[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dwayne Killings promoted to Associate Head Coach  (Read 9631 times)

shoothoops

• All American
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:46:17 AM by shoothoops »

Earl Tatum

• All American
Re: Dwayne Killings promoted to Associate Head Coach
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 10:03:21 AM »
Liked Stan but Killings would be a good backup. Wojo needs backing.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 10:09:39 AM »
Liked Stan but Killings would be a good backup. Wojo needs backing.

Probably did not want to lose him to LMU, I still like Joe Chapman as an assistant, very likeable person or maybe Steve Novak, but he has a good job right now, not
to tough.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 10:14:48 AM »
Probably did not want to lose him to LMU, I still like Joe Chapman as an assistant, very likeable person or maybe Steve Novak, but he has a good job right now, not
to tough.

Nah, MU doesn't want to lose DK to being an assistant at a Power 5 school or head coach at a low major right now. Stan wasn't going to take DK with him.  MU had two good recruiters. Now it has one. MU cannot afford to lose DK right now. MU needs to hire a proven recruiter.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:40:26 AM by shoothoops »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 10:24:22 AM »
Nah, MU doesn't want to lose DK to being an assistant at a Power 5 school or head coach at a low major right now. Stan wasn't going to take DK with him.  MU had two good recruiters. Now it has one. MU cannot afford to lose DK right now. MI needs to hire a proven recruiter.

I believe MU does too!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 10:39:00 AM »
Steve Novak, are you kidding me. No coaching or recruiting experience, never expressed any interest. Why not Jon McGlocklin? He also played basketball and announced Bucks games!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 10:43:54 AM »
to tough.

Joe is in the early stages of building a AAU empire.  He already has 46 youth teams playing under the Champman Basketball Academy flags and hundreds of more kids who participate in CBA's regular skill sessions & private workouts, not to mention summer camps.  I'm not sure he wants to give up what he and his wife have built for everything that comes with being a college assistant.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 11:25:41 AM »
Joe is in the early stages of building a AAU empire.  He already has 46 youth teams playing under the Champman Basketball Academy flags and hundreds of more kids who participate in CBA's regular skill sessions & private workouts, not to mention summer camps.  I'm not sure he wants to give up what he and his wife have built for everything that comes with being a college assistant.   

Yes, my grandson works with Joe, he is doing a nice job with him.  I have been to a few practices of his, and the kids really like him, and he is very personable.  I was
sitting in the corner of the gym watching my grandson, and Joe walked right up to me and introduced himself to me, very impressive.  He did not have to do that, but
he did.  Assistant coaches now adays make a lot of money, what Joe does is a hustle.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 06:59:26 PM »

Dang, that's impressive.   Good for chap.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 07:01:26 PM »
Steve Novak, are you kidding me. No coaching or recruiting experience, never expressed any interest. Why not Jon McGlocklin? He also played basketball and announced Bucks games!

Homer is a little mad you didn't mention his name.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 07:07:23 PM »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 07:11:56 PM »
If Dwayne Killings every becomes head coach, his name alone should be able to pull a 4* recruit.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 09:34:05 PM »
MU had two good recruiters. Now it has one.

Wojo and who else? You don't think Killings is a good recruiter?

Oh wait ... I forgot ... Every good recruit we've landed the last 6 years went to Marquette despite Wojo. He gets no credit when one signs, all blame when one goes elsewhere. Duh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 09:22:12 AM »
Stan was a glue guy on an unproven coaching bench. Outside of Markus, the coaches have yet to successfully really develop a player. To me, Stan seemed like the only stable one. Killings is a fine man, i am sure. Losing Stan hurts, definitely changes things as far as a steady hand on the bench goes. Or how recruits look at their upside in committing to MU.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 09:27:15 AM »
Stan was a glue guy on an unproven coaching bench. Outside of Markus, the coaches have yet to successfully really develop a player. To me, Stan seemed like the only stable one. Killings is a fine man, i am sure. Losing Stan hurts, definitely changes things as far as a steady hand on the bench goes. Or how recruits look at their upside in committing to MU.

