[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Coaching Carousel  (Read 87727 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2020, 11:46:28 AM »
Rob Jeter is the new Western Illinois Head coach
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2020, 12:00:41 PM »
Rob Jeter is the new Western Illinois Head coach
BBFran can now get his W. Illinois tickets.  ;D
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »
No and Mark Few isn’t either.  You recruit to your strengths.  20+ win seasons (virtually guaranteed with soft schedule), consecutive NCAA appearances (same), strong out of conference schedule (ability to do because conference schedule is poor).

plus, playing in front of a packed house every night (hope and away), being the only show in town, charter flights everywhere, national TV, foreign tours once in your career, and yes, a solid education too.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2020, 04:14:48 PM »
Saw this on Coaching changes this morning and thought it was worth posting/discussing:

Coaching Changes
@CoachingChanges
·
8h
2.2 Trillion Dollar Stimulus Package Filibuster

Schools most unhappy w current production levels + output based on investment/ability to reach expectations

Maryland
UConn
Memphis
OKST
Indiana
Texas
Marquette
Minnesota
VCU
Clemson
Georgetown
DePaul
Xavier
Missouri
SMU
Georgia

Coaching Changes
@CoachingChanges
·
8h
Schools who believe they should be
1) competing for national titles every year or so
2) competing to go to the NCAA tournament and win a game or two
3) getting some level of production based on budget spending vs return
4) previous success says it can be done

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2020, 04:24:43 PM »
Saw this on Coaching changes this morning and thought it was worth posting/discussing:

Coaching Changes
@CoachingChanges
·
8h

Schools most unhappy w current production levels + output based on investment/ability to reach expectations

Maryland
UConn
Memphis
OKST
Indiana
Texas
Marquette
Minnesota
VCU
Clemson
Georgetown
DePaul
Xavier
Missouri
SMU
Georgia

Coaching Changes
@CoachingChanges
·
8h

So...even if there is some superstar young coach out there just waiting to be given a chance, what makes you think he would pick MU over I4 or UT? Cuz we've already lost one to I4 and sorta lost another to UT.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2020, 05:48:28 PM »

So...even if there is some superstar young coach out there just waiting to be given a chance, what makes you think he would pick MU over I4 or UT? Cuz we've already lost one to I4 and sorta lost another to UT.
100% Agree. I don't know why MU is DI hoops. I hope the idiots in charge read your post and wise up. Keep speaking the truth my friend.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2020, 06:07:00 PM »
100% Agree. I don't know why MU is DI hoops. I hope the idiots in charge read your post and wise up. Keep speaking the truth my friend.

Wow - did you see my point as it went sailing over your head?

It had nothing to do with MU not belonging in D1, and everything to do with MU being a school that has had  most of its success lately hiring promising assistants - O’Neill, Crean, Buzz and Wojo. UT and IU, on the other hand, seem to always go for proven head coaches. So putting MU on a list with IU and UT is like putting an apple in a bag of oranges.

We can still do well in D1 - see above. We just start in a different place.

Capiche?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »

Coaching Changes
@CoachingChanges
·
8h

8h

This is an interesting list. Are we talking institutions or fans?  My guess is many institutions and their administrations do not feel the same way as a twitter page. Looking at each objectively:

Maryland - won the Big Ten, top 10 this past year. Probably just fine.
UConn - second year, basically rebuilding under sanctions. Actually overachieving and will jump this year
Memphis - probably overachieved this year consideration the roster issues but the administration should be nervous about long term success
OKST - definitely
Indiana - 50/50. IU fans are among the most unrealistic but yeah, I can see some questions about Archie moving forward
Texas - Yes. Hasn't lived up to expectations.
Marquette - Doing what the administration wants but the meltdowns the last two years are a serious cause for concern
Minnesota - Bringing Little Ricky back makes me wonder if they actually care about basketball
VCU - yes.
Clemson - Dabo! Look at Trevor Lawrence's hair. When does spring football start?
Georgetown - only the second year
DePaul - Remember when Mark Aguirre and Rod Strickland played here? How about Dallas Comegys.
Xavier - only the second year for Steele
Missouri - Kim Anderson really hurt that program but Cuonzo he has underachieved after the Porter experiment blew up.
SMU - Do they care enough.  They were garbage since John Koncak left and are lucky Brown didn't put them on probation. 19 wins this past season is great for them
Georgia - only TC's second year. What are we going to be ranked for football?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2020, 08:58:18 PM »
How/Why did this become another debate Wojo thread? There are 50 other threads to make the same arguments over and over.

