[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU brings back Justin Gainey as assistant coach  (Read 18316 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: MU brings back Justin Gainey as assistant coach
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2020, 07:15:08 AM »
bring back Wardle and dump wojo.

Some people's infatuation with Brian Wardle to be MU's next Coach is just baffling to me. Absolutely baffling.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2020, 07:23:15 AM »
Some people's infatuation with Brian Wardle to be MU's next Coach is just baffling to me. Absolutely baffling.

Because he has been very successful.  Especially at Bradley which was in terrible shape before he got there.  And he's an alum.

I'm not saying I want him as MU's next coach, but it's easy to see why people would like him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2020, 07:37:18 AM »
Because he has been very successful.  Especially at Bradley which was in terrible shape before he got there.  And he's an alum.

I'm not saying I want him as MU's next coach, but it's easy to see why people would like him.

Sure he's been very successful...for the level he's been at. I just don't think he'd be able to recruit the level of players MU would need to be a consistent Big East contender. Lot different waters swimming with 2 and 3* players(and lower) that he gets at Bradley as opposed to the 4 and 5* guys he'd HAVE to be recruiting for MU.

I think the infatuation is for one reason only...the stability people think he'd bring. That's it.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2020, 07:44:45 AM »
I completely agree with you.  And because of the nostalgia factor.

I wouldn't take him now either.  But if he takes Bradley to that next level - where success is constant and sustained - then I would be more interested.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2020, 07:48:05 AM »
The PAC 12 isn't as cash rich as the Big 10 or SEC, but they're at least on par with the Big East. And Arizona is probably one of the better paying PAC 12 schools. Being able to pluck an assistant coach from there is impressive, regardless of previous connections with Wojo.

Though maybe getting away from Sean Miller was Gaineys primary concern.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2020, 08:24:42 AM »
Here is a snippet from an article prior to the 2018-2019 season. Gainey's buyout expired on 4/1/20, hired at Marquette on 4/3/20.

"Gainey will be paid $290,000 annually and Peters $275,000 through the end of the 2019-20 season, according to contracts obtained by the Star through public records requests. The contracts are fully guaranteed, unless the assistants are fired for cause. Gainey and Peters must pay $50,000 buyouts if they leave voluntarily before April 2020. "

Viper

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2020, 08:28:40 AM »
We can all assume the hottest girl in school won't go out with us, and that's probably fair...but unless you ask, you won't completely know for sure. And if you never ask and find out later on, she would have even though she was still with her old boyfriend at the time, you would regret it forever. If she says no, big deal, you were expecting her to. Nothing lost. You work down the list of hot girls until you have exhausted the list of hot chicks and have to move on to the average one's. They will always be there for you.
Well said!!
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2020, 08:33:48 AM »

Wardle will make you crap your shorts, and like it!
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2020, 09:23:55 AM »
Here is a snippet from an article prior to the 2018-2019 season. Gainey's buyout expired on 4/1/20, hired at Marquette on 4/3/20.

"Gainey will be paid $290,000 annually and Peters $275,000 through the end of the 2019-20 season, according to contracts obtained by the Star through public records requests. The contracts are fully guaranteed, unless the assistants are fired for cause. Gainey and Peters must pay $50,000 buyouts if they leave voluntarily before April 2020. "

WOW! I had no idea that assistants made this kind of money.

From what you've outlined here, makes it seem like he really wants to be at MU.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »
WOW! I had no idea that assistants made this kind of money.

From what you've outlined here, makes it seem like he really wants to be at MU.

I actually think that's surprisingly low for a school like Arizona. he is undoubtedly making more at MU. Likely significantly more.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2020, 11:19:38 AM »
I actually think that's surprisingly low for a school like Arizona. he is undoubtedly making more at MU. Likely significantly more.

Maybe, I don't know. But I think a smart assistant coach would happily take a lateral move to get away from Sean Miller right now.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2020, 11:23:11 AM »
Let's see. Two assistants were named head coaches in less than a year. How many programs can say that?

I don't know.  But clearly, Wojo is a leader and groomer of men.  Stan and Brett would be nowhere, if not for the intellect, wisdom, and leadership of Steve.  Thank you for the reminder.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2020, 11:28:31 AM »
Maybe, I don't know. But I think a smart assistant coach would happily take a lateral move to get away from Sean Miller right now.

Gainey was hired at Arizona after the DeAndre Ayton stuff came out.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »
I don't know.  But clearly, Wojo is a leader and groomer of men.  Stan and Brett would be nowhere, if not for the intellect, wisdom, and leadership of Steve.  Thank you for the reminder.

No need for the sarcasm.  He was simply stating a fact.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2020, 01:11:48 PM »
Gainey was hired at Arizona after the DeAndre Ayton stuff came out.

Right, I know that. I wasn't implying that Gainey was part of the Ayton scheme. Just that he might not want to stick around with Sean Miller to see how everything plays out. A lateral move to a more stable situation is probably appealing.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2020, 01:26:47 PM »

Based on what? Have you seen the salary schedules?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2020, 01:50:09 PM »
Right, I know that. I wasn't implying that Gainey was part of the Ayton scheme. Just that he might not want to stick around with Sean Miller to see how everything plays out. A lateral move to a more stable situation is probably appealing.

I didn't mean to suggest you thought Gainey was involved with Ayton. Just pointing out that Gainey went to work for Miller after that all blew up (in fact, it appears Gainey was hired to replace Book Richardson), so he went in well aware of who he was working for and what might be coming down the pike.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
Wojo is the worst! Never hires good assistant coaches!

Except for Stan.

And Killings.

And Nelson.

But otherwise, never!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2020, 02:23:35 PM »

I haven't seen the salary schedules, but I am fairly confident that Johnson made well north of that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »

You have to click through on this link...but the lowest of the top 10 paid assistants in CBB two years ago was Melvin Watkins at Arkansas at $373,481...the highest was Kenny Payne at Kentucky at $805,000.

https://fansided.com/2017/06/29/highest-paid-college-basketball-assistant-coaches-2016-17/10/

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2020, 03:21:40 PM »
You have to click through on this link...but the lowest of the top 10 paid assistants in CBB two years ago was Melvin Watkins at Arkansas at $373,481...the highest was Kenny Payne at Kentucky at $805,000.

https://fansided.com/2017/06/29/highest-paid-college-basketball-assistant-coaches-2016-17/10/

It's not surprising that the third assistant at Arizona wasn't close to being among the 10 highest paid assistants in the country.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2020, 03:35:16 PM »
It's not surprising that the third assistant at Arizona wasn't close to being among the 10 highest paid assistants in the country.

That wasn't my point...someone in here said he was surprised assistants got paid that much. I said I thought they got more. I bet he's over $300,000 at MU.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2020, 04:33:14 PM »
Some people infatuation with Wojo as our head coach is not only baffling beyond belief, but is borderline insanity. Meltdown amplified every year. Take it to the bank.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2020, 05:17:36 PM »
Some people infatuation with Wojo as our head coach is not only baffling beyond belief, but is borderline insanity. Meltdown amplified every year. Take it to the bank.

And your clown show group that hijacks every thread and makes it against Wojo isn't insanity? 

I'll tell you what.  If you don't like what's going on, call Scholl and leave the boards until a new coach is in town. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Warrior-Eagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2020, 06:30:32 PM »
And your clown show group that hijacks every thread and makes it against Wojo isn't insanity? 

I'll tell you what.  If you don't like what's going on, call Scholl and leave the boards until a new coach is in town.

+1000

feedback