Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 464209 times)

dad's couch

• Starter
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #475 on: March 29, 2020, 09:46:40 AM »
How about a different view?? How about you bring in a big that you can dump it down to and he will get you a bucket almost every time?? That's what I would love to see. Even though they were undersized, I'd give anything to have MU bring in another Davante Gardner or Robert Jackson. I have never been a fan of bigs that can't score consistently, regardless of the defense they bring.

How about you understanding how recruiting works? If you were a class of 19 kid you see you would be behind Theo, Ed and Ike. If you are a class of 20 kid you would be behind Theo and Ike. Yes I know Ike can't play but he did play over in France and Spain and that's when recruiting is really picking up.

Kids have over 300 options. Wojo tried to recruit bigs. Cockburn of U of I was one. Go back and look at the chart for others. The biggest thing about recruiting is it not a draft. Coaches don't select their players. The players select them. The only kind of kid other than a top 20 center to come here are kids heading to the Patriot League but dreaming big. And now people are whining about getting a kid from the Patriot league. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #476 on: March 29, 2020, 09:48:03 AM »
Even though they were undersized, I'd give anything to have MU bring in another Davante Gardner or Robert Jackson.
I don’t think RJ was undersized, was he?

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #477 on: March 29, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »

Otule and Heldt were clearly at least back up quality.  You didn't count on either for scoring.  Just defense and rebounds.  And they did fine in that regard.

That's still aiming pretty low. Neither were very good backups. Likeable guys? Sure. The problem persists...other than a non-traditional big like Ellenson and the aforementioned Fischer, MU has had very few capable offensive big men for years.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #478 on: March 29, 2020, 09:54:38 AM »

Not at all. He was massive.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #479 on: March 29, 2020, 10:00:51 AM »
Obviously a wide body, but suspect he was a wee bit shorter than his listed 6’10”......

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #480 on: March 29, 2020, 10:01:18 AM »
Wow. Total game changer there.

Weren’t you also the guy complaining about Carton not being a good enough guy your alma mater. Lol. GF.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #481 on: March 29, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »
That's still aiming pretty low. Neither were very good backups. Likeable guys? Sure. The problem persists...other than a non-traditional big like Ellenson and the aforementioned Fischer, MU has had very few capable offensive big men for years.

Who say you need much on offense?  Otule was a starter on a S16 and E8 team. In college, a limited big is fine if you put talent around them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #482 on: March 29, 2020, 10:02:03 AM »

I'm talking more height wise..he was 6'8" at best. But he was a beast. It's my own personal preference, but I'd like my true 5's to be at least(a legit) 6"10". Under that, to me they are a PF.

Even this release says he was 6'8"

https://gomarquette.com/news/2001/3/28/Milwaukee_Native_Robert_Jackson_To_Join_Marquette_Basketball_Program.aspx
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:04:25 AM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #483 on: March 29, 2020, 10:07:00 AM »
I'm talking more height wise..he was 6'8" at best. But he was a beast. It's my own personal preference, but I'd like my true 5's to be at least(a legit) 6"10". Under that, to me they are a PF.

Even this release says he was 6'8"

https://gomarquette.com/news/2001/3/28/Milwaukee_Native_Robert_Jackson_To_Join_Marquette_Basketball_Program.aspx

At that time I have to imagine all players had an exaggerated height by a couple of inches. The same guys listed at 6'10 (Jackson's listed height) were probably around 6'8 and 6'9 themselves.

panda

• All American
« Reply #484 on: March 29, 2020, 10:07:36 AM »
How about you understanding how recruiting works? If you were a class of 19 kid you see you would be behind Theo, Ed and Ike. If you are a class of 20 kid you would be behind Theo and Ike. Yes I know Ike can't play but he did play over in France and Spain and that's when recruiting is really picking up.

Kids have over 300 options. Wojo tried to recruit bigs. Cockburn of U of I was one. Go back and look at the chart for others. The biggest thing about recruiting is it not a draft. Coaches don't select their players. The players select them. The only kind of kid other than a top 20 center to come here are kids heading to the Patriot League but dreaming big. And now people are whining about getting a kid from the Patriot league.

Eke hasn’t been active for two years. So the only true holdover 5 has been John. Morrow never wanted to play center which is why he transferred from Nebraska in the first place.

Signing grad transfers can range from Chartouny to Johnson. There’s high risk involved and it’s a tough market to compete in.

Personal preference but, I’d rather have a guy grow for a few years in our system than a revolving door of mercenaries. We were very lucky with how Jayce worked out.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #485 on: March 29, 2020, 10:17:39 AM »
I want a guy who can score and who can play D.

Don't care if he's 17 or 24, freshman or grad transfer, green or purple. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #486 on: March 29, 2020, 10:21:51 AM »
Eke hasn’t been active for two years. So the only true holdover 5 has been John. Morrow never wanted to play center which is why he transferred from Nebraska in the first place.

Signing grad transfers can range from Chartouny to Johnson. There’s high risk involved and it’s a tough market to compete in.

Personal preference but, I’d rather have a guy grow for a few years in our system than a revolving door of mercenaries. We were very lucky with how Jayce worked out.

Signing Jucos can range from Fulce to Butler or Crowder

Signing freshman can range from Yous to Wade

Signing traditional transfer can range from Morrow to Wilson, Rowsey, Fisher.

Recruiting is a tough market to be in.  There’s high risk involved and it’s a tough market to compete in. 

I think it can be shown that MU has whiffed more on freshman than grad transfers.  In many cases those freshman become revolving door transfers.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:23:26 AM by BallBoy »

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #487 on: March 29, 2020, 10:32:05 AM »
To also point out recruiting cycles, most freshman sign in the fall but more and more top talent is waiting to the spring to see who declares.  Coaches know who they are in on and who is likely to sign for the spring.

