[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT: Jay Wright to the Knicks??  (Read 18396 times)

muguru

• All American
OT: Jay Wright to the Knicks??
« on: February 17, 2020, 07:24:16 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzag.../#698de4e06437

League sources say Villanova coach Jay Wright could become the next head coach of the Knicks.
“There is a strong possibility that Jay Wright in New York could happen,” one league source said.

Reached by text Sunday, Wright did not offer a comment on the matter, while a Villanova spokesman said the school does not comment on speculative reports.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

moomoo

• Team Captain
Re: OT: Jay Wright to the Knicks??
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 07:42:07 AM »
Wojo to Nova

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 07:49:55 AM »
Nah.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 07:52:25 AM »
It'd be shocking seeing as they're essentially where the 76ers were back when he denied them, and he didn't have to move for that one
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 07:59:39 AM »
I’d be surprised if he leaves but if he has the itch to try the NBA, he’s done more than enough at Villanova and better to try when you’re younger. 

If he could help turn the Knicks around, he’d be a basketball legend.  Still, that’s a gig that feels destined to fail
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 08:42:35 AM »
I’d be surprised if he leaves but if he has the itch to try the NBA, he’s done more than enough at Villanova and better to try when you’re younger. 

If he could help turn the Knicks around, he’d be a basketball legend.  Still, that’s a gig that feels destined to fail

Not a single one of us knows what's in Jay Wright's head, Rico, but I like your take.

If Wright wants to try something else, he can probably get $10 million a year from Dolan, as well as keys to the entire operation. If he succeeds, he's the God of the Garden. If he doesn't, he goes back to college with his reputation intact as one of the great coaches at that level.

It's no different than Calipari ... except Wright has won more national titles, and has done so without even a hint of NCAA improprieties.

So if he has the itch, it's a no-lose situation for him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 08:45:04 AM »
I thought it was interesting in the Belein thread the article I posted talked about free agency in college and how that could have been one of the impacts for him leaving.  If free agency does come to pass aside from annihilating the sport at the mid an$ lower levels, how many coaches will want to deal with that crap?

But ...progress.....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 08:48:16 AM »
Not a single one of us knows what's in Jay Wright's head, Rico, but I like your take.

If Wright wants to try something else, he can probably get $10 million a year from Dolan, as well as keys to the entire operation. If he succeeds, he's the God of the Garden. If he doesn't, he goes back to college with his reputation intact as one of the great coaches at that level.

It's no different than Calipari ... except Wright has won more national titles, and has done so without even a hint of NCAA improprieties.

So if he has the itch, it's a no-lose situation for him.
Didn't they just hire a GM?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 08:51:26 AM »
I thought it was interesting in the Belein thread the article I posted talked about free agency in college and how that could have been one of the impacts for him leaving.  If free agency does come to pass aside from annihilating the sport at the mid an$ lower levels, how many coaches will want to deal with that crap?

But ...progress.....

Yes.  I am sure colleges will find no one to coach their teams, and these coaches who make six and seven figure salaries will throw that all away to do...what exactly?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 09:00:00 AM »
A year or two ago I this would have concerned me more.  After this year I think the Big East is strong enough beyond Villanova, so this won't hurt as much.  It could actually help Marquette a little by giving us a chance to step up.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 09:02:21 AM »

But ...progress.....

Yeah because there is no free agency in the NBA...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 09:02:58 AM »
Villanova board says his kids are grown, and he's downsizing that's why he listing his place
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 09:08:02 AM »

Yes.  I am sure colleges will find no one to coach their teams, and these coaches who make six and seven figure salaries will throw that all away to do...what exactly?

You can always find someone to do something....XFL found players to play and it is exhilarating.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 09:08:25 AM »
Yeah, we knew that.  Reply #3 above.

Didn’t see it in time

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 09:09:08 AM »
You can always find someone to do something....XFL found players to play and it is exhilarating.

Yawn
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 09:10:10 AM »

Except it is controlled by contracts and limited teams.....that won’t be the case in college hoops where no contracts exist and players can leave each year....MASSIVE difference.  You also have a draft, much different than recruiting with guaranteed talent coming in yearly.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 09:38:17 AM »
Except it is controlled by contracts and limited teams.....that won’t be the case in college hoops where no contracts exist and players can leave each year....MASSIVE difference.  You also have a draft, much different than recruiting with guaranteed talent coming in yearly.

Why is it, as always, must you frame these discussions 100 percent around what's best for the highly paid coaches and wealthy institutions, and never, ever what's in the best interests of the players?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:27:19 AM by Pakuni »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 09:48:41 AM »
I would be a little surprised based on how Beilein has done in Cleveland. Now, Wright may be able to relate better to NBA players. However, I’m not sure why you’d leave a good job to walk into the disaster that is the Knicks.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2020, 09:53:53 AM »

I have a solution!  Treat players like employees and allow them to form a union!  That way they could develop a collective bargaining agreement just like the players have in the NBA that could limit movement.

But I'm sure that's a bad idea too right?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2020, 09:58:19 AM »
I would be a little surprised based on how Beilein has done in Cleveland. Now, Wright may be able to relate better to NBA players. However, I’m not sure why you’d leave a good job to walk into the disaster that is the Knicks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2020, 10:10:07 AM »

Or in college basketball and football coaching, where there is total free agency.

Even coaches with 5+ years on their contracts can leave, as long as their new employers are willing to pay the buyouts ... which almost all are.

The idea of any college coach complaining about player free agency is one of the biggest jokes in history. Lots of them are hypocrites who demand loyalty from everybody but themselves.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2020, 10:34:20 AM »

But ...progress.....

Apparently he dislikes the NBA more. Can't relate to the players among his issues. Word is he is very unhappy. Not sure his narrative fits your agenda.

feedback