[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shrink The Student Section  (Read 32553 times)

Litehouse

• All American
Re: Shrink The Student Section
« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2020, 10:18:58 AM »
From a revenue standpoint, it all comes down to Sec. 122.  There are 264 seats in that section, and they could get at least $900 for those season tickets.  That's $237,600 in additional revenue.  Expanding the student section on one side (109-114) and opening up 101 & 121 for season tickets would probably be a wash.

As others mentioned, consolidating the students would help with the atmosphere.  They're spread a little too thin right now.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2020, 10:44:10 AM »
Jesus this argument is still going? The student section is fine.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2020, 11:18:55 AM »
Where is this general public bottled up demand for MU tickets? John & Mary Milwaukee aren't stormin' the Fiserv doors to bust in. Don't see it, hey?

I'm saying if the students don't buy them, offer them to the public at student prices! There is a lack of affordable options for John and Mary, and this just might fit the bill.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2020, 11:30:26 AM »
Where is this general public bottled up demand for MU tickets? John & Mary Milwaukee aren't stormin' the Fiserv doors to bust in. Don't see it, hey?
I think the Bucks’ recent success also comes into play here. ~10 years ago, when the Bucks sucked and MU was good, Mary Milwaukee would spend her time and $ on an MU game rather than a sub .500 Bucks team. Now Mary wants to see Giannis and wouldn’t go two nights later to see Markus even if she had free tickets.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2020, 12:01:41 PM »
Here is a fun fact: MU brings in more cash in just one row of floor seats than the entire student section altogether.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2020, 01:54:08 PM »
Here is a fun fact: MU brings in more cash in just one row of floor seats than the entire student section altogether.

Let's make the court bigger so we can jam in more floor seats!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2020, 01:57:58 PM »
Play the games in the Old Gym. Have students line up down the long, narrow, low ceiling hallway in the basement starting from the back claustrophobic weight room being shared by half a dozen MU athletic teams at the same time. Good times.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2020, 02:02:46 PM »
The other factor with students, (and I'm just speculating) but as the parent of a 20-year-old college student who loves basketball, is the 21 drinking age. These kids who are under 21 can get together in their apartments/dorms and drink cheaply and watch the games on TV.  Why go to the arena?  I know, they could get boozed up at home before the games, spend 2 hours sobering up at the game, then resume the partying after.  But I suspect a lot of them never make it out of the dorms.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2020, 02:16:32 PM »
The other factor with students, (and I'm just speculating) but as the parent of a 20-year-old college student who loves basketball, is the 21 drinking age. These kids who are under 21 can get together in their apartments/dorms and drink cheaply and watch the games on TV.  Why go to the arena?  I know, they could get boozed up at home before the games, spend 2 hours sobering up at the game, then resume the partying after.  But I suspect a lot of them never make it out of the dorms.
Yeah, but it's been that way for 35 years.  Although I could see how increased security and metal detectors at the arena making it more difficult for carry-ins could have an impact.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2020, 02:48:35 PM »
Yeah, but it's been that way for 35 years.  Although I could see how increased security and metal detectors at the arena making it more difficult for carry-ins could have an impact.

Litehouse, back in our day, you didn't need to carry in. The drinking age was 18 and while I don't remember exactly, my guess is that a beer at Mecca was about a buck.

Legal or not, the day my college-age kid pays $11 for a beer is the day I decide he or she has too much spending money.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2020, 03:12:11 PM »
Litehouse, back in our day, you didn't need to carry in. The drinking age was 18 and while I don't remember exactly, my guess is that a beer at Mecca was about a buck.

Legal or not, the day my college-age kid pays $11 for a beer is the day I decide he or she has too much spending money.

