'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 464478 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2600 on: May 22, 2020, 12:34:00 PM »
That’s Potrykus and he’s accomplished his mission with you. Stirring up fears in MU fans and trying to paint a player as looking out selfishly for only himself.

LOL.  Noted it wasn't Steele, forgot that happened on his furloughed time.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2601 on: May 22, 2020, 12:54:10 PM »
Not finding the article that contained the quote from DJ at first glance, but I can look harder later.  I know it was posted here somewhere, but lots of posts to sort through.  But here are two articles that its mentioned, including in Ben Steele's JS article when he announced he's going to Marquette.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/basketball/examining-ohio-states-hoops-transfers-case-by-case

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2020/04/15/touted-guard-d-j-carton-announces-his-transfer-marquette-ohio-state/5142532002/

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.  Hopefully Carton gets his waiver because his talent is sorely needed next year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2602 on: May 22, 2020, 12:58:59 PM »
I think J5s interpretation regarding Carton is correct. I think if he can't play for us next season,  he'll find someplace he can
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2603 on: May 22, 2020, 01:06:50 PM »
I could see Carton going to play elsewhere, but the deadline to enter the NBA Draft has come and gone. He could probably go pro as a free agent, but not through the Draft process. Please correct me if this is wrong, but I'm confident he would've had to declare by April 26.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #2604 on: May 22, 2020, 02:32:03 PM »
Justin Smith from Indiana will graduate and transfer, eligible immediately. Grew up in Buffalo Grove. Definitely a guy Marquette should target, averaged 10 pts and 5 rebounds last year. Only is 6’7” so would be ideal guy to replace Bailey should he stay pro and ease Justin Lewis transition to college.

Go all in on him

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #2605 on: May 22, 2020, 02:34:29 PM »
We did recruit Justin Smith back in high school and he did take an unofficial so there is some familiarity when it comes in a world of no actual visits. Obviously, Fiserv wasn’t built yet so never did see that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2606 on: May 22, 2020, 02:40:11 PM »
Go all in on him

+1000 I agree, they need the help now for this year. He's a very good defender
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2607 on: May 22, 2020, 02:54:35 PM »
Go all in on him

He'd be competing with Jamal Cain and three freshmen for playing time, not a bad situation for him or MU.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2608 on: May 22, 2020, 03:11:08 PM »
He'd be competing with Jamal Cain and three freshmen for playing time, not a bad situation for him or MU.

He's from Buffalo Grove, IL, just over an hour from Milwaukee

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2609 on: May 22, 2020, 04:21:23 PM »
He's from Buffalo Grove, IL, just over an hour from Milwaukee
More like 2 hours with the FIP traffic down there.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #2610 on: May 22, 2020, 08:18:33 PM »
Justin Smith wants to play the 3. He’s not a very good shooter. Unlikely Wojo looks at him.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2611 on: May 22, 2020, 09:10:55 PM »
Dan McDonald
@RivalsDan
 · 39m
Hearing from multiple sources Virginia Tech junior forward PJ Horne is in the transfer portal, and also hearing he'll be a grad transfer with immediate eligibility. The Georgia native averaged 7.6 points and 4.2 rebounds per game this season for the Hokies.

35% from 3

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2612 on: May 22, 2020, 09:36:42 PM »
Based on MU not really popping up on any transfer lists lately, I am hopeful the staff is confident in 3 things:

1) DJ is getting a waiver

2) Bailey is coming back

3) There is only 1 scholarship available, and that is going to difference maker only (Mane/Etienne/or a TBD re-classifying or transfer). 

1 being wrong would be a disaster.

2 being wrong would be bad, but way worse if 1 is wrong too.

The only way 3 makes sense based on recent activity is that the staff is confident in 1 and 2.

