[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: If Wojo left the program today...  (Read 36720 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: If Wojo left the program today...
« Reply #250 on: February 25, 2020, 10:58:34 PM »
1) I am not sure that falls in line with expectations - in Tower's preseason poll https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59180.0, 57% had us winning 24 games in the reg season so at least a good deal of Scoopers would feel underwhelmed by a bit
2) We aren't going to fire him in that or almost any other scenario BUT looking at the article I posted earlier there will be at least 1 or 2 coaches fired this year with better resumes than Wojo
3) 1 vs 0 NCAA wins still doesn't change the overall resume that it is neither spectacular nor unspectacular

On #1, I'd argue the Big East is much better than most thought it would be preseason.  So yes, most expected more BE wins, but also didn't know the BE would be as good as it is.

That said, at this point I'd still prefer 2 more BE wins, but alas it didn't happen.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2020, 12:28:11 AM »
"We all understand that Marquette fans have come to expect a certain amount of NCAA expectations AND we know that the money we invest in the program is unprecedented in our conference; that being said we see the inner workings and we know Steve and his staff are best positioned to deliver on this success"

Just acknowledge that there are expectations bc honestly it feels like there aren't any.

"words to appease fanbase and tell them they're special"
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2020, 12:50:55 AM »
"We all understand that Marquette fans have come to expect a certain amount of NCAA expectations AND we know that the money we invest in the program is unprecedented in our conference; that being said we see the inner workings and we know Steve and his staff are best positioned to deliver on this success"

Just acknowledge that there are expectations bc honestly it feels like there aren't any.

Huh? Unprecedented in our conference? We aren't even in #1 in our conference. And once you factor in that we have to rent our home stadium we end up being more like 5th or 6th.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #253 on: February 26, 2020, 01:00:28 AM »
Wojo will be run out of town eventually. Should have already happened but his clean cut plain vanilla style has kept him off the chopping block because he is without scandal.  Unless you consider zero tourney wins and blown rankings in the later half of seasons scandalous.......which you should

#wojohasnomojo

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #254 on: February 26, 2020, 06:03:17 AM »
Huh? Unprecedented in our conference? We aren't even in #1 in our conference. And once you factor in that we have to rent our home stadium we end up being more like 5th or 6th.

Lol

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2020, 06:09:44 AM »

Look at me, I’m SPECIAL! 

You are a child.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2020, 06:22:34 AM »

Georgetown, Creighton, SJU, Nova, Seton Hall, DePaul, PC and MU all pay rent for all or part of their games. Only Creighton outdraws MU. I wonder who generates the most profit?  Marquette charges a lot more per seat than Creighton.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2020, 06:44:20 AM »
Georgetown, Creighton, SJU, Nova, Seton Hall, DePaul, PC and MU all pay rent for all or part of their games. Only Creighton outdraws MU. I wonder who generates the most profit?  Marquette charges a lot more per seat than Creighton.

It's not MU. Renting an NBA stadium for every game is a different animal than renting the dunk or wells Fargo for a couple of games
TAMU

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2020, 07:45:49 AM »
It's not MU. Renting an NBA stadium for every game is a different animal than renting the dunk or wells Fargo for a couple of games

The Dunk is PC's only arena. All PC games are played there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2020, 07:48:50 AM »
Above and beyond the dribble that fills most of this thread, we have a genuine debate that is actually interesting.

Many of us have accepted it as fact that Marquette spends more on basketball than anybody in the BEast and ranks right up there nationally. Now, this isn't true? Isn't paying rent for games at Fiserv part of spending on basketball?

Isn't there any real data available to support various arguments?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2020, 07:59:05 AM »
Above and beyond the dribble that fills most of this thread, we have a genuine debate that is actually interesting.

Many of us have accepted it as fact that Marquette spends more on basketball than anybody in the BEast and ranks right up there nationally. Now, this isn't true? Isn't paying rent for games at Fiserv part of spending on basketball?

Isn't there any real data available to support various arguments?

