[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Stan Johnson is new LMU Head Coach  (Read 58679 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Stan Johnson is new LMU Head Coach
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2020, 02:00:33 PM »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2020, 05:14:37 PM »
Stan finalizing his staff at LMU.

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1245062085798776836

Wow two former head coaches and a UCLA guy taking a step up in responsibility, nice work by Stan

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #227 on: April 01, 2020, 05:27:09 PM »
Wow two former head coaches and a UCLA guy taking a step up in responsibility, nice work by Stan

So any word about another assistant coach yet, of course, depending on where he lives could see somebody since he is not
being paid by MU yet?  Or ask Mane or Carton, who is there favorite coach, never know???

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #228 on: April 01, 2020, 06:53:13 PM »

Yep. Really good job by Stan. As of last week Stan had not yet visited LMU. Multiple assistants with L.A. backgrounds too. He also hired a former MU student manager as his DBO.

There have been a couple of nice articles and a podcast about Stan lately, how he and his family left Liberia, West Africa at age 10 and settled in Utah. How he tried soccer and hoops. Southern Utah when they were an NCAA team. Bemidji St. Minnesota. Working with Sendek, Boyle, Wojo. He loved MU. He does like the L.A. weather though.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #229 on: April 01, 2020, 07:51:10 PM »

Apparently Stan’s recruiting chops also extend to landing coaches. Seems he made good call to hire some guys with previous D-1 head coaching experience.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #230 on: April 01, 2020, 07:52:01 PM »
Apparently Stan’s recruiting chops also extend to landing coaches. Seems he made good call to hire some guys with previous D-1 head coaching experience.

Maybe he learned something in his time here

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2020, 02:37:32 AM »
One of these coaches was an absolute train wreck in four years at Wyoming. Not exactly sure how many bidders there were for his services.

The other guy spent last year as an assistant at USD after being fired at Nevada. I guess hiring him away from a fellow conference member is something though.

But let’s not act like he hired a couple successful coaches here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2020, 02:52:19 AM »
Also remember that Wojo’s best assistants, including Stan, weren’t former head coaches. No idea why hiring failed head coaches is a sign of success. I mean, they may be good hires, but not because they were former head coaches. More likely because they have the LA recruiting experience LMU needs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2020, 08:44:35 AM »
This dude will be cutting down the nets one day.

And we'll all be thinking of what could have been.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2020, 09:21:10 AM »

Highly unlikely.  If that were the case, he would have been snatched up long ago.  He was not on any top 10 assistant coach rankings of any of the last five years. 

Do our fans know we also have a former head coach on our staff?  Our fans want what he has done and our current staff already has done what he is doing.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2020, 09:40:09 AM »

Serious question ... we know Stan is aces as a recruiter, but what do you know about his coaching acumen, player development skills, etc. that make you certain he's a championship-caliber head coach?

We've heard plenty of criticism of Wojo in these areas - a fair amount justified - but why is his #1 assistant absolved of these criticisms? Has Wojo spent the past five seasons ignoring brilliant strategy and player development suggestions from his associate head coach?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2020, 09:45:29 AM »
Serious question ... we know Stan is aces as a recruiter, but what do you know about his coaching acumen, player development skills, etc. that make you certain he's a championship-caliber head coach?

We've heard plenty of criticism of Wojo in these areas - a fair amount justified - but why is his #1 assistant absolved of these criticisms? Has Wojo spent the past five seasons ignoring brilliant strategy and player development suggestions from his associate head coach?

Stan's gonna succeed because he had the foresight to hire an assistant who went 6-30 in the MWC his last two years as a head coach.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2020, 10:35:06 AM »

We don't know.  It is pure speculation.  I'm not going to go so far as to say Stan will be cutting down the nets one day.  I do think he will prove out to be a very good head coach, and will be coaching a high major within 5 years.  My gut tells me he will be very successful at a high major.