Anyhow, Billy Gillespie is back in D-1.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28973220/billy-gillispie-hired-head-coach-division-bound-tarleton-state

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2020, 09:05:27 PM »
BBFran can now get his W. Illinois tickets.  ;D

Is Pearl Kiley still his ticket broker?   :o :o :o

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2020, 09:48:34 PM »
Georgetown - only the second year

The second year of what? Ewing is 49-46 over three years.

Three statistics that aren't encouraging:

1. Georgetown has opened in the Wednesday round of the Big East tournament in five of the last seven years.

2. In the last five years, eight of 10 Big East schools have made the NCAA's at least once. The two that have not are Georgetown and DePaul.

3. Georgetown has won a total of two (2) NCAA tournament games since 2008.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2020, 07:56:28 AM »
The second year of what? Ewing is 49-46 over three years.

Three statistics that aren't encouraging:

1. Georgetown has opened in the Wednesday round of the Big East tournament in five of the last seven years.

2. In the last five years, eight of 10 Big East schools have made the NCAA's at least once. The two that have not are Georgetown and DePaul.

3. Georgetown has won a total of two (2) NCAA tournament games since 2008.

So the problem is deeper than just Ewing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2020, 10:16:44 AM »

Wow - did you see my point as it went sailing over your head?

It had nothing to do with MU not belonging in D1, and everything to do with MU being a school that has had  most of its success lately hiring promising assistants - O’Neill, Crean, Buzz and Wojo. UT and IU, on the other hand, seem to always go for proven head coaches. So putting MU on a list with IU and UT is like putting an apple in a bag of oranges.

We can still do well in D1 - see above. We just start in a different place.

Capiche?
Okay, but what was your point? The post you responded to was about MU not getting good results from their current coach. You made it sound like we should just be happy with Wojo because MU can't compete for good young coaches. That is ridiculous. Many or most good young coaches are assistants or head coaches at mid-majors. MU will have no problem getting those candidates.

panda

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2020, 07:18:59 PM »

Coaching Changes
@CoachingChanges
·
8h

Maryland
UConn
Memphis
OKST
Indiana
Texas
Marquette
Minnesota
VCU
Clemson
Georgetown
DePaul
Xavier
Missouri
SMU
Georgia

Coaching Changes
@CoachingChanges
·
8h

It’s an understatement to say those guys do not like Wojo.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2020, 03:16:51 PM »
Bryce Drew adds Ed Schilling, Jamall Walker, Casey Shaw to his Grand Canyon staff.

Interesting Jamall Walker leaving Illinois.

I added Stan’s new LMU staff to the Stan thread the other day

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2020, 07:55:34 PM »
[quote author=GooooMarquette link=topic=60169.msg1228120#msg1228120 date=

Capiche?
[/quote]

And we just let Stan Johnson walk out the door. Frustrating. Wish MU gave him the keys.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2020, 03:18:58 AM »
No school would have given Stan the keys in a similar situation.

Just a Cult of Stan fever dream.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2020, 09:37:20 AM »

Like the "back-up QB is best player on the team" dream in football.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2020, 01:27:38 PM »
Rothstein: DePaul's Dave Leitao has received a contract extension through the 2023-24 season, per release.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2020, 01:47:45 PM »
Rothstein: DePaul's Dave Leitao has received a contract extension through the 2023-24 season, per release.

DePaul, like many schools, simply was not going to make a big coaching change during a global pandemic.  It's no coincidence that Leitao's extension last four years; it's the same MU continues to make.  It allows the coaching staff to assure, on the surface, that they will be here all four years to prospective recruits. 

