Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Mid-Major Madness  (Read 2097 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
[Cracked Sidewalks] Mid-Major Madness
« on: February 25, 2020, 07:57:43 AM »
A conversation with Ken Pomeroy on Twitter about the potential of a Stephen F Austin at-large bid led me to dig into mid-major resumes to see where teams stand in terms of getting at-large bids outside the traditional power structure. First, we establish the ground rules (yes, the A-10 and WCC are mid-majors) and then go team-by-team through the teams with hopes of getting an at-large based on what we saw the Selection Committee do last year both in terms of getting teams in and leaving teams out.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2020/02/mid-major-madness.html
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Mid-Major Madness
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 10:42:16 AM »
Dayton's a Mid-Major.  Think they'll make it?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 11:39:23 AM »
Dayton's a Mid-Major.  Think they'll make it?

I read here on Scoop that South Dakota State is a low major....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 12:37:45 PM »
I read here on Scoop that South Dakota State is a low major....

Yes, the Summit is a low major conference by everyone’s estimation but yours. These are MU buy game teams.  Hell, one, UPFW (Purdue Fort Wayne that mid powerhouse) is upgrading for the Horizon, a true mid major Conference with the likes of the AAC and A10, among those with any basketball sense. When MU schedules buy games against any kids, let us all know and then we can upgrade the Summit.

But, keep up your nonsense.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 02:10:17 PM »
Yes, the Summit is a low major conference by everyone’s estimation but yours. These are MU buy game teams.  Hell, one, UPFW (Purdue Fort Wayne that mid powerhouse) is upgrading for the Horizon, a true mid major Conference with the likes of the AAC and A10, among those with any basketball sense. When MU schedules buy games against any kids, let us all know and then we can upgrade the Summit.

But, keep up your nonsense.

I never said the Summit was mid major, I said South Dakota State was....you are moving the goalposts good doctor.  In fact if I said what you just alleged I did, I would be called a liar by Lenny and MU82 because that is what they do.  I said not one iota about the Summit Conference being a mid major...they aren’t.  I also don’t think you are a liar...just frustrated at being wrong on this one. ;)
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 02:51:11 PM »
I never said the Summit was mid major, I said South Dakota State was....you are moving the goalposts good doctor.  In fact if I said what you just alleged I did, I would be called a liar by Lenny and MU82 because that is what they do.  I said not one iota about the Summit Conference being a mid major...they aren’t.  I also don’t think you are a liar...just frustrated at being wrong on this one. ;)

Mid-major is a conference designation, not a program one. Gonzaga is both a mid-major and a top-10 program currently. There are 7 high major conferences (though I can understand debating the American), about 4-5 mid-majors, and everyone else is a low major.

I think mid-major is one of the funniest terms in sports because we act as though every half decent program is a mid-major by default. If you have virtually no chance of an at-large berth no matter how good you are, that's low-major. Liberty and the A-Sun, Belmont and the OVC, even leagues like the Horizon & CUSA aren't really mid-major anymore.

As the big leagues have cannibalized the top programs in mid-major leagues and the top mid-major leagues have done the same to low-majors, we've seen the number of mid-major leagues shrink. Without Butler and Valpo, the Horizon doesn't have the quality of teams to get two bids. Same goes for the Colonial after losing VCU & George Mason. We have a ton of low-majors and not many mid-majors left.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 02:56:25 PM »

So, mid-majors are defined by individual school success and not by their conference? Now, Dayton is a high major with Gonzaga versus being powers in a mid-major conferences ...and Northwestern and Washington are now mid to low majors this year? But, their designations can change year to year?  And, Murray State was a high major last year but now it’s a mid-major?

Glad to know Wojo lost to a mid-major UNO team at home versus a low major Summit team. That’s sure is some goal post shifting.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 03:16:13 PM »
Mid-major is a conference designation, not a program one.

False.  We have already gone through this in the past with links to support.  Not sure you want to go through this again, but if you wish please advise.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 04:08:30 PM »
False.  We have already gone through this in the past with links to support.  Not sure you want to go through this again, but if you wish please advise.

Don't need to. I was clear in the article what the working definition was. Your attempt to change that is a disingenuous argument. Take your goalposts elsewhere.

feedback