It all depends on how the numbers are allocated. Jay Bee can give a much more accurate answer than me, but it depends on how the expenses are allocated. Does it go to the basketball team? Does the school allocate the costs to a football team? Are some considered general education expenses?

Same as how the Brewers crying poor based on operating loss is BS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2020, 08:08:38 AM »
The Dunk is PC's only arena. All PC games are played there.

Im aware. But I can see how I wrote it is confusing. Not sure the proper way to grammatically write that sentence
TAMU

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2020, 08:14:05 AM »
It all depends on how the numbers are allocated. Jay Bee can give a much more accurate answer than me, but it depends on how the expenses are allocated. Does it go to the basketball team? Does the school allocate the costs to a football team? Are some considered general education expenses?

Same as how the Brewers crying poor based on operating loss is BS.

This, so many school can bury the accounting.  MU is pretty straight forward, you can very easily see how they allocate dollars in the AD budget.  Some schools bury the coaches salary with low base and augment it with university sponsored camps, deferred compensation, etc.  It makes it hard to understand exactly how much some coaches are getting paid and how much is being spent on each sport.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2020, 09:17:57 AM »
Look at me, I’m SPECIAL! 

You are a child.

Seems like something GM's / Owners / AD's do all the time. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2020, 09:30:50 AM »
I'll take away just how many entitled, whiny children exist in the fanbase. Very Notre Damish.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2020, 10:33:16 AM »
What are the actual numbers here? And who is in front of MU in the BE?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2020, 10:55:58 AM »

I guess my question is who do we feel is the most profitable?  Who is ahead of MU? I am not debating, just curious.  I thought Creighton, but then I looked at the season ticket packages and MU charges a lot more.  I assume MU’s rent is higher at FF than CHI, but still Creighton pays rent for 100% of their games, although their seating capacity is higher.

As to Nova, yeah they only have a few games at WF, but their rent will be by the drink, and they have a lot less income playing on campus.  But NCAA credits may put them over the top.

So, that leaves Xavier and Butler, but they have capital expenses to run and maintain their arenas that MU doesn’t have. DePaul has a sweet deal but they have attendance minimums that they are not close to hitting.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2020, 11:07:25 AM »
I guess my question is who do we feel is the most profitable?  Who is ahead of MU? I am not debating, just curious.  I thought Creighton, but then I looked at the season ticket packages and MU charges a lot more.  I assume MU’s rent is higher at FF than CHI, but still Creighton pays rent for 100% of their games, although their seating capacity is higher.

As to Nova, yeah they only have a few games at WF, but their rent will be by the drink, and they have a lot less income playing on campus.  But NCAA credits may put them over the top.

So, that leaves Xavier and Butler, but they have capital expenses to run and maintain their arenas that MU doesn’t have. DePaul has a sweet deal but they have attendance minimums that they are not close to hitting.
[/quote

Depaul has attendance minimums?
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2020, 11:35:04 AM »
I wonder why some of our former coaches said that then.  Weird
Next coach who utters a comment that isn't self serving will be the first.  Besides, every person on Earth complains about their job at one time or another, usually all aspects, and about their previous jobs, too.  Coaches happen to have people who write their complaints down and publish them.  Such comments do not interest me because the speaker would likely say something completely different an hour later.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2020, 11:37:33 AM »
So, I hope this isn't controversial, but I think the tangent of this thread was all because someone asked the fans not to boo when we have a highly ranked recruit in the arena.

Can we agree that's a bad idea?

Can't argue with that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2020, 04:16:31 PM »
Guru:
Pitcher:
Willie:

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2020, 05:47:36 PM »
every person on Earth complains about their job at one time or another

I can honestly say that flying tactical fighters was completely without complaint. 

Death on call

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2020, 07:46:36 PM »
So, I hope this isn't controversial, but I think the tangent of this thread was all because someone asked the fans not to boo when we have a highly ranked recruit in the arena.

Can we agree that's a bad idea?

Good job everyone. So proud of you twats  ::)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:48:28 PM by jesmu84 »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »

I don't believe this.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2020, 09:48:32 PM »
I can honestly say that flying tactical fighters was completely without complaint.
LOL

feedback