Hmmm. Well, 2 is wrong. Agree way worse if 1 is wrong.
If the only way 3 makes sense is if the staff is confident in 1 and 2, then 3 is shaky. Mane seems headed elsewhere, who know about Etienne reclass? Looks like a bridge year.
But let's wait 2-3 years and see how Wojo brings the frosh along. Selfish me, I like to see the team in the dance.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #2613 on: May 23, 2020, 12:55:33 AM »
Based on MU not really popping up on any transfer lists lately, I am hopeful the staff is confident in 3 things:

1) DJ is getting a waiver

2) Bailey is coming back

3) There is only 1 scholarship available, and that is going to difference maker only (Mane/Etienne/or a TBD re-classifying or transfer). 

1 being wrong would be a disaster.

2 being wrong would be bad, but way worse if 1 is wrong too.

The only way 3 makes sense based on recent activity is that the staff is confident in 1 and 2.
Aged like fine wine!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2614 on: May 23, 2020, 03:18:22 PM »
Hey! Texas Tech is now only one over and if Ramsey stays in the draft they will be at the limit. It hasn't stopped them from being heavily involved with Mac McClung and Both Gach however!  ;D I am starting to wonder if their continued activity is an indication that Terrance Shannon may in fact end up transferring.

Emiliano Carchia
@Carchia
 · 20m
Davide Moretti’s college career is over.
The Italian guard will join Olimpia Milano on a multi-year deal.
Moretti has played three seasons with Texas Tech reaching one NCAA Final twitter.com/miskoraznatovi…

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2615 on: May 23, 2020, 10:20:07 PM »
Hey! Texas Tech is now only one over and if Ramsey stays in the draft they will be at the limit. It hasn't stopped them from being heavily involved with Mac McClung and Both Gach however!  ;D I am starting to wonder if their continued activity is an indication that Terrance Shannon may in fact end up transferring.

Emiliano Carchia
@Carchia
 · 20m
Davide Moretti’s college career is over.
The Italian guard will join Olimpia Milano on a multi-year deal.
Moretti has played three seasons with Texas Tech reaching one NCAA Final twitter.com/miskoraznatovi…

Without Moretti they are at their scholarship limit even if Ramsey returns.

Santos-Silva
Burton
Edwards
Ntambwe
Nyiwe
Ramsey
Nadolny
McCullar Jr
Shannon Jr
Smith
Burnett
Peavy
Agbo

If Ramsey does go pro and Shannon transfers, Then only 3 of their scholarship players (Edwards, Nadolny, McCullar Jr) will have a played a minute of basketball for the Red Raiders. They also have a preferred walk on who played significant minutes off the bench last season.
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2616 on: May 23, 2020, 10:50:19 PM »
Without Moretti they are at their scholarship limit even if Ramsey returns.

Santos-Silva
Burton
Edwards
Ntambwe
Nyiwe
Ramsey
Nadolny
McCullar Jr
Shannon Jr
Smith
Burnett
Peavy
Agbo

If Ramsey does go pro and Shannon transfers, Then only 3 of their scholarship players (Edwards, Nadolny, McCullar Jr) will have a played a minute of basketball for the Red Raiders. They also have a preferred walk on who played significant minutes off the bench last season.

You're forgetting Avery Benson, who as of now is still on scholarship.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2617 on: May 23, 2020, 11:17:27 PM »
You're forgetting Avery Benson, who as of now is still on scholarship.

I'm not, he's the preferred walk on I mentioned in the last paragraph. Scholarship is only there if they have one free. As of now, they don't.
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2618 on: May 23, 2020, 11:24:30 PM »
I'm not, he's the preferred walk on I mentioned in the last paragraph. Scholarship is only there if they have one free. As of now, they don't.

Incorrect TAMU, he IS on scholarship as of now, he was last year as well.

This is from an article on the TTU site about Moretti...https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/board/102952/Contents/morettis-departure-leaves-a-large-void-147458894/

Should Burton instead pursue and receive a waiver to play next season, this would give Beard a 13-man roster. Benson, however, is a former walkon who earned a scholarship last season. Theoretically, he could be returned to walkon status, which would give Beard a scholarship roster of 12 players.

Of course I will get roundly criticized for this(and that's okay) but this is my absolutely FAVORITE part of the article...and what good/great Coaches should be doing..would have ZERO issues if Wojo or any MU Coach took this approach...Texas Tech’s roster is very fluid given the departure of players, the most recent of which is Moretti, and Beard’s willingness to turn over his roster in pursuit of the best possible talent. Exactly what you're supposed to be doing as a Head Coach.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:54:57 PM by muguru »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2619 on: May 24, 2020, 12:42:16 AM »
Incorrect TAMU, he IS on scholarship as of now, he was last year as well.

This is from an article on the TTU site about Moretti...https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/board/102952/Contents/morettis-departure-leaves-a-large-void-147458894/

Should Burton instead pursue and receive a waiver to play next season, this would give Beard a 13-man roster. Benson, however, is a former walkon who earned a scholarship last season. Theoretically, he could be returned to walkon status, which would give Beard a scholarship roster of 12 players.

Of course I will get roundly criticized for this(and that's okay) but this is my absolutely FAVORITE part of the article...and what good/great Coaches should be doing..would have ZERO issues if Wojo or any MU Coach took this approach...Texas Tech’s roster is very fluid given the departure of players, the most recent of which is Moretti, and Beard’s willingness to turn over his roster in pursuit of the best possible talent. Exactly what you're supposed to be doing as a Head Coach.

None of this contradicted what I said. I understand he was on scholarship last season.He won't be next season if they need the scholarship for someone else.
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2620 on: May 24, 2020, 07:48:50 AM »
None of this contradicted what I said. I understand he was on scholarship last season.He won't be next season if they need the scholarship for someone else.

Well whatever, as of this moment they are still over. You say they aren't. Technically that's incorrect, as Benson has not as of yet had his scholarship taken away. I don't disagree with you that he likely will get it taken away if they need the room, but that still doesn't account for the fact that they are in hot pursuit of Both Gach and Mac McClung.  8-) Not too mention, they are thought to be leading for Johnathon Kuminga who very well MAY re classify to 2020. Doubtful they land Gach, think they very well might get McClung thogh and have a feeling they land Kuminga for 2020 as well. Still could need 3 more schollies. That's crazy roster turnover

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2621 on: May 24, 2020, 08:00:32 AM »
Well whatever, as of this moment they are still over. You say they aren't. Technically that's incorrect, as Benson has not as of yet had his scholarship taken away. I don't disagree with you that he likely will get it taken away if they need the room, but that still doesn't account for the fact that they are in hot pursuit of Both Gach and Mac McClung.  8-) Not too mention, they are thought to be leading for Johnathon Kuminga who very well MAY re classify to 2020. Doubtful they land Gach, think they very well might get McClung thogh and have a feeling they land Kuminga for 2020 as well. Still could need 3 more schollies. That's crazy roster turnover

Technically, TAMU is absolutely correct.  Burton isn't on scholarship yet since their summer term doesn't start until June 2.  If Benson takes summer classes, he will not be receiving an athletic grant-in-aid to pay for them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2622 on: May 24, 2020, 10:59:41 AM »
Tyrone Moore
@tyronemoorecbb
·
5m
I am hearing Texas Tech is gaining some significant traction in the Mac McClung sweepstakes. They seem to be the favorites as of now. #RoneBomb

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2623 on: May 24, 2020, 03:26:36 PM »
Tyrone Moore
@tyronemoorecbb
·
5m
I am hearing Texas Tech is gaining some significant traction in the Mac McClung sweepstakes. They seem to be the favorites as of now. #RoneBomb

Someone trying to make their personal hashtag happen? Who does he think he is, Adrian Wojnarowski?  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2624 on: May 25, 2020, 02:31:00 PM »
Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
24m
East Tennessee State transfer Bo Hodges has committed to Butler.

First-team All-SoCon pick averaged 12.7 points and 5.8 rebounds last season after helping lead the Buccaneers to a 30-4 record.

feedback