I base this opinion off of the belief that the best coaches know how to get the absolute most out of a player, and are bright enough to see how all of the puzzle pieces of a roster fit together, and to truly know the psyche of each individual player - as to what are the best buttons to push.

I believe Stan has incredible people skills, and is quite bright.  The level of basketball knowledge all D-1 coaches have, is vast.  Some are slightly better at X's and O's than others.  But some are definitely better recruiters and motivators than others.  I believe Stan will be a great recruiter and extract the absolute most out of his players.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2020, 10:40:35 AM »
I know Stan was a big reason Markus came here, but what other recruits did he help get? Or were we just in the final lists with some 5 stars that went elsewhere than Stan played a big role getting us that far?

Just wondering if Stan’s recruiting is a little overrated after we talked this year about our lack of talent.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2020, 11:14:31 AM »
I know Stan was a big reason Markus came here, but what other recruits did he help get? Or were we just in the final lists with some 5 stars that went elsewhere than Stan played a big role getting us that far?

Just wondering if Stan’s recruiting is a little overrated after we talked this year about our lack of talent.

At least Bailey and Jayce.  I could be wrong but I believe he got us Dexter Katin and Koby as well.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2020, 11:26:25 AM »
At least Bailey and Jayce.  I could be wrong but I believe he got us Dexter Katin and Koby as well.

Other than Markus, the rest where average to below average.  I will say MU is to far from the West Coast kids, they tried Texas and failed there as well.  Sure you can
pull some kids from there, but really Stan got Bailey and Markus for four years, the rest where transfers that were average.  Hold judgement on Akenno, but what I saw a year ago he looked pretty good.  But then again I really thought Koby was the real deal, and he was not.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2020, 11:28:50 AM »

Tacking on to Galway - Most recently was lead on Dawson, and Oso.  Also believe he was lead on Theo, Greg and Jamal.  Prior to Killings coming on board, Stan was our primary recruiter with Brett Nelson also assisting as I recall.

I believe we've under-performed our talent level under Wojo on a consistent basis.  Player development has not been very good.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2020, 11:31:57 AM »
Tacking on to Galway - Most recently was lead on Dawson, and Oso.  Also believe he was lead on Theo, Greg and Jamal.  Prior to Killings coming on board, Stan was our primary recruiter with Brett Nelson also assisting as I recall.

I believe we've under-performed our talent level under Wojo on a consistent basis.  Player development has not been very good.

Didn't he have something to do with Torrence as well?
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2020, 12:53:09 PM »

Wojo was the lead on Dawson. Stan was the lead on Osa. DK was the lead on Lewis.

DK was the lead on Torrence.

Stan was the lead on pretty much everyone west of Minnesota.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:27:36 PM by BM1090 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2020, 01:01:54 PM »
Didn't he have something to do with Torrence as well?

DK was the guy there.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #245 on: April 02, 2020, 01:05:51 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #246 on: May 13, 2020, 07:08:03 PM »
Stan landed his first high school commit yesterday.  Unrated in three services, a 2 star in another.  A guard from Southern California.  A glue guy that he will start to add more talent to.  It is a slow process if done right.  Add a 3 star here and there and it starts to build.
— Plato

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #247 on: May 13, 2020, 08:40:06 PM »
Stan landed his first high school commit yesterday.  Unrated in three services, a 2 star in another.  A guard from Southern California.  A glue guy that he will start to add more talent to.  It is a slow process if done right.  Add a 3 star here and there and it starts to build.
Oh man, you’re dedicated.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #248 on: May 13, 2020, 09:30:04 PM »
— Plato

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #249 on: May 13, 2020, 09:40:17 PM »
Stan was excited on Twitter today talking about his recruit without being able to talk about his recruit (NCAA rules?). 

https://scorebooklive.com/california/qa-with-lamaj-lewis-stan-johnsons-first-2021-loyola-marymount-basketball-commit-discusses-why-he-made-pledge/

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/lamaj-lewis
The young man has had a recent growth spurt. 6-6 point guard. Could be a classic late bloomer. Smart move by Stan.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback