[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 464156 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #725 on: April 04, 2020, 02:41:17 PM »
Now THIS is the big i want...His uncle is an asst Coach with the Gophers.

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
3m
One Missouri Valley coach to me on Liam Robbins.

“He’s a pro.”
Quote Tweet
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
 · 4m
Drake sophomore big man Liam Robbins announces he is transferring. Averaged 14.1 points, 7.1 boards and 2.9 blocks per game this past season.

Should be a long line of high-major suitors.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:32:57 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #726 on: April 04, 2020, 02:42:50 PM »
Again, your answer is a guy who averaged 4 points a game at Bryant?

No, I NEVER said that...I just post transfers that I see..most of the time without comment. It's to generate discussion. I just posted a transfer big that I want MU to pursue hard.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #727 on: April 04, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »
Oh believe me there are some that are just fine with a big that will rebound and play defense, and having them be able to score(on a regular basis) is secondary. I'd like a big that can take over a game if/when needed.

Yeah, its a guard's game, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #728 on: April 04, 2020, 04:53:23 PM »
Corey Evans
@coreyevans_10
·
3m
Bryant forward Patrick Harding will transfer, a source tells @RivalsPortal

Sophomore that was second in the nation in rebounding per-40 minutes last season.

That approach worked out well for the Sonics when they signed Mac.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #729 on: April 04, 2020, 05:26:21 PM »
What I wouldn't give to have a competent offensive minded big. Shortly after I click post, people will run here to say "Theo is fine offensively, he can score" no he can't. I'd like a big that's offensively like Robert Jackson or Davante...dump it down and it's an automatic bucket. That's not Theo.
Here is something to debate. How good would Theo be if he had a good thumb and was teamed with Wade and Diener. As I remember it Jackson would kind of hide down low and then get the ball dumped to him on a drive by Wade or a pass from Diener. I do not like it when Theo gets it in his head that he going to back down a player and try to score over him. I have seen Theo get wide open dunks when the guards have gotten him the ball in position. Theo needs the ball given to him in the correct position.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #730 on: April 04, 2020, 05:56:23 PM »
What I wouldn't give to have a competent offensive minded big. Shortly after I click post, people will run here to say "Theo is fine offensively, he can score" no he can't. I'd like a big that's offensively like Robert Jackson or Davante...dump it down and it's an automatic bucket. That's not Theo.
What exactly does Theo do during the off-season working on his game? The dude doesn’t have as much as a face-up from 12’. Give him a tape of Kevin Garnett post moves. “Theo, study this...everyday. Everyday Theo”.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #731 on: April 04, 2020, 06:28:41 PM »
What exactly does Theo do during the off-season working on his game? The dude doesn’t have as much as a face-up from 12’. Give him a tape of Kevin Garnett post moves. “Theo, study this...everyday. Everyday Theo”.

Yes. If Theo did anything to work on his game in the offseason he’d be Kevin Garnett. Just wish the Minnesota kid wasn’t so lazy and watched his home state hero some.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #732 on: April 04, 2020, 06:31:05 PM »
Yeah sometimes players just don’t have the touch. And that’s fine. He is what he is and works his ass off of n the floor. He’s just limited.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #733 on: April 04, 2020, 06:39:31 PM »
You could chop off Theo’s right thumb and he’d still be the same player. Strong body down low who changes/blocks shots, rebounds well and finishes most dump offs.

He’s a hard working, blue collar big which is great. I’m not sure why people expect more out of him at this point.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #734 on: April 04, 2020, 06:55:26 PM »

You’re Dream will come true.

Incoming Dawson Garcia is 6’11 and will be one of the highest scorers, if not the highest, on next years squad. Definitely a competent offensive minded big.

Now I know what you meant, but the game has changed. Sometimes it’s better to have a big of the mold you’re thinking of like Jayce/Theo who concentrates on defense and rebounding, especially when you’ve already got a new aged big that can carry the scoring load and use the open lanes rather than run into a bigger defender in the post constantly.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #735 on: April 04, 2020, 07:11:21 PM »
You’re Dream will come true.

Incoming Dawson Garcia is 6’11 and will be one of the highest scorers, if not the highest, on next years squad. Definitely a competent offensive minded big.

Now I know what you meant, but the game has changed. Sometimes it’s better to have a big of the mold you’re thinking of like Jayce/Theo who concentrates on defense and rebounding, especially when you’ve already got a new aged big that can carry the scoring load and use the open lanes rather than run into a bigger defender in the post constantly.

Can't I have both as offensive weapons??  ;D

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #736 on: April 04, 2020, 07:18:38 PM »
Yeah sometimes players just don’t have the touch. And that’s fine. He is what he is and works his ass off of n the floor. He’s just limited.

Yep, he’s Faisel Abraham. Good defensive presence (was key during the scoring drought against Nova) but not much else other than a big body.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #737 on: April 04, 2020, 07:49:18 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
3m
Digging into background of Drake transfer Liam Robbins and just found out his uncle is Minnesota asst. Ed Conroy. Conroy's son, Hunter, also on Gophers team. Sure looks like a no-brainer for 7-foot Robbins (who numerous Valley coaches told me is a future pro) to wind up a Gopher.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #738 on: April 04, 2020, 07:50:38 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
3m
Digging into background of Drake transfer Liam Robbins and just found out his uncle is Minnesota asst. Ed Conroy. Conroy's son, Hunter, also on Gophers team. Sure looks like a no-brainer for 7-foot Robbins (who numerous Valley coaches told me is a future pro) to wind up a Gopher.

Rumors he’s going to Iowa too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

True_Golden_Eagles

• Walk-On
« Reply #739 on: April 04, 2020, 08:06:33 PM »
Sounds like Minnesota

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #740 on: April 04, 2020, 09:16:40 PM »
Now THIS is the big i want...His uncle is an asst Coach with the Gophers.

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
3m
One Missouri Valley coach to me on Liam Robbins.

“He’s a pro.”
Quote Tweet
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
 · 4m
Drake sophomore big man Liam Robbins announces he is transferring. Averaged 14.1 points, 7.1 boards and 2.9 blocks per game this past season.

Should be a long line of high-major suitors.

Mid-major takes a chance on an low level prospect, develops him, majors poach him even though he has to sit a year. Just wait until they don’t have to sit, mid-majors are screwed.

The hope was that Robbins was just scratching the surface. The Bulldogs had viewed him as a diamond in the rough on the recruiting trail. The Iowa native wasn't even a star in high school and went unnoticed to most college teams. But Robbins dropped nearly 70 pounds, attended a prep school in Kansas and reclassified.

Robbins eventually found a home at Drake which helped develop him into a star. He averaged just 3.8 points and 2.6 rebounds per game as a freshman. Then he won a starting spot and became one of the best players in the MVC. Robbins was named the captain of the league's Most Improved Team.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #741 on: April 04, 2020, 09:41:02 PM »
Mid-major takes a chance on an low level prospect, develops him, majors poach him even though he has to sit a year. Just wait until they don’t have to sit, mid-majors are screwed.

The hope was that Robbins was just scratching the surface. The Bulldogs had viewed him as a diamond in the rough on the recruiting trail. The Iowa native wasn't even a star in high school and went unnoticed to most college teams. But Robbins dropped nearly 70 pounds, attended a prep school in Kansas and reclassified.

Robbins eventually found a home at Drake which helped develop him into a star. He averaged just 3.8 points and 2.6 rebounds per game as a freshman. Then he won a starting spot and became one of the best players in the MVC. Robbins was named the captain of the league's Most Improved Team.

Kid gets to play in the Big 10 instead of Podunk. Dreams come true. Good for him.

True_Golden_Eagles

• Walk-On
« Reply #742 on: April 05, 2020, 09:25:33 AM »
Marquette gets a transfer CB from Brian Snow.... I would expect Jonah Antonio to be a plan C option

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Jonah-Antonio-at-UNLV-236300/CurrentTransferInstitutionPredictions/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #743 on: April 05, 2020, 09:36:49 AM »

Kid commits to a low-level mid-major program that has sucked forever, works harder than hell for two offseasons and two seasons to become a major-level player, and then leaves to realize his lifelong dream.

That, of course, is something any coach of any mid-major team can do anytime, regardless of contract status. Unlike the coach, however, the kid currently has to sit out a year to realize his dream.

Just wait till the players don't have to sit. These student-athletes finally will be treated like all the other students, who have complete freedom of movement even if they are on full scholarship.

And mid-majors will be fine because they will continue to get good players who couldn't quite hack it as majors, which already are the majority of transfers.

Well, at least they'll be fine if their coaches stick around rather than going wherever they want whenever.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #744 on: April 05, 2020, 09:39:37 AM »
Marquette gets a transfer CB from Brian Snow.... I would expect Jonah Antonio to be a plan C option

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Jonah-Antonio-at-UNLV-236300/CurrentTransferInstitutionPredictions/

This is pretty old news. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to fruition. The guy is not a high major player, that’s pretty obvious

muguru

• All American
« Reply #745 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42:59 AM »
This is pretty old news. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to fruition. The guy is not a high major player, that’s pretty obvious

I doubt it will unless MU completely whiffs on their top targets..in which case, there's bigger issues anyway.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #746 on: April 05, 2020, 12:01:12 PM »

What they should do is lop off all of the conferences outside the top ten.  It will impact the NCAA tournament detrimentally because the mid-majors and small schools will participate in a different tournament.  Coaches at all levels of division one have warned this practice of raiding rosters will impact smaller programs and even lower level P6 schools.  Face the music and put them in their down sub-division. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #747 on: April 05, 2020, 12:11:38 PM »
I doubt it will unless MU completely whiffs on their top targets..in which case, there's bigger issues anyway.
Very true. Not great that MU's ability to have a winning season is on the edge this late in the process. Fingers crossed, there is still a chance to put together a good team.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #748 on: April 05, 2020, 12:12:39 PM »
Very true. Not great that MU's ability to have a winning season is on the edge this late in the process. Fingers crossed, there is still a chance to put together a good team.

Not that they can't have a winning season regardless of these circumstances...

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #749 on: April 05, 2020, 12:14:43 PM »
Xavier, Seton Hall and Butler are in the same boat.

feedback