[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 464511 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #750 on: April 05, 2020, 12:16:38 PM »
Kid commits to a low-level mid-major program that has sucked forever, works harder than hell for two offseasons and two seasons to become a major-level player, and then leaves to realize his lifelong dream.

That, of course, is something any coach of any mid-major team can do anytime, regardless of contract status. Unlike the coach, however, the kid currently has to sit out a year to realize his dream.

Just wait till the players don't have to sit. These student-athletes finally will be treated like all the other students, who have complete freedom of movement even if they are on full scholarship.

And mid-majors will be fine because they will continue to get good players who couldn't quite hack it as majors, which already are the majority of transfers.

Well, at least they'll be fine if their coaches stick around rather than going wherever they want whenever.

Exactly! It really ticks me off when coaches get upset about players leaving (as if their LOI's were 4 year contracts) but regard their own contracts as being strictly one way streets in their direction. The hypocrisy is over the top.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #751 on: April 05, 2020, 12:17:12 PM »
Not that they can't have a winning season regardless of these circumstances...
We are all MU fans so I'd like to think so but any objective observer, i.e. Vegas, does not think so. It would be unfair to Wojo and the team to expect more than 15 wins.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #752 on: April 05, 2020, 12:25:44 PM »
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:34:17 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #753 on: April 05, 2020, 12:28:01 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #754 on: April 05, 2020, 12:28:37 PM »
Kind of weird that Turner has Bowling Green in his final four. He is transferring from there but still considering going back?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #755 on: April 05, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »
Scariest competitors cut. Seems like good news.

He's still considering Bowling Green?
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #756 on: April 05, 2020, 12:32:06 PM »
Scariest competitors cut. Seems like good news.

That's what I was thinking...but..Iowa State has TONS of playing time to sell(not that he wouldn't get it at MU) and he has talked highly of Missouri in previous interviews..But, there's really little doubt in my mind, MU will have the most talent of the 3 teams. Also have the Greg and Jamal(Detroit) factor, hopefully that's enough.

MU definitely has the distance to home advantage if that's important to him.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #757 on: April 05, 2020, 12:32:54 PM »

I don't think he's necessarily considering them, more that it's still an option if all else fails.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1246851407443001346?s=20
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:35:34 PM by muguru »

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #758 on: April 05, 2020, 12:36:21 PM »
He seems like one of the best options. Would definitely make next season more exciting.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #759 on: April 05, 2020, 12:36:44 PM »
Exactly! It really ticks me off when coaches get upset about players leaving (as if their LOI's were 4 year contracts) but regard their own contracts as being strictly one way streets in their direction. The hypocrisy is over the top.

What’s a “LOI?”
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #760 on: April 05, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »
Justin turner announced his final 4, we’re in

MU82

• All American
« Reply #761 on: April 05, 2020, 12:58:54 PM »
I've never seen Turner play 1 second of basketball, but judging by what a lot of folks are saying and by his stats, he looks like a very good player.

He hasn't faced a lot of top competition. Just looking at stats from last couple of years, he had some very good games against LSU, St. John's (in 2018-19 when they were good) and Buffalo, and some not-so-good games against Cincinnati and VCU.

He'd look good in a Marquette uni!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #762 on: April 05, 2020, 01:01:55 PM »
I've never seen Turner play 1 second of basketball, but judging by what a lot of folks are saying and by his stats, he looks like a very good player.

He hasn't faced a lot of top competition. Just looking at stats from last couple of years, he had some very good games against LSU, St. John's (in 2018-19 when they were good) and Buffalo, and some not-so-good games against Cincinnati and VCU.

Here you go MU82!

Top Transfers: Immediately Eligible

1) Justin Turner, 6-4, 205, SG, RS Jr., Bowling Green
Stats: 18.8 ppg, 4.6 rpg
Scout’s take: “Big-time three-level scorer. Has a gift for getting places with the ball. He is really good on or off the ball. He’s one of those guys, if he gets it going, you’re in for a long night. Whichever high-major he ends up at, he will likely be their best player.”

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #763 on: April 05, 2020, 01:02:55 PM »

I didnt do any in-depth analysis but his O-rating in Kenpom A and B games has been better than his overall O-rating each of the past three years. So it seems like at the very least he isn't feasting on poor opponents.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #764 on: April 05, 2020, 01:11:36 PM »
I didnt do any in-depth analysis but his O-rating in Kenpom A and B games has been better than his overall O-rating each of the past three years. So it seems like at the very least he isn't feasting on poor opponents.

