[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Stop blaming the coach  (Read 5492 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Stop blaming the coach
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »
Actually, he exposed Markus for being only a one dimensional player. Never coached him to be a complete player. Howard may love him now, but will likely feel cheated later.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2020, 03:44:14 PM »
I blame the fans that suck, not Wojo.
The fans, coronavirus and leap year are all to blame!

(Oh, and Trump too!)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2020, 03:46:34 PM »
I fully support Marquette.  I fully support our players - they seem like good dudes.

I just don't think the coach is very good.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriors78

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2020, 04:23:53 PM »
Actually, he exposed Markus for being only a one dimensional player. Never coached him to be a complete player. Howard may love him now, but will likely feel cheated later.

right, that's exactly what the coach did as opposed to:  hey come play at a high major program with practically every game televised on national TV.  you can play all the minutes you want starting day one as a freshman.  feel free to shoot from wherever and whenever you want.  you'll be the focal point no matter what even if other players get upset and leave the program.  you are the program because you have the talent and character that Marquette is privileged to have, whatever you need to get you to the next level we will support be it playing point guard, shooting guard, anything at all.  we'll even try some zone defense so you don't get exposed even though man to man is all i know from Duke as a player or assistant coach

thanks for all the insightful replies back, was good reminder of why i don't post often

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 04:27:54 PM »
Higherin' a coach iz a crapshoot. Wee soiled our Haggars on dis won. Adios ta ewe and da horse ya road inn on, aina?

Doc I’m sorry but you’re getting it all wrong.

The NCAA tournament is the crapshoot.

Hiring a coach is very scientific. You hire a guy, then must stick with him for at least a decade and a half for continuity. Then you should be able to judge competence, an hopefully your coach will have enough rolls of the dice in the crapshoot to have won an NCAA tournament game by then.

That’s how I’m told this works.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 04:40:44 PM »
Wojo has tactical coaching flaws, but Marquette is lucky to have him and he's lucky to be here.  It's a mutually beneficial relationship.  He's doing a phenomenal job recruiting and is keeping the program relevant and in the top 25-40 which I'm happy with.  I'm not sure what expectations are for most, but I don't ever want to go back to being irrelevant I'm enjoying this era starting with Crean.

In five of last six games lost, the team (excluding Howard) shot 29%, 23%, 27%, 21% and 35% from 3pt range.  This offense relies on the 3pt shot given limited inside scoring options and that FG% won't beat anyone especially as many shots are uncontested (thanks to Howard).  The officiating in the DePaul loss was horrendous and lopsided in DePaul's favor, but to their credit hitting 31 free throws at 90% is something I can't recall ever seeing.  Howard needs to make better decisions too.  The whole team needs to step up!

Did Wojo give you back the knee pads after you wrote this?

Death on call

warriors78

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 04:45:57 PM »

why do you ask, does your mom need them back?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 04:47:44 PM »
right, that's exactly what the coach did as opposed to:  hey come play at a high major program with practically every game televised on national TV.  you can play all the minutes you want starting day one as a freshman.  feel free to shoot from wherever and whenever you want.  you'll be the focal point no matter what even if other players get upset and leave the program.  you are the program because you have the talent and character that Marquette is privileged to have, whatever you need to get you to the next level we will support be it playing point guard, shooting guard, anything at all.  we'll even try some zone defense so you don't get exposed even though man to man is all i know from Duke as a player or assistant coach

thanks for all the insightful replies back, was good reminder of why i don't post often
This is insanity. His job is to win games for Marquette not kowtow to Markus Howard. You’ve inadvertently explained exactly why Wojo has been a disaster. Howard “is the program?”

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 04:48:27 PM »

No, your wife told me she needs them. 3rd Fleet is in town.

Death on call

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »
Look, Coach Leitao knew what it took to beat Marquette.  Pound it inside and rack up fouls.  MU did not have the personnel or skill to stop it.  It worked and eventually DePaul overcame.  Maybe we could of won with a better game plan.  Maybe Wojo knows the limitations of this team. Some teams may try to slow the game down to win, Wojo thinks this team has the best chance to win by playing at a relatively fast pace.  We get lots of turnovers which no one is happy with, but seems like we are in most games.  We don't have the most talented team although I like all the players.  Could Wojo coach better?  Maybe, but he sees this team every day.  I got to believe he understands his players skills and limitations and tries to maximize things to his advantage.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2020, 05:09:17 PM »

Sadly, I believe this to be true.  Markus has the heart of a lion and deserves better.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2020, 05:11:21 PM »

To the board in general:  When was the last time we had a "mother joke" as a response?  Anyone?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2020, 05:23:06 PM »
Look, Coach Leitao knew what it took to beat Marquette.  Pound it inside and rack up fouls.  MU did not have the personnel or skill to stop it.  It worked and eventually DePaul overcame.  Maybe we could of won with a better game plan.  Maybe Wojo knows the limitations of this team. Some teams may try to slow the game down to win, Wojo thinks this team has the best chance to win by playing at a relatively fast pace.  We get lots of turnovers which no one is happy with, but seems like we are in most games.  We don't have the most talented team although I like all the players.  Could Wojo coach better?  Maybe, but he sees this team every day.  I got to believe he understands his players skills and limitations and tries to maximize things to his advantage.

DePaul does have the perfect guy to take advantage of what Marquette can't do, especially on defense. But as Paul Reed didn't play last night, this is a tough one to reconcile.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2020, 05:44:25 PM »

I think this is correct.

To use a dental analogy. Kids love candy and Wojo promises a full store of it.

Then, alas, comes the toothache.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2020, 05:57:42 PM »
I want some of the stuff this guy is taking. If it can make this look good it must be some good stuff.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2020, 05:59:48 PM »
No, he kept the kneepads, but he did get a reach around.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2020, 06:20:44 PM »
Our concern at the beginning of the year was having some consistent scorers around Howard after we lost the Hauser brothers.  Sam would have alleviated a lot of our late season scoring woes that have plagued this team, and getting a player of his caliber and experience is difficult based on the timing of transfers. 

We hoped that Bailey, Sacar and others would step up as consistent scoring options this season, but that just hasn't happened.  The only consistent scoring option has been Howard and I'd rather see him take more contested shots than let some of the guys shoot an open 3 right now.  We may need Howard to just play hero ball to have a chance at any run in the tourney.
Agree 100%. Markus plays too unselfish. We need him to play point and make things happen by assisting and scoring.  Our biggest problem is the lousy coaching. Specifically the lack of game time adjustments. So no is not a good game coach.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2020, 06:23:04 PM »
Top 25-40 is barely relevant.  Relevance is winning some tournament games, which is difficult to do as a 6 to 10 seed.

BTW the refs sucked both ways, don't be a blind homer. If you asked a DePaul fan (if you could find one) they would say the refs favored Marquette.

The DePaul fans behind me we're shouting profanities at the refs all second half.  I heard "let them play ref" mixed in with the curse words a zillion times.