What evidence do you have for any of this?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 09:30:36 AM »

Believe it or not Sacar did develop, no he wasn't a star but he definitely developed. Sam also developed before he left.  Bailey developed from one year to the next, we just haven't seen the massive jump to his age we were hoping for
Maigh Eo for Sam

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 09:34:22 AM »
Believe it or not Sacar did develop, no he wasn't a star but he definitely developed. Sam also developed before he left.  Bailey developed from one year to the next, we just haven't seen the massive jump to his age we were hoping for

I'll give you Sacar. Sam expectedly progressed as 4 star recruit would. But they blew it and Sam left due to team mismanagement. So in a way, no they didn't develop Sam. Bailey, no way. He is soft as baby sh*t.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:38:20 AM by BobWildLoyalist »

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 09:37:53 AM »

What evidence do you have for any of this?

Evidence, your honor? Most of what I said was opinion based. Clearly Stan getting a promotion and getting a HC gig plays into my comment. Being highly invested in this program and a life long college hoops fan, you can see this staff could get em, but they couldn't coach em.

I would love to see Greg get healthy and prove me wrong. Or Cain make a huge jump next year. But I just don't see it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 09:56:11 AM »
I'll give you Sacar. Sam expectedly progressed as 4 star recruit would. But they blew it and Sam left due to team mismanagement. So in a way, no they didn't develop Sam. Bailey, no way. He is soft as baby sh*t.

Four star recruits like Steve Taylor, Haanif Cheatham and Erik Williams? No... Sam progressed under the coaches, how much impact is debatable but you cannot say "he was a four star recruit" any comment to roster mismanagement isn't relevant when discussing player progression. Leave that for an overall Wojo grade thread.

Bailey was better this year than last that is factual. He did not take the jump that people wanted so that he could seamlessly replace Sam or Joey, hence your "he's soft as baby sh*t" comment
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 10:19:00 AM »
Four star recruits like Steve Taylor, Haanif Cheatham and Erik Williams? No... Sam progressed under the coaches, how much impact is debatable but you cannot say "he was a four star recruit" any comment to roster mismanagement isn't relevant when discussing player progression. Leave that for an overall Wojo grade thread.

Bailey was better this year than last that is factual. He did not take the jump that people wanted so that he could seamlessly replace Sam or Joey, hence your "he's soft as baby sh*t" comment

Stop it, Galway.

If a player progressed, he did it because it was "normal" for him to have done it, and he did it despite Wojo.

If a player didn't progress as much as we hoped, it was 100% Wojo's fault.

If a 4-star didn't progress under Buzz or Crean, it was 100% the player's fault.

You have to understand the Nojo Rules if you're gonna comment here.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 10:21:19 AM »

Some players do not improve, because they basically have peaked. Morrow work hard on developing a shot, but he just did not have the skill to do it.

I think it is somewhat of a recruiting issue. You can sign the best players you can or you can identify lower ranked players that still have upside. I think Bo Ryan was very good at recruiting players that had the ability to develop into very good players. This work really well with players that were willing to redshirt.

Body type also matters. Cain will never be a physically strong player and therefore will never be as good as John. John had a big jump from freshmen to sophomore year. He had a bad thumb this year, so his progress was limited.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 11:09:36 AM »

A four star should grow and progress, thats the whole idea guys. Roster mismanagement can play a huge factor in growth. Players being unhappy, teammate issues and chemistry, opportunity on the court etc.  I am not going tick for tack here, I am acknowledging the fact that wojo is not a good developmental coach. To MU82's point, wojo is far behind where buzz and crean were in developing players.  Both talent and motivation wise. Buzz and Crean recruits would run through a brick wall for them. 

