'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: If Wojo left the program today...  (Read 36716 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: If Wojo left the program today...
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2020, 03:38:14 PM »
I’d remember his tenure by enthusiastically welcoming his replacement
No Finish Line

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2020, 03:44:01 PM »
The inability to win a game in the tournament would be a huge gut punch.  The everlasting feeling of his teams to not exceed expectations, or for the teams to not play above their potential.  Great shooting teams, but severely lacking on the defensive end consistently.  The upset win over #1 Villanova at home, would have been the pinnacle IMO.  Howard's and Rowsey's miraculous and out-of-this-world shooting abilities.  Howard's career in totality.  And, last but not least, the bitter ending of both the Ellensons and Hausers.

Having said all of that, we still get to be entertained by this year's team for a few more weeks.  They can easily turn it around and make a little run, just as easily as they can to succumb to this really awful stretch and continue to play bad.  Hoping the team can fix the issues for Georgetown (who might be the best BE opponent outside of DePaul for us to face right now).

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 03:59:55 PM »
The inability to win a game in the tournament would be a huge gut punch.  The everlasting feeling of his teams to not exceed expectations, or for the teams to not play above their potential.  Great shooting teams, but severely lacking on the defensive end consistently.  The upset win over #1 Villanova at home, would have been the pinnacle IMO.  Howard's and Rowsey's miraculous and out-of-this-world shooting abilities.  Howard's career in totality.  And, last but not least, the bitter ending of both the Ellensons and Hausers.

Having said all of that, we still get to be entertained by this year's team for a few more weeks.  They can easily turn it around and make a little run, just as easily as they can to succumb to this really awful stretch and continue to play bad.  Hoping the team can fix the issues for Georgetown (who might be the best BE opponent outside of DePaul for us to face right now).
DePaul will hand Wojo his ass. Those excuses after that will be entertaining.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2020, 04:17:59 PM »
A picture worth a thousand words!

Dude hoo kant stop eatin' grains, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2020, 04:20:21 PM »
The guy John Beilein replaced...maybe?
Who am I kidding, he’ll be back again.
In reality I’d remember him as a huge underachiever.  High expectations as coach K’s top assistant and nothing to show.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2020, 04:31:29 PM »
The problem is in the title of the thread. It has the word, "If" and not the word "when".

As a side is anyone concerned that Wojo will leave to replace Coach K?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2020, 04:52:14 PM »
The problem is in the title of the thread. It has the word, "If" and not the word "when".

Concerned?  No. Hopeful?  Absolutely.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2020, 04:52:43 PM »
Wojo’s Exit would be the same joy I experienced on 4/1/08. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2020, 04:56:24 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2020, 06:14:10 PM »

Ha..haa..haaa...haaaa...haaahhaahhaaahhaa!

Maybe for Coach K's spot in a foursome in the Duke Alumni Golf Charity event.

DorisBurkesThong

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2020, 06:49:06 PM »
I would remember it as never having a PG that could get to the basket and no quickness at the guard spots to defend dribble penetration.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2020, 07:17:40 PM »
Uh, gotta defend penetration at all cost, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2020, 07:25:34 PM »
Pretty boy coach who never could coach  his guys up to play scrappy, tough defense and play as a whole team.     Never improved his coaching.   If he looked like majerus he would have been done 2 years ago.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2020, 09:37:31 PM »

Wake up people. The guy cannot coach.

So right.

How as a coach do you watch Cain pass up an open corner 3, take a few dribbles, pass up an open 12 footer, then throw the ball away leading to a dunk, and you leave him in the game?!?!?!   Disgraceful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2020, 09:43:27 PM »
So right.

How as a coach do you watch Cain pass up an open corner 3, take a few dribbles, pass up an open 12 footer, then throw the ball away leading to a dunk, and you leave him in the game?!?!?!   Disgraceful.

The corner is Cain’s “spot”. If he’s afraid to take that wide open shot he shouldn’t be in the game. Period.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2020, 09:45:44 PM »
Serious question, did Wojo show any pulse when we got screwed on that shot clock violation that gave Providence the ball back, and a reset to 20 seconds I think. And of course, they scored.  He should have been going ballistic on that. Couldn’t he have asked them to review that?  They review everything nowadays. But at least fight for your team there.  It was a 9 point game when that happened and quickly balloooned after. It was an important play. But you’d never know based on Wojo’s lack of reaction to it. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2020, 09:48:24 PM »
The corner is Cain’s “spot”. If he’s afraid to take that wide open shot he shouldn’t be in the game. Period.

He made two terrible decisions after that even. Yet, play on Jamal was Wojo’s judgment of it apparently.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2020, 11:34:10 PM »
He made two terrible decisions after that even. Yet, play on Jamal was Wojo’s judgment of it apparently.

Wojo was just proving a point that Ners...wasn't right.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2020, 12:12:34 AM »
If Wojo left, I would remember his teams as full of strong recruits, however few players seemed to really grow and improve over their years.  I’ll remember his teams as mostly lacking balance.  The irony is that Wojo was selfless as a player, yet his teams often had one primary shooter that showed no regard for good/bad shots...whether Carlino or Howard.  He’s had some tremendous shooters, but his teams have often been below average defensively, poor at passing, distributing, and ball handling.  Watching games, and I’d love a true ball handler with court awareness, like Gillespie.  Today I enjoyed watching Russell at Rhode Island and Pritchard at Oregon. 

Howard has kind of been the epitome of Marquette during Wojo’s tenure.  By all accounts a great person, a hard worker, good shooting, substandard height, substandard distributing/passing, substandard defense, below average ball-handling, frequent foul trouble, too many dumb shots, and a lack of being held accountable.  Some good times, but lots of frustration. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2020, 12:19:42 AM »
Serious question, did Wojo show any pulse when we got screwed on that shot clock violation that gave Providence the ball back, and a reset to 20 seconds I think. And of course, they scored.  He should have been going ballistic on that. Couldn’t he have asked them to review that?  They review everything nowadays. But at least fight for your team there.  It was a 9 point game when that happened and quickly balloooned after. It was an important play. But you’d never know based on Wojo’s lack of reaction to it.

This was a pretty huge play, but Wojo would have looked silly complaining about it because unfortunately it was the correct call. Howard kicked the ball with 1 second on the clock.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2020, 08:33:25 AM »
This was a pretty huge play, but Wojo would have looked silly complaining about it because unfortunately it was the correct call. Howard kicked the ball with 1 second on the clock.

Providence guy kicked it first and Howard kicked it!!  It should have been MU ball. It was the wrong call and everyone knew it.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2020, 08:37:28 AM »
But Wojo again shows incompetence for in game coaching by saying nothing, not raising a royal stink, and letting game play on and watching Providence score. Kind of like his incompetence not knowing score coming out of a timeout. 

And all this for what is being paid, 2 mil a year?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2020, 09:37:16 AM »
I cannot wait for senior day when our arsehole fans don’t make it about the young men that are graduating, but decide to be tough guys and boo our coach....that’s going to be awesome.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »
I cannot wait for senior day when our arsehole fans don’t make it about the young men that are graduating, but decide to be tough guys and boo our coach....that’s going to be awesome.

Your unicorn will stop getting booed when he actually has success.  We’ve dropped three games in a row, will likely be unranked when the new rankings come out, and have never won a Big East title or NCAA Tournament game during his time here.  We’re currently 7-7 in conference, strictly middle of the pack.  And we’re nearing the end of year six.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2020, 10:31:02 AM »
Your unicorn will stop getting booed when he actually has success.  We’ve dropped three games in a row, will likely be unranked when the new rankings come out, and have never won a Big East title or NCAA Tournament game during his time here.  We’re currently 7-7 in conference, strictly middle of the pack.  And we’re nearing the end of year six.

There is no excuse for booing your team or coach in public.  Period. 

feedback