'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 464220 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2625 on: May 25, 2020, 02:31:50 PM »
Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
1h
USC transfer Elijah Weaver announced his commitment to Dayton. Former ESPN 100 guard started 14 games last season for the Trojans, averaged 6.6 points.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2626 on: May 25, 2020, 02:39:09 PM »
Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
1h
USC transfer Elijah Weaver announced his commitment to Dayton. Former ESPN 100 guard started 14 games last season for the Trojans, averaged 6.6 points.

Poor kid.  Any word on Smith from IU?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2627 on: May 25, 2020, 02:43:20 PM »
Poor kid.  Any word on Smith from IU?

There was a long list released the other day and MU wasn't on it.

Indiana grad transfer Justin Smith tells ESPN he’s heard from:

Illinois
Georgetown
Iowa State
Northwestern
Purdue
Maryland
Mississippi State
Arkansas
DePaul
Notre Dame
Oregon
Xavier
Boston College
Arizona State
Wake Forest
Tulsa
New Mexico
Nevada
NC State
Virginia Tech

I think the one to watch for MU may be PJ Horne who is grad transferring from Va Tech. No idea if MU will get involved, but he would fit nicely as a replacement for Bailey. Can stretch the floor. 35% from 3

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #2628 on: May 25, 2020, 05:31:09 PM »
Thanks Guru

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2629 on: May 25, 2020, 10:17:20 PM »
Sam Hauser late last week said he was happy he had to sit out for a year.  Made his adjustment easier to a new school.  For some people it is better to sit, while others are ready to go.  He felt the choice athletes have would be good, but for him sitting out was best for him.  How many coaches are going to allow players to sit for a year if they wish to?  Will they have that option?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2630 on: May 25, 2020, 10:27:59 PM »
Sam Hauser late last week said he was happy he had to sit out for a year.  Made his adjustment easier to a new school.  For some people it is better to sit, while others are ready to go.  He felt the choice athletes have would be good, but for him sitting out was best for him.  How many coaches are going to allow players to sit for a year if they wish to?  Will they have that option?

I’m sure players will be able to find situations where they will be able to sit a year - though I’ll bet there will be very, very few who want to. I should say some, as that is your preferred way to say almost none.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2631 on: May 25, 2020, 10:28:38 PM »
Probably a case by case scenario, especially if injured, like Sam.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2632 on: May 25, 2020, 11:16:38 PM »
How many coaches are going to allow players to sit for a year if they wish to?  Will they have that option?

If instant transfers are passed, you will have a lot more coaches forcing players to take redshirts when they  want to play, then coaches forcing players to play when they want to redshirt.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2633 on: May 25, 2020, 11:26:12 PM »
If instant transfers are passed, you will have a lot more coaches forcing players to take redshirts when they  want to play, then coaches forcing players to play when they want to redshirt.

Which begs the question...if it's passed, how many coaches won't even take guys if they aren't willing to sit a year?? There was an article awhile back about how Coaches actually want sit out transfers more than grad transfers to balance classes etc. Sure there will be some Coaches that take guys so they can play right away, but if a vast majority won't take a kid if he isn't willing to sit a year, that might be a way for Coaches to kind of "counter" the transfer rule if you will. Kids may find out that they have limited spots available to them.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2634 on: May 25, 2020, 11:35:29 PM »
Non- injury redshirts may actually be less frequent. No reason to redshirt a player like Akanno when he can easily transfer down the road. One of the benefits of redshirting a freshmen in the past is that if made it harder to transfer, because they would lose a year of eligibility. It only makes sense to redshirt a player that you believe will play four years for you. With free transfers, I do not think any team can believe a player will stay four years.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2635 on: May 26, 2020, 05:00:20 AM »
Non- injury redshirts may actually be less frequent. No reason to redshirt a player like Akanno when he can easily transfer down the road. One of the benefits of redshirting a freshmen in the past is that if made it harder to transfer, because they would lose a year of eligibility. It only makes sense to redshirt a player that you believe will play four years for you. With free transfers, I do not think any team can believe a player will stay four years.
Disagree akanno n sacar could grad transfer for there 4th yr of ball n not sit out
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2636 on: May 26, 2020, 06:45:14 AM »
Disagree akanno n sacar could grad transfer for there 4th yr of ball n not sit out

I'm not sure that's true necessarily. I think I have read that if they pass the one time transfer rule, the grad transfer rule would be eliminated. Not 100% sure that they will eliminate it, but I thought I read that somewhere.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #2637 on: May 26, 2020, 07:01:15 AM »
Which begs the question...if it's passed, how many coaches won't even take guys if they aren't willing to sit a year?? There was an article awhile back about how Coaches actually want sit out transfers more than grad transfers to balance classes etc. Sure there will be some Coaches that take guys so they can play right away, but if a vast majority won't take a kid if he isn't willing to sit a year, that might be a way for Coaches to kind of "counter" the transfer rule if you will. Kids may find out that they have limited spots available to them.

It's a good bet the transfer rule will pass. I know coaches hate it but the NCAA could have voted to kill it this week. Instead they tabled it because it would wreak havoc on football and basketball. The hundreds of kids who transferred in both sports would be eligible immediately and would cause all sorts of problems. It will pass in January so football and basketball can adjust their rosters accordingly.

What I see happening is coaches will self limit the number of scholarships they use. There is no way to keep 13 players happy since all will be eligible. There will be a couple of red shirts but you could probably count them on both hands. Instead the 12th and 13th scholarship will go to walk ons or preferred walk one types. Kids thrilled to be there, will work hard and be happy with getting a minute or two every once in a while.

What I see as interesting is how much recruiting may change. There's almost 800 kids in this year's portal and still growing. Able to transfer freely will only increase that number. If you are a coach, do you prefer a kid with a year under his belt and more likely to stay now that he's used his one time transfer waiver or go strong on HS kids who may be gone in a year?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2638 on: May 26, 2020, 07:25:45 AM »
Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
12s
St. John's wing L.J. Figueroa is in the transfer portal, source told ESPN. Averaged 14.5 points and 4.5 rebounds last season, shot 36.5% from 3.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2639 on: May 26, 2020, 07:35:55 AM »
Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
12s
St. John's wing L.J. Figueroa is in the transfer portal, source told ESPN. Averaged 14.5 points and 4.5 rebounds last season, shot 36.5% from 3.

Oof for St. John’s
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2640 on: May 26, 2020, 07:43:50 AM »
Oof for St. John’s

My mini rant for the day...It really pisses me off that the Big East doesn't allow transfers within the conference. Other conferences allow it, why not the BE?? You have a talented player like this in the portal and there isn't a damn thing MU can do about it. >:(

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2641 on: May 26, 2020, 07:49:13 AM »

I guess there could be some coaches that take that stance.  But they would instantly put themselves at a disadvantage on the transfer market.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2642 on: May 26, 2020, 08:47:39 AM »
My mini rant for the day...It really pisses me off that the Big East doesn't allow transfers within the conference. Other conferences allow it, why not the BE?? You have a talented player like this in the portal and there isn't a damn thing MU can do about it. >:(

I'd agree but then I imagined what it'd be like seeing Sam and Joey over at Nova and changed my mind.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2643 on: May 26, 2020, 09:25:30 AM »
Zach Braziller
@NYPost_Brazille
·
51m
Schools have been in LJ Figueroa's ear that he would be able to get a waiver if he transferred based on the coronavirus's impact in NYC. Huge news that he's in the portal obviously. #sjubb

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2644 on: May 26, 2020, 10:34:08 AM »

I guess there could be some coaches that take that stance.  But they would instantly put themselves at a disadvantage on the transfer market.

Agree.

IMHO very, very, very few athletes would opt to sit a season. Heck, add a another couple “verys” to that!

Even Sam would have played last season if rules allowed it.

I also agree with guru that BEast in-conference transfers should be allowed. Glad to see him coming around to the side of freedom for athletes. Change that rule, eliminate the mandatory-sit rule that punishes athletes from only 5 sports, and now we’re talkin’!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2645 on: May 26, 2020, 12:11:07 PM »
Agree.

IMHO very, very, very few athletes would opt to sit a season. Heck, add a another couple “verys” to that!

Even Sam would have played last season if rules allowed it.

I also agree with guru that BEast in-conference transfers should be allowed. Glad to see him coming around to the side of freedom for athletes. Change that rule, eliminate the mandatory-sit rule that punishes athletes from only 5 sports, and now we’re talkin’!

You want the truth?? Here's the truth..I'm for the one time transfer rule IF MU benefits from it, if everyone else benefits from it as well, I'm against it. Same with the BE transfer rule. That's as honest as I can be :)

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2646 on: May 26, 2020, 12:22:28 PM »

How does one force a redshirt?  If the kid doesn't want to redshirt, he will transfer and leave would he not?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2647 on: May 26, 2020, 01:24:40 PM »
How does one force a redshirt?

Easily. The coach just doesn't play them.

If the kid doesn't want to redshirt, he will transfer and leave would he not?

Could happen, but at the end of the season. Its not like they could transfer somewhere else and play that season. Transfer or not, either way they are sitting out that season if the coach decides they are redshirting.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2648 on: May 26, 2020, 10:09:08 PM »
You want the truth?? Here's the truth..I'm for the one time transfer rule IF MU benefits from it, if everyone else benefits from it as well, I'm against it. Same with the BE transfer rule. That's as honest as I can be :)

Fair enough, guru.

I am curious that nobody said Figueroa's transfer somehow proves that players don't want to compete for a de-motivator like Mike Anderson.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2649 on: May 26, 2020, 10:14:52 PM »
Tyrone Moore
@tyronemoorecbb
·
9m
Per a source Mac McClung will announce his college decision tomorrrow. Everything I’ve heard leads me to believe Mac will commit to Texas Tech.

feedback