True about A+B.  Tier A O-Rating doesn't look as good but small sample size - just a total of 9 Tier A games in 3 years at BG (average O-rating = 100).  Not a great shooter, but good at getting to FT line and doesn't turn it over. 

Definitely would be a good addition to the team, and a needed one.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #765 on: April 05, 2020, 01:14:46 PM »

Just a guess, but I think you will see more transfers listing their original school this season then in past seasons. It has to be a little unnerving to commit to a new a school that you've never gotten a chance to visit.
TAMU

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #766 on: April 05, 2020, 01:25:03 PM »
If Turner were to commit, I wonder how it would affect Koby’s status with the team. I’m assuming Turner is more of 2 guard, so I’m curious to know if the plan is to have Koby at the 1.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #767 on: April 05, 2020, 01:28:28 PM »
If Turner were to commit, I wonder how it would affect Koby’s status with the team. I’m assuming Turner is more of 2 guard, so I’m curious to know if the plan is to have Koby at the 1.

I sure as hell hope not.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #768 on: April 05, 2020, 01:41:56 PM »
Just a guess, but I think you will see more transfers listing their original school this season then in past seasons. It has to be a little unnerving to commit to a new a school that you've never gotten a chance to visit.

I agree with this, and I haven't studied it that closely, but I think one thing we are seeing and will see more of is grad transfers going closer to home then they otherwise may have. In that case, that SHOULD bode well for MU and Turner.

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #769 on: April 05, 2020, 01:42:55 PM »
Justin turner announced his final 4, we’re in
Did not see it indicated.  Marquette, Mizzou and Iowa State (and Bowling Green where he presently plays)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #770 on: April 05, 2020, 02:40:39 PM »
Here you go MU82!

Top Transfers: Immediately Eligible

1) Justin Turner, 6-4, 205, SG, RS Jr., Bowling Green
Stats: 18.8 ppg, 4.6 rpg
Scout’s take: “Big-time three-level scorer. Has a gift for getting places with the ball. He is really good on or off the ball. He’s one of those guys, if he gets it going, you’re in for a long night. Whichever high-major he ends up at, he will likely be their best player.”

Thanks for all of that info, boyz. Let's get him!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #771 on: April 05, 2020, 02:54:50 PM »

I think the dream is to get Turner, get Carton, and get Carton a waiver to be immediately eligible. Then you would have 4 clear cut starters in Carton, Turner, Garcia, and John. You then tell Koby, Greg, Jamal, and Brendan that the 5th starting spot is up for grabs and best man wins. Dexter and Oso could get in on that competition too if they are better than expected. In that situation, Sy would backup Carton at the point and Lewis would backup Garcia and John in the frontcourt.
TAMU

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #772 on: April 05, 2020, 02:58:31 PM »
Thanks for all of that info, boyz. Let's get him!

In addition to that write up, 24/7 has Turner as the best available grad transfer, ahead of Carlik Jones. I tend do think Jones is the better player, but it shows how well regarded Turner is nonetheless. Write up here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/ContentGallery/Louisville-Ohio-State-Missouri-Maryland-Marquette-Carlik-Jones-Justin-Turner-Seth-Towns-Dimencio-Vaughn-graduate-transfer-145602722/Amp/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:02:16 PM by Tha Hound »

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #773 on: April 05, 2020, 02:59:52 PM »
I think the dream is to get Turner, get Carton, and get Carton a waiver to be immediately eligible. Then you would have 4 clear cut starters in Carton, Turner, Garcia, and John. You then tell Koby, Greg, Jamal, and Brendan that the 5th starting spot is up for grabs and best man wins. Dexter and Oso could get in on that competition too if they are better than expected. In that situation, Sy would backup Carton at the point and Lewis would backup Garcia and John in the frontcourt.

If we land Turner and (an immediately eligible) Carton I would genuinely be more excited for next season than I was coming into this past season. Those 2 in addition to Dawson would be a lot of fun to watch with a ton of potential

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #774 on: April 05, 2020, 03:05:31 PM »
If we land Turner and (an immediately eligible) Carton I would genuinely be more excited for next season than I was coming into this past season. Those 2 in addition to Dawson would be a lot of fun to watch with a ton of potential

If those events came to fruition, I would have to say it would be an A+ offseason for Wojo and the staff.