[March 18, 2024, 11:51:09 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 462152 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2650 on: May 26, 2020, 11:25:51 PM »
Easily. The coach just doesn't play them.

Could happen, but at the end of the season. Its not like they could transfer somewhere else and play that season. Transfer or not, either way they are sitting out that season if the coach decides they are redshirting.

Doesn't a player have to agree to a redshirt?  Can a coach force a redshirt on a player?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2651 on: May 27, 2020, 01:06:53 AM »
Doesn't a player have to agree to a redshirt?  Can a coach force a redshirt on a player?

I'm not aware of a rule allowing players to check themselves into a game. If a coach never plays the player, they retain the year of eligibility.

I would say most (all?) coaches tell the players in advanced if they are planning to redshirt them. I would also say many (most?) give players at least some say in the decision. But those decisions don't typically get made until well after the fall semester has started....which closes the door on the player transferring to another school and playing that season. They may choose to transfer out of anger/frustration for being redshirtted, but they will have to wait until next season to play, even if the NCAA votes to get rid of the mandatory redshirt year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2652 on: May 27, 2020, 11:40:14 AM »
I would think a coach not playing a player is a pretty good indication the player should transfer.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2653 on: May 27, 2020, 11:46:26 AM »
Disagree akanno n sacar could grad transfer for there 4th yr of ball n not sit out
That was only in their last year and they had to actually of gotten their degree. Redshirt Oso this year and if the free transfer passes he can transfer next year without any penalty. Now you have a year's investment in a player who never plays for your team and another team benefits from your investment year.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2654 on: May 27, 2020, 12:21:40 PM »

they can. They simply tell them "you're not playing this year and here's why." If the player disagrees they can transfer but in the end, the coach has the final say. Usually, it's due to A) the need for development or B) where they are on the depth chart. Of course, a redshirt can come off at any time due to injuries or attrition during the season.

A recent rule change allows a redshirt due to a coach's decision to count towards one of the two denied participation opportunities for a sixth-year extension of eligibility.

Oh, and Rony Eford used to check himself into games when he played for KO.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2655 on: May 27, 2020, 12:24:14 PM »
That was only in their last year and they had to actually of gotten their degree. Redshirt Oso this year and if the free transfer passes he can transfer next year without any penalty. Now you have a year's investment in a player who never plays for your team and another team benefits from your investment year.

Why would any kid want to redshirt nowadays.  I can see a player in the 300's or worse who's best offer is to let say MU, ie. Akanno.  If he wants to play at a big school
then why not.  Now that Akanno will be a redshirt frosh and does not play a ton of minutes.  Good bye.  No way Oso redshirts, if that was the case, he might as well gone
to LMU and played right away.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2656 on: May 27, 2020, 12:42:13 PM »
Why would any kid want to redshirt nowadays.  I can see a player in the 300's or worse who's best offer is to let say MU, ie. Akanno.  If he wants to play at a big school
then why not.  Now that Akanno will be a redshirt frosh and does not play a ton of minutes.  Good bye.  No way Oso redshirts, if that was the case, he might as well gone
to LMU and played right away.

Wow, what an awful take.  Now that BB is gone I think it's unlikely that Oso redshirts, but it's certainly still a possibility.  Players can choose to redshirt for a multitude of reasons.  Wojo has hinted that Oso needs to put on weight.  Rivals lists him at 6-9 190, there's most definitely a scenario where Wojo sells that Oso is a big part of the future and once Jamal leaves, he'll have every chance to compete for a starting spot, but that he needs to get stronger to do so. 

This is also another situation where Stan is overvalued.  I'm sure he helped get Wojo in the door and helped along the way, but if Oso wasn't sold on Wojo, he wouldn't have committed.  If Stan were as key a you insinuate, Oso would be at Texas, Stanford, Arizona, or one of the other high majors that offered him, rather than MU or LMU.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2657 on: May 27, 2020, 12:59:00 PM »
Wow, what an awful take.  Now that BB is gone I think it's unlikely that Oso redshirts, but it's certainly still a possibility.  Players can choose to redshirt for a multitude of reasons.  Wojo has hinted that Oso needs to put on weight.  Rivals lists him at 6-9 190, there's most definitely a scenario where Wojo sells that Oso is a big part of the future and once Jamal leaves, he'll have every chance to compete for a starting spot, but that he needs to get stronger to do so. 

This is also another situation where Stan is overvalued.  I'm sure he helped get Wojo in the door and helped along the way, but if Oso wasn't sold on Wojo, he wouldn't have committed.  If Stan were as key a you insinuate, Oso would be at Texas, Stanford, Arizona, or one of the other high majors that offered him, rather than MU or LMU.

Normal times and teams that are loaded with players, then Oso might be a candidate if he wanted to.  But with only 9 players for sure playing next year, no way.  Carton I think will play but not sure on Perez. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2658 on: May 27, 2020, 01:06:53 PM »
Normal times and teams that are loaded with players, then Oso might be a candidate if he wanted to.  But with only 9 players for sure playing next year, no way.  Carton I think will play but not sure on Perez.

The point is that players choose to redshirt based on more than just

I can see a player in the 300's or worse who's best offer is to let say MU, ie. Akanno.  If he wants to play at a big school then why not. 

Not being ready physically certainly qualifies as a reason to potentially redshirt. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2659 on: May 27, 2020, 02:29:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/McclungMac/status/1265722767590207494

Guru's head can now officially resume exploding.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2660 on: May 27, 2020, 02:40:03 PM »
https://twitter.com/McclungMac/status/1265722767590207494

Guru's head can now officially resume exploding.

No, I actually 100% support what Beard is doing, and actually am quite jealous. Wish MU could/would do more of that. Bringing in better players than the one's they are replacing, which is a Coach's job. He wasn't pleased with the season they had last year so he's doing something about it...upgrading the talent level..I applaud him.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2661 on: May 27, 2020, 02:41:33 PM »
Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
1m
St. John's transfer L.J. Figueroa has heard from a number of schools, sources told ESPN, including:

Memphis
Texas Tech  8-)
Arkansas
Dayton
Ohio State
Oregon
Georgia Tech
Samford
UCLA
Auburn

Arguably the top available transfer. Averaged 14.5 points and 4.5 rebounds last season.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2662 on: May 27, 2020, 03:08:48 PM »
No, I actually 100% support what Beard is doing, and actually am quite jealous. Wish MU could/would do more of that. Bringing in better players than the one's they are replacing, which is a Coach's job. He wasn't pleased with the season they had last year so he's doing something about it...upgrading the talent level..I applaud him.

Moooooooo
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2663 on: May 27, 2020, 03:11:53 PM »
Moooooooo

You're so mature...I noticed you couldn't respond to the fact that you also are being entertained by them, because you know it's true. Yet you sit and bitch continuously and denigrate me for being entertained by college kids that are being treated like "cattle".

By the way son, just an FYI, you haven't been on this earth long enough to have the smart mouth on you that you do. Some advice, if you're mouthy like that in real life like you are here with responses on most everything, it's going to end up bad for you eventually. If you're not, then you shouldn't be here either, it's called being a phony.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2664 on: May 27, 2020, 03:12:21 PM »
Waivers have apparently started...

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
27s
Johnny Juzang has gotten a waiver to play this season at UCLA, source told @Stadium

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2665 on: May 27, 2020, 03:31:59 PM »
Waivers have apparently started...

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
27s
Johnny Juzang has gotten a waiver to play this season at UCLA, source told @Stadium

Not sure how Juzang gets one and Carton doesn't. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2666 on: May 27, 2020, 04:00:47 PM »
Not sure how Juzang gets one and Carton doesn't.

I would agree, I'm sure Juzang's was because he went back home(he's from LA), but then the same can be said about DJ(closer to home), never mind his mental health issues. I had no idea they even worked on waivers this early. I just assumed they didn't start those until school returned. I wonder if MU has applied already for DJ.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2667 on: May 27, 2020, 04:08:40 PM »
You're so mature...I noticed you couldn't respond to the fact that you also are being entertained by them, because you know it's true. Yet you sit and bitch continuously and denigrate me for being entertained by college kids that are being treated like "cattle".

By the way son, just an FYI, you haven't been on this earth long enough to have the smart mouth on you that you do. Some advice, if you're mouthy like that in real life like you are here with responses on most everything, it's going to end up bad for you eventually. If you're not, then you shouldn't be here either, it's called being a phony.

I’m petrified.

Also, anyone that thinks we should treat the roster like Chris Beard does and then expect the players to play for pride and the name on the front of the jersey is treating them like cattle.  I suppose that’s the idea behind amateurism.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:13:23 PM by Uncle Rico »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #2668 on: May 27, 2020, 05:29:55 PM »
Virginia Tech transfer PJ Horne has committed to #UGA. 6-foot-7 forward who averaged 7.6 points per game last year for the Hokies. Georgia native from Tift County
Per Dan McDonald retweeted by Jeff Goodman

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2669 on: May 27, 2020, 08:34:58 PM »
I would agree, I'm sure Juzang's was because he went back home(he's from LA), but then the same can be said about DJ(closer to home), never mind his mental health issues. I had no idea they even worked on waivers this early. I just assumed they didn't start those until school returned. I wonder if MU has applied already for DJ.
I believe in the past they worked on football eligibility first, so that delayed basketball transfer decisions.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2670 on: May 27, 2020, 08:39:01 PM »

There is no set time. Most schools start them immediately upon the signing of a transfer.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2671 on: May 28, 2020, 08:05:56 AM »
Virginia Tech transfer PJ Horne has committed to #UGA. 6-foot-7 forward who averaged 7.6 points per game last year for the Hokies. Georgia native from Tift County
Per Dan McDonald retweeted by Jeff Goodman

Interesting... will play for both Buzz & Crean

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2672 on: May 28, 2020, 08:14:46 AM »
Interesting... will play for both Buzz & Crean

Definitely grad transferring here then
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2673 on: May 28, 2020, 08:18:01 AM »
Definitely grad transferring here then

LOL he's already a grad transfer

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2674 on: May 28, 2020, 08:42:20 AM »
LOL he's already a grad transfer

Lol oops, I need coffee.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback