[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Lay Off The Boos  (Read 21580 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Lay Off The Boos
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2020, 08:51:18 PM »
Wojo isn't bulletproof. But he is bulletproof as long as he continues to make the tournament. Just as any coach at any non-blue blood program would be.

Why anyone thinks a program would even think about firing a coach of a tournament bound team is beyond me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2020, 08:56:54 PM »
Wojo isn't bulletproof. But he is bulletproof as long as he continues to make the tournament. Just as any coach at any non-blue blood program would be.

Why anyone thinks a program would even think about firing a coach of a tournament bound team is beyond me.

Marquette won a title in 1977
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2020, 09:36:24 PM »

Name this Coach...I Coached at this school for 13 years, compiling an overall record of 278-151(.653) overall, going to 8 NCAA tournaments, winning three league titles, 3 NIT appearances, made a Final four and a sweet 16 during my tenure. Now I did only make the tournament 1 time in my last four years at this school, not making a tournament at all my last two years, before getting fired. It should be noted that in my first 6 years at this school, I made the NCAA's 4 of 6 years(NIT the other two) with a Sweet 16 in my 2nd year, and followed that up with a final four in just my third year at the school.

Typically a Coach with that kind of pedigree can write his own length of time at said school. I could not unfortunately...

Who am I??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2020, 09:51:08 PM »
It's been said that the bronze medal winners tend to be happier than the silver medal winners. The bronze winners are all "Awesome! I won a medal!" while the silver winners think, "Dammit! I could have gotten gold!"

I think that also is influenced by many of the sports having a third-place playoff for bronze, so you actually "win" the bronze medal, whereas you have to lose the title game to be awarded the silver.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2020, 11:03:22 PM »
Name this Coach...I Coached at this school for 13 years, compiling an overall record of 278-151(.653) overall, going to 8 NCAA tournaments, winning three league titles, 3 NIT appearances, made a Final four and a sweet 16 during my tenure. Now I did only make the tournament 1 time in my last four years at this school, not making a tournament at all my last two years, before getting fired. It should be noted that in my first 6 years at this school, I made the NCAA's 4 of 6 years(NIT the other two) with a Sweet 16 in my 2nd year, and followed that up with a final four in just my third year at the school.

Typically a Coach with that kind of pedigree can write his own length of time at said school. I could not unfortunately...

Who am I??
JTIII...who finished his last 2 seasons 15-18 (7-11, 8th in BE) and 14-18 (5-13, 9th in BE). And didn't make a postseason tournament either year. What does this have to do with TAMU's point?

But playing guess the random coach would probably be more enjoyable than reading some of the stupidity on here. So good job I guess?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2020, 11:15:52 PM »

Who am I??

You are JT3....who missed the tournament two seasons in a row before being fired.

Did you miss the part about firing a coach of a tournament bound team? Cause that was the whole point of my post.

I can actually think of one modern example of a coach from a non-blue blood getting fired after making the tournament with no off the court issues (IIRC). But it was from a fanbase way more entitled and arrogant than our own, and the coach did take a team that was ranked top 10 in the preseason and finished with one of the last two byes in tournament in his last season.....and that fanbase now greatly regrets the hiring decision they made after him....and the fired coach had some pretty successful seasons at his next stop to boot.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2020, 11:18:01 PM »
But playing guess the random coach would probably be more enjoyable than reading some of the stupidity on here. So good job I guess?

I actually had some fun figuring out who it was. Took me a couple of guesses....mainly because I was looking for coaches that got fired immediately after making the tournament
TAMU

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 29, 2020, 12:15:23 AM »
You are JT3....who missed the tournament two seasons in a row before being fired.

Did you miss the part about firing a coach of a tournament bound team? Cause that was the whole point of my post.

I can actually think of one modern example of a coach from a non-blue blood getting fired after making the tournament with no off the court issues (IIRC). But it was from a fanbase way more entitled and arrogant than our own, and the coach did take a team that was ranked top 10 in the preseason and finished with one of the last two byes in tournament in his last season.....and that fanbase now greatly regrets the hiring decision they made after him....and the fired coach had some pretty successful seasons at his next stop to boot.

Rick Barnes. Made the tournament in 16 of the 17 seasons he was there and they canned him because they were getting sick of the early exits in the tournament. They had a very limited basketball history before him too. Be careful what you wish for.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 29, 2020, 12:26:56 AM »
Rick Barnes. Made the tournament in 16 of the 17 seasons he was there and they canned him because they were getting sick of the early exits in the tournament. They had a very limited basketball history before him too. Be careful what you wish for.

That's who I thought it was as well

MU82

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 29, 2020, 08:11:29 AM »

Who am I??

I am a Scooper who responds to this Why anyone thinks a program would even think about firing a coach of a tournament bound team is beyond me. by bringing up a coach whose situation wasn't even close to this.

I am famous for being the most "competitive" Scooper, for seeing things other Scoopers miss, and for forgetting more about basketball than other Scoopers know.

Who am I?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #135 on: February 29, 2020, 09:11:58 AM »
I am a Scooper who responds to this Why anyone thinks a program would even think about firing a coach of a tournament bound team is beyond me. by bringing up a coach whose situation wasn't even close to this.

I am famous for being the most "competitive" Scooper, for seeing things other Scoopers miss, and for forgetting more about basketball than other Scoopers know.

Who am I?

The Panty Dropper

Death on call

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 29, 2020, 10:18:53 AM »

Who am I?

But can you dunk?