[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Providence Game Thread  (Read 27486 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: Providence Game Thread
« Reply #350 on: February 22, 2020, 02:54:25 PM »
I think this falls at the feet of weak player development.  These young men were talented in high school - certainly more talented as a collective group than many recruiting classes from Deane, Crean, and Buzz in most cases.  If we could take Wojo's recruiting and Buzz's ability to develop talent...

Not sure I agree that these guys were that talented in high school (relatively speaking of course). Wojo seems to get a lot of credit for his near misses (Grimes, Mannion, etc.). A lot of the guys on this team seem like they were our second and third options in recruiting at the time.

Player development seems to be pretty normal for me. Theo and Sacar have both probably developed more than their projections would have been.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #351 on: February 22, 2020, 03:01:56 PM »
Not sure I agree that these guys were that talented in high school (relatively speaking of course). Wojo seems to get a lot of credit for his near misses (Grimes, Mannion, etc.). A lot of the guys on this team seem like they were our second and third options in recruiting at the time.

Player development seems to be pretty normal for me. Theo and Sacar have both probably developed more than their projections would have been.

I agree with you on near misses and second and third options.  I just recall a number of Crean's classes imploding and Buzz bringing in people who developed into NBA-level talent.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #352 on: February 22, 2020, 03:04:29 PM »
I agree with you on near misses and second and third options.  I just recall a number of Crean's classes imploding and Buzz bringing in people who developed into NBA-level talent.
Selective memory.

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #353 on: February 22, 2020, 03:10:29 PM »
Same here...it's just not worth the time and effort anymore to support a program that is fine with mediocrity.

Show of hands,   How many of you will also considering deleting your MUSCOOP account ?

Maybe just take a break until the Big East tournament starts.

There is nothing healthy for you in  this level of aggravation and frustration.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #354 on: February 22, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »
I could be wrong here but isn't that what Wojo said he wanted to do when he was hired?

If I am right on this, how did we wind up with that horrible slop of an offense we have been running for years?

He did this the first few years. High pressure defense leading to transition. However, we either didn't have the coaching or personnel to run the defense successfully. Defensive system was overhauled to be more passive and the defense improved. The offense has suffered a bit as a result.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #355 on: February 22, 2020, 03:20:14 PM »
For the first time I'm honestly thinking about dropping them. So tired of this.

Sorry to hear that.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #356 on: February 22, 2020, 03:25:43 PM »
Selective memory.

Umm...refresh my memory.  Here's what I recall:

Crean:  2000 and 2001 brought Wade, Meriitt, Deiner, Odartey, Jackson transferred in (2002?), and I am missing a couple that led to a Final Four. Novak came in 2002(?)  Enough said on those early classes, they stand on their own.   I don't think anyone from 2003 made it past two years, 2004 was a complete bust, too.  Had a great 2005 class that stuck together.  Hit on Lazar in 2006 - although Buzz had him his last couple years where he exploded - everyone else "meh...".  On the whole, and I emphasize on the whole, we had huge success (especially early) and some complete misses in other years which averages out.

Buzz:  I don't think he ever landed a recruit or Juco transfer that every one thought was sure fire NBA.  But he developed a number of players to that level. Lazar, JB, Jae.  DJO was close.  I know I am forgetting some.

This is not a complete list but I think it's pretty close to hitting the high (and low) points. 

In my opinion, the years under Wojo have seen a more consistent level of talent entering the program than under Crean and this talent, in general, was more highly regarded that Buzz's recruits.  Again, my opinion.

So, I say again, wish we had Wojo's recruiting and Buzz's talent development.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:28:28 PM by f/k/a humanlung »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #357 on: February 22, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »
Bailey is being coached into oblivion and Anim as well. Pass the ball ,screen for  Markus. Nobody is looking to create their own shot and  no aggressiveness which translates into a lifeless performance
This is exactly right. So much hesitancy and deferment
No Finish Line

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #358 on: February 22, 2020, 03:47:21 PM »
It's just a product of the schedule. Loss to a ranked team on the road, lost to the hottest team in the conference, loss to a team on the road who simply wanted it more. Time to win 3 of 4, 6 or 7 seed in the tourney
Excuses
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #359 on: February 22, 2020, 04:01:16 PM »
Sorry to hear that.

I've been going to games my whole life, have missed one home game in the 13 years I've had season tix.

If they're starting to lose me, I can't imagine what the rest of the ticket base looks like.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #360 on: February 22, 2020, 04:05:27 PM »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #361 on: February 22, 2020, 04:08:31 PM »
I've been going to games my whole life, have missed one home game in the 13 years I've had season tix.

If they're starting to lose me, I can't imagine what the rest of the ticket base looks like.
I've missed 3 home games in the last 17 years. 2 of them because I was at another hoops game across the street. The other because of gull bladder surgery. To big in my life to give it up. Home schedule is stronger next year.
Hang in there! Georgetown on Wednesday.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #362 on: February 22, 2020, 05:17:49 PM »
No kidding. Happen to be in NYC that week and made dinner reservations to take this chick out on Wednesday night when MU was sitting at 7-4. One of those places that you need to reserve 2 months in advance so I bet on Wojos program to finish in the top 6. May have not been the best idea to do that lol

I’m in the same boat, and if they fall to a Wed. game I’m skipping it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #363 on: February 22, 2020, 05:33:35 PM »
Reasons
Reasons for losing are...excuses. And we get plenty of them here. And plenty of losses with Wojo. people need to quit the BSing on the guy. It is long past fish or cut bait time.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #364 on: February 22, 2020, 05:37:10 PM »
Reasons for losing are...excuses. And we get plenty of them here. And plenty of losses with Wojo. people need to quit the BSing on the guy. It is long past fish or cut bait time.
Not necessarily. Sometimes the other teams are just playing better (Nova, CU).  Today, Providence just played hungrier, and had a better game plan. I believe we will win the next 4

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #365 on: February 22, 2020, 05:43:16 PM »
Season ticket holder for 8 years (up to 4 seasons ago) with baseline lower bowl tickets and only missed game when traveling.  Next two years, watched every game on TV in real time and made my schedule fit the game times.   Last 2 seasons, starting to DVR games and not watching some of them as they get run off the court. 

From huge fan to losing interest...  if wojo slides the last games, there may be no interest left...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 07:10:43 PM by PointWarrior »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #366 on: February 22, 2020, 06:56:33 PM »
Season ticket holder for 8 years (up to 4 seasons ago) with baseline lower bowl tickets and only missed game when traveling.  Next two years, watched every game on TV in real time and made my schedule fit the game times.   Last 2 seasons, starting to DVR games and not watching some of them as they get run off the court. 

From huge fan to losing interest...  if wojo slides there last games, there may be no interest left...
He already began the slide 3 games ago. Students posting signs, lots of unhappy fans. We are becoming so mediocre it is pathetic.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #367 on: February 22, 2020, 08:44:49 PM »
m

Cheeks told me to drop mine after last seasons loss in the NCAA tournament, so I did.

But it didnt matter since I was a upper level, 2 seat type of a ticket holder.

I didn’t realize I had such power.  😂
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #368 on: February 22, 2020, 11:28:51 PM »
Is there a post game interview can someone post

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #369 on: February 23, 2020, 12:37:44 AM »
Not necessarily. Sometimes the other teams are just playing better (Nova, CU).  Today, Providence just played hungrier, and had a better game plan. I believe we will win the next 4

Lawdog I hope you are right.  Winning the next four games would help calm the masses for now.  This year coaching-wise is a huge barometer for Wojo going forward.  The trust is waning.  A total collapse this year will be a one of many nails in his coffin.   I believe only wildly exceeding expectations next year would save his job if the administration is serious about being an upper tier Big East team. Need to turn this around starting Wednesday.

Hoping for the best.  Go MU!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #370 on: February 23, 2020, 06:18:36 AM »
Lawdog I hope you are right.  Winning the next four games would help calm the masses for now.  This year coaching-wise is a huge barometer for Wojo going forward.  The trust is waning.  A total collapse this year will be a one of many nails in his coffin.   I believe only wildly exceeding expectations next year would save his job if the administration is serious about being an upper tier Big East team. Need to turn this around starting Wednesday.

We sure as hell wnt win the next 4 with the way we played last 3. And we haven't sniffed upper tier with the Wojo wisdom. At best we are mid pack Big East.
Btw are we not 2-8 against Big East teams above us or tied with us
That is not competing for a title.
Slip Sliding away by Paul Simon
Slippin and Sliding by Little Richard

muguru

• All American
« Reply #371 on: February 23, 2020, 07:30:07 AM »

I'm not sure it will...for some people yes I'm sure it will, but the realists would look at it and understand that IF they won the last 4, three of those would be against Georgetown, St. john's and DePaul...the bottom 3 teams in the Big East. Not exactly impressive, but that's what MU does.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #372 on: February 23, 2020, 07:37:59 AM »
Landing Mane would calm many folks down. Recruiting athletic basketball players will do wonders for this program. Getting Mane is more important to me than running the table over the next two weeks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 08:32:53 AM by Goose »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #373 on: February 23, 2020, 08:14:04 AM »
Landing Mane would calm many folks down. Recruiting athletic basketball players will do wonders for this program. Getting Mabe is more important to me than running the table over the next two weeks.

Couldn't have said it any better myself Goose...again, I'm not going to be impressed winning the last 4 when 3 of them are against the bottom 3 teams in the Big East, isn't that what you are supposed to do??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.