But we had to drink the beer in the MECCA concession hallways...but we could light up a coffin nail at our seats. How times have changed.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2020, 03:20:48 PM »

To be fair have you seen the attempts at carding at the Fiserv or the Bradley? I used a fake Id my freshman year that was literally laminated and it worked so 18 isn't stopping people. Of course it was 6.50 for a 24oz back then.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2020, 09:17:57 AM »
In my opinion, a college aged kid that doesn't want to go to a game because they can't drink at it is either not a sports fan or has a serious alcohol problem.  I knew a lot of people who really liked to drink but were able to last 3 hours without it while watching a crappy basketball team. I'm sure there are many reasons kids don't go to games, but I seriously doubt that is anywhere near the most common reason

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2020, 09:34:46 AM »
In my opinion, a college aged kid that doesn't want to go to a game because they can't drink at it is either not a sports fan or has a serious alcohol problem.  I knew a lot of people who really liked to drink but were able to last 3 hours without it while watching a crappy basketball team. I'm sure there are many reasons kids don't go to games, but I seriously doubt that is anywhere near the most common reason

Lol, you must’ve been fun at parties at college.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2020, 09:42:30 AM »
To be fair have you seen the attempts at carding at the Fiserv or the Bradley? I used a fake Id my freshman year that was literally laminated and it worked so 18 isn't stopping people. Of course it was 6.50 for a 24oz back then.

boots were made for just walking man...you could fit 4 or 5 "airline" hitters in each boot.  if you primed yourself properly before the game, those 8-10 lil guys were enough to get you and a couple of drinkin pals thru till the fat lady started singing anyway
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2020, 02:32:38 PM »
Serious question, could the be students fed up with the state of program? Fire Wojo signs and booing is the norm at MU and has not been seen since Dukiet.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2020, 03:12:30 PM »
Serious question, could the be students fed up with the state of program? Fire Wojo signs and booing is the norm at MU and has not been seen since Dukiet.

I’m a little nervous for boos on Wednesday. But then again, I don’t know if enough students will show up that it’s noticeable. MU desperately needs to beat Georgetown to stop the skid.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2020, 03:19:06 PM »
I’m a little nervous for boos on Wednesday. But then again, I don’t know if enough students will show up that it’s noticeable. MU desperately needs to beat Georgetown to stop the skid.

Just realizing now how big the Georgetown game has become for our NCAA hopes. Many on here will laugh and point to the “weak bubble” and assure us that MU is safely in the field, but losing this one puts us at 17-10 with our last 3 games being played as the underdog most likely.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2020, 03:19:27 PM »

The boos are going to be brutal. I still don't agree with it but I at least understand it on a 3 game skid.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2020, 04:21:59 PM »
Wow. Just wow.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2020, 06:24:50 PM »

Perhaps. The declining student attendance sure speaks for itself.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2020, 07:53:01 PM »
79warrior

I actually applaud the students for taking a stance. For the last few years the program has been in quick sand and no one has better pulse than kids on campus. Xavier has a crap team this year and kids camped out for game today and our kids are booing and putting up Fire Wojo signs, good for them.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2020, 08:17:03 PM »
Keep in mind that good student seats is no different from any other student service on campus.  You want to give your students a great, memorable experience.

Why?

Most practically, because today's students are tomorrow's alums (read: $$$).

Cutting out student seats for John & Mary Milwaukee strikes me as short-sighted, even if they did exist.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2020, 11:15:07 PM »

They certainly could be, but after seeing how fired up PC fans were today for their bad early losses, wrong side of the bubble team, I'm very disappointed in MU fans not showing up this past week to see two ranked teams play.   I mean, MUs "current state of the program" is better than PC ("currently") and you see how bad fans here act.  I'd prefer fans that support a good team, instead of constantly bitching that the team isn't as good as they think it should be.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2020, 11:21:46 PM »
79warrior

I actually applaud the students for taking a stance. For the last few years the program has been in quick sand and no one has better pulse than kids on campus. Xavier has a crap team this year and kids camped out for game today and our kids are booing and putting up Fire Wojo signs, good for them.

I'm a bit confused by this. Are you saying Xavier fans should also be booing? They have a team that will likely sneak into the tournament but they are camping out. Our fans can't be bothered to stop booing despite a better team.

I'd rather have their fans than ours.

feedback