Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mc-Dammit  (Read 35891 times)

Boozemon Barro

• All American
Re: Mc-Dammit
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2020, 11:04:27 PM »
What happens if they crap the bed at St Johns and at DePaul - after all, we have been told how hard it is to win road games in the BE?
Really feels like we'll lose at least one of those. Still can't believe we got blown out by Wisconsin and most of the fanbase is just cool with it. Fvck them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2020, 11:05:31 PM »
I think you might have the Georgetown and seton hall games mixed up.

I do, thank you
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2020, 11:08:13 PM »
Huh? I think this season we are the 3rd best (behind Creighton and Seton Hall). I see no reason to expect more in the future. The high mark for Wojo's first recruiting cycle (years 1-3) was a 10 seed. The high water mark for Wojo's second recruiting cycle (years 4-6) is currently a 5 seed (and barring a torrid end to the season will stay there). I expect the high water mark to be even higher for his third recruiting cycle and the 2020 class is a great first step towards that.

Wojo's high water mark for winning tourney games is below sea level. Love it or leave it baby! You're the most counter-productive poster on this board and it ain't close.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2020, 11:11:30 PM »
3.  Markus is getting the crap beat out of him.

He definitely took a hard shot tonight, but it was fine as a no call (from my view in the uppers, anyway). And I think the same was true of the shot to the nose that has now given him the mask. He plays hard and draws a lot of contact, but not everything will always be a foul.

Wojo mentioned in the postgame today that Markus leads the nation in drawing fouls. So the comments about Markus not getting enough foul calls might be a bit overblown. I'd love to see him at the line more often, but when he's already #1 in the country, I think he's getting plenty of calls to go his way.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2020, 11:11:47 PM »
In most cases, a team with the nation's leading scorer / a top NPOY candidate, loaded with upperclassmen and in the top 10 for 3pt shooting would be expected to be pretty dominant, don't you think? Wouldn't expectations be a little higher than just spending a week or two in the rankings and hoping for a 7 seed?

Thank you.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2020, 11:11:53 PM »
Unless you came into this one with a bias, this isn’t a game to trash Wojo. He came in with a defensive game plan that would have kept Creighton in the 60s if not for end-of-game fouling. In the first half they ran an offense that got a ton of open looks.  Plain and simple - the boys couldn’t hit a wide open shot to save their lives.  The design was there, but the execution was not.  They admittedly should have worked the ball inside where they were shooting a really high percentage, but it’s hard to fault the coaches for thinking wide open looks eventually had to fall.  It’s been a tough couple games against two top 20 teams, but it’s far from a disaster. 

And as for the worst era since someone on this board has been alive, feel fortunate you weren’t in the union about ready to rush Wisconsin Avenue because we were about to win the NIT...then we didn’t.  We are a school that can’t fill the student section and can’t get the sweater vests off their seats.  We’ve got a tourney team that may drop the first game or can get hot like the recent run - Better would be great, but anyone better than this runs for the hills anyways.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2020, 11:13:54 PM »
Side note to rough game: was hilarious when Wojo called for the intentional foul but wasn’t in penalty & McDermott just took the big fella out

Do you know what would have happened if anyone else had been fouled?  Think for a minute.  They were trying to GET to the bonus to extend the game.  Didn’t matter who was fouled.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2020, 11:14:23 PM »
What happens if they crap the bed at St Johns and at DePaul - after all, we have been told how hard it is to win road games in the BE?

