[Today at 02:05:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT: Jay Wright to the Knicks??  (Read 18397 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: OT: Jay Wright to the Knicks??
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2020, 10:37:51 AM »
Except it is controlled by contracts and limited teams.....that won’t be the case in college hoops where no contracts exist and players can leave each year....MASSIVE difference.  You also have a draft, much different than recruiting with guaranteed talent coming in yearly.

See Lakers, LBJ if you think that is bliss. Cartels of a different form, but cartels none-the-less.  I love your concepts on a free market economy.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »
Why is it, as always, must you frame these discussions 100 percent around what's best for the highly paid coaches and wealthy institutions, and never, ever wants in the best interests of the players?

To Cheeks, nothing tastes sweeter than the bottom of a boot

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2020, 12:27:51 PM »
The Knicks ownership is a train wreck and has been for a long time.  And I think I am being charitable with that term.

IF Wright moves and if he is successful with the conditions he will be working under, whoever said he will be a legend is spot on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2020, 12:45:12 PM »
Didn't they just hire a GM?

Sure, but since when has Dolan had a plan?

The Knicks ownership is a train wreck and has been for a long time.  And I think I am being charitable with that term.

IF Wright moves and if he is successful with the conditions he will be working under, whoever said he will be a legend is spot on.

Don't forget that just a few years ago, Phil Jackson went there to run basketball operations. He got an insane amount of money. It ended up being a shyte-show, and Jackson moved on. It will have been a teeny, tiny blip on his resume; nobody will argue he is any less a legend for having done it -- and he left with tens of millions of Dolan Dollars in his bank account.

If Wright still loves coaching college ball and he doesn't want to mess with the NBA at all, he will stay at Nova; he has everything he needs right there. If he wants a different challenge while he is still young enough to give it his full energy, and he wants the added benefit of zillions of buckaroos, the NBA might interest him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2020, 01:59:46 PM »
Sure, but since when has Dolan had a plan?

Don't forget that just a few years ago, Phil Jackson went there to run basketball operations. He got an insane amount of money. It ended up being a shyte-show, and Jackson moved on. It will have been a teeny, tiny blip on his resume; nobody will argue he is any less a legend for having done it -- and he left with tens of millions of Dolan Dollars in his bank account.

If Wright still loves coaching college ball and he doesn't want to mess with the NBA at all, he will stay at Nova; he has everything he needs right there. If he wants a different challenge while he is still young enough to give it his full energy, and he wants the added benefit of zillions of buckaroos, the NBA might interest him.

I remember it well.  What I can't remember is if he was before or after Isiah Thomas - perhaps the biggest GOAT hire by Dolan.   To be clear, in this case "GOAT" means Gag On A Turd.

panda

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 02:01:29 PM »
I think Wright tests the NBA at some point. Having said that, there is a zero percent chance anyone with half a brain goes to the Knicks as long as Dolan is running the show.

Uncle Rico

• All American
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 02:15:03 PM »
I think Wright tests the NBA at some point. Having said that, there is a zero percent chance anyone with half a brain goes to the Knicks as long as Dolan is running the show.

Well, I'd argue that Phil Jackson has more than half a brain, given that he is one of the two best coaches in NBA history.

He went, he experienced some frustrations, he bolted. He emerged with his reputation 100% intact, and tens of millions of dollars more.

Sounds pretty smart to me.

panda

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »
Well, I'd argue that Phil Jackson has more than half a brain, given that he is one of the two best coaches in NBA history.

He went, he experienced some frustrations, he bolted. He emerged with his reputation 100% intact, and tens of millions of dollars more.

Sounds pretty smart to me.

So knowing how frustrating Phil Jackson's tenure was, why would Jay Wright hypothetically want to endure the same levels of gross incompetence?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 02:33:33 PM »
Why is it, as always, must you frame these discussions 100 percent around what's best for the highly paid coaches and wealthy institutions, and never, ever what's in the best interests of the players?

Why is it that you don’t care about what this will do to mid majors, small schools and the best interests of those entities?  If anything, you sure seem to be advocating for the haves and sharing on the have nots or the tweeners
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 02:35:28 PM »

I have a solution!  Treat players like employees and allow them to form a union!  That way they could develop a collective bargaining agreement just like the players have in the NBA that could limit movement.

But I'm sure that's a bad idea too right?

I have a solution, too....the NBA can create a minor league system and if you want to be paid go get paid by them. You want an education, go to college.  Plenty of paths. 

