Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Lay Off The Boos  (Read 21569 times)

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
Re: Lay Off The Boos
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2020, 12:52:49 PM »
There was a LOT of booing last night.  The fact is the typical fan is not very happy at this point. 

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 12:56:32 PM »
There was a LOT of booing last night.  The fact is the typical fan is not very happy at this point.

Look at how booing at the previous games inspired the team to a better performance last night!!!  Genius!!! Because they certainly weren't trying before the booing started..... ::)

TFlegend

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 01:03:24 PM »
The booing is stupid.  It only hurts the program with recruiting and retention. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 01:10:37 PM »
I'm in 104 and for the first time since the whole people are booing wojo thing started, I could actually hear it during the intros last night.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2020, 01:11:11 PM »
Boos can affect different people differently.
Some people go so far as to give up boos completely.

I can't imagine that, but, hey, to each their own.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2020, 01:15:57 PM »
I was just curious as I don’t hear about it all. Maybe more of a case of Crean/Buzz just letting everyone know they were doing it.

Buzz let students flush for him
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2020, 01:22:12 PM »
F*ck them kids - Michael Jordan

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2020, 01:33:51 PM »
This plea is falling on deaf ears.  The vast majority of Marquette fans, probably *at least* 95%, don’t read Scoop.  It seems as though almost no current students are on here.  So what’s the point of writing this post, other than to get up on your own moral high horse or think that you’re an important part of the narrative of MU basketball or something?  Guess what?  You’re not.  Nobody on here is.  We can talk about Karim Mane and unicorns and crapshoots and “bullshat, bullshat, bullshat” till we’re all blue in the face, and 99.9% of Marquette fans won’t know or care what we’re saying.  What’s said on here doesn’t matter and has no impact on Marquette basketball.  By making some empty plea for the students not to boo, you’re not helping Wojo land a recruit.

Would I boo Wojo at a game?  No, because I’ve never booed my team at any sporting event.  But if the guy next to me wants to boo, I’m not going to stop him or call him a moron or try to act like I’m better.  He paid for his ticket, and as long as he’s not saying or doing anything actually hateful or harmful to players or others around him, he’s free to do what he likes.

Finally, Wojo’s in year 6 with zero NCAA Tournament wins, no conference championships, and his team has only been ranked for a couple weeks in that entire span.  He wasn’t just going to get a free pass from the fan base forever and ever.  If he wins a Tournament game this year, it’ll shut a lot of people up.  And if he leaves after that tourney win, it won’t be because of the boos.  He’ll leave because it’s more money or to get back in the ACC or to be closer to where he’s originally from.  Crean and Buzz never got booed and they still left.

It doesn’t matter.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2020, 01:37:31 PM »
This plea is falling on deaf ears.  The vast majority of Marquette fans, probably *at least* 95%, don’t read Scoop.  It seems as though almost no current students are on here.  So what’s the point of writing this post, other than to get up on your own moral high horse or think that you’re an important part of the narrative of MU basketball or something?  Guess what?  You’re not.  Nobody on here is.  We can talk about Karim Mane and unicorns and crapshoots and “bullshat, bullshat, bullshat” till we’re all blue in the face, and 99.9% of Marquette fans won’t know or care what we’re saying.  What’s said on here doesn’t matter and has no impact on Marquette basketball.  By making some empty plea for the students not to boo, you’re not helping Wojo land a recruit.

Would I boo Wojo at a game?  No, because I’ve never booed my team at any sporting event.  But if the guy next to me wants to boo, I’m not going to stop him or call him a moron or try to act like I’m better.  He paid for his ticket, and as long as he’s not saying or doing anything actually hateful or harmful to players or others around him, he’s free to do what he likes.

Finally, Wojo’s in year 6 with zero NCAA Tournament wins, no conference championships, and his team has only been ranked for a couple weeks in that entire span.  He wasn’t just going to get a free pass from the fan base forever and ever.  If he wins a Tournament game this year, it’ll shut a lot of people up.  And if he leaves after that tourney win, it won’t be because of the boos.  He’ll leave because it’s more money or to get back in the ACC or to be closer to where he’s originally from.  Crean and Buzz never got booed and they still left.

It doesn’t matter.

You sound very important.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2020, 01:38:27 PM »

Finally, Wojo’s in year 6 with zero NCAA Tournament wins, no conference championships, and his team has only been ranked for a couple weeks in that entire span.  He wasn’t just going to get a free pass from the fan base forever and ever. If he wins a Tournament game this year, it’ll shut a lot of people up.  And if he leaves after that tourney win, it won’t be because of the boos.  He’ll leave because it’s more money or to get back in the ACC or to be closer to where he’s originally from.  Crean and Buzz never got booed and they still left.

It doesn’t matter.

I highly doubt anything short of a literal, biblical, miracle would earn Wojo a reprieve from the people who hate him. They enjoy being pissed and having a scape goat much more than they enjoy good basketball.

and... very existential. <takes massive bong rip and embraces role of That Guy who's way to into his philosophy minor> We're all stardust? Why do anything, man?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2020, 01:40:54 PM »

It doesn’t matter.

The staff is trying their best to get great players to Marquette. We're succeeding at hosting a ton of 5 star prospects. Booing the coaches during the visit could directly impact their ability to be successful.

Maybe posting here won't do much or anything at all. Maybe it will. The post is harmless.

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2020, 01:41:14 PM »

It doesn’t matter.
TIL 17 is "a couple".

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2020, 01:44:47 PM »
Its not booing, its woooojjjjjjjj.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2020, 02:07:32 PM »
This plea is falling on deaf ears.  The vast majority of Marquette fans, probably *at least* 95%, don%u2019t read Scoop.  It seems as though almost no current students are on here.  So what%u2019s the point of writing this post, other than to get up on your own moral high horse or think that you%u2019re an important part of the narrative of MU basketball or something?  Guess what?  You%u2019re not.  Nobody on here is.  We can talk about Karim Mane and unicorns and crapshoots and %u201Cbullshat, bullshat, bullshat%u201D till we%u2019re all blue in the face, and 99.9% of Marquette fans won%u2019t know or care what we%u2019re saying.  What%u2019s said on here doesn%u2019t matter and has no impact on Marquette basketball.  By making some empty plea for the students not to boo, you%u2019re not helping Wojo land a recruit.

Would I boo Wojo at a game?  No, because I%u2019ve never booed my team at any sporting event.  But if the guy next to me wants to boo, I%u2019m not going to stop him or call him a moron or try to act like I%u2019m better.  He paid for his ticket, and as long as he%u2019s not saying or doing anything actually hateful or harmful to players or others around him, he%u2019s free to do what he likes.

Finally, Wojo%u2019s in year 6 with zero NCAA Tournament wins, no conference championships, and his team has only been ranked for a couple weeks in that entire span.  He wasn%u2019t just going to get a free pass from the fan base forever and ever.  If he wins a Tournament game this year, it%u2019ll shut a lot of people up.  And if he leaves after that tourney win, it won%u2019t be because of the boos.  He%u2019ll leave because it%u2019s more money or to get back in the ACC or to be closer to where he%u2019s originally from.  Crean and Buzz never got booed and they still left.

It doesn%u2019t matter.

I can tell you I have no interest in being on a moral high horse nor being part of a narrative.  If so I wouldn%u2019t be posting behind a screen name - I clearly don%u2019t need the rooster to become an icon. 

My view is that some of the most agitated fans are also the most passionate fans, whether I agree with them or not.  The most passionate fans generally find a place for info and discussion, leading them to message boards.  Hence, the best place to advocate against booing is on a message board.  Scoop seems to be the board with the most traffic and the best chance of student involvement. I haven%u2019t thrown insults at anyone or even said much on my views of Wojo.  I have just given a logical rationale for not booing.  It only impacts one additional game, but I think it%u2019s important given recruiting efforts and the potential for a surprising March. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:42:10 PM by 21rooster »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2020, 02:33:03 PM »

It doesn’t matter.

Absolutely agree.  Hopefully the other 95% can cheer as wildly as possibly for Wojo n drown it out.  My experience is the 95% are indifferent or taking a drink of beer or talking when Wojo is announced while the dumbasses are poised and ready to pounce on their “big moment”.  I know i will cheer my loudest Saturday for Wojo and then again when they do the Senior day announcements for our 3 seniors hope orhers will do the same
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2020, 02:41:09 PM »
I've been hearing booing from the student section since the Villanova game.  I doubt anyone that would boo at a game would be on this board, or care even slightly what we think.  Unfortunately, until Wojo achieves any success beyond what is expected, he'll just be a scapegoat for those that aspire to higher levels for #MUBB.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2020, 02:45:02 PM »
The boos finally showing up shows the general frustration building in the fan base.  A coach college or pro making millions is not immune to boos when the performance justifies them.   

He’s mike dean with less passion on the court that would have been gone already if not for coach K’s coattails that hes been riding.
Gotta be a troll. You dont boo a team one win off being ranked and a likely 5 or 6 seed you blithering idiot. Doesnt even make sense. How can u not even support them until the year is over. What is this

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2020, 03:08:15 PM »
The only booing in the building should be at refs and opposing players shooting free throws.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2020, 03:55:36 PM »
There's a couple of rules about booing that one must keep in mind:

1) On senior day, you come out and show pride for the guys who made it through four years. Markus and Sacar in particular should have a special place in the program. Sacar has over-achieved this year and Markus has in many ways put us on the map of visibility. They deserve our respect and, heck, they've earned it.

2) It's OK to boo inconsistency and sloppiness. I myself have been known to yell words of discouragement at poor form (as in, ahh, c'mon Theo, just shoot the damn ball. No dribbling!" or "What the hell, run the offense and stop chucking!") But we have to keep in mind these are 17-22 year old college students and they are, after all, young college students. They're going to make mistakes.

3) Tasteful booing of our opponent is acceptable and encouraged. They are, of course, our adversaries. If they don't expect it, well, I have news..... That said, Jay Wright is a class act. Greg McDermott is a great coach, and Patrick Ewing probably will be a great one.

4) Booing officials is like buying a lottery ticket. It makes you feel good but the chances if it having any effect are so small as to be not measurable. It doesn't mean you don't do it, but you're not going to change anything. If they're incompetent without fan disapproval, then what makes you think loud fan disapproval is going to do anything other than make them more steadfast?

5) There is a special place in hell for anyone who gives aid and comfort to a Badger. I hear that special place is exceptionally warm. You boo the hell out of Badgers.

6) As much as I loathe inconsistency in here, I like Wojo and I want to see him do well. I do hope it's here and that he ultimately becomes the longest tenured and most successful Marquette coach in history.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:24:33 PM by dgies9156 »

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2020, 04:11:02 PM »
Its not booing, its woooojjjjjjjj.

They aren't booing, they're saying "scooooooooooop"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2020, 04:11:46 PM »
7)  Boo the opposing players when they play dirty and things get chippy.  I expect to boo Myles Powell at some point on Saturday.  Please join me.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »
7)  Boo the opposing players when they play dirty and things get chippy.  I expect to boo Myles Powell at some point on Saturday.  Please join me.

Good point, Mane!  Pirates are in town, so save the boos for them! 

Like your post, dgies!

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2020, 07:05:04 PM »
I thought it was clever how our PA announcer introduced Markus to cheers and without taking a breath quickly introduced Wojo and then just as quickly moved on to something else. Left a very brief window for Wojo booing. There were boos (seemed to come from Section 113 from my seat) but there was significantly more applause even if it was leftover Markus applause.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2020, 07:08:54 PM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2020, 08:19:28 PM »
Greg McDermott is a scumbag and should be booed constantly.

feedback