[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Dominant HS programs  (Read 2366 times)

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Dominant HS programs
« on: February 16, 2020, 10:48:04 AM »
I saw this headline today: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/02/15/indiana-high-school-girls-swimming-carmel-youth-movement-adds-record/4722371002/

and thought, "that can't be right," so I went to the IHSAA site and sure enough it was: https://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Sports/Girls/Swimming/Team-State-Champions

34 straight state titles. That has to make them one of if not the most dominant programs in the country - in any sport. So I wonder, what other schools out there have absolute powerhouse programs?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Dominant HS programs
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 11:07:11 AM »
All about HS recruiting
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 11:12:07 AM »
Kimberly football.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 11:18:29 AM »
waukesha catholic memorial girls soccer

coach john burke(24 years), thru 2/2018 is 495-52-42

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/high-schools/2018/04/04/catholic-memorial-dynasty-more-than-just-winning-girls-soccer-games/482868002/
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 11:53:21 AM »
Dominant swimming programs are almost always at schools with wealthy students, and Carmel is probably the wealthiest community in Indiana. It is an expensive sport if you want to compete at a reasonably high level. And the swim clubs in the wealthy communities (where the kids train outside of the high school season) can afford to recruit top coaches and provide the best facilities.
Have some patience, FFS.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 12:40:52 PM »
Dominant swimming programs are almost always at schools with wealthy students, and Carmel is probably the wealthiest community in Indiana. It is an expensive sport if you want to compete at a reasonably high level. And the swim clubs in the wealthy communities (where the kids train outside of the high school season) can afford to recruit top coaches and provide the best facilities.

You're definitely not wrong about that. It's just crazy that none of the other wealthy communities (and there are others) have been able to snag the crown even one time in that time span.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 01:35:39 PM »
Curious .. what makes swimming a rich-school sport?  I mean .. pools are everywhere.  Very little equipment needed per student.

Now, polo on the other hand ...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 01:54:32 PM »
Curious .. what makes swimming a rich-school sport?  I mean .. pools are everywhere.  Very little equipment needed per student.

Coaching. Same with tennis. Anyone can pick up a racket or get in a pool, but usually they will lag behind kids who have dedicated time and coaching to pour into it.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 01:56:23 PM »

Nothing "makes" it a rich sport on its face, but it does tend to be dominated by upper class communities. I grew up in Illinois and the wealthy Chicago burbs - Winnetka, Lake Forest, Hinsdale, etc. - are vastly more historically successful than the downstate teams.
Signature:

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 02:46:55 PM »
It’s because they are taught more about swimming from the private clubs they join prior to high school rather than the high school coaches.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 03:09:51 PM »
PAY THEM!!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 03:59:04 PM »
Hilltopper soccer.

(But who cares?)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 08:15:33 PM »
Coaching?  Please.  You can learn how to swim on Youtube!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 11:07:02 AM »
Lourdes Academy girls cross country. Only been in the WIAA for 14 years, have won state 6 times.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 11:26:10 AM »
All about HS recruiting
Not for swimming. I believe I read that most, if not all, of the swimmers have been on the same club swim team since around age 5.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 11:57:50 AM »
Our local HS has won the Ohio state championship in gymnastics every year since 2004 (and '00 and '01 for good measure).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 12:21:03 PM »
It's not high school, but between 1980 and 2010, Kenyon College won 31 straight NCAA D3 titles in men's swimming.  During that same timeframe, the women won 23 national titles.  All these teams were coached by the same guy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 12:53:20 PM »
It's not high school, but between 1980 and 2010, Kenyon College won 31 straight NCAA D3 titles in men's swimming.  During that same timeframe, the women won 23 national titles.  All these teams were coached by the same guy.

What do they put in the water there?

*shows himself out*

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 02:44:36 PM »
the tennis team in my HS conference had won the title every year since it was started in the 50's.  It was a major upset when they tied for the title one year. The rest of us aimed for second every season.

Kalamazoo College won 79 consecutive MIAA Men's Tennis championships (all but three outright) but had five vacated due to some crazy D3 rules that caused financial aid and recruiting violations. 
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 02:50:19 PM »
My HS has by far been the most dominant wrestling program in the state.
7/11yrs 1st or 2nd in team
2 olympians (one was an alternate)
Every year going back to 2005 there's been at least one state champion.

Idk if it's still true but when I was playing Lacrosse in High School New Trier and Loyola had played in something like the past 19/20 state finals.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback