'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 464499 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #450 on: March 29, 2020, 07:54:29 AM »
I strongly advocate Buzz’s approach to roster building, in that you just simply try to find guys who can play, and who are versatile.  Positions will sort themselves out once the team is practicing and playing together.  You obviously can’t recruit a bunch of 5’11- 6’2 players, but follow this model within reason.  The square peg/ round hole never works well. 

Well how about actually recruiting a big.  The last post player we brought in as a freshman was....Theo John.

It's not so much a square peg / round hole thing as it is a stopgap messure kind of thing. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #451 on: March 29, 2020, 08:07:32 AM »

Well how about actually recruiting a big.  The last post player we brought in as a freshman was....Theo John.

It's not so much a square peg / round hole thing as it is a stopgap messure kind of thing.

If they’re out there and open to attending MU, great.  But this is an imperfect world.  Big East caliber bigs are not plentiful in high school or transfer market.  You might need to go to plan B. I think TAMU described the depressed state of grad transfer bigs available.  This roster needs a general talent upgrade and not settle for lesser talent to fill a need.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #452 on: March 29, 2020, 08:18:15 AM »
I would rather take flyers on Otule or Heldt quality post players, even if they wind up as back ups, then scramble to find players from the Patriot League.

With a 13 man roster, you can have both quality and depth.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #453 on: March 29, 2020, 08:27:52 AM »
Who currently is Theo's backup? A Patriot league player is better than no one. It's not like the scholarship is needed elsewhere and will be available the following season.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #454 on: March 29, 2020, 08:32:16 AM »
Who currently is Theo's backup? A Patriot league player is better than no one. It's not like the scholarship is needed elsewhere and will be available the following season.

I agree with you that this is what is needed now.

I would prefer developing a big as a freshman who can serve in that role, and to my knowledge, we have hardly looked at any post players in the last three years.  I mean, we don't even have a player to *start* in that role in 2021-22 unless we think it will be Dawson Garcia.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #455 on: March 29, 2020, 08:41:09 AM »
I strongly advocate Buzz’s approach to roster building, in that you just simply try to find guys who can play, and who are versatile.  Positions will sort themselves out once the team is practicing and playing together.  You obviously can’t recruit a bunch of 5’11- 6’2 players, but follow this model within reason.  The square peg/ round hole never works well.

Buzz’s recruiting philosophy was a true point guard, a true 5, and switchables.

For comparison purposes Buzz brought the following centers to MU.
Otule
Gardner - listed as a 4 not 5
Pierce - Never made it to campus. He averaged <2pts his career.

Previous forgotten but now added
Yous
Roseboro
Durley
Fisher —> I forgot this one because it was in the year Buzz was “mailing it in” and left 3 months later. 

Buzz seemed to finally play centers that were back to the basket 4s.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:37:02 AM by BallBoy »

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #456 on: March 29, 2020, 08:43:28 AM »

Don't forget Ike.  Sad turn of events for him.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #457 on: March 29, 2020, 08:44:24 AM »
I love that we’re already crying about the kid(s) we haven’t even landed yet.

Some people just need to complain in order to be happy.

Agreed. Just because our name is mentioned doesn’t mean we are going to get that player. It just shows the staff is looking at a lot of places. How is this a negative? 

panda

• All American
« Reply #458 on: March 29, 2020, 08:44:45 AM »
I think it’s somewhat of an issue when you’re recruiting a grad transfer 5 man two years in a row. Maybe we can go for the double trifecta next year after Theo graduates!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #459 on: March 29, 2020, 08:52:46 AM »
Buzz’s recruiting philosophy was a true point guard, a true 5, and switchables.

For comparison purposes Buzz brought the following centers to MU.
Otule
Gardner - listed as a 4 not 5
Pierce - Never made it to campus. He averaged <2pts his career.

Buzz seemed to finally play centers that were back to the basket 4s.

Don't forget Brett Roseboro, who he cut after summer workouts, and Aaron Durley, who also never made it to campus because he pulled the scholie after he signed his LOI.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #460 on: March 29, 2020, 08:55:13 AM »
I don’t see it as an issue. A grad transfer big is more physically and mentally mature than a Frosh or soph.
Jayce was exactly what they were looking for, and got it.

However, after Heldt left I said we need to get a HS 5 in here and learn. Hadn’t happened.
There is room for both.

panda

• All American
« Reply #461 on: March 29, 2020, 08:57:05 AM »
I don’t see it as an issue. A grad transfer big is more physically and mentally mature than a Frosh or soph.
Jayce was exactly what they were looking for, and got it.

However, after Heldt left I said we need to get a HS 5 in here and learn. Hadn’t happened.
There is room for both.

JJ was already a high major player. Gasperini is a question mark with a big step up.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #462 on: March 29, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »

Don't forget Brett Roseboro, who he cut after summer workouts, and Aaron Durley, who also never made it to campus because he pulled the scholie after he signed his LOI.

I forgot about Roseboro. he left of his own choice.

I have no recollection or Aaron Durley.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #463 on: March 29, 2020, 09:01:37 AM »
If they’re out there and open to attending MU, great.  But this is an imperfect world.  Big East caliber bigs are not plentiful in high school or transfer market.  You might need to go to plan B. I think TAMU described the depressed state of grad transfer bigs available.  This roster needs a general talent upgrade and not settle for lesser talent to fill a need.

Maybe they are trying to do that concurrently?!  Or would that be too much to wrap ur simple mind around.  A bunch of top 100 bigs have been on campus. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #464 on: March 29, 2020, 09:02:17 AM »
I think it’s somewhat of an issue when you’re recruiting a grad transfer 5 man two years in a row.
Again, I don’t think it’s an issue to recruit grad transfer bigs, as you do.
They got Jayce for one year rental. Everyone knew that.
I made no mention of this grad vs. that grad as you are now doing.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #465 on: March 29, 2020, 09:03:10 AM »

I have no recollection or Aaron Durley.

Aaron Durley was a guy from Texas that Buzz offered early.  He signed his LOI in November of his senior year, but ended up having a pretty poor season.  Buzz's story was that he wanted him to go prep for a year before coming, but my guess is that Buzz just didn't want him.

He ended up at TCU where injuries derailed his career but he ended up getting his degree.

I also forgot Yous Mbao.  He lasted a year before transferring to Marshall.  Who can forget him playing the top of the 1-3-1 zone?

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #466 on: March 29, 2020, 09:06:04 AM »

Aaron Durley was a guy from Texas that Buzz offered early.  He signed his LOI in November of his senior year, but ended up having a pretty poor season.  Buzz's story was that he wanted him to go prep for a year before coming, but my guess is that Buzz just didn't want him.

He ended up at TCU where injuries derailed his career but he ended up getting his degree.

I also forgot Yous Mbao.  He lasted a year before transferring to Marshall.  Who can forget him playing the top of the 1-3-1 zone?

Yep. I googled him and it came back. I think this goes to show that there really aren’t that many good big men and most of the time they don’t develop.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #467 on: March 29, 2020, 09:07:50 AM »
Yep. I googled him and it came back. I think this goes to show that there really aren’t that many good big men and most of the time they don’t develop.

Fair point.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #468 on: March 29, 2020, 09:08:09 AM »

Yes--was @UW for the game and when I saw the 1-3-1, I knew we were in trouble.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #469 on: March 29, 2020, 09:19:18 AM »
I think it’s somewhat of an issue when you’re recruiting a grad transfer 5 man two years in a row. Maybe we can go for the double trifecta next year after Theo graduates!

Look at it from recruit's view. If you have 300+ options to go to college. If you were a class of 19 and looked at MU you saw Theo, Ed and Ike ahead of you on the depth chart. You are possibly 4th as a FR and 3rd as a Soph. If you are a class of 20 kid you see as a FR you are behind Theo and Ike for a year. Hard to recruit in to that logjam. Maybe the best you can get is a Patriot level player who dreams of playing in a major conference. And some of you are upset we are looking at the exact kid we could have possibly gotten.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #470 on: March 29, 2020, 09:28:30 AM »
I would rather take flyers on Otule or Heldt quality post players, even if they wind up as back ups, then scramble to find players from the Patriot League.

With a 13 man roster, you can have both quality and depth.

The problem with that is Otule and Heldt were barely backup quality players and at times they were starting. I'm disappointed MU hasn't gotten another big man at least the caliber of Luke Fischer. A player that was about as widely underappreciated as he was below expectation for some.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #471 on: March 29, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »
Look at it from recruit's view. If you have 300+ options to go to college. If you were a class of 19 and looked at MU you saw Theo, Ed and Ike ahead of you on the depth chart. You are possibly 4th as a FR and 3rd as a Soph. If you are a class of 20 kid you see as a FR you are behind Theo and Ike for a year. Hard to recruit in to that logjam. Maybe the best you can get is a Patriot level player who dreams of playing in a major conference. And some of you are upset we are looking at the exact kid we could have possibly gotten.

How about a different view?? How about you bring in a big that you can dump it down to and he will get you a bucket almost every time?? That's what I would love to see. Even though they were undersized, I'd give anything to have MU bring in another Davante Gardner or Robert Jackson. I have never been a fan of bigs that can't score consistently, regardless of the defense they bring.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #472 on: March 29, 2020, 09:29:38 AM »

Did he though?

Dursley’s claim of fame was being a massive LLWS player.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #473 on: March 29, 2020, 09:32:27 AM »
Gasperini will be better than a HS fresh. It’s not like MU needs 25 minutes per game from him. 15-18 minutes works in partnership w/Theo. If Garcia is an impact front line/wing guy...maybe Lewis too, and Bailey improves, Elliott is healthy, Torrance, Cain, McEwen improve, Wojo improves too!, possibly sign Carton and Mane...if so, then MU has a chance at a good season. Lots of ‘if’s’, I know. Critical to obtain ‘big’ depth and a good pt.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #474 on: March 29, 2020, 09:33:55 AM »
The problem with that is Otule and Heldt were barely backup quality players and at times they were starting. I'm disappointed MU hasn't gotten another big man at least the caliber of Luke Fischer. A player that was about as widely underappreciated as he was below expectation for some.

Otule and Heldt were clearly at least back up quality.  You didn't count on either for scoring.  Just defense and rebounds.  And they did fine in that regard.

feedback