Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 11:59:39 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 11:55:22 AM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 11:27:11 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 10:36:41 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:23:37 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For the advanced stat guys...  (Read 3878 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
For the advanced stat guys...
« on: March 05, 2020, 12:07:19 PM »
I know its an unpopular opinion right now and unless i have my torch in one hand and pitch fork in the other i am in the minority. Yet if someone could show the simple shooting percentages or the advanced offensive stats for our starting perimeter players it would completely spell out the reason for our swoon.
Now i completely agree that Wojo recruited them and is in charge of coaching them up.  However, when we were 17-5 or whatever versus now Bailey and Sacar have literally disappeared and cannot make a shot.  Sacar missed 4 relatively uncontested Layups against Depaul and Bailey had two chnances to give MU the lead in the last minute and choked/shortarmed both shots terribly.  Mcewen has been terrible since the tip in the blue/gold scrimmage.  So probably more so the stats of Sacar and Bailey since the tip of the at Nova game are all that one really needs to see. When u have three perimeter players that literally cannot throw the ball into the ocean im not sure john wooden could do anything.
On a side note it was depressing to watch x vs prov and then nova vs shu and watch all these wing players simply rise up and bury shots one after another juxtaposed to MU when u know damn fin well 75% of the time those 3 shoot its gonna be a brick!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: For the advanced stat guys...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 12:44:53 PM »
Andrei did some of this recently. Here's what you are looking for:

https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/1235259179318771712

But while your hypothesis on the poor shooting is correct I think this one is a better indication of where the problems have been:

https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/1235305886815588354

Offense has been fine despite the poor shooting of Bailey, Sacar, Koby, and Jamal. The bigs have found their roles and Markus has been at his prime. It's the defense that has been letting us down.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 01:05:40 PM »

But while your hypothesis on the poor shooting is correct I think this one is a better indication of where the problems have been:

Offense has been fine despite the poor shooting of Bailey, Sacar, Koby, and Jamal. The bigs have found their roles and Markus has been at his prime. It's the defense that has been letting us down.

Ya. Add supporting cast poor shooting to extremely poor team defense and you end up with our current spiral.

The dichotomy between what ailed us last year and this year is interesting

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 08:24:31 PM »
I realky think we need to do more Greg hobbled as he is and way less mcewen

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 09:40:42 PM »
I know its an unpopular opinion right now and unless i have my torch in one hand and pitch fork in the other i am in the minority.

I appreciate someone who can be calm and logical at this time with MU and Wojo. BUT (there's always a 'but') a lot of this disappointment is not a knee-jerk reaction to a 2-3 game losing streak in the midst of a 25 win season. I think we can all agree this is a replay of last year. I hate reading Markus' comments after the game; basically telling the reporter (and I think himself and the team) the season is not over. These thoughts should not be in anyone's head in that locker room (I get it on MUScoop). I wish this was a great team having a cold shooting night or one player in a slump.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:45:22 PM by WhiteTrash »

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 09:56:18 PM »
The number of fouls per game is bad. We are 272nd out of 353 Division 1 teams. Fouling at a rate of 18.9 fouls per game. We put other teams in the free throw line too frequently. Fouling on 23% of defensive plays.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
The number of fouls per game is bad. We are 272nd out of 353 Division 1 teams. Fouling at a rate of 18.9 fouls per game. We put other teams in the free throw line too frequently. Fouling on 23% of defensive plays.

And for the longest time our peak D stat was defensive FT%.  It evened our vs. DePaul. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 10:47:50 PM »

How good would MU be if Mannion were the PG instead of Koby...with Koby spelling Markus off the bench? That may have been Wojo’s biggest miss.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 10:49:22 PM »
with Koby spelling Markus off the bench?

Would he spell it correctly, or Marcus?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 11:10:07 PM »
How good would MU be if Mannion were the PG instead of Koby...with Koby spelling Markus off the bench? That may have been Wojo’s biggest miss.

It was a brutal mi$$, I'll give you that.

Don't worry though, NCAA coming down on Miller any day now...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 11:57:49 PM »

Answer: SO good. I will hate Arizona as long as Miller is the coach but I've watched a few of their games this season because the Mannion, