[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 464492 times)

Boone

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #500 on: March 29, 2020, 11:49:59 AM »
Beyond giving away the keys to the kingdom, what exactly does Wojo have to sell that would interest a 5 star? Certainly not his track record of NCAA success

muguru

• All American
« Reply #501 on: March 29, 2020, 11:52:13 AM »
MU was initially interested in Wertz, but they aren't in his final 11...again, this is totally okay. As options start to dwindle and Turner, Griffin and Carton remain available is a good thing for MU.

Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
5m
Santa Clara transfer Trey Wertz has cut down his list to 11 programs, he told @Stockrisers
: Arizona, Butler, NC State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Stanford, Virginia, Xavier, Vanderbilt.

Averaged 11.5 points per game and shot 40% from three.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #502 on: March 29, 2020, 12:00:58 PM »
So let me get this straight. Wojo is boring, Wojo can’t coach, Wojo doesn’t win, and he can only sell a five star on coming in and shooting the ball whenever he wants. Yet he has a top 10 recruiting class in the country?

Hmm...

Major flaws in the argument here. But that’s never stopped people from making claims so...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #503 on: March 29, 2020, 12:04:00 PM »
So let me get this straight. Wojo is boring, Wojo can’t coach, Wojo doesn’t win, and he can only sell a five star on coming in and shooting the ball whenever he wants. Yet he has a top 10 recruiting class in the country?

Hmm...

Major flaws in the argument here. But that’s never stopped people from making claims so...

Definitely not a top 10 class...

panda

• All American
« Reply #504 on: March 29, 2020, 12:08:49 PM »
When has a 5 ever been important in our offense?

Both Garcia and Lewis are capable of playing the 5. If we do sign Gasperini, I wouldn't imagine him playing more than a few minutes a game unless there's extreme foul trouble.

On defense?

Neither Garcia nor Lewis are ready to step in and play significant minutes on defense at the 5 next season.

Doo

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #505 on: March 29, 2020, 12:12:58 PM »
The head coach has to have “it.”  Kids largely sign with a program due to the head coach...

You previously said this...

Quote from: Elonsmusk on March 21, 2020, 02:29:58 PM
Reality is, is that Stan was basically the guy responsible for getting all of our recruits.

Which is it???  The head coach or the assist coach???

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #506 on: March 29, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »

Hmm...

One good class every 5 years isn’t going to get it down, especially not with his coaching acumen. Further, the ace recruiter just left. Killings is impressive though so that was a good hire by Wojo.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #507 on: March 29, 2020, 12:14:36 PM »
On defense?

Neither Garcia nor Lewis are ready to step in and play significant minutes on defense at the 5 next season.

That is why you get a grad transfer. 

You are trying so hard to make a conversation with a recruit bad that you are spinning yourself in a circle.

panda

• All American
« Reply #508 on: March 29, 2020, 12:15:51 PM »
Beyond giving away the keys to the kingdom, what exactly does Wojo have to sell that would interest a 5 star? Certainly not his track record of NCAA success

He did have a lot to sell. A lot of it was his visions of the future team once he settled into the program and available playing time because of the train wreck Buzz left.

He can still sell his vision, but opposing coaches should have a pretty easy time recruiting against him given his results over the last six seasons.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #509 on: March 29, 2020, 12:18:27 PM »
The head coach has to have “it.”  Kids largely sign with a program due to the head coach...

You previously said this...

Quote from: Elonsmusk on March 21, 2020, 02:29:58 PM
Reality is, is that Stan was basically the guy responsible for getting all of our recruits.

Which is it???  The head coach or the assist coach???

Yes. Stan sold the F out of MU and Wojo. Lots of playing time available to sell this past recruiting cycle. Didn’t have to sell against another year end implosion either. Losing Sam and Joey opened up a lot of PT.

Question:  What grade do you give Wojo so far?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #510 on: March 29, 2020, 12:22:52 PM »
Me: logs on to the Scoop and sees 4 new pages on the transfer thread today.  Thinks we landed a transfer and there is quality discussion about his role moving forward.

In reality: 4 pages with only one real new piece of info and the rest is the usual Wojo bashing and dumping on former players (side note: considering he had one eye and multiple major leg injuries, starting for an E8 team is a major accomplishment for Otule and should not be diminished).  Whatever grad transfer 5 we get is probably looking at, at most, 15 mpg, he doesn't need to be the second coming of Pat Ewing, he just needs to be serviceable.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #512 on: March 29, 2020, 12:29:51 PM »
Good interview with Killings taking about a lot of what we are discussing in this thread.

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/My-interview-with-Marquette-Associate-Head-Coach-Dwayne-Killings-145502975/?utm_source=247Sports%2520Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=200329_001736_MarquetteGoldenEagles&utm_content=Link

Seems very charismatic. He’s going to bail Wojo out on the recruiting trail and in huddles. Hopefully he gets the chance to show us what he can do in post game interviews. I’m 90% ready to fire Wojo to hire Killings. If he shows some personality in an interview after a game that seals the deal for me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Boone

• All American
« Reply #513 on: March 29, 2020, 12:41:40 PM »
Panda:

Yes, “did” is the operative word. Going forward, I don’t expect many/any Henrys, Markuses, or Dawsons to buy into Wojo’s vision — unless all they really care about is having a stage to showcase for the NBA

panda

• All American
« Reply #514 on: March 29, 2020, 12:52:31 PM »
Panda:

Yes, “did” is the operative word. Going forward, I don’t expect many/any Henrys, Markuses, or Dawsons to buy into Wojo’s vision — unless all they really care about is having a stage to showcase for the NBA

Yep - The program is getting to be a very hard sell at this point.

