[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stan Johnson is new LMU Head Coach  (Read 59309 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Stan Johnson is new LMU Head Coach
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2020, 03:22:03 PM »
Here's hoping all the Stan stans go with him!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2020, 03:34:44 PM »
This coaching staff has turned a blind eye to the importance of analytics and the results on the court have suffered.

Our staff has shown no ability to effectively use analytics. If someone is getting promoted based on analytics and these are the results, that's a problem.

So promoting Jake, who was in charge of analytics (and other operations programs including recruiting), is turning a "blind eye"?

connie

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2020, 03:49:17 PM »
Good luck out west Stan. Thanks for your time at MU.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2020, 04:01:42 PM »
Always like to see those who have done well by us succeed.  Best wishes to Stan!
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2020, 04:02:14 PM »
Here’s how this plays out:  Wojo finishes out his contract at MU. Stan has some success at LMU and proves coaching chops - MU hires him back. Stan leads us to promised land...which proves to be Wojo’s greatest contribution to the program.

#notteal

8-)

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2020, 04:19:21 PM »
Amazing campus and location, strong academics, poor athletics facilities but a new gym likely coming (they have some donors with deep pockets). After the Hank tragedy, the lawsuits and subsequent violations that were uncovered LMU leadership emphasized sports, especially basketball. Mike Dunlap had a great year (for LMU) in 18-19 but injuries cost him this year. They are set up to do well next year, which is why Dunlap was fired with a year left on his deal. If Saint Stan can keep LA kids at home (like Dunlap did Eli Scott) LMU can be top 5 in the WCC.

Dunlap made $675K, Stan probably making more.

http://www.laloyolan.com/news/university-plans-new-athletics-pavilion/article_14d1f245-399b-579d-ae62-2876690be524.html

Yep. Great location and Stan will be close to lots of nice places to live. Good for him.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2020, 04:23:22 PM »
Nice call.  Too bad our administration couldn't make the right call either.  Stan > Wojo.

Congrats to Stan.  Wojo's job just got a lot harder.  Ace recruiter.  Gone.

Congratulations to coach Johnson.

There is likely a reason a school that is consistently second tier in a weak conference was the first to hire him as head coach and it took a Marquette connection to do it.  He is a good recruiter, can he coach?  If he can why did it take this long?  Let LMU determine if he can, not MU.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2020, 04:44:00 PM »
Warrior Dad.The conference is better than you think.It was going to send 3 teams to the NCAA tourney.Those 3 teams probably would have beat MU.In my opinion a very underrated league.Also MU hired O'Neill,Crean,Williams and Wojo not knowing if any could coach.To single out Stan is wrong.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »
So promoting Jake, who was in charge of analytics (and other operations programs including recruiting), is turning a "blind eye"?

There are other aspects to coaching than analytics, so I don't want to sat that promoting Jake is automatically a "blind eye" situation.

That said, under Crean & especially Buzz, Marquette was a leader in use of analytics. We were tracking and aware of advanced stats before they were popular. Through the Bucks, we had and were using Synergy before most programs knew it existed.

We aren't there anymore and the decisions on the court make it painfully obvious.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2020, 05:07:06 PM »
Congratulations to coach Johnson.

There is likely a reason a school that is consistently second tier in a weak conference was the first to hire him as head coach and it took a Marquette connection to do it.  He is a good recruiter, can he coach?  If he can why did it take this long?  Let LMU determine if he can, not MU.

This is the exact type of job where a high major assistant usually starts their career.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2020, 05:23:38 PM »
Hire Joe Chapman!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2020, 05:43:54 PM »
Wow. Hope we retain all our recruits. Wojo's job just got harder. Really happy for Stan, though.
Wojo's job got harder? That is an understatement. He has made it harder due to him being in over his head.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2020, 05:48:00 PM »
Yep. Great location and Stan will be close to lots of nice places to live. Good for him.
Hope he is happy with the California lockdown.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2020, 06:19:14 PM »
This is the exact type of job where a high major assistant usually starts their career.

Agree completely. I really wish Wojo had taken a job like this about 4 years or so before taking the Marquette HC position. Both he and Marquette would be better off today and Scoop might not be such a war zone.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2020, 06:27:38 PM »
Stan musta interviewed via Skype, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2020, 06:33:26 PM »
Just scrolled Stan’s Twitter from last 10
or so days. That guy was one grateful dude and a great rep for MU. We lost a great one.

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2020, 06:53:16 PM »
or so days. That guy was one grateful dude and a great rep for MU. We lost a great one.

Alright. Let’s not go overboard here. His twitter account reads like LinkedIn pablum.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2020, 06:53:43 PM »
Stan musta interviewed via Skype, aina?

I’m more of a Google Hangouts guy myself.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2020, 07:09:50 PM »

Then why are you checking MUScoop? You won’t be getting that news, so no news matters here.

Still want to keep up on what’s going on. My comment was mostly directed at comments how Stan’s departure may/will impact program
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:11:46 PM by HutchwasClutch »

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2020, 07:42:18 PM »
LMU is Spanish for The MU

Warrior-Eagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2020, 08:03:24 PM »

I believe WOJO is accountable for hiring and developing his assistant coaches including Stan and Brett. Just an observation. In my business world I paid attention to my leaders that developed future leaders to sustain and grow my business. I reflected on the last MU head coach to develop a D1 coach and was struggling to come up with post Al list. I came up with Darrin Horn to WKU returning to his alma mater. There is the grad assistant Lawrence Franks under O'Neil that went to the penthouse with the Clippers. I am at a loss for coaches under Buzz that have developed into D1 coaches under him which could be my memory. Brett and Stan are major losses on and off the court for the University. Yet, Coach Killings has been a terrific addition to the University on and off the court from my experience. Just an observation.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2020, 08:05:32 PM »
I believe WOJO is accountable for hiring and developing his assistant coaches including Stan and Brett. Just an observation. In my business world I paid attention to my leaders that developed future leaders to sustain and grow my business. I reflected on the last MU head coach to develop a D1 coach and was struggling to come up with post Al list. I came up with Darrin Horn to WKU returning to his alma mater. There is the grad assistant Lawrence Franks under O'Neil that went to the penthouse with the Clippers. I am at a loss for coaches under Buzz that have developed into D1 coaches under him which could be my memory. Brett and Stan are major losses on and off the court for the University. Yet, Coach Killings has been a terrific addition to the University on and off the court from my experience. Just an observation.

Those who can’t do— teach.  Huh?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2020, 08:31:22 PM »
Here’s how this plays out:  Wojo finishes out his contract at MU. Stan has some success at LMU and proves coaching chops - MU hires him back. Stan leads us to promised land...which proves to be Wojo’s greatest contribution to the program.

#notteal

8-)

I hope so.

#alsoNoTeal

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2020, 08:31:41 PM »
In the world of bad news, this is great news!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2020, 08:42:46 PM »
LMU is Spanish for The MU

Nice  8-)

Stan did have the easiest Twitter handle change. Just added an "L" to his handle so it's "@LMUCoachJohnson".
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback