'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

How concerned are you about another late season collapse?

Chicken Little (the sky is falling)
16 (8.2%)
Concerned. Georgetown is must-win.
117 (59.7%)
Mildly concerned. Is always better to win but every team has a skid.
51 (26%)
Chicos. (This is fine)
3 (1.5%)
Arbys
9 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author Topic: Concern re: Late Season Collapse  (Read 15210 times)

1SE

• All American
Concern re: Late Season Collapse
« on: February 23, 2020, 05:53:12 PM »
Losing three in a row has us all having flashbacks to last year's historic collapse. Can Wojo make it two in a row? Or is this just a blip en route to major post-season success?

Frankly I'm quite concerned, losses are one thing - but this team has look clueless and lost the last two games. Wojo stands there biting his upper lip. It just amazes me that this is the same team that was so complete in the Butler win.

Then there's Chicos.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Concern re: Late Season Collapse
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 05:55:48 PM »
Losing three in a row has us all having flashbacks to last year's historic collapse. Can Wojo make it two in a row? Or is this just a blip en route to major post-season success.

Frankly I'm quite concerned, losses are one thing - but this team has look clueless and lost the last two games. Wojo stands there biting his upper lip. It just amazes me that this is the same team that was so complete in the Butler win.

Then there' Chicos.

I said this was fine or I said this is expected based on who and where we played?  We looked clueless against one of the best teams in the country in Creighton?  Ah....could you change one of the responses to “I am a MU fan that pisses and soils myself” and put a picture of you next to it...thanks
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 07:26:41 PM »
The whole picture:
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 07:39:33 PM »
Can I answer after Wednesday?

I'm on record that we'll have a 3-1 finish for a 10-8 season and a good NCAA seed. If that happens, not all that concerned.

If we lose Wednesday...

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 07:42:40 PM »

I'm on record that we'll have a 3-1 finish for a 10-8 season and a good NCAA seed. If that happens, not all that concerned.

If we lose Wednesday...

Still hoping you win the bet for MU’s sake. 

I think we loose to GT, and Johnnies.  No analytics in my answer, just a hunch. Hope I’m wrong

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 08:39:41 PM »
Still hoping you win the bet for MU’s sake. 

I think we loose to GT, and Johnnies.  No analytics in my answer, just a hunch. Hope I’m wrong

For the love of our alma mater, learn the difference between “lose” and “loose.”

And DePaul is a likelier loss than St. John’s. They looked terrible today. Their spirit was broken by Xavier and Heron is out for the season.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 08:44:53 PM »
For the love of our alma mater, learn the difference between “lose” and “loose.”

And DePaul is a likelier loss than St. John’s. They looked terrible today. Their spirit was broken by Xavier and Heron is out for the season.

Yep, I definitely got that one wrong.   Sorry Billy

If you prefer I use loss, lose, and loose in three sentences i can?

-Sidney D.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:08:33 PM by Bad_Reporter »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 09:03:02 PM »

For the love of our alma mater, learn the difference between not knowing the difference between “lose” and “loose” and a typo.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 09:13:03 PM »
Georgetown is a must-win and it is also why we will win.  A Georgetown loss and....wait for it.....it will be a 3 game losing streak for them in the conference. 

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 09:25:35 PM »

If we lose Wednesday...

LOL a 3-1 finish and you'd be proud?? I'm sure you are assuming wins vs. Georgetown, SJU and DePaul...wow! Wins vs the bottom three teams in the Big east and all is right in the world again??

If that scenario happens, let's look at this closer...shall we??

10 W's..

Butler-1
Xavier-2
Georgetown-2
SJU-2
DePaul-2
Nova-1

9 of the 10 wins in this scenario would be against the current bottom 5 teams in the BE standings..1 win against the top 4...1. Even if they beat SH and go 4-0 down the stretch and go 11-7 instead of 10-8 that still gives them 9-11 wins vs the bottom teams in the Big East...you'd be impressed with that??

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »
Georgetown is a must-win and it is also why we will win.  A Georgetown loss and....wait for it.....it will be a 3 game losing streak for them in the conference.

BS. If our next game was a must win at Creighton we wouldn’t win “because it’s a must win”. We’ll win alright. We’ll win...wait for it...because we’re home...and because they’re down to a handful of scholarship players...and because they stink.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 09:49:09 PM »
LOL a 3-1 finish and you'd be proud?? I'm sure you are assuming wins vs. Georgetown, SJU and DePaul...wow! Wins vs the bottom three teams in the Big east and all is right in the world again??

10 W's..

Butler-1
Xavier-2
Georgetown-2
SJU-2
DePaul-2
Nova-1

9 of the 10 wins in this scenario would be against the current bottom 5 teams in the BE standings..1 win against the top 4...1. Even if they beat SH and go 4-0 down the stretch and go 11-7 instead of 10-8 that still gives them 9-11 wins vs the bottom teams in the Big East...you'd be impressed with that??

I didn't use the word proud.

To answer your question anyways...proud of that 4 game stretch? Not particularly. Proud of a 20-10, 10-8 season and a 6ish seed after 2 of our best 3 players bailed? Yes. Absolutely. That's a good season, especially if you add a win in the tournament.

I don't really care how they get to 10-8. I guess I'd prefer some more good wins but that would mean tacking on some bad losses as well.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 09:52:20 PM »
BS. If our next game was a must win at Creighton we wouldn’t win “because it’s a must win”. We’ll win alright. We’ll win...wait for it...because we’re home...and because they’re down to a handful of scholarship players...and because they stink.

And yet they continue to surprise teams and play hard.  There are no givens in this league.  Bad Reporter thinks we will lose.  So do others.  I think we will win.

And yes, I think it is a must win.   Stay Angry Lenny....I love it...your intensity...I can feel it.  Your game face is on.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 09:53:19 PM »

10 W's..

Butler-1
Xavier-2
Georgetown-2
SJU-2
DePaul-2
Nova-1

Now do the same thing for the other teams...low and behold you will find...wait for it...the teams in the upper half usually take care of the teams in the bottom half.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 09:55:19 PM »
I didn't use the word proud.

To answer your question anyways...proud of that 4 game stretch? Not particularly. Proud of a 20-10, 10-8 season and a 6ish seed after 2 of our best 3 players bailed? Yes. Absolutely. That's a good season, especially if you add a win in the tournament.

I don't really care how they get to 10-8. I guess I'd prefer some more good wins but that would mean tacking on some bad losses as well.

Exactly, but Guru can never be happy.  For his health I hope he cheers for a new team, I really do. 

Considering where so many of our “fans” had us 3 months ago, 6 months ago...I will be very proud at that result.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 10:22:56 PM »

Considering where so many of our “fans” had us 3 months ago, 6 months ago...I will be very proud at that result.

Wasn’t there a Scoop poll before the season? What were the results? I may be wrong but I believe Pomeroy had us #17 prior to the season. If there were doomsday projections in November on Scoop please point them out rather than being vague (what is “many”?). I’ll hang up and wait for (but won’t expect) an honest answer. LOL

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:29:53 PM by Lennys Tap »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 11:43:15 PM »
Mental health wise it absolutely makes sense for guru to support KU or dook

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 07:47:36 AM »
Now do the same thing for the other teams...low and behold you will find...wait for it...the teams in the upper half usually take care of the teams in the bottom half.

I think part of the problem was many hoped to be an upper half team this year. There is still time, but the trend hasn’t been very good.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 07:57:02 AM »
Oh, and Seton Hall is a gimme, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 08:45:07 AM »
Mental health wise it absolutely makes sense for guru to support KU or dook

You know what would help me the most?? For MU to win more..win some big games. Play better. It's as simple as that. I don't think that's a monumental ask, is it??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 08:59:20 AM »
I think part of the problem was many hoped to be an upper half team this year. There is still time, but the trend hasn’t been very good.

And many here predicted a bottom half finish and maybe the NIT.

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »
And many here predicted a bottom half finish and maybe the NIT.

I see 5 out of 121 predicted 17-20 wins on Tower's prediction poll from 10/23. SO MANY! https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59180.0
Of those 5, I was one of them - been sticking with 19 wins all season and I thought then as well as now that 19 was in NCAAs. It depends all on who those 19 wins are against, so predicting NIT from 17-20 wins was a poor assumption in the first place
I like how 2 people voted "Chicos" in this poll. Makes ya wonder...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 09:43:01 AM »
I chose Arby's because it is delicious.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2020, 09:58:37 AM »
I attribute the appearance of "loose" vice the correct "lose" to the fact that Wisconsin-born Scoopers are not typing but, rather, speaking their posts which, when combined with the Wisconsin accent, results in "loose" populating posts.

The Wisconsin accent is spoken through the nose and characterized by long, flat vowels and clipped consonants.

It is entirely likely that Bad Reporter is speaking into his iPhone while waitin' at da Stop n Go Light on his way ta go by da Tyme machine, ya know, sayin', "Ya, gettin' ready to leave Muwokey here, hey, and doncha know last night I saw Marquette loose anudder one der hey. Yous guys hate dat, too, hey?"

I think there was a bubbler in that sequence, too.

Death on call

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2020, 10:37:04 AM »
Oh, and Seton Hall is a gimme, hey?

Zero gimmees in this league.  Every game will be tough, including the last two.