[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shrink The Student Section  (Read 32552 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Shrink The Student Section
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2020, 09:59:43 AM »
I have sat next to the student sections for 15 years and have never seen it, especially in a conference game with a couple of minutes to go down only two possessions.  Which games?

Honestly, I didn’t bring much energy during the game. I don’t know if it was the ugly start by both teams or what. I feel TAMU’s post nailed it where there’s hesitancy to jump on the bandwagon. After a lot of marquee wins, the team doesn’t really build on it. The 6-1 stretch was great, but riding that into beating Nova on the road or another big win at home would have been huge.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2020, 10:00:40 AM »
I have sat next to the student sections for 15 years and have never seen it, especially in a conference game with a couple of minutes to go down only two possessions.  Which games?

Well, I have missed 3 home games since 2003. The students sitting during a timeout when the fight song is being played has been happening since 2015.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:04:41 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2020, 10:05:54 AM »
Honestly, I didn’t bring much energy during the game. I don’t know if it was the ugly start by both teams or what. I feel TAMU’s post nailed it where there’s hesitancy to jump on the bandwagon. After a lot of marquee wins, the team doesn’t really build on it. The 6-1 stretch was great, but riding that into beating Nova on the road or another big win at home would have been huge.
Yeah I think this is what people mean when they say we don’t win big games. Of course we’ve won some big games when we’ve been desperate for a win i.e. at home vs Nova this year. But we don’t win pivotal games often enough. The kind of games that allow us to take the next step. @ Nova and last night are perfect examples.
No Finish Line

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2020, 10:06:37 AM »
At a normal cost which would be $53 pet ticket. OK, maybe four games. Villanova, DePaul, Butler and Seton Hall.

Looks like student tickets are $140.  So you would make $72 a seat per assuming you can only sell it to those 4 games.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2020, 10:40:53 AM »
Well, I have missed 3 home games since 2003. The students sitting during a timeout when the fight song is being played has been happening since 2015.

Since Wojo then?  His first season did have some boos...I don’t recall apathy. As I said, I have never noticed this in a Big East home game for sure...even during break. In fact, I think the two of the three rowdiest FF crowds were “Be a Student” games (Buffalo and Nova this year...with Wisconsin).

I will pay more attention in the upcoming games as maybe the loss spotlight just made it stand-out...although every one by me thought the same as me.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2020, 11:17:57 AM »
-Double bonus night on your points.
What the fook are your "points?"  How lame of a 20 year-old do you have to be to care about double coupon night?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2020, 11:45:14 AM »
I feel we go over this same topic every single year (Except its usually mid January when somebody brings it up)

1. The attendance has been great all year
2. The students have apathy? The board has apathy.
3. The students outnumber the sweaters in a ratio.
4. IT WAS A TUESDAY NIGHT!
5. IT WAS A TUESDAY NIGHT FOR A PROGRAM THAT HASN'T WON A TOURNAMENT GAME SINCE BEFORE THE SUPER SENIORS IN ATTENDANCE

BONUS
6. Put the product and excitement we used to have and the students will show back up.
7. IT WAS A TUESDAY NIGHT

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2020, 11:58:55 AM »
I feel we go over this same topic every single year (Except its usually mid January when somebody brings it up)

1. The attendance has been great all year
2. The students have apathy? The board has apathy.
3. The students outnumber the sweaters in a ratio.
4. IT WAS A TUESDAY NIGHT!
5. IT WAS A TUESDAY NIGHT FOR A PROGRAM THAT HASN'T WON A TOURNAMENT GAME SINCE BEFORE THE SUPER SENIORS IN ATTENDANCE

BONUS
6. Put the product and excitement we used to have and the students will show back up.
7. IT WAS A TUESDAY NIGHT

Yup. Dumb thread.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2020, 12:06:35 PM »
I disagree that it's a dumb thread. The apathy on social media(including this board) and in person is the highest I've experienced in the 20+ years of being a fan and to me it seems totally disconnected from the reality of where the program is. Some of it is tied to Wojo I'm sure but I'm not sure that all of it is. The question is, is it a societal trend, unique to MU, or some set of other factors.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2020, 12:14:41 PM »
It is interesting to me that people think MU getting a #19 ranking for a week or two is going to suddenly change interest in the program. It is fun for fans like us who follow MU closely regardless, but it means next to nothing for casual fans or students who have witnessed exactly zero NCAA tournament wins during their time at Marquette (or even since they started high school, sadly).

It isn't rocket science. When we were making Sweet 16s, enthusiasm was up. If we start doing that again, people will care, and students will fill the student section. Sure, you could trim the student section, or the team could start winning in March.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:17:22 PM by Coleman »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2020, 12:17:28 PM »
It is interesting to me that people think MU getting a #19 ranking for a week or two is going to suddenly change interest in the program. It is fun for fans like us who follow MU closely regardless, but it means next to nothing for casual fans or students who have witnessed exactly zero NCAA tournament wins during their time at Marquette (or even since they started high school, sadly).

It isn't rocket science. When we were making Sweet 16s, enthusiasm was up. If we start doing that again, people will care, and students will fill the student section. Sure, you could trim the student section, or the team could start winning.
And the past two games show why. It’s very possible we drop another Saturday making 3 straight losses after cracking the top 25, and we’ll likely fall back out. I agree it takes more than that to fuel genuine enthusiasm particularly after the drought of postseason success under Wojo.
No Finish Line

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2020, 12:19:08 PM »
I also think this isn't a problem unique to Marquette.  Attendance at college basketball games has been dropping for awhile across the board.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2020, 12:21:07 PM »

It isn't rocket science. When we were making Sweet 16s, enthusiasm was up. If we start doing that again, people will care, and students will fill the student section. Sure, you could trim the student section, or the team could start winning in March.

True dat. Usually the quickest way to generate enthusiasm in any sport is to win. But, the team has been winning and this was an important game. Regardless, the bricklayer convention from the outset kept the crowd out of this game. Tough night to have a dismal shooting performance.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2020, 03:53:57 PM »

THIS. Same goes for the notion that students should show up because MU is playing "#15 Creighton." Creighton may mean something to folks like us who play close attention to college bball, but most people don't give a crap about Creighton because, well, because it's Creighton. Students not showing up on a cold Tuesday night in February is a nothingburger.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2020, 04:17:26 PM »
THIS. Same goes for the notion that students should show up because MU is playing "#15 Creighton." Creighton may mean something to folks like us who play close attention to college bball, but most people don't give a crap about Creighton because, well, because it's Creighton. Students not showing up on a cold Tuesday night in February is a nothingburger.

You are right. #15 Creighton is not going to outdraw unranked Louisville, unranked Syracuse, or unranked Notre Dame. The Big East is awesome this year and I am really enjoying it, but it just doesn't have the same number of big names that draw casual fans.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2020, 04:18:38 PM »
This is true, most casual fans (which includes most students) are more attracted by name than the actual status of the team.  Fans and students would show up in greater numbers for a team like UNC or UCLA, even though they're both pretty bad this year.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2020, 04:54:18 PM »

Attendance in all sports tends to go up when top teams play one another. You don't need to closely follow college basketball to realize two top 25 teams should be a better game to watch than two bad teams.

Students not showing up for one of the biggest games of the year is a little concerning. I'm not ready to shrink the student section over it, but it's a trend that should be addressed. Or at least attempt to be addressed.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2020, 04:58:48 PM »
I think we're at a point where students are not coming out in full force unless its a Saturday.  Every generation made excuses to skip weeknights and this generation makes a lot more of them.  That said I think the tarps do a good job branding the arena,and they create a false fullness to the upper deck.  Beyond that I like having students in both endzones.  It creates energy on two sides of the arena instead of one. 

My advice, keep working the kids (incentives, communication, transportation) but understand 1900 might just be your M-Thurs reality.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2020, 05:01:03 PM »
I also think this isn't a problem unique to Marquette.  Attendance at college basketball games has been dropping for awhile across the board.

I think this is probably the biggest factor. I haven't see any data on it nationwide, but I can say from personal experience that TAMU student attendance and energy is down across the board except in football. And it might be slightly down in football, hard to tell since there are so many of them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2020, 05:04:37 PM »
Just quit introducing them as the “best student section in the country.” Maybe say, “and the students who decided to show up today. “

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2020, 05:22:47 PM »
The result of 65 inch HD 1 inch thick smart tvs eh?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2020, 06:27:17 PM »
Just quit introducing them as the “best student section in the country.” Maybe say, “and the students who decided to show up today. “

💯💯💯
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »
Back when I was in school we walked two miles uphill though the snow to every game at the Bradley Center!

And we sat along the side, not in the end zone.  And we had dates, and we wore suits.
It was class.
Now it's like Princeton, brovo, brovo.
The audience reacts to good plays, it does not generate enthusiasm. 
I went to my 50th anniversary, what a bunch of "successful" stiffs.
As someone here has said, mission accomplished, M.U. is now a nerd school.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2020, 06:40:08 PM »
The rowdiness stopped when Larry Williams stopped the "hey! you suck!" during that one song. Then it continued to get worse and worse, now it's depressing that they have an instructional cheering video for the students before the game
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback