[Today at 12:08:31 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 464162 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #600 on: March 30, 2020, 02:28:28 PM »
I wouldn’t hate Sessoms. I don’t think there’s a realistic shot of both Mane and Carton, so Sessoms and one of those two would be great.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #601 on: March 30, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #602 on: March 30, 2020, 02:34:37 PM »
I wouldn’t hate Sessoms. I don’t think there’s a realistic shot of both Mane and Carton, so Sessoms and one of those two would be great.

2 of these three and the outlook next year is WAY different : Carton, Mane, Turner
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #603 on: March 30, 2020, 05:12:06 PM »
Sam Sessoms chose Penn State University.

muguru

• All American

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #605 on: March 30, 2020, 05:52:55 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
 · 9m
Radford grad transfer Carlik Jones has trimmed his list to:

Louisville, West Virginia, Gonzaga, Maryland, Texas Tech, Michigan State, Marquette and Radford.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #606 on: March 30, 2020, 06:01:42 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
 · 9m

Louisville, West Virginia, Gonzaga, Maryland, Texas Tech, Michigan State, Marquette and Radford.

Now that would be interesting..Hey Carlik how do you feel about filling that Markus-sized hole in our roster?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #607 on: March 30, 2020, 06:04:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1244749124756484100?s=20

Now that's a Theo backup I could get behind. High efficiency guy that can stretch the floor and be a legitimate change of pace. If he's willing to play the 5 (which he did at Rice) I'm in.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #608 on: March 30, 2020, 06:40:29 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
 · 9m

If I could have 1 grad transfer, this would be it. Stiff competition though
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #609 on: March 30, 2020, 06:48:07 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
 · 9m

The two programs (plus the only other program that has hosted an official visit) thought to be the favorites for Mane both in on a scoring guard grad transfer.

Seems like things are moving very slowly with Mane. Or not moving at all.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #610 on: March 30, 2020, 06:54:00 PM »
Really good AE article on how MU got into this. 

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2020/3/30/21198752/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-transfer-recruiting-why-are-there-so-many-guards

Agree. It was an interesting read and offered a lot of good insight. I wish we weren't in the predicament where we had to go find some guards at the last minute to play next season.

Still, although I am NOT saying Wojo = Buzz, let's not forget that our previous coach, in his 6th season, had to play the worst starting backcourt in modern Marquette history a combined 61 mpg.

Plus, I DO want my coach to go after top recruits. Sometimes, we do land an Ellenson, a Howard and a Garcia -- and hopefully a Mane. But yes, it would be nice if he would land some 100-200s that he could develop or better develop the more lightly recruited guys he does land.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #611 on: March 30, 2020, 06:54:57 PM »
If I could have 1 grad transfer, this would be it. Stiff competition though

+1...however and it's not just you TAMU so don't think I'm singling you out...I hate statements like "stiff competition" when it comes to recruiting. I personally think it's demeaning to MU, it's like they can't compete, and they should be able to compete with anyone.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #612 on: March 30, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »
Sessoms picks Penn State.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed that it was previously posted by Markusquette
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 07:02:43 PM by Afroman »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #613 on: March 30, 2020, 07:03:43 PM »
+1...however and it's not just you TAMU so don't think I'm singling you out...I hate statements like "stiff competition" when it comes to recruiting. I personally think it's demeaning to MU, it's like they can't compete, and they should be able to compete with anyone.

I like to think MU is stiff competition for the others, too.

Stiff competition means only that. It doesn't mean "can't compete." It's just a fact.

Minnesota and Texas gave MU stiff competition for Garcia ... but we still landed him.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #614 on: March 30, 2020, 07:20:23 PM »
I like to think MU is stiff competition for the others, too.

Stiff competition means only that. It doesn't mean "can't compete." It's just a fact.

Minnesota and Texas gave MU stiff competition for Garcia ... but we still landed him.

This kind of makes my point MU82...I'd be really curious to know if when fans from other teams see Marquette on the same list as someone they are recruiting if they think they are "stiff competition"?? I mean that in all honesty. It just seems like so many times posters here will see a list of schools on someone that MU is recruiting, and depending on the schools think MU will essentially have no chance. Not saying at all that's what TAMU is insinuating here, he's not(I don't think). But I see it a lot from MU posters when it comes to recruiting...they see a list and say "not a chance in hell he comes to MU". I'd like to see that mindset change, and instead of MU being the hunter so to speak, they become the hunted to their own fans.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #615 on: March 30, 2020, 07:26:29 PM »
I think a lot of that comes from either going in for a blue chipper against a BB that is known to have bag droppers (Grimes KU), or where there is another inherent disadvantage (getting Nico to leave his home warm state of Arizona and come to Milwaukee).  If it's a situation where it's just a straight up recruiting battle, I feel much better about our chances even if we don't end up coming out on top.  We obviously got Garcia, up until that last minute I felt we had just as good of a chance as anyone for Davis.  I have a similar feeling about some of the current "big fish" we're in on.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #616 on: March 30, 2020, 07:30:58 PM »
This kid is from Chicago.. Shot 33% from 3 on the year, but did shoot 48% from 3 in MAC play, albeit on only 29 attempts(14-29).