The federal courts have ruled they are not employees for a reason....so yes it is a terrible idea and will ultimately relinquish opportunities mostly for women and minorities in athletics.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 02:37:55 PM »
Or in college basketball and football coaching, where there is total free agency.

Even coaches with 5+ years on their contracts can leave, as long as their new employers are willing to pay the buyouts ... which almost all are.

The idea of any college coach complaining about player free agency is one of the biggest jokes in history. Lots of them are hypocrites who demand loyalty from everybody but themselves.

Totally false.  There is not total free agency and it is ridiculous and a plain lie to say there is.  See Steve Alford...his buyout clause was so high even if we wanted to leave he couldn’t because no one was picking up the costs.   Your suggestion anyone can leave at any time is absurd.

Some can, and their new school will pick up the buyout, but that is a far cry from total free agency that you stated. Absolutely wrong and absurd comment by you.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2020, 02:39:11 PM »
Apparently he dislikes the NBA more. Can't relate to the players among his issues. Word is he is very unhappy. Not sure his narrative fits your agenda.

He dislikes a bunch of over paid players that don’t listen to the coach and mail it in because they have a guaranteed contract?  I am shocked by this.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2020, 02:40:46 PM »
To Cheeks, nothing tastes sweeter than the bottom of a boot

Ellenson loves the 1%, thr programs that will be decimated and the scholarships that go with them....F those kids...right Ellenson?  F them.   You and others want to take care of the 1%....it truly is amazing

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2020, 02:48:04 PM »
So knowing how frustrating Phil Jackson's tenure was, why would Jay Wright hypothetically want to endure the same levels of gross incompetence?

Three reasons:

1. $$$$$$$$$$

2. The challenge. These guys (even the nice ones like Jay) have big egos. They are competitive and driven. And they believe that just because 1 or 5 or 10 guys failed, it doesn't mean they will fail. The Cubs hadn't won in a century, yet they were able to lure the guy who was considered "the best manager available" three times in the last 20 years -- Baker, Piniella, Maddon. Each came knowing it had been a dumpster fire. Each was paid handsomely. Each figured that HE would be the one to bring that elusive championship. Just one example. Plenty of others. Including Phil Jackson. And Pitino. And Calipari. Etc, etc, etc.

3. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2020, 02:52:04 PM »
Why is it that you don’t care about what this will do to mid majors, small schools and the best interests of those entities?  If anything, you sure seem to be advocating for the haves and sharing on the have nots or the tweeners

Because I believe your "sky is falling" chicken little ramblings are pure nonsense unsupported by any facts, evidence or historical precedent. It's at best groundless speculation, and more likely pure fiction by a perpetual defender of the status quo.
Rather, I believe mid-majors and small schools quite possibly will benefit by relaxed transfer rules that will allow them to add major-program players who more playing opportunities but don;t want to spend a year away from the game to get them.

Now, if you could please answer the question ... why is it your sole concern here is the well being is the six- and seven-figure coaches and the wealthy institutions, and not the best interests of the players?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2020, 02:54:23 PM »
See Lakers, LBJ if you think that is bliss. Cartels of a different form, but cartels none-the-less.  I love your concepts on a free market economy.

No such thing as a free market, said that many times and we all know that is the case.

You think the Milwaukee Bucks would be in first place right now without the current system?  Not a chance in hell.

The NBA and every pro sports league secures talent long term contractually...this proposed nonsense some people here want for college would be each year movement.  Couldn’t be more different if you tried.

Imagine the NBA having a situation where each year a guy could change teams...LOL....oh what fun that would be.  Small market teams would be destroyed.  The same will happen to smaller and mid level NCAA teams.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2020, 02:56:55 PM »
He dislikes a bunch of over paid players that don’t listen to the coach and mail it in because they have a guaranteed contract?  I am shocked by this.

He dislikes the fact that he arrived in the NBA to discover it's a helluva lot harder coaching against Greg Popovich, Nick Nurse and Mike Budenholzer than Chris Collins, Fran McCaffery and Greg Gard.
But sure, Beilein isn't the problem. The players are.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2020, 03:08:27 PM »
No such thing as a free market, said that many times and we all know that is the case.

You think the Milwaukee Bucks would be in first place right now without the current system?  Not a chance in hell.

The NBA and every pro sports league secures talent long term contractually...this proposed nonsense some people here want for college would be each year movement.  Couldn’t be more different if you tried.

