[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lay Off The Boos  (Read 21872 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Lay Off The Boos
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2020, 12:14:33 PM »
This isn’t really accurate. For the 2-3 anti Wojo obnoxious posters, there are 2-3 insufferable pro Wojo posters.

I don't disagree that there are insufferable pro Wojo posters. Only that from what I've seen the anti wojo ones are going to use hyperbole and ignore trends.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2020, 12:21:00 PM »
I like booing Floppy McNutpuncher most of all.

Another male genitalia reference? Hoo's offended, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2020, 12:28:13 PM »
If you're going to be reactionary, maybe read what youre reacting to first.
I understand that you prefaced that these were exclusively your expectations.  But you're not alone amongst Projos.  Another toxic symptom of Projos is consistently setting low enough expectations so that he can just barely meet them every year while adding another nothingburger to the legacy of this great basketball school.

By the way, I haven't done any research on this, but do you have anywhere where you quote your exact expectations for the team this season?  I know I do, somewhere deeper in my post history, and we are not on trajectory to meet them.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2020, 12:30:27 PM »
On the cusp of what?  We are mathematically eliminated from Big East regular season contention, need to go undefeated for Big East Top 3, need to go further undefeated after that to make a run at the Big East Tourney Title, and we need to potentially beat a 1, 2, or 3 seed to make it to a Sweet Sixteen (after, oh by the way, beating a team close to our line on the s-curve).

What are we on the cusp of again?  More "Wojo success" that's actually nothing tangible?

"If you ain't first you're last"
Maigh Eo for Sam

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »
Well more like, Top 3 in the Conference, Top 16 or 32 in the country.... So not exactly.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2020, 12:35:34 PM »
Well more like, Top 3 in the Conference, Top 16 or 32 in the country.... So not exactly.

Is that last 32 or top 32? There's a pretty massive difference as upsets happen frequently and currently the main metric has us top 32 but the other hasn't happened yet.
Maigh Eo for Sam

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2020, 12:39:00 PM »
Is that last 32 or top 32? There's a pretty massive difference as upsets happen frequently and currently the main metric has us top 32 but the other hasn't happened yet.
Top 32 with no first round choke-job.  Better?

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2020, 12:40:53 PM »
On the cusp of what?  We are mathematically eliminated from Big East regular season contention, need to go undefeated for Big East Top 3, need to go further undefeated after that to make a run at the Big East Tourney Title, and we need to potentially beat a 1, 2, or 3 seed to make it to a Sweet Sixteen (after, oh by the way, beating a team close to our line on the s-curve).

What are we on the cusp of again?  More "Wojo success" that's actually nothing tangible?

I guess it all comes down to what you define as success.  Most said at the beginning of the season that they wanted success in March.  So, success is an NCAA birth and making it past the first game.

Or, we can always aspire to be DePaul......

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2020, 12:44:41 PM »
Top 32 with no first round choke-job.  Better?

Yeah that's great. Not worth getting worked up about that potential till the matchup is released now that we're pretty much a lock though. More worth it being stressed about the potential seeding from the remaining games rather than acting as though it's predetermined we'll get bounced. But that's just my opinion.
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2020, 12:45:05 PM »
Chili,

Need to get you up to Bristol Bay / Kvichak River for the Sockeye run in Jun/Jul.

Just an amazing fishing experience. Only the sockeye are sharper than some Scoopers.

Might have to do some supply chain recon up there.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2020, 12:57:24 PM »
Might have to do some supply chain recon up there.

Roger recce flight.

Everyone wants to go after chinooks but I think the best eating are the sockeyes. Beautiful fish.

Having said which, I have had 45-50 lb chinooks make three long runs on me. Magnificent fighting fish.   

Death on call

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2020, 12:59:12 PM »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2020, 01:04:18 PM »

"What? Well that's just stupid. Hell, there's second, third, and even fourth."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2020, 01:22:03 PM »

Another male genitalia reference? Hoo's offended, hey?

It is hateful, eh?

By the way, I was listening to Dire Straits earlier. Tunnel of Love is such a classic song. Catchy tune, really.

Death on call

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2020, 01:57:27 PM »
I understand that you prefaced that these were exclusively your expectations.  But you're not alone amongst Projos.  Another toxic symptom of Projos is consistently setting low enough expectations so that he can just barely meet them every year while adding another nothingburger to the legacy of this great basketball school.

By the way, I haven't done any research on this, but do you have anywhere where you quote your exact expectations for the team this season?  I know I do, somewhere deeper in my post history, and we are not on trajectory to meet them.

Just a preface: Not really a Projo. Just don't get a lot of the strong disdain for him. I think he could do better with certain on-court coaching, but has shown progress. I am happy he runs a clean program. He seems to genuinely care about his players. And I think that he and the staff do a great job of identifying big talent early and getting those kids to commit to Marquette. I generally think he is trending in the right direction. If that lumps me in with the Projos, I guess I am--just don't confuse it with giving him carte blanche.

I have stated that 10-8 in the Big East was my expectation for a successful year. From a pragmatism perspective, I expected there to be a lot of needed growth on the team to fill the Hauser scoring gap and there might be non-con struggles, but 10-8 would be required for a tourney berth and that the team should gel by that point. I also expected 1 win in the tournament for this to be "progress." I had that as a poll response, and I believe I posted that in the threads post-SPASHEXIT. And to be honest, I thought there was a chance they'd lack identity and be terrible this year as a result of the exits. Although the year is yet to conclude, those projections are attainable. I don't believe that was a "low expectation" given the loss of two major pieces for the team, but our opinions may vary on that.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2020, 02:47:53 PM »
Is some of the frustration that his seat is considered ice cold? That the administration sees the results and are satisfied with what we’ve gotten so far.

I’ve seen a number of comments on here that say “complain all you want, but the administration is thrilled with Wojo.” I don’t know that the students are tied in enough to make that connection, but it is a source of frustration for me.

As a so-sojoer, I’d at least like to know the administration is at least asking some questions.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »
Just a preface: Not really a Projo. Just don't get a lot of the strong disdain for him. I think he could do better with certain on-court coaching, but has shown progress. I am happy he runs a clean program. He seems to genuinely care about his players. And I think that he and the staff do a great job of identifying big talent early and getting those kids to commit to Marquette. I generally think he is trending in the right direction. If that lumps me in with the Projos, I guess I am--just don't confuse it with giving him carte blanche.

I have stated that 10-8 in the Big East was my expectation for a successful year. From a pragmatism perspective, I expected there to be a lot of needed growth on the team to fill the Hauser scoring gap and there might be non-con struggles, but 10-8 would be required for a tourney berth and that the team should gel by that point. I also expected 1 win in the tournament for this to be "progress." I had that as a poll response, and I believe I posted that in the threads post-SPASHEXIT. And to be honest, I thought there was a chance they'd lack identity and be terrible this year as a result of the exits. Although the year is yet to conclude, those projections are attainable. I don't believe that was a "low expectation" given the loss of two major pieces for the team, but our opinions may vary on that.
Based on your post history recently, you're one of the most Projo posters on the board.

Another toxic Projo symptom:  "given the loss of two major pieces", "given that we don't have a ball handling guard on the roster", "given that our guards are under 6ft", "given that we don't have a big man", "given that.."

This is Wojo's roster.  Next year I don't want to hear "given that we have 3 freshmen"...

Maybe Wojo could have earned that excuse with success between Year 1 and Year 6.  But he hasn't.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2020, 03:10:43 PM »
Based on your post history recently, you're one of the most Projo posters on the board.

Another toxic Projo symptom:  "given the loss of two major pieces", "given that we don't have a ball handling guard on the roster", "given that our guards are under 6ft", "given that we don't have a big man", "given that.."

This is Wojo's roster.  Next year I don't want to hear "given that we have 3 freshmen"...

Maybe Wojo could have earned that excuse with success between Year 1 and Year 6.  But he hasn't.

