[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by PointWarrior
[Today at 01:43:07 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Tough game at Providence next  (Read 10816 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Tough game at Providence next
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2020, 10:16:05 AM »
If the floor becomes an issue again, I hope MU pulls the team off the floor. That game two years ago was a total farce.

Agreed. That was a ridiculous game. But then again, this is a game against providence, so weird things happen. My prediction? Johnathan Xavier runs on the court dressed as a bat and chucks ice cubes at the players.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2020, 10:29:58 AM »
I don't really give a rat's arse what place we finish in the Big East. There's the regular season champs and 9 runner ups.

So DePaul is a perennial runner up in the Big East. Who knew?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2020, 10:34:52 AM »

Sounds like a line from JLP's year end assessment
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2020, 10:54:42 AM »

Pretty much. Unless you are proposing we start hanging banners for 2nd place Big East finishes
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2020, 11:08:40 AM »
Thanks! I like to think that my posts bring a sort of panache to the board that typically isn't on the board. In a world full of sh*tting on things rather than providing rationality, I think it brightens people's day.

Forget it Jake, it's Scooptown.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2020, 12:59:34 PM »
Conference finish is not a part of the selection committee's criteria.

I understand that.  Wins do matter though.  The more wins you have the higher the seed.    The more wins you have against good (conference) opponents the higher the seed. This will also lead to higher conference standing.  By saying you don’t care where we finish in our conference means something only if you don’t care about more wins and better seeds.  You may not like how it’s stated or phrased and you are correct conference place is not a specific criteria for the committee in the most literal sense but all of it leads to the same goal.  Not sure why there can be debate about this basic fact.  If we are finish .500 in conference and say sixth place this year our seed will be worse than if we finish 11-7 or 10-8 and fourth or fifth. You should only care about conference place as it relates to that. Nothing more.  Just another way for someone to look at wins and losses and seed potential.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2020, 01:11:21 PM »
Pretty much. Unless you are proposing we start hanging banners for 2nd place Big East finishes

No banners, but I disagree with the idea that almost ever year there’s a Villanova and 9 DePauls.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2020, 01:43:59 PM »
No banners, but I disagree with the idea that almost ever year there’s a Villanova and 9 DePauls.

Personally, I just don't care where we finish if it's between 2nd and 6th, especially this year. Finish the year 3-2 and we'll set ourselves up for a solid seed regardless of how Butler, PC, or any of the rest of the teams surrounding us perform.

Winning the conference is obviously meaningful. It's also important to avoid the bottom four so we don't have to play on the first night in NYC. Other than that, I don't care much.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2020, 01:46:29 PM »
Gus, Donny and Katz on the call.  I wonder how badly Donny tries to malign Markus?

https://gomarquette.com/documents/2020/2/20//Marquette_Game_Notes_Providence2_2_22.pdf

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2020, 02:59:44 PM »
Forget it Jake, it's Scooptown.

Fair point. I'll fall in line.

I can't believe Player X is even a D1 athlete. He should be getting less minutes than Player Y, who has been completely underutilized.

With terrible players like this, I will only be satisfied if Marquette goes undefeated for the next 10 seasons. Anything less is horseapples.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2020, 03:26:33 PM »
The first round game in the NCAA tournament is a must-win.  Nothing else leading up to that is a must-win, unless you're shooting for a conference championship, or a top-2 in the conference finish, etc.

Beyond that, if your goal is at least a Sweet-16, then the 2nd round NCAA game is also a must-win.
Rightttt..and we know MU is not shooting for a conference champ  or top 2.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2020, 03:33:57 PM »
Fart noises
Coming from your premature butt.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2020, 03:34:37 PM »
It’s a different year.  Each year is different.  SMH
Such Pearl's of wisdom.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2020, 04:02:55 PM »
Such Pearl's of wisdom.

Thanks!  Who do you want to be the new coach of Marquette?  Who are your top 3 choices?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2020, 05:26:36 PM »
Thanks!  Who do you want to be the new coach of Marquette?  Who are your top 3 choices?
Based on capitalization and use of the possessive, he wants Bruce Pearl.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2020, 07:39:59 PM »
I understand that.  Wins do matter though.  The more wins you have the higher the seed.    The more wins you have against good (conference) opponents the higher the seed. This will also lead to higher conference standing.  By saying you don’t care where we finish in our conference means something only if you don’t care about more wins and better seeds.  You may not like how it’s stated or phrased and you are correct conference place is not a specific criteria for the committee in the most literal sense but all of it leads to the same goal.  Not sure why there can be debate about this basic fact.  If we are finish .500 in conference and say sixth place this year our seed will be worse than if we finish 11-7 or 10-8 and fourth or fifth. You should only care about conference place as it relates to that. Nothing more.  Just another way for someone to look at wins and losses and seed potential.

I mean if you said wins matter, I would of course agree. I just think focusing on what place you are in a conference is silly. Conference strength varies from year to year, for example I think this year's fiftth place team would beat last year's first place team on a neutral court more times than not. You could have years where a 10 win team is in the bottom 4 and years where a 6 win team is in the top 4 (both of those scenarios are extremely unlikely but mathematically possible).

In other words, I think focusing on what place a team finishes in conference is in the same vein as judging a pitcher by how many wins they have. A lot of people do it, doesn't mean its an accurate measure.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2020, 10:52:53 PM »
Fair enough.  TAMU I appreciate your posts.

feedback