Grad transfers commit after much of the dust has settled so the argument of grad transfer versus freshman is moot. Most likely we are in the grad transfer market because the freshman already signed or you had a transfer at the end of the season.  The coach is looking to fill a hole with an immediately eligible player.

The grad transfer plays the immediate next season so the next class of freshman to sign in the fall won’t be impacted like a trad transfer or even having to cut someone to make room for a next player. 

Really the argument is grad transfer or nothing.

panda

• All American
« Reply #488 on: March 29, 2020, 10:46:34 AM »
Signing Jucos can range from Fulce to Butler or Crowder

Signing freshman can range from Yous to Wade

Signing traditional transfer can range from Morrow to Wilson, Rowsey, Fisher.

Recruiting is a tough market to be in.  There’s high risk involved and it’s a tough market to compete in. 

I think it can be shown that MU has whiffed more on freshman than grad transfers.  In many cases those freshman become revolving door transfers.

It’s most important to find guys that can fit into your program. That’s really hard to do when you’re consistently getting one year stop gaps while trying to fix a bigger issue.

panda

• All American
« Reply #489 on: March 29, 2020, 10:46:55 AM »
To also point out recruiting cycles, most freshman sign in the fall but more and more top talent is waiting to the spring to see who declares.  Coaches know who they are in on and who is likely to sign for the spring.

Grad transfers commit after much of the dust has settled so the argument of grad transfer versus freshman is moot. Most likely we are in the grad transfer market because the freshman already signed or you had a transfer at the end of the season.  The coach is looking to fill a hole with an immediately eligible player.

The grad transfer plays the immediate next season so the next class of freshman to sign in the fall won’t be impacted like a trad transfer or even having to cut someone to make room for a next player. 

Really the argument is grad transfer or nothing.

My point is, you could have posted this exact same thing last season when we signed Jayce.....

This has been a known need for a couple of seasons and I don’t think it’s best for the program to scramble after a season and hope there’s someone available immediately to fill a need for the next season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #490 on: March 29, 2020, 10:58:55 AM »
Geez, there is a lot of angst about how we might use our 12th/13th scholarship.

If Gasperini is he only player we bring in this offseason, that will be a recruiting failure. As long as we get 1 or 2 of the other top targets, then it means we found our emergency center for next year which is a fine use for a 12th or 13th scholarship. Personally, I'd rather get a 1 year rental who is bad, then tie up a scholarship for multiple years with a bad FR.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #491 on: March 29, 2020, 11:17:44 AM »
Geez, there is a lot of angst about how we might use our 12th/13th scholarship.

If Gasperini is he only player we bring in this offseason, that will be a recruiting failure. As long as we get 1 or 2 of the other top targets, then it means we found our emergency center for next year which is a fine use for a 12th or 13th scholarship. Personally, I'd rather get a 1 year rental who is bad, then tie up a scholarship for multiple years with a bad FR.

If Wojo changes up the offensive scheme making the 5 not as important, I don’t see this as a huge issue.

The frustrations are if he’s playing a role as Theo’s primary 1a backup.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #492 on: March 29, 2020, 11:20:20 AM »
If Wojo changes up the offensive scheme making the 5 not as important, I don’t see this as a huge issue.

He could the 5 be less important in this offense than it is now?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #493 on: March 29, 2020, 11:21:45 AM »
The 5 is important In wojo’s offense now?
I guess setting screen after screen is important.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #494 on: March 29, 2020, 11:22:11 AM »

Really enlightening post. Thanks for this. Who knew in the college model that players choose schools, and aren’t drafted?

All the more reason you need an effective coach both in XOs AND charismatic. Right now we have a coach who doesn’t possess either essential attribute. Perhaps hard to get a coach at MU that has both, but there is no reason we can’t have a coach that possesses at least one of the two essential attributes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #495 on: March 29, 2020, 11:23:30 AM »

When has a 5 ever been important in our offense?

Both Garcia and Lewis are capable of playing the 5. If we do sign Gasperini, I wouldn't imagine him playing more than a few minutes a game unless there's extreme foul trouble.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #496 on: March 29, 2020, 11:23:57 AM »
Really enlightening post. Thanks for this. Who knew in the college model that players choose schools, and aren’t drafted?

All the more reason you need an effective coach both in XOs AND charismatic. Right now we have a coach who doesn’t possess either essential attribute. Perhaps hard to get a coach at MU that has both, but there is no reason we can’t have a coach that possesses at least one of the two essential attributes.

What if they bring in assistant that is experienced in X's and O's??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #497 on: March 29, 2020, 11:31:42 AM »
What if they bring in assistant that is experienced in X's and O's??

Tend to think this is somewhat overrated. The head coach has to have “it.”  Kids largely sign with a program due to the head coach/roster complexion/playing time availability.

Right now we aren’t putting kids into the NBA, and we aren’t winning at all in March. About the only selling point Wojo has - which is probably an ultimate failure to building the program - is telling a 5-star:  I’ll give you the ultimate green light, just like I did Henry Ellenson and Markus Howard.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #498 on: March 29, 2020, 11:37:20 AM »
Yup, that's the Wojo sales pitch -- the only thing he has left to sell

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #499 on: March 29, 2020, 11:46:04 AM »
There’s a lot to sell at MU, it’s not like there 15-15 every year, but more importantly Wojo has the backing of the administration with a ton of money to run the program, with that, he can recruit the whole country, not every program has the budget to do that, curious what is the recruiting budget of other Big East programs?

feedback