[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 3 game conference losing streak  (Read 7268 times)

joparks

• Scholarship Player
Re: 3 game conference losing streak
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2020, 02:03:58 PM »
More fearful of this turning into an 8 game losing streak than a spirited finish to the season. Does anyone believe we'll sweep Georgetown, St John's and DePaul?

Another good point, who, outside of the true believers, the 90% full all the time crowd, will think this team has turned the corner if (big if) MU escapes with 3 close wins against the Big East basement dwellers and gets run at home on Sr. day by a Seton Hall team that they should have the proper motivation to hammer after the way the Big East Semifinal went down last season?

[Wojo needed to go nuclear in that game to protect his players after the way Hall was playing (cheap/dirty) and the refs were screwing MU (numerous no-calls yet MU getting hit for ticky tak and flagrant fouls on love taps)  instead, he just sat there and took it (which was more infuriating than the loss) and then had his team completely melt down in the locker room after the game.]

They have not given me a shred of confidence that they are any different than last year's team.  They need to work the last 4 teams on their schedule thoroughly but they play way too passive for me to believe those types of results are in the cards.  I have to see something that tells me something different.  I love Marquette but I am not seeing it.  Marquette gets 2 at best of the last 4 and I don't see them looking good in the two they get and horrible in the 2 they don't. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2020, 02:08:23 PM »
More fearful of this turning into an 8 game losing streak than a spirited finish to the season. Does anyone believe we'll sweep Georgetown, St John's and DePaul?

Who knows, conference games are tough.  I do think we will beat Georgetown and I like our chances against Seton Hall on senior day.  Road games are always tough.  Need more out of Sacar, BB, and KM right now. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2020, 02:09:48 PM »
Never held a lead, never a chance to win.  They were run off the court to start the game as usual against quality teams and Villanova went to sleep.  Had Villanova kept the gas on, they would have won by 10-12 or more.

It’s ok to just admit you were wrong.  Your words don’t match with reality. 

So Hall of Fame coach Wright took foot off the gas so they could possibly be tied at the end.

The stupidity of our fans is epic...don’t let anyone tell you differently.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

connie

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2020, 02:39:26 PM »

So Hall of Fame coach Wright took foot off the gas so they could possibly be tied at the end.

When you're right, you're right.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2020, 02:49:29 PM »
Assuming we get the usual results in March:

No BET title, no NCAA wins what are your talking points then?
No arrests? Good gpa?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2020, 02:53:04 PM »
No arrests? Good gpa?
Good Lord the bar has been set low. I say each player gets a trophy if their parents gets them to every game too.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 02:59:53 PM »
I wonder how hard Cheek’s is laughing right before he hits the post button. Like Jordan or Tiger, Cheeks is much watch for me. If he has to be getting well above the recommended laughs per day. I know he gives me 3-4 belly laughs almost daily.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2020, 03:01:03 PM »
No arrests? Good gpa?

I guess all those years we made the NCAA tournament and lost early were abject failures.  We should strip them from our record books, eh?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 03:25:01 PM »
Well then our fans aren’t very smart in basketball but that would be redundant for some.

I remember when I said we were going to lose at Nova and then Creighton....but so many said we were on a hot streak.  As I said then, who you play matters and our streak compared to Creighton’s was no comparison.

Who you play...matters.  When you play...matters.   Where you play...matters.  And the other side gets a major say in how it all goes.

Same clowns come here when we lose, same clowns gone when we win.  Same clowns bitching we don’t win enoug were the same clowns who said we wouldn’t win in the first place...the irony.

Yet another “I’m brilliant and everyone who disagrees with me is stupid” post. Hooray!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2020, 03:31:18 PM »
Cheeks

No kidding that we would lose to teams better than us. We have two legit wins in BE play and the rest against the bottom teams. Very bold predictions on your part.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2020, 03:40:29 PM »

We’re lucky this year - our last 4 games are senior night against a recently struggling Seton Hall and 3 against the bottom feeders (10-31 combined) of the conference. Makes a continuation of our mini collapse unlikely.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2020, 03:43:10 PM »
Perhaps peaking early and fading late will be something else Wojo has in common with Crean.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2020, 03:50:04 PM »
Yet another “I’m brilliant and everyone who disagrees with me is stupid” post. Hooray!

The Verdict Is In....anyone who disagrees with Lenny’s verdict doesn’t know what they are talking about.  Hooray!

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2020, 03:52:34 PM »
And guess what, neither was Nova’s, Providence’s, Butler, etc...none of them were on last second shots either.

And let me be so bold, if we had lost three on last second shots the same people bitching would be.....bitching and you know damn well I am 100% right on that.  So give it a rest.