Depends on what we do with the other 4 games. On their own, losing either of them or both really doesn't hurt us, both are Q1B games. They would be missed opportunities to improve our resume but we wouldn't be "punished" for losing those games. Win the other 4 and we are likely a 5 seed with a shot at a 4 seed depending on the BET and how the teams around us perform. Win 3/4 and we are probably looking at a 6 seed. Win 2/4 and we are looking between a 6 and 7 seed. 1 or less and we the overall record would really drag us down and I could see us falling as low as a 10 seed, but unless there are a lot of bracketbusters, I think we are already in the tournament.
TAMU

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2020, 11:16:48 PM »
Unless you came into this one with a bias, this isn’t a game to trash Wojo. He came in with a defensive game plan that would have kept Creighton in the 60s if not for end-of-game fouling. In the first half they ran an offense that got a ton of open looks.  Plain and simple - the boys couldn’t hit a wide open shot to save their lives.  The design was there, but the execution was not.  They admittedly should have worked the ball inside where they were shooting a really high percentage, but it’s hard to fault the coaches for thinking wide open looks eventually had to fall.  It’s been a tough couple games against two top 20 teams, but it’s far from a disaster. 

And as for the worst era since someone on this board has been alive, feel fortunate you weren’t in the union about ready to rush Wisconsin Avenue because we were about to win the NIT...then we didn’t.  We are a school that can’t fill the student section and can’t get the sweater vests off their seats.  We’ve got a tourney team that may drop the first game or can get hot like the recent run - Better would be great, but anyone better than this runs for the hills anyways.
CU has no one over 6'7" and they completely shut us down at home. Weak. Soft. Weak. Soft. Mentally weak. Physically soft. Physically weak. Mentally soft.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2020, 11:19:28 PM »
Depends on what we do with the other 4 games. On their own, losing either of them or both really doesn't hurt us, both are Q1B games. They would be missed opportunities to improve our resume but we wouldn't be "punished" for losing those games. Win the other 4 and we are likely a 5 seed with a shot at a 4 seed depending on the BET and how the teams around us perform. Win 3/4 and we are probably looking at a 6 seed. Win 2/4 and we are looking between a 6 and 7 seed. 1 or less and we the overall record would really drag us down and I could see us falling as low as a 10 seed, but unless there are a lot of bracketbusters, I think we are already in the tournament.
Loser perspective. Pure poison.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2020, 11:20:34 PM »
Do you know what would have happened if anyone else had been fouled?  Think for a minute.  They were trying to GET to the bonus to extend the game.  Didn’t matter who was fouled.

Yeah, even though I once saw Mac lose a game up 5 with under 1 second to go, we should at least give him the benefit of the doubt that he would have taken the kid that couldn’t shoot free throws out when they got to the bonus.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2020, 11:21:17 PM »
Wojo's high water mark for winning tourney games is below sea level. Love it or leave it baby! You're the most counter-productive poster on this board and it ain't close.

I don't know what "most counter-productive poster" means but thank you?

Yep, Wojo hasn't won any NCAA games. Honestly, I don't care that much in terms of evaluating Wojo's performance so far. I think the idea that beating a 7 seed or a 12 seed somehow changes Wojo's record so far from bad to good is laughable. Best way to win games that matter (Elite 8 or above) is to consistently earn high seeds. You do that and the March wins will come eventually (unless you're Mick Cronin).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:23:39 PM by TAMU Garcia »
TAMU

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2020, 11:22:20 PM »
Loser perspective. Pure poison.
Aw dont like reasonable thought out sentiments? Go grab a coloring book and sit in the corner

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2020, 11:25:05 PM »
CU has no one over 6'7" and they completely shut us down at home. Weak. Soft. Weak. Soft. Mentally weak. Physically soft. Physically weak. Mentally soft.

Are you old enough to remember when Lazar was our center?  Good teams turn their weaknesses into strengths.  This is a very good Creighton team, and we would have had them beaten if we could hit a wide open shot.  If you’ve played sports, you know that sometimes there are nights like this.  Against a really good team, you can’t overcome a night where the open looks aren’t falling. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2020, 11:30:56 PM »
He definitely took a hard shot tonight, but it was fine as a no call (from my view in the uppers, anyway). And I think the same was true of the shot to the nose that has now given him the mask. He plays hard and draws a lot of contact, but not everything will always be a foul.

Wojo mentioned in the postgame today that Markus leads the nation in drawing fouls. So the comments about Markus not getting enough foul calls might be a bit overblown. I'd love to see him at the line more often, but when he's already #1 in the country, I think he's getting plenty of calls to go his way.

He draws a lot of fouls and is a AA and NPOY candidate, so when he’s not getting calls, something feels off. Creighton hedged AGGRESSIVELY at the top of the key and multiple times, especially in the first half, he would get knocked almost off his dribble with no call. Not to mention getting grabbed on handoffs. That plus 2-3 diff drives in the second half where he was fouls going to the rim or shooting without calls. Hell, when Zagarowski fouled him on the drive and he got FTs, i thought it was less contact than multiple other times. It’s certainly not the reason MU lost, but it didn’t help him or the team get in any sort of rhythm.

And that’s going to be a big key for Creighton in the tourney. If they are allowed to play handsy, grabby defense (Huggins era Cincy style), they will take you off your game and succeed. If not, they could be in trouble

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2020, 11:41:06 PM »
A top 25 team and a likely 6 or 7 seed? Yes. That's the program we have. And that's fine.

I agree that we need to win a tournament game this year.

Getting embarrassed in a big game on your home court when you are a 3 point fav is not 'fine".

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2020, 11:45:14 PM »
Aw dont like reasonable thought out sentiments? Go grab a coloring book and sit in the corner
Love being average. Love it. Hate anyone who hates it.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2020, 11:47:02 PM »
Love being average. Love it. Hate anyone who hates it.

This ain't average. We are ranked top 20. 2 losses to top 15 teams and you lose your crapt.what do you expect each year Duke like results

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2020, 11:49:58 PM »
Getting embarrassed in a big game on your home court when you are a 3 point fav is not 'fine".

College kids. Inconsist. Missed open shots. crap happens.

If we're bad on Saturday I'll start getting concerned.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2020, 11:52:29 PM »
I don't know what "most counter-productive poster" means but thank you?

Yep, Wojo hasn't won any NCAA games. Honestly, I don't care that much in terms of evaluating Wojo's performance so far. I think the idea that beating a 7 seed or a 12 seed somehow changes Wojo's record so far from bad to good is laughable. Best way to win games that matter (Elite 8 or above) is to consistently earn high seeds. You do that and the March wins will come eventually (unless you're Mick Cronin).

Yeah tourney games are statistically insignificant in your world. Just one game. You have a large portion of the board buying into your bullshít. Explaining away everything with "metrics" that fit your loser perspective. Pure poison. Wojo can't win when it matters.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2020, 12:03:13 AM »

This ain't average. We are ranked top 20. 2 losses to top 15 teams and you lose your crapt.what do you expect each year Duke like results
What are Marquette like results in your world? Never winning important games?
 Recruiting better than your conference foes and losing? What are our chances of winnimg the Big East tournament right now? >10%? Hey we got great recruits coming in next year! Hopefully we can get an 8 seed and have a good matchup!!

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2020, 12:07:26 AM »
NET ranking is 19.  334 other teams would gladly take MU’s spot in the ranking that matters most to the committee.  Play in the best conference in college basketball and you sometimes lose two in a row...to top 20 teams.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2020, 12:38:26 AM »
NET ranking is 19.  334 other teams would gladly take MU’s spot in the ranking that matters most to the committee.  Play in the best conference in college basketball and you sometimes lose two in a row...to top 20 teams.

This.

Maybe you guys should go cheer for Duke if this isn’t good enough for you.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2020, 12:46:05 AM »
Playing their best ball of the year coming into 2 top league games and could not even compete to be a threat to win in either.   

Wojo = mediocrity.  Get used to it.
I was hoping for a split and I figured we had to beat Villanova to do it. Creighton is a better team than MU, but I do not think Villanova is.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2020, 01:06:07 AM »
Welp, this is a dumpster fire. See y'all Saturday.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.