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 11:14:17 AM »
A four star should grow and progress, thats the whole idea guys. Roster mismanagement can play a huge factor in growth. Players being unhappy, teammate issues and chemistry, opportunity on the court etc.  I am not going tick for tack here, I am acknowledging the fact that wojo is not a good developmental coach. To MU82's point, wojo is far behind where buzz and crean were in developing players.  Both talent and motivation wise. Buzz and Crean recruits would run through a brick wall for them.

Many of their players have excelled beyond expectation in the NBA as well - due to hard work/hustle.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 11:30:39 AM »

A) we agree a four star should progress, that is why coaches recruit them, so the coach can develop them. Sam progressed as a Four Star, you seem to write it off as natural just because he was a Four Star recruit, there are ample examples where Four Star recruits do not develop, because the coach did not develop them.

B) Roster mismagement can play a big factor you are right. But that was not the context you brought it up in. You want to debate usage and minutes in terms of development then absolutely that's Duane Wilson or JJJ when Henry was here. You want to debate roster mismanagement leading to an already steadily developing all Big East player transferring like Sam then that's not relevant.

C) You quoted my post and broke it down tick for tack so you either did or do want to go tick for tack.

D) I never said that he wasn't. But now that it's brought up  Buzz's ability to develop is largely overstated. Butler did develop, Crowder and DJO were ready when they arrived. Jamil stayed about where he was. Only Vander and Davante seemed to "Develop".

At the end of the day I am not Pro Wojo, I clearly stated I'm off the train, but I am sick of inaccurate arguments and hyperbole by the people who have always hated Wojo, this is one of those instances.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 11:52:38 AM »
A) we agree a four star should progress, that is why coaches recruit them, so the coach can develop them. Sam progressed as a Four Star, you seem to write it off as natural just because he was a Four Star recruit, there are ample examples where Four Star recruits do not develop, because the coach did not develop them.

B) Roster mismagement can play a big factor you are right. But that was not the context you brought it up in. You want to debate usage and minutes in terms of development then absolutely that's Duane Wilson or JJJ when Henry was here. You want to debate roster mismanagement leading to an already steadily developing all Big East player transferring like Sam then that's not relevant.

C) You quoted my post and broke it down tick for tack so you either did or do want to go tick for tack.

D) I never said that he wasn't. But now that it's brought up  Buzz's ability to develop is largely overstated. Butler did develop, Crowder and DJO were ready when they arrived. Jamil stayed about where he was. Only Vander and Davante seemed to "Develop".

At the end of the day I am not Pro Wojo, I clearly stated I'm off the train, but I am sick of inaccurate arguments and hyperbole by the people who have always hated Wojo, this is one of those instances.

Take it to another level and look up the number of players playing internationally.  Wojo misses the mark here as well.  That's the telltale sign his recruiting/development is vastly overrated - and garbage. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 12:27:55 PM »
Take it to another level and look up the number of players playing internationally.  Wojo misses the mark here as well.  That's the telltale sign his recruiting/development is vastly overrated - and garbage.

Wrong paragraph quoted?
Maigh Eo for Sam

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 12:32:20 PM »
And another thread becomes a crap-show of proving or disproving personal opinions of how bad/good Wojo is as a coach.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 05:20:43 PM »

Fake news.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 03:02:52 PM »
Homer is a little mad you didn't mention his name.

Actually we are holding off on Homer until Wogie goes to Duke after a stellar performance at MU.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 03:47:37 PM »
During the season, I heard a pregame radio interview with Coach Killings. Prior to that, I knew nothing about the guy. I came away highly impressed.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2020, 09:17:48 AM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 09:32:01 AM »
https://twitter.com/coachingchanges/status/1243511223246872579?s=21

Joke or not - had to share. We can dream

I’m sure it is a joke and that Wojo won’t be giving that title to a second person within the same offseason he gave it to Killings, but didn’t Stan and Brett both have the associate head coach title at the same time under Wojo?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2020, 09:33:36 AM »
Don't worry about the title.  It's just window dressing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 07:52:25 PM »
Jerry Wainwright
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2020, 08:00:06 PM »

feedback