You must be a lot of fun at parties.  You really like comporting your own conclusions as truth and attacking if people have a differing opinon. I've tried to be patient and actually engage in a conversation to see if there was common ground, but it's clear you have no interest on that.  You asked for why I made the projection I did at the beginning of the year. When I replied, you call what I say "toxic Projoism."

I'm done listening to your drivel. I hope for your sake and the sake of those around you that in the future you stop living in absolutes.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2020, 03:13:44 PM »
You must be a lot of fun at parties.  You really like comporting your own conclusions as truth and attacking if people have a differing opinon. I've tried to be patient and actually engage in a conversation to see if there was common ground, but it's clear you have no interest on that.  You asked for why I made the projection I did at the beginning of the year. When I replied, you call what I say "toxic Projoism."

I'm done listening to your drivel. I hope for your sake and the sake of those around you that in the future you stop living in absolutes.

"Only a sith deals in absolutes"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2020, 05:22:34 PM »

This reminds me of two other quotes about winning, both of which I have issues with.

The first: "Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing." It's widely attributed to Vince Lombardi, but actually comes from UCLA football coach Red Sanders in 1950. While Lombardi used it later, he said he was widely misquoted -- meaning to say "Winning isn't everything. The will to win is the only thing." Big difference.

The second: "You don't win silver, you lose gold." Nike introduced this slogan during the Atlanta Olympics in 1996 — offending hundreds of American athletes (including many that Nike sponsored) who proudly earned bronze and silver medals while representing their country in international competition.

I think Lombardi had it right. Everyone should want to win. And success at the highest level should be recognized. But just because only one program can take home a national championship, it doesn't mean that all the dedication and hard work of the other 352 Division I schools is meaningless.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
This reminds me of two other quotes about winning, both of which I have issues with.

The first: "Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing." It's widely attributed to Vince Lombardi, but actually comes from UCLA football coach Red Sanders in 1950. While Lombardi used it later, he said he was widely misquoted -- meaning to say "Winning isn't everything. The will to win is the only thing." Big difference.

The second: "You don't win silver, you lose gold." Nike introduced this slogan during the Atlanta Olympics in 1996 — offending hundreds of American athletes (including many that Nike sponsored) who proudly earned bronze and silver medals while representing their country in international competition.

I think Lombardi had it right. Everyone should want to win. And success at the highest level should be recognized. But just because only one program can take home a national championship, it doesn't mean that all the dedication and hard work of the other 352 Division I schools is meaningless.

It's been said that the bronze medal winners tend to be happier than the silver medal winners. The bronze winners are all "Awesome! I won a medal!" while the silver winners think, "Dammit! I could have gotten gold!"
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2020, 06:44:31 PM »
Anybody else find it funny and ironic that a guy who wanted to trade places with DePaul is crying about ProJos having too low of expectations for MU basketball?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2020, 06:50:29 PM »
Anybody else find it funny and ironic that a guy who wanted to trade places with DePaul is crying about ProJos having too low of expectations for MU basketball?
Hes an idiot not worth taking seriously so

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2020, 08:01:31 PM »
Is some of the frustration that his seat is considered ice cold? That the administration sees the results and are satisfied with what we’ve gotten so far.

I’ve seen a number of comments on here that say “complain all you want, but the administration is thrilled with Wojo.” I don’t know that the students are tied in enough to make that connection, but it is a source of frustration for me.

As a so-sojoer, I’d at least like to know the administration is at least asking some questions.

+1
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muguru

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2020, 08:23:24 PM »
+1

Also +1...My problem isn't necessarily Wojo, persay...it's more so that he seems bullet proof from this current administration barring something scandalous. I've said it before, It's my feeling that this admin doesn't care nearly as much about on court results as the Father Wild-Cords admin did.

Speaking of which, I'd be really curious to know how Cords would view Wojo if he were still the AD?? Something tells me that even though he may not get fired, with Cords his seat would have at least been warm after last year's collapse.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.