[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shrink The Student Section  (Read 32548 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Shrink The Student Section
« Reply #200 on: February 23, 2020, 02:44:00 AM »
BM1090

My point in earlier post is maybe the students  have thrown in the towel on Wojo. I was shocked to see X fans camping out for the nova game and was pointed that out for a comparison. We were ranked and playing good teams and the kids did not come out and X sucks and the kids did for them. Just seems to me there be something going on with our students in regards to the program.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #201 on: February 23, 2020, 02:57:08 AM »
BM1090

My point in earlier post is maybe the students  have thrown in the towel on Wojo. I was shocked to see X fans camping out for the nova game and was pointed that out for a comparison. We were ranked and playing good teams and the kids did not come out and X sucks and the kids did for them. Just seems to me there be something going on with our students in regards to the program.

Sounds like they are entitled brats. Give me the X student section over ours
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2020, 06:17:11 AM »
The “Fire Wojo” stuff seems to be led by Barstool Marquette and I’ll leave it at that. There were NO boos for the Creighton game.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2020, 06:30:33 AM »

Sometimes I wonder what goes through someone’s mind when they decide to label the student body of their alma mater as “entitled brats” because they don’t go to a basketball game.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »
BM1090

Thanks for explaining further. If accurate, I'd definitely prefer their fans to ours.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2020, 10:59:23 AM »
They certainly could be, but after seeing how fired up PC fans were today for their bad early losses, wrong side of the bubble team, I'm very disappointed in MU fans not showing up this past week to see two ranked teams play.   I mean, MUs "current state of the program" is better than PC ("currently") and you see how bad fans here act.  I'd prefer fans that support a good team, instead of constantly bitching that the team isn't as good as they think it should be.

Mirrors scoop, eh?

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2020, 11:18:18 AM »

Xavier's non-student fans are also into it and contribute to a great atmosphere at Cintas. I know everyone hates on Dayton fans, and I get it, but their crowd (students and non) totally get into games. Not just this year when they have an outstanding team. It's always that way.

I love MU hoops and Fiserv, but our crowds outside of the student section are largely just spectators passively watching rather than getting into it. I constantly find myself standing and then crouching or sitting back down at big moments in games so I don't block someone's view and very few get up. Our fans generally show up in great numbers and fill seats, but there seems to be an underlying frustration and I'll jump in when you prove it to me attitude rather than a ride or die support my team each game while in the thick of the fight. Currently, we've got a decent shot to go 10-8 or possibly 11-7 in conference and have a decent conf tourney seed. I would hope people help push the team toward that rather than pack it in or wait and see because we've lost 3 in a row and aren't where we want to be. Whether it is entitlement or just pent up frustration, that is where our fan base frustrates me at times.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2020, 12:27:34 PM »
The “Fire Wojo” stuff seems to be led by Barstool Marquette and I’ll leave it at that. There were NO boos for the Creighton game.

Nothing good comes from anything affiliated with Barstool.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2020, 12:49:54 PM »
Sometimes I wonder what goes through someone’s mind when they decide to label the student body of their alma mater as “entitled brats” because they don’t go to a basketball game.
The student section consists of those that Scoop elitists want.  To many students with no MU connection until they got on campus.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »
The student section consists of those that Scoop elitists want.  To many students with no MU connection until they got on campus.

What’s wrong with that? I had no MU connection and went to games all seven  semesters I was there, all during the Deane years.

Only wanting MU legacy kids on campus sounds pretty damn elitist.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #210 on: February 23, 2020, 01:15:09 PM »
I'm far from a legacy kid.  I became a Warrior fan because of how good MU was in the 70's.  My parents didn't contribute a dime to my college education.  I was acccepted to UW. My Dad thought I was nuts for going to Marquette.

You are to be commended.  What attracted you to MU?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #211 on: February 23, 2020, 01:59:24 PM »
I'm far from a legacy kid.  I became a Warrior fan because of how good MU was in the 70's.  My parents didn't contribute a dime to my college education.  I was acccepted to UW. My Dad thought I was nuts for going to Marquette.

You are to be commended.  What attracted you to MU?

Legacy doesn’t mean coming from money. Anyone with a familial connection to MU is categorized as a “legacy” by admissions. That’s what I’m referring to.