The more telling aspect would be what the buyout figures are, if any.  It's not like Leitao had much leverage (no major, high-major program was going to give him a head coaching job, and not many jobs are even open at this point anyway). 

Regardless, until JLP is sent far away from DePaul, their men's basketball program isn't improving.  It is still shameful that we managed to lose that game to them on 3/3.  DePaul should be an easy two wins every year; the fact we continue to lose to them is a huge hurdle we need to overcome. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2020, 04:24:52 PM »

Finally getting NCAA sanctions proved to DePaul that Leitao really cared about winning.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2020, 04:26:15 PM »

This is called a Stan stan.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2020, 11:04:51 PM »
Interesting doings in Texas.

Women's coach Karen Aston was fired despite having a sterling record at the school. Her team was about to make the NCAA tournament for the 7th straight season. In 4 of those in a row (2015-18), they went S16, E8, S16, S16. Starting with her second season there, they never finished worse than 9-9 in the B12, and never finished worse than 3rd. They had three straight seasons of 15-3 in which they finished 2nd, most recently just two years ago. Career record was 184-83 (.689) overall and 93-51 (.646) in the conference.

Meanwhile, Shaka Smart just wrapped up his 5th season at the school with a career record at Texas of 90-78 (.536) overall and 40-50 (.444) in the conference. After making it to the NCAAs his first year with a team filled with his predecessor's players, he was about to miss it for the 3rd time in 4 years, without a winning conference record in any of those seasons. He has yet to win an NCAA tourney game in 5 years at Texas despite arriving as the most-hyped candidate available. Attendance has been poor.

Smart's team actually came back from the dead late this past season, winning 5 straight games to get on the bubble. But then they finished the regular season with an inexplicable 22-point home loss to another bubble team, Oklahoma.

The Texas AD said last week that he was sticking with Smart, who has 3 years and $10.5 million left on his contract. However, the AD acknowledged “angst around our basketball program," and didn't seem ready to extend Smart's contract. Texas insiders speculated that if they fired Smart, the replacement coach likely would have to be paid at least $1 million to $2 million more annually.

Aston's $800K per year contract was allowed to expire.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2020, 11:18:11 PM »
This is the dilemma around wojo...

Like Shaka.. do you pay more for a proven peer?

Do you get a good outside assistant  and lose the recruits...

Or continue to roll the dice with wojo...

Status quo is easiest especially if reason for optimism

muguru

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2020, 12:29:29 AM »
Interesting doings in Texas.

Women's coach Karen Aston was fired despite having a sterling record at the school. Her team was about to make the NCAA tournament for the 7th straight season. In 4 of those in a row (2015-18), they went S16, E8, S16, S16. Starting with her second season there, they never finished worse than 9-9 in the B12, and never finished worse than 3rd. They had three straight seasons of 15-3 in which they finished 2nd, most recently just two years ago. Career record was 184-83 (.689) overall and 93-51 (.646) in the conference.

Meanwhile, Shaka Smart just wrapped up his 5th season at the school with a career record at Texas of 90-78 (.536) overall and 40-50 (.444) in the conference. After making it to the NCAAs his first year with a team filled with his predecessor's players, he was about to miss it for the 3rd time in 4 years, without a winning conference record in any of those seasons. He has yet to win an NCAA tourney game in 5 years at Texas despite arriving as the most-hyped candidate available. Attendance has been poor.

Smart's team actually came back from the dead late this past season, winning 5 straight games to get on the bubble. But then they finished the regular season with an inexplicable 22-point home loss to another bubble team, Oklahoma.

The Texas AD said last week that he was sticking with Smart, who has 3 years and $10.5 million left on his contract. However, the AD acknowledged “angst around our basketball program," and didn't seem ready to extend Smart's contract. Texas insiders speculated that if they fired Smart, the replacement coach likely would have to be paid at least $1 million to $2 million more annually.

Aston's $800K per year contract was allowed to expire.

I'm glad you brought this here MU82, I saw this the other night..Yes, it's women's basketball, but the first thing I thought of was hoping TAMU would see this because he always says "no school fires a Coach coming off an NCAA bid etc"(let alone one with her resume)..well...they do.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:34:26 AM by muguru »