah & Bemidji, 4 Yrs Asst Coach at D2 Bemidji & SW Baptist.  Asst. Coach  1 Yr Cal Northridge, 3 Yrs Utah, 2 Years Drake & 2 Yrs ASU.

Coming into the MU job Justin’s resume is as good or better than Stan’s was when he was hired.  Your “2 years as an assistant” is way off the mark.   

Just follow Herb Sendek.

Stan was an assistant to Mark Phelps at Drake. Phelps was an assistant to Sendek. Stan was an assistant to Sendek at Arizona St.

Gainey played for Sendek and worked under him there as well. Gainey was an assistant for Sendek at Santa Clara. Gainey was an advisor for Sean Miller at Arizona. Miller was an assistant for Sendek at North Carolina St. where Gainey played for Sendek. Sendek was also an assistant under Miller at Arizona.

Phelps was an assistant at MU with Stan.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:35:24 AM by shoothoops »

feedback