[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo Presser  (Read 11559 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Wojo Presser
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2020, 04:40:26 PM »
I'd need to rewatch to be sure, but I was pretty happy with the press break last night. There were a few bad turnovers but I think at least twice that many wide open shots

I think my new approach with this team is it might not be pretty or conventional, but it gets the job done. The offense doesn’t look efficient, but it’s one of the top offenses in the country.

To me on the press break, it seemed like we allowed ourselves to get trapped and broke it up the sidelines with long passes. I’m used to getting the ball in the middle and breaking it from there. Sam and Joey did well there. We had a ton of lob passes and cross court passes to Sacar on the sideline and it seemed to get a numbers advantage due to GTowns initial pressure on the first ball handler.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2020, 04:41:48 PM »
I think my new approach with this team is it might not be pretty or conventional, but it gets the job done. The offense doesn’t look efficient, but it’s one of the top offenses in the country.

To me on the press break, it seemed like we allowed ourselves to get trapped and broke it up the sidelines with long passes. I’m used to getting the ball in the middle and breaking it from there. Sam and Joey did well there. We had a ton of lob passes and cross court passes to Sacar on the sideline and it seemed to get a numbers advantage due to GTowns initial pressure on the first ball handler.

We turned it over a bit more than I liked, but when we did break the press it resulted in a wide open shot or layup every single time.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2020, 04:47:50 PM »
Seems that Wojo must read Scoop. Just recently there was discussion of 3-game losing streaks.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2020, 05:41:38 PM »
I'd need to rewatch to be sure, but I was pretty happy with the press break last night. There were a few bad turnovers but I think at least twice that many wide open shots

ok, let me rephrase a little-koby looked like he's never seen a press before nor had they even practised breaking one.  he might have got it done more times than not, but he seemed more nervous than a pregnant nun in a rectory. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2020, 06:50:10 PM »
Lol I can't believe this thread is already in its third page.

They're not booing. They're saying Wooj, a shorthand, playful nickname for Woj.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2020, 09:38:57 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 09:45:44 PM by 94Warrior »

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2020, 09:43:25 PM »
I just rewatched the last 10 mins.  Not sure why Koby is always the lightening rod. 

Against the press Sacar got trapped and threw it away, Greg traveled, Brendan threw a bad pass.  Symir three one away.  Koby wasn’t always smooth, got tied up once, but handled the ball far more than the others, and did a pretty darn good job.

We’d be in a world of hurt without him.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:33:39 PM by 94Warrior »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2020, 07:14:41 AM »
Lol I can't believe this thread is already in its third page.

They're not booing. They're saying Wooj, a shorthand, playful nickname for Woj.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GusJohnson

• Walk-On
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2020, 09:02:03 AM »
Good.

Students are spoiled. Show TFU. You have a team that is competing and just outside the top 25. We won’t always be amazing.

(Insert butt hurt ners, guru, Mike dean, 5 dollar) “yeah but!!! We lost some games”

Nah, the whole fan base is spoiled. Will never forget the Georgetown game at home last year. Should have been a raucous atmoshphere with MU having a chance to win the Big East. Instead, the sweater vests and everyone else was as into the game as a November matchup against a SWAC team.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2020, 09:17:54 AM »
Nah, the whole fan base is spoiled. Will never forget the Georgetown game at home last year. Should have been a raucous atmoshphere with MU having a chance to win the Big East. Instead, the sweater vests and everyone else was as into the game as a November matchup against a SWAC team.

To be fair people were anxious as we had been falling apart down the stretch. But I do agree. I remember watching it on TV thinking it sounded silent
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2020, 09:21:08 AM »

Not. True.

Much of the crowd excitedly entered the bowl as Nova lost on the TV monitors in the concourse.  The performance on the floor that day was 100% responsible for the subdued atmosphere that developed.  I actually hear Wojo sometimes imply that the initial energy should come from the fan base.  Fan reaction is a byproduct of the performance on the court. Get your team ready to compete Steve and there will be tons of support. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2020, 09:23:34 AM »
Not. True.

Much of the crowd excitedly entered the bowl as Nova lost on the TV monitors in the concourse.  The performance on the floor that day was 100% responsible for the subdued atmosphere that developed.  I actually hear Wojo sometimes imply that the initial energy should come from the fan base.  Fan reaction is a byproduct of the performance on the court. Get your team ready to compete Steve and there will be tons of support.

Exactly right.

And Galway is correct... when Georgetown made their run the crowd got as tight as the team did.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2020, 09:25:23 AM »
Not. True.

I both agree and disagree. The student section being insanely loud right after thunderstruck before the tip and going right into the cheers seems like every they control. After that I agree fan reaction is a byproduct of performance.
Maigh Eo for Sam

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2020, 09:31:09 AM »
Not. True.

Agree completely.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2020, 09:37:43 AM »

I think when they did break the press they were very successful at getting easy hoops.  That being said I was always taught regardless of where you are on the court the best way to beat a zone press like that is with diagonal passes.  The few times we did that we were very successful at getting open hoops and 3-2, 2-1 situations.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2020, 09:43:16 AM »
My recollection if that game was that MU played very well, but Mcclung and Akinjo kept throwing up prayers that went in over and over. I think it was Keefe who said "Georgetown kept throwing up turds that somehow plopped into the punch bowl."

Maybe others are different but when two teams are playing well and trading body blows back and forth,  that pumps me up more rather than takes me out of it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2020, 09:43:40 AM »
Exactly right.

And Galway is correct... when Georgetown made their run the crowd got as tight as the team did.

Definitely had a Wrigley Field Game 7 against the Marlins after the Bartman game feel to it.....waiting for something bad to happen, and it did.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2020, 10:06:12 AM »
When the first NET rankings of the year came out, Buzz’s TAMU team was 281, lowest of any P6 school.  That is the definition of having nothing to work with.  He now has them at 116 and might get into the NIT.  It’s a good thing he didn’t decide to throw his first season at TAMU out the window.

Context matters. Your argument that they went from 281 to 116 loses a lot of luster when you point out "lowest of any P6 school." So from 75/75 to 69/75? And none of the P6 schools are sub-200 anymore, so the vast majority of that "improvement" is just playing (not winning, but playing) conference games.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2020, 10:12:15 AM »
My recollection if that game was that MU played very well, but Mcclung and Akinjo kept throwing up prayers that went in over and over. I think it was Keefe who said "Georgetown kept throwing up turds that somehow plopped into the punch bowl."

Maybe others are different but when two teams are playing well and trading body blows back and forth,  that pumps me up more rather than takes me out of it.

There were 51 fouls called by the Big East’s finest in that Georgetown game which takes out the game and crowd flow. Even more amazing with all those fouls called, the teams attempted 50 threes. “The BE title is on the line, let’s insert ourselves into the action”.

And if James Breeding shows up for this SH rematch, expect another BE ref crapshow beyond last year’s debacle.  We haven’t had him in a while so MU is due for his ego to enter the loading dock garage at FF.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:13:50 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2020, 11:24:21 AM »
NMM
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:29:25 AM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GusJohnson

• Walk-On
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2020, 12:56:17 PM »
Not. True.

Definitely agree, it was a blast watching on the concourse with everyone and thought that would have carried over more.

Still would have been expecting something like games against Nova or Wisconsin when your team has a chance to clinch a conference title on its home floor. At least from where I was sitting, it didn't come anywhere close and that has been a trend in recent years for other important games.

Hopefully the return of UConn and more years of playing against Xavier, Butler and Creighton (who MU fans don't seem to treat super seriously at home) will help amp people up more often, like the BC crowds when the team ripped off almost 30 straight home wins from 2012-2013.

Until then, we can all lay off the students.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2020, 01:42:49 PM »
Were these reporters intimidated by Ewing? He seemed nice enough. How about asking him about possibly facing Markus for the last time and what he has meant to the Big East? Listening to these press conferences always make me cringe. So many softball questions or flat-out stupid questions.