I could see Carton committing though as he has a previous relationship with the staff and he clearly wants to be the man. Otherwise, it’ll be tough sledding.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #515 on: March 29, 2020, 12:53:01 PM »
Seems very charismatic. He’s going to bail Wojo out on the recruiting trail and in huddles. Hopefully he gets the chance to show us what he can do in post game interviews. I’m 90% ready to fire Wojo to hire Killings. If he shows some personality in an interview after a game that seals the deal for me.

Proud of you. Though it took a full 6 years for you to admit the folly of your early predictions and promises of glory under Boy Wonder - it’s never too late to swallow ones pride. Well done here Wades. I’m sure you will find it liberating not having to contort your posts and logic into suggesting our coach has us trending like Duke and Jay Wright at Villanova.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #516 on: March 29, 2020, 12:54:58 PM »
Good interview with Killings taking about a lot of what we are discussing in this thread.

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/My-interview-with-Marquette-Associate-Head-Coach-Dwayne-Killings-145502975/?utm_source=247Sports%2520Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=200329_001736_MarquetteGoldenEagles&utm_content=Link
Killings:  .....“There are so many kids out there and so many kids calling – you have to think of who they are as people and how they would fit into the program.”

Interesting that “so many kids are calling” MU inquiring about the situation they have to offer.
Seems that kids would be the ones receiving the calls, not making them.

panda

• All American
« Reply #517 on: March 29, 2020, 12:59:01 PM »
Killings:  .....“There are so many kids out there and so many kids calling – you have to think of who they are as people and how they would fit into the program.”

Interesting that “so many kids are calling” MU inquiring about the situation they have to offer.

DOS:  I don’t want to date myself but when I attended Marquette in the late 70s, early 80s, and I worked with the basketball program and sports information, I remember Marquette beating Duke in Madison and Rick Majerus running to a pay phone at the Dane County Coliseum in order to talk with Doc Rivers at home in Chicago.  I heard him say, “Hey, Doc, did you see the game?  What a game, right?”  ….how technology has changed.  You now have your phones.  It’s almost like a 24/7 effort between your phones, technology and the internet.

Killings actual answer - Is there a question here? Are you asking me to start interviewing you?

Boone

• All American
« Reply #518 on: March 29, 2020, 01:05:10 PM »
Lol! Also funny that MU’s resident apologist and #1 schmuck didn’t edit out Killings’ response

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #519 on: March 29, 2020, 01:06:16 PM »
Proud of you. Though it took a full 6 years for you to admit the folly of your early predictions and promises of glory under Boy Wonder - it’s never too late to swallow ones pride. Well done here Wades. I’m sure you will find it liberating not having to contort your posts and logic into suggesting our coach has us trending like Duke and Jay Wright at Villanova.

Not sure Wade's bar is very high by hiring on the premise of personality. 

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #520 on: March 29, 2020, 01:07:28 PM »

I pointed this out in an earlier post about how the portal works. I think a good number of players don’t want to hear from 300 schools so they do the reaching out to the schools they are interested in.

Instead of saying MU has no interest they just say they have heard from MU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #521 on: March 29, 2020, 01:40:10 PM »
There’s a lot to sell at MU, it’s not like there 15-15 every year, but more importantly Wojo has the backing of the administration with a ton of money to run the program, with that, he can recruit the whole country, not every program has the budget to do that, curious what is the recruiting budget of other Big East programs?
Including MUScoop, which works so hard to derail Wojo.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #522 on: March 29, 2020, 01:40:45 PM »
Obviously you don't understand that a "program changer" doesn't necessarily mean his Freshman year, but more future years and the impact it will have on recruiting. Without Carton and/or Griffin and/or Hunter, it's going to be struggle next year. 2 of those 3 would help immensely. I wouldn't expect you to "get" that though. You're used to distorting facts to fit a narrative.

Aside from your unnecessary insult in your last line (given that I wasn't disrespectful to you at all), thanks for explaining what you meant by "program changer" and by your desire to add highly skilled players for the upcoming season. I agree with them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #523 on: March 29, 2020, 01:45:42 PM »
Is Joe Flacco a elite quarterback?

"We will Survive."
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MU82

• All American
« Reply #524 on: March 29, 2020, 01:53:12 PM »
I hope Marquette can land a 5 as good as Shaquille O'Neal was coming out of high school, though I'd prefer to get a 5 as good as O'Neal was coming out of college.

Then, maybe as a backup, a Mourning-caliber 5.

Because tons of these guys are available every year, and we have a good recruiting budget, so I don't see why we can't get a few of them.

I mean, look at all the total stud 5's Buzz and Crean landed!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback