[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Great Effort Today  (Read 2316 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Great Effort Today
« on: February 02, 2008, 01:09:15 PM »
Give a lot of credit to MU, they hung in there after being down 9 early and played tough today, especially at Cincy. Road wins are tough to come by in this league, and Cincy has obviously been very tough at home.

No time to celebrate though, big one coming up Monday. Louisville plays later today then has to turn around and come to Milwaukee. Time to make a nice statement again at home and start to make some separation towards the top of the standings.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
Re: Great Effort Today
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 01:15:22 PM »
I think Christopherson's lone contribution, that 3 pointer started the first run and woke us up that game.  Way to come off the bench.

I guess Cincy got into DJ's head...wherever it is  ?-(

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 01:16:44 PM »
Agree totally!  Now, let's keep it going on Monday!

romey

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 01:18:24 PM »
I'm out of state, so I listened (on and off) on the internet.  Looking at stats and coupling that with the broadcast I heard (again, didn't listen to the whole game), I have some questions for those who saw the game.

1) It looks like Cubs, Acker and Fitz did nothing offensively (captain obvious here based on combined "oh-fer" from the field).  What was the deal with that?

2) Not to shortchange Barro, but were most of his points from dish offs on guard penetration or did he actually create some offense on his own?  Only missing one shot is impressive.  Regardless.  Great game Ouse.

3) DJ, again, what do you guys see watching this game live?  Not impressive statistically.  FG% and FT%.  (Correction - final box score says 4-6 from the FT line, but in game box score had him 0-5 at one pointy - I think)

I'm pumped that they got the big W on the road.  Now that they have that monkey off their backs, a convincing win vs. Looville would keep the momentum rolling.

Thanks in advance for your analysis!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:35:32 PM by romey »

Pardner

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 02:20:55 PM »
Huge win to keep our run going.  Keys:

1.  Of course Ooze with the double-double.  With the slow start again, he immediately stopped the bleeding for us by creating an inside option.  Was disruptive on D.  MU won the reb advantage which has been a problem.  LH took off when Ooze started to hit.
2.  JM had 7 assists and NO turnovers.  When he creates, we are a better team on O.
3.  Wes...11 pts and 9 rebs.  Wes has been key the last couple of games within the sub-offense.
4.  TC went with the 2-3 match-up zone on D which changed the dynamics of the game.  Tried different substitution schemes to get us back on track...but then went to short bench in the second half on the road with the fab five.  Nice subtleties like posting up LH.

Opportunities:  Energy at the start of the game.  I think this was the fifth game in a row we came out flat.   Start Ooze, get energy off D at the start instead trying to catch lightning in a bottle by launching threes on the road.

Time for some Louisville revenge!

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »
Nice game -- I saw bits but what stood out is that we were running some of the same plays to Ooze in the post we ran early in the season.  Those pages of the playbook have been found again and we won -- lets hope they are not lost again as this team is worlds different when they play with those plays.

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 03:35:36 PM »
I love the steal McNeal had late in the game and got intentionally fouled on.  The replays on that steal show just great he is defensively.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »
Ooze did a lot today.  Wasn't it him on Vaughn at the end of the 1st half after UC called a timeout to set up a play with abotu 15 secs left?
He's extremely active at both ends of the court. At one point he was covering an attempted 3, and when it went up, went underneath and got fouled getting the rebound.  Ironically (as Jarvis pointed out) Hayward was sent to the free throw line.  An old McGuire trick with Meminger.

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 06:48:57 PM »
I believe the key to the game was the passes that the guards finally started making to Ouse.  We've not seen that during the "slump" games.  Penetration by our guards is obviously the key to our offense, and when they dish off to Ouse or DB, that's when the offense is effective and we score in bunches.

It was nice to see it finally click, but I'm telling you, the first 8/10 minutes were aweful once again.

Let's keep it going

feedback