[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East POY  (Read 8978 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Big East POY
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2020, 09:23:06 PM »
Yep, unfortunate. Seton Hall is really playing well. Will be interesting to see what happens Thursday. I feel like Markus would have to lead MU to the big east tournament title to win POY at this point.

The award is announced before the tournament...

And this doesn’t reflect well on the coaches honestly.  Do they not watch the film where Powell is horrifically inefficient and marginally effective against them?

In his last 10 games, he only led the team in scoring 5 times, but led them in TOs 6 times. And Mr “Makes the Plays to Win” only led the team I assists in one of those 5 games he did take the scoring lead. I think he had 5 and McKnight had 4 in that game.

In the long history of the BE, this will be one of the biggest jokes of a POY by a large margin. Some BS career achievement award decided before the season ever got going. Once SH started strong, the story was written.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2020, 10:16:34 PM »
Right or wrong, agree or disagree, the label of Markus being a player who doesn’t make anyone around him better really stuck down the stretch this season. It was a frequent narrative every time his name was discussed.
Maybe, but I think it is much more a case of him being on an 8-10 team.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2020, 12:03:06 AM »
Maybe, but I think it is much more a case of him being on an 8-10 team.

Sure. Don't give it to Markus then. Give it to Bey or Alexander. Both are more deserving than Powell.

And yes I know this means Powell is going to torch us again on Thursday.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2020, 07:21:28 AM »
From bustingbrackets.com:
G Markus Howard, Marquette
Stats: 27.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.3 apg, 42/41/85 percent shooting
Howard’s scuffling teammates may cheat him out of his second consecutive Big East Player of the Year award, but he is a no-doubt unanimous first-team selection. He is pacing the league with some staggering metrics:

27.7 ppg (first, Powell is second at 21.3)
37.9 percent usage rate (first, Powell is second at 33.6)
10.2 box plus/minus (first, Reed second at 8.7)
6.9 PORPAGATU! (first, Bey second at 5.1)
115 three-point makes (first, Bey second at 76)
112.4 offensive rating (fifth, min. 18 percent usage rate)
58.8 percent true shooting (sixth, min. 18 percent usage rate)
26.4 assist rate (sixth)
Howard has bettered his 2018-19 performance when he took home the conference POY, while his chief competitor Powell has been worse. But similarly to the Oklahoma collapse in 2017-18 that prevented Trae Young from winning Big 12 Player of the Year even though his numbers (27 & 9 on 42 percent shooting) were far superior to Devonte’ Graham’s (17 & 7 on 40 percent shooting), Howard may have to settle for a first-team honor. As always, one lesson remains: don’t lose to DePaul.

G Myles Powell, Seton Hall
Stats: 21.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.8 apg, 40/31/80 percent shooting
Powell’s numbers are down across the board after his breakout junior campaign, which can be partially attributed to his injury woes throughout the season. However, as the headliner on the conference’s first-place squad, he is a surefire selection to the all-Big East first-team and the possible POY beneficiary of Marquette’s late-season implosion, no matter how unseemly that 39/26/81 percent shooting line in conference play may look on the stat sheet (among the 24 Big East players to post at least a 30 percent usage rate since 2009-10, Powell ranks just 18th in offensive rating).

Powell still deserves plenty of credit for the legacy he has built-in South Orange. When Desi Rodriguez, Angel Delgado, and Khadeen Carrington graduated in 2018, Seton Hall said goodbye to the core of one of the program’s finest classes in school history. For Powell to pick up that mantle, push the Pirates into the national spotlight, and potentially cap his senior season with a Big East title, a protected NCAA tournament seed, and a conference POY trophy is quite the accomplishment for the Trenton native.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2020, 07:35:44 AM »

Sure. Don't give it to Markus then. Give it to Bey or Alexander. Both are more deserving than Powell.

And yes I know this means Powell is going to torch us again on Thursday.

Agree with this.  Personally, Alexander for me.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2020, 09:16:48 AM »
Yep, unfortunate. Seton Hall is really playing well. Will be interesting to see what happens Thursday. I feel like Markus would have to lead MU to the big east tournament title to win POY at this point.

This suggests you don't watch Big East basketball games.

Hall is 5-5 in their last 10 games. They blew two chances, one at home, to win an outright Championship. That is not "playing well".

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2020, 11:43:33 AM »
This suggests you don't watch Big East basketball games.

Hall is 5-5 in their last 10 games. They blew two chances, one at home, to win an outright Championship. That is not "playing well".

Yeah I don't really have the time to watch BE games. Fair. But they're certainly playing much better overall than MU. My point was it's not a good look for Markus compared to Powell with current conference standings.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2020, 03:26:39 PM »
Powell won. No surprise. Still ridiculous.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »
Historically bad.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2020, 03:36:57 PM »
Would love to see who voted for whom

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2020, 04:50:45 PM »
This is a traveshamockery.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2020, 04:59:20 PM »

I was attacked weeks ago when I said Powell was a lock. So, this is no surprise. It shouldn't be a surprise to any MU fan.

Is Markus a better player? Probably. He certainly is a better scorer. But a POY is never gonna come from a 2nd division team that choked down the stretch.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2020, 05:07:23 PM »
As Ignatius J. Reilly would say, “Oh, my God.”  There’s been a lot of talk about “knowing ball” on here lately, and if you think Derrick is “exactly” what any team needs, you simply do not know ball.  In all my years of watching basketball, Derrick was the worst high major starting guard I’ve ever seen.  Definitely the worst for Marquette, and it’s not even close.  I’m sure he’s a great guy and this is going to sound incredibly mean, but he was a waste of space on the court.  Whatever the stats that you list say about him, they don’t tell the whole story.  They don’t even give the prologue.

Koby is worse
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2020, 07:58:56 PM »
I think u are an idiot

Interesting when you disagree with someone you start with personal attacks.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2020, 11:10:15 PM »
Didn’t realize that Myles Powell was Donnie Marshals nephew.  It helps to explain his stance on FS1 broadcasts regarding Markus.  He was against Markus the whole way, even when we were doing well. I thought it was strange how he never thought Markus made his teammates better. I actually started to buy into how consistent he was in his opinion throughout the season. Now I know it was all bull crap. Screw that guy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 11:14:02 PM by Shooter McGavin »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2020, 11:12:08 PM »
Didn’t realize that Myles Powell was Donnie Marshals nephew.  It helps to explains his stance on FS1 broadcasts regarding Markus.  He was against Markus the whole way, even when we were doing well. I thought it was strange how he never thought Markus made his teammates better. I actually started to buy into how consistent he was in his opinion throughout the season. Now I know it was all bull crap. Screw that guy.

Yeah, not too objective. Would assume he is done as an analyst.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2020, 11:15:29 PM »
Don’t know if you are serious but would not bank on him leaving with UCONN starting next year.

feedback