[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Good news/positive stories  (Read 24310 times)

Coleman

• All American
Good news/positive stories
« on: March 20, 2020, 12:53:42 PM »
Let's have at least one thread that keeps things positive. I'll start:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/inspiring-galvanizing-beautiful-spirit-2020/608308/

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Good news/positive stories
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 01:25:29 PM »
Just got home from grocery store. Way more crowded than usual, but no bulk buying. Also, people (shoppers) were way more friendly than usual. We'll see if that lasts. Hopefully, it will.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 06:19:55 PM »
Was able to successfully place an online order from Mariano's for delivery next Tuesday, including toilet paper, disinfectant wipes, and all the food I wanted. They prevented you from buying TP/wipes in bulk, which is smart.

Fingers crossed I actually get all of that stuff.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 06:52:43 PM »
Silver lining: there was a crap ton more people out walking and biking the last few days than I've seen other than the most perfect of weekend holidays.  At least people are out getting some fresh air and exercise.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 09:05:56 PM »
Silver lining: there was a crap ton more people out walking and biking the last few days than I've seen other than the most perfect of weekend holidays.  At least people are out getting some fresh air and exercise.

Yep, our neighborhood is jammed with folks out walking and biking. Even chatting a respectful distance apart. It’s nice.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 10:11:14 PM »
I have seen the same increase in people out walking, running, biking, shooting hoops and such. People are staying at a safe distance, but seem to be in a good place when they're outside.

Certainly a welcome break from the stress of the news....

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 10:39:41 PM »
The ice went out on my lake today.
Have some patience, FFS.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 01:42:47 AM »

Wait, what?
You live in Nunavut?

I talked to a couple Antioch ice fishermen a few weeks ago, and they told me their season is about a quarter of the length it used to be. 

Antioch ice fishermen are supposed to be GW hoax callers. Most are believers.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 10:08:22 AM »

It’s nice your ice got to have a nice day out on the lake. Hopefully it kept its social distance.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 10:26:57 AM »
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 03:47:49 PM »
Starbucks giving free coffee to all healthcare workers and first responders till May

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 04:23:54 PM »
I was at a county park today - nice hiking trails with hills - and it was as crowded with people walking as you'll see on a typical Saturday during the summer.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 11:13:47 AM »
Drew Brees is a good dude

drewbrees
Brittany and I are committing $5,000,000 to the State of Louisiana in 2020. The priority now is helping our communities get through this tough time.
After considerable research and conversations with local organizations, we will be mobilizing our partnerships with Second Harvest Food Bank, Ochsner Health Systems, Walk-Ons, Jimmy Johns, Smalls Sliders and Waitr to prepare and deliver over 10,000 meals per day throughout Louisiana for as long as it takes to children on meal programs, seniors, and families in need. Let’s all do our part, maintain hope, and get through this together

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 03:38:20 PM »
Filed under .. potential good news.

I wonder if the recent militancy of handwashing and germaphobia .. will have an impact on global health 1-3-5-10 years down the line.

I mean, while it's always been important for children to wash their hands, this generation of children will have it pounded into their heads for 1-2-3-4-5 months. -- Not to mention all age groups.   

We often talk about people who "lived through the Great Depression, so they hide their money in the back yard 40 years later.."   Same thing with COVID19 and germs?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 07:53:37 PM »
Filed under .. potential good news.

I wonder if the recent militancy of handwashing and germaphobia .. will have an impact on global health 1-3-5-10 years down the line.

I mean, while it's always been important for children to wash their hands, this generation of children will have it pounded into their heads for 1-2-3-4-5 months. -- Not to mention all age groups.   

We often talk about people who "lived through the Great Depression, so they hide their money in the back yard 40 years later.."   Same thing with COVID19 and germs?

Fiserv is going to need a lot more sinks.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »
Fiserv is going to need a lot more sinks.

Will Foxconn allow them to have that much water?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 11:01:54 AM »
Christmas Lights Are Back: People Try To Brighten Spirits Amid Coronavirus Fear

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/christmas-in-coronavirus-093954398.html

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 11:21:57 AM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 11:44:51 AM »
I hope this is good news. But I doubt the FDA or hospital admins would allow it.

https://scitechdaily.com/mit-posts-free-plans-online-for-an-emergency-ventilator-that-can-be-built-for-100/

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 01:41:39 PM »
I hope this is good news. But I doubt the FDA or hospital admins would allow it.

https://scitechdaily.com/mit-posts-free-plans-online-for-an-emergency-ventilator-that-can-be-built-for-100/

UF as well.

A team from across the University of Florida is creating an open-source ventilator that can be built in 15 minutes for $125.

"My sincere wish is that all the effort we are doing is never used," says UF Health/UF Anesthesiology professor Samsun Lampotang "But on the other hand, I think I would be remiss as an engineer and a member of the University of Florida faculty if I don't do anything about it."

Open Source Ventilator Project:
https://simulation.health.ufl.edu/technology-development/open-source-ventilator-project/

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 01:47:19 PM »
Game changing test from local company Abbott Labs

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-27/abbott-launches-5-minute-covid-19-test-for-use-almost-anywhere

That’s great but what would be a game changer is that they freely share that with other labs to produce enough to test enough people to make a significant impact.
A la Jonas Salk.