Cheeks, you may find it admirable to be the contrarian and that's fine.  You can be the one that shills for the team.  Just admit that is what you are doing.  If this team turns it around, there's no difference in the seat you and I have on the MU bus.  Nobody is going to say, "hey, there's Cheeks, he's always right."  You are picking one side of the coin and I have the other.  I want them to win as much as anyone else and I don't root for them to lose.  If I had confidence in them, I'd shill for the team.  But I don't and honestly, they have given me nothing to be confident in.  They haven't convinced me of anything at this point other than if they are somehow fortunate to get into the NCAAs, they shouldn't reserve their rooms past Thursday or Friday.  In fact, whatever tournament they are in (BET, NCAA, NIT), to save costs, they should fly in day of and not even bother with reserving a hotel room.

So let me rephrase, had they lost 3 last second games to V, C & P and HAD BEEN IN EACH OF THOSE GAMES FROM THE OPENING TIP, my feeling might be a little different.  Would I be frustrated?  You bet, but I would have some positives to point to.  However to point to these 3 games as just run of the mill losses, you are fooling yourself and your credibility.  The fact that you view the V loss as a 9 second chance to tie (with a bad shot, by the way) as a positive and have completely detached yourself from the awful basketball played in the first 28 minutes of gametime against V just shows that your rose colored glasses are masking a reality.  It was obvious that Villanova backed off a bit in intensity, whether by direction from the coach or the players felt that when Wojo yanked all the starters.  Either way, something changed which allowed MU to make a game of it and my guess it wasn't MU forcing the issue.  Had that not been the case, I would have expected MU to have a carryover effect into the Creighton game at home.  No such luck there as they came out soft and lethargic and were down by 10 scoring only 22 points in the first half.  Yesterday, they were dead on arrival.

I'm not going to try to convince you to switch and I don't think you should.  You've been glass 90% full all year on this team and that's fine.  The people bitching are the people that want more for this program almost 6 years in and they aren't seeing it and don't think they will ever see it with the current guy in place. 

Just saying, playing the guy at the end of Animal House saying "Remain Calm, All is Well" in the middle of a riot isn't earning any points.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2020, 04:03:24 PM »
The Verdict Is In....anyone who disagrees with Lenny’s verdict doesn’t know what they are talking about.  Hooray!

Did I say anyone who disagreed with me was displaying “epic stupidity”? Do you make those kind of statements routinely? No and yes.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2020, 04:03:53 PM »
Butler about to lose their third straight in conference for the second time this year....and oh my Gods they are losing by 19 right now....oh noes

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2020, 04:14:53 PM »
Butler about to lose their third straight in conference for the second time this year....and oh my Gods they are losing by 19 right now....oh noes

Butler sucks, is a huge disappointment and is in free fall.

What’s your point?

Class71

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2020, 04:35:34 PM »
Comments are fueled by emotion, particularly the personal attacks against those that disagree. Best to ignore and move on.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »
Cheeks

I stated three weeks ago that Butler was not very good. They have not done a lick in a month.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2020, 05:23:14 PM »

Dude, you lead the class. Go to work and stop posting your constant BS. Good grief you are a real piece of work.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2020, 05:29:07 PM »
Cheeks

I stated three weeks ago that Butler was not very good. They have not done a lick in a month.

You are correct...they aren't very good, never have been very good. If there was one incredibly fluky team to start the year it was Butler, without question.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2020, 05:33:59 PM »
Good Lord the bar has been set low. I say each player gets a trophy if their parents gets them to every game too.
It was a joke whitetrash...man you guys are wound too tight.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2020, 05:35:25 PM »
I guess all those years we made the NCAA tournament and lost early were abject failures.  We should strip them from our record books, eh?
Settle down cowboy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2020, 06:12:17 PM »
You are correct...they aren't very good, never have been very good. If there was one incredibly fluky team to start the year it was Butler, without question.

How come your eye test on them failed early in the season?  My how your opinions change as the wind blows

Why did you say this about Butler only a few weeks ago.  “Regardless, the point is..they have gotten MUCH MUCH better since last year,  and regardless of what they brought back, no one saw it coming. That's about Coaching. Their roster isn't as good as MU's(and not saying MU's is particularly great) and they certainly don't have an all american like MU does. Good Coaches can get the most out of teams that aren't particularly talented. That's what Lavall is doing..Wojo is not.”
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 06:19:01 PM by Cheeks »

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2020, 07:24:00 PM »
The results just arent there for a program that spends as much as Marquette does. Money does not = success but it sure as heck should not equal mediocrity.

feedback