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
2h
Western Michigan forward Brandon Johnson is expected to graduate and transfer, sources told ESPN. Third-team All-MAC this past season, averaged 15.4 points and 8.1 rebounds.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 07:41:40 PM by muguru »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #617 on: March 30, 2020, 10:00:24 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
6m
Western Michigan has now lost its top two scorers after promoting assistant Clayton Bates to the head spot.

Brandon Johnson (15.4 ppg) was in the portal earlier and leading scorer and junior guard Michael Flowers (17 ppg) told @Stadium
 he has put his name in the portal.

Bolded for new info

MU82

• All American
« Reply #618 on: March 30, 2020, 10:29:17 PM »
This kind of makes my point MU82...I'd be really curious to know if when fans from other teams see Marquette on the same list as someone they are recruiting if they think they are "stiff competition"?? I mean that in all honesty. It just seems like so many times posters here will see a list of schools on someone that MU is recruiting, and depending on the schools think MU will essentially have no chance. Not saying at all that's what TAMU is insinuating here, he's not(I don't think). But I see it a lot from MU posters when it comes to recruiting...they see a list and say "not a chance in hell he comes to MU". I'd like to see that mindset change, and instead of MU being the hunter so to speak, they become the hunted to their own fans.

I think you're reading too much into all this, guru. I don't think you're doing it maliciously or anything, but I do think that's what you're doing.

I don't really care what fans of Kentucky or UTEP or Long Beach State think about Marquette. I'm not sure why you do. I think I'm a pretty objective, realistic guy, while also being an optimist. When I see we are recruiting a stud, I get all the information and try to make a reasoned opinion on whether we have a legit chance. I thought we had a legit chance at Garcia and Ellenson and, yes, Grimes. The fact that I thought we faced "stiff competition" to land them, because other great programs and even bluebloods in some cases were after them doesn't mean anything other than that. If Kansas fans didn't consider Marquette to be "stiff competition" for Grimes ... I don't know and I don't care.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #619 on: March 30, 2020, 11:25:34 PM »
Just saw on his twitter that Travis Evee from VMI is transferring. Sit one, play 3. He was their leading scorer this year as a true freshman - averaged 12.6ppg, 36% 3fg on 6.5 attempts per game. Had some big games against solid competition: 26 pts @ Duquesne, 20 pts @ Virginia Tech, 23 pts vs ETSU. 6ft pg, lean build, not an explosive athlete but a really good kid and smart player, good shooter, lefty.

Interesting note, he did a prep year at Vermont academy and started in the backcourt alongside Symir. Him and Sy are good friends. Prior to that he played 4 years at BC High, he was a stud there. Really good kid, hard worker. He played with my little brother so I’ve seen him play a bunch. I haven’t watched him since high school so I’m not sure if he’s quite good enough to be a difference maker in the BE but someone to keep an eye on. Sy liked and retweeted Travis’ tweet about transferring fwiw.

Highlights - https://youtu.be/GDlFEEU_xY4
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:55:43 PM by Celtic Truth »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #620 on: March 31, 2020, 02:29:31 AM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
6m
Western Michigan has now lost its top two scorers after promoting assistant Clayton Bates to the head spot.

Brandon Johnson (15.4 ppg) was in the portal earlier and leading scorer and junior guard Michael Flowers (17 ppg) told @Stadium
 he has put his name in the portal.

Bolded for new info

I was told if assistants were promoted every current player and committed recruit would stay at their school

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #621 on: March 31, 2020, 07:33:11 AM »
It took awhile to get up, but the first edition of Paint Touches' free agent tracker is live. My personal take on who the top grad transfer available are:

https://painttouches.com/2020/03/31/ncaa-free-agent-tracker-march-31st-edition/
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #622 on: March 31, 2020, 07:53:18 AM »
It took awhile to get up, but the first edition of Paint Touches' free agent tracker is live. My personal take on who the top grad transfer available are:

https://painttouches.com/2020/03/31/ncaa-free-agent-tracker-march-31st-edition/

Pretty telling that Jonah Antonio didn't even make the honorable mention.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #623 on: March 31, 2020, 07:58:58 AM »

These are two very different things.  And TAMU didn't say the latter.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #624 on: March 31, 2020, 08:27:20 AM »
But I see it a lot from MU posters when it comes to recruiting...they see a list and say "not a chance in hell he comes to MU". I'd like to see that mindset change, and instead of MU being the hunter so to speak, they become the hunted to their own fans.

This is what we called quarantine bored

feedback