Not having a previous connection does not prevent one from becoming a big fan once enrolled. You can have school pride in many facets of the school for whatever reason one chose to attend.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 02:44:54 PM by Billy Hoyle »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2020, 02:03:08 PM »

A bunch of the students that do go say the same things about the entitled brats.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2020, 02:06:54 PM »

Why does that matter.  I came from 2000 miles away and was the first student to buy tickets two years in a row...MU Tribune photo to prove it as I lined up around 4:00am.

Xavier’s arena is on campus.  Providence home crowd on national TV playing a ranked team with ncaa hopes on the line...they did what I would expect them to.  They are hungry and not entitled like so many of our fans are.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2020, 12:25:00 PM »
Have gone to a few big Bucks games this year (Bucks/76ers for example) and the building just does not get LOUD like it did for peak BC games. Don't get me wrong, when everyone was into it you could hear it, but they won't be pulling out any "Decibel Meters" or anything like that. And all the Bucks games are sellouts.

Unsurprising then that the usual 14-15k at a Marquette game don't exactly create an intimidating atmosphere.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2020, 12:36:05 PM »
Have gone to a few big Bucks games this year (Bucks/76ers for example) and the building just does not get LOUD like it did for peak BC games. Don't get me wrong, when everyone was into it you could hear it, but they won't be pulling out any "Decibel Meters" or anything like that. And all the Bucks games are sellouts.

Unsurprising then that the usual 14-15k at a Marquette game don't exactly create an intimidating atmosphere.

Is part of it the sound being directed more towards the court? The BC was so cavernous, the sound went up. I wonder if it’s louder on the court than the BC. This is just a unscientific speculation from a lifetime upper bowler.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »
Went with friends to DePaul game, sat in last row of upper deck. It was louder then anything I remember at the BC.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2020, 01:45:27 PM »
Went with friends to DePaul game, sat in last row of upper deck. It was louder then anything I remember at the BC.

Just goes to show how people can perceive things differently. I was also at the DePaul game this year, didn't think it was nearly as loud as when Mike Kinsella sunk his second 3-pointer on Senior Day against Pitt in 2007. That's the loudest I've heard a stadium, followed by Bucks/76ers in the Conference Finals in 2001.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:48:44 PM by DienerTime34 »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2020, 01:53:09 PM »
Just goes to show how people can perceive things differently. I was also at the DePaul game this year, didn't think it was nearly as loud as when Mike Kinsella sunk his second 3-pointer on Senior Day against Pitt in 2007.

Both were very loud.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2020, 02:13:25 PM »
Just goes to show how people can perceive things differently. I was also at the DePaul game this year, didn't think it was nearly as loud as when Mike Kinsella sunk his second 3-pointer on Senior Day against Pitt in 2007. That's the loudest I've heard a stadium, followed by Bucks/76ers in the Conference Finals in 2001.

Smh
A depaul game versus a evening college game day game versus a ranked Pitt?!

I literally cannot think of a worse comparison
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2020, 02:26:49 PM »

I was unware there was a barstool marquette. This also makes sense now, given that barstool is basically the worst parts of sports yelling radio housed in one neat package.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2020, 02:51:12 PM »
I was unware there was a barstool marquette. This also makes sense now, given that barstool is basically the worst parts of sports yelling radio housed in one neat package.

"Barstool Marquette" would simply be a MU student who acts as a "viceroy" in operating a social media account under that name and making sure the Barstool brand has a presence there. Corporate Barstool Sports is too busy making ridiculous amounts of money to be concerned with who the coach is at Marquette. That is a student pushing the fire Wojo nonsense, granted a student with a bigger platform than most because anything related to the Barstool brand is huge at just about every college and will have plenty of followers.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2020, 03:01:55 PM »
Just looked at that barstool account on Twitter. It might be the worst fan social media thing ever to be associated with Marquette
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2020, 06:04:57 PM »
I have sat next to the student sections for 15 years and have never seen it, especially in a conference game with a couple of minutes to go down only two possessions.  Which games?

Blackheart gets older, the students stay the same age.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2020, 06:18:41 PM »
Blackheart gets older, the students stay the same age.

The walker is the same age, though.