Imagine the NBA having a situation where each year a guy could change teams...LOL....oh what fun that would be.  Small market teams would be destroyed.  The same will happen to smaller and mid level NCAA teams.

It’s called the law of supply and demand. Does D1 college basketball really need 353 teams? Does D1 college football really need schools out of the P5, especially when the same few teams are always the winner?

Or, if they really cared about a free market, why don’t they reduce the number of scholarships available to spread the wealth and make sure all those other schools share in that DTV money? Or allow high school players to go right to the NBA? Or allow star players to get paid for their likenesses?

The answer: They are a cartel...and are trying control their haul. Did Northwestern football really need a $260 million football complex that’s ten times nicer than the Chicago Bears’ facilities?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2020, 03:14:51 PM »
Yeah, we knew that.  Reply #3 above.
Nice house. Has Wojo lisred his yet?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »
Just checked in and saw the ad for his house.  That house is completely staged, no one living there.  No personal items, photos, food, etc.  He's already living somewhere else.  Someone said his kids are grown and he's downsizing?  Makes total sense.

We've seen the article and immediate attacked each other.  Trolls go back to bed.  The sun is still up!

Go Marquette!  Beat Creighton!

(But … You never know …)

panda

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2020, 03:44:39 PM »
Three reasons:

1. $$$$$$$$$$

2. The challenge. These guys (even the nice ones like Jay) have big egos. They are competitive and driven. And they believe that just because 1 or 5 or 10 guys failed, it doesn't mean they will fail. The Cubs hadn't won in a century, yet they were able to lure the guy who was considered "the best manager available" three times in the last 20 years -- Baker, Piniella, Maddon. Each came knowing it had been a dumpster fire. Each was paid handsomely. Each figured that HE would be the one to bring that elusive championship. Just one example. Plenty of others. Including Phil Jackson. And Pitino. And Calipari. Etc, etc, etc.

3. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jay Wright is competent enough to realize James Dolan is one of the worst owners in all of sports and the deck is stacked against him from day 1. No coach in their right mind would go to the Knicks as long as Dolan is around.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2020, 03:47:49 PM »
Just checked in and saw the ad for his house.  That house is completely staged, no one living there.  No personal items, photos, food, etc.  He's already living somewhere else.  Someone said his kids are grown and he's downsizing?  Makes total sense.

We've seen the article and immediate attacked each other.  Trolls go back to bed.  The sun is still up!

Go Marquette!  Beat Creighton!

(But … You never know …)
That's how clean I keep my house, especially with two pre-teen children

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2020, 04:25:49 PM »
Because I believe your "sky is falling" chicken little ramblings are pure nonsense unsupported by any facts, evidence or historical precedent. It's at best groundless speculation, and more likely pure fiction by a perpetual defender of the status quo.
Rather, I believe mid-majors and small schools quite possibly will benefit by relaxed transfer rules that will allow them to add major-program players who more playing opportunities but don;t want to spend a year away from the game to get them.

Now, if you could please answer the question ... why is it your sole concern here is the well being is the six- and seven-figure coaches and the wealthy institutions, and not the best interests of the players?

That’s not my sole concern and has never been my sole concern....EVER.  I believe free agency will tear teams apart, the haves will benefit as good players move up, while teams are raided they will be hurt.  Bad players will stay or move down.   

That will ultimately cause fans of mid major schools and some high majors that are raided to give up....that will lead to schools moving to D2, reduced scholarships and opportunities.

I don’t particularly care if you don’t believe me, but those are my concerns.  And when Mike and others say Free Agency didn’t destroy pro sports they are comparing an orange to an avocado.  Pro sports has a draft and contracts, college sports does not.  Pro sports are guaranteed a shot at good players each year, college are not.  Pro sports can lock in their best players under contract, colleges cannot. It absolutely will wreak havoc on college sports, and it absolutely will not benefit the smaller schools.

So you couldn’t be more wrong again...that is where my concerns are...and they certainly aren’t with the big boys and rich schools that you see to want to benefit in this arrangement because those are the schools that will benefit.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 04:29:19 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2020, 04:27:34 PM »
He dislikes the fact that he arrived in the NBA to discover it's a helluva lot harder coaching against Greg Popovich, Nick Nurse and Mike Budenholzer than Chris Collins, Fran McCaffery and Greg Gard.
But sure, Beilein isn't the problem. The players are.

That may be part of it, but I suspect it is a lot of things.  Schedule, team is mailing it in, Coach has very little authority in the NBA, cannot discipline NBA players at all.....the players run the show and In college the coach does.