[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wonder if there were idiots at Davidson who thought Curry hurt them  (Read 6178 times)

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
As Markus passed Curry in points and 3-pointers, and in fact did it shooting a higher percentage on 3-pointers despite the line being moved further from the hoop, I had to wonder.

I'd love to go back and see if there were a vocal minority of Davidson fans who convinced themselves Curry was hurting the team by shooting too much. I mean, based on above he took MORE shots than Markus to hit FEWER 3-pointers.

I mean Ken Pomeroy and my Value Add both penalize a player for negatives (missing shots, turnovers) and weighing positives and negatives I calculate he is the 7th most valuable player and Pomeroy says 3rd, but haters will hate and maybe Davidson had them too.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Wonder if there were idiots at Davidson who thought Curry hurt them
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »
This is a really dumb argument.

A) that was curry in 3 years
B) he had much better defense
C) he was much more versatile

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 09:48:09 PM »
This is a really dumb argument.

A) that was curry in 3 years
B) he had much better defense
C) he was much more versatile

Was hoping for exhibit A for my headline thank you.

So to the point that Curry took MORE shots to hit FEWER three points your counter is ... That he did it in only three years.

You get the Homer Simpson - you see fewer years means he was shooting even more frequently not less. Do you even think while you are typing or does it just come out?
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 09:49:17 PM »

So to the point that Curry took MORE shots to hit FEWER three points your counter is ... That he did it in only three years.

You get the Homer Simpson - you see fewer years means he was shooting even more frequently not less. Do you even think while you are typing or does it just come out?

Mr. Police, I would like to report a murder
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 09:52:06 PM »

This would've been a perfect post to call him a twat lol
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »

*Insert Simpsons "he's already dead" gif*

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 09:55:14 PM »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 09:55:17 PM »
I have argued Marcus doesnt shoot enuff.  The fools prolly want koby to shoot more?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 10:02:58 PM »
I can’t believe there are actually people who don’t like Markus Howard.

Does he play bad some games and still shoot the ball a lot? Yes. Does he occasionally miss an open teammate and end up taking a difficult shot or turning the ball over? Yes.

But he’s one of the best college players of this generation. And literally every unbiased analyst says just that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 10:14:43 PM »

GOT EM!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 10:19:20 PM »

Ohhhh, do you REALLY wanna do this? Really? I mean, it's cool and all about your stat site. Honestly its cool. But basketball, you dont know. And im about to wreck you like a priest on an altar boy. Usually I don't care, and just troll. But since you seriously compared Howard to Curry, I just have to slap you.

Lets start off with your claim that Curry shot more. Which is true, when you look at it from a cold hard stats spot (ironic from an advanced stats guy like yourself)

We first need to understand that Curry played 30.9 minutes per game as a freshman (33.1 and 33.7 his next two) While Howard only played 22.0 mpg his freshman year. That adds up to an extra 400 minutes on his freshman campaign. And while yes, Howard actually shot better his freshman year (.506 compared to .463) You have to undertake that Curry was literally the best player in his conference, whereas Howard wasn't even the 3rd option on his team. You can see these numbers drop dramatically Howard's next three years. A comparision to Curry, who, improved his sophomore year, before being dealt double teams his entire junior year, then adapted to a much better PG as he got older.

Howard 3P% (.547/.404/.403/.392) 2P% (.506/.464/.420/.408)
Curry 3P% (.408/.439/.387) 2P% (.463/.483/.454)

We've seen Howard be focused by defenses and how it has hurt him. But that pails in comparision to what Curry received. Remember that Curry was the only high level talent on his team. Sacar would have easily been one of the best players davidson has ever seen. Sacar will be a (who?) 10 years from now at Marquette. Curry in the face of the wave of defensive focus he got became a much better point guard. Dishing out (2.8/2.9/5.6) assists per game, meanwhile Howard has done (2.3/2.8/3.9/3.1)  with much better talent around him then Curry.

Remember Murant last year. Now imagine someone 10x his talent, thats what you just compared to Howard.

But were not done yet. That was just the offensive side of things.

Curry pulled in 473 rebounds in his college career, Howard in 4 years has pulled in 379. Steals? Curry 221 Howard 121. Blocks? 28 to 6. Points per game? Career? Howard 21.2 Curry 25.3. Last year? Howard 27.1 Curry 28.6 (in addition to 5.6 assists per game)

There's a ton more I could delve into, but I think I've already made the point. Why someone would attempt to compare a freaking NBA Allstar compared to someone who may barly get drafted in the second round is beyond me.

This isn't a knock against Howard, but your own stupidity. Howard is a great player, who if he was 6'3 instead of 5'8 would probably be better then Curry (Also would have been drafted at 19) unfortunately height is a very big thing in basketball, and well, Howard just does not have it.

Career stats:

Curry:

Howard:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:24:14 PM by #UnleashJayce »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 10:24:13 PM »
Ohhhh, do you REALLY wanna do this? Really? I mean, it's cool and all about your stat site. Honestly its cool. But basketball, you dont know. And im about to wreck you like a priest on an altar boy. Usually I don't care, and just troll. But since you seriously compared Howard to Curry, I just have to slap you.

Lets start off with your claim that Curry shot more. Which is true, when you look at it from a cold hard stats spot (ironic from an advanced stats guy like yourself)

We first need to understand that Curry played 30.9 minutes per game as a freshman (33.1 and 33.7 his next two) While Howard only played 22.0 mpg his freshman year. That adds up to an extra 400 minutes on his freshman campaign. And while yes, Howard actually shot better his freshman year (.506 compared to .463) You have to undertake that Curry was literally the best player in his conference, whereas Howard wasn't even the 3rd option on his team. You can see these numbers drop dramatically Howard's next three years. A comparision to Curry, who, improved his sophomore year, before being dealt double teams his entire junior year, then adapted to a much better PG as he got older.

We've seen Howard be focused by defenses and how it has hurt him. But that pails in comparision to what Curry received. Remember that Curry was the only high level talent on his team. Sacar would have easily been one of the best players davidson has ever seen. Sacar will be a (who?) 10 years from now at Marquette. Curry in the face of the wave of defensive focus he got became a much better point guard. Dishing out (2.8/2.9/5.6) assists per game, meanwhile Howard has done (2.3/2.8/3.9/3.1)  with much better talent around him then Curry.

Remember Murant last year. Now imagine someone 10x his talent, thats what you just compared to Howard.

Curry pulled in 473 rebounds in his college career, Howard in 4 years has pulled in 379. Steals? Curry 221 Howard 121. Blocks? 28 to 6. Points per game? Career? Howard 21.2 Curry 25.3. Last year? Howard 27.1 Curry 28.6 (in addition to 5.6 assists per game)

There's a ton more I could delve into, but I think I've already made the point. Why someone would attempt to compare a freaking NBA Allstar compared to someone who may barly get drafted in the second round is beyond me.

This isn't a knock against Howard, but your own stupidity. Howard is a great player, who if he was 6'3 instead of 5'8 would probably be better then Curry (Also would have been drafted at 19) unfortunately height is a very big thing in basketball, and well, Howard just does not have it.

It's truly amazing how much you missed his original point by.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 10:26:03 PM »

+1

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 10:26:23 PM »
Just a bit outside
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 10:26:46 PM »

That Curry shot more than Howard? Only because he, well, simply played more? Shocking.

this is one of those arguments you get into while glancing over stats while not looking at the full picture. Curry literally was his team. And still managed to get them involved. Howard has been around top recruits his entire time in college, and still couldn't do what Curry did.

Howard is a good player, but Curry levels? Are you kidding?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 10:27:17 PM »
Wait...Howard was the third option as a freshman? The season he led the team in scoring and usage?

Oh son, you're bad at this "owning" thing...  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 10:27:43 PM »
And im about to wreck you

Fail.  Enjoy your beer.  Enjoy the win.  Stop posting.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 10:28:43 PM »

Career stats:

Curry:

Howard:

I stopped reading once you claimed Sacar would’ve been one of the best players to ever play for Davidson. Might want to look into what Bob McKillop has done there. Or don’t and continue to look like an idiot like auburn said.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 10:29:04 PM »
So an NBA talent that's become an all star dominated low major college defenses

😱
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 10:30:01 PM »
Wait...Howard was the third option as a freshman? The season he led the team in scoring and usage?

Oh son, you're bad at this "owning" thing...  ;D

Jujuan Johnson
Luke fischer
Katin Reinhardt

All above Howard in the pecking order (and gameplan for other teams)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 10:30:57 PM »
Jujuan Johnson
Luke fischer
Katin Reinhardt

LOL!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 10:31:12 PM »
I stopped reading once you claimed Sacar would’ve been one of the best players to ever play for Davidson. Might want to look into what Bob McKillop has done there. Or don’t and continue to look like an idiot like auburn said.

Would you like to name more then one player? Or does your All time players list usually consist of 2.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 10:33:48 PM »
So an NBA talent that's become an all star dominated low major college defenses

😱

You may want to go check who Curry played at davidson.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 10:34:13 PM »
Jujuan Johnson
Luke fischer
Katin Reinhardt

I'm gonna guess you didn't watch that season. Because again, Howard led the team in usage and points. He was the first option whenever he was out there.

And seriously, Katin Reinhardt? Are you trying to be stupid? Katin & Fischer both took fewer shots than Howard in more minutes.

Just stop. Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought an idiot than open it and prove it. It's too late for you, but if you shut up now you can do some damage control.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 10:35:03 PM »

Would you like to name more then one player? Or does your All time players list usually consist of 2.

I mean just this year Kellan Grady and Jon Gudmanson are better than Sacar.

But hey maybe they have 2 all timers on this team alone!

Seriously take a break. Tough night for you with MU running their opponent out of the gym. Try again tomorrow. You’ll be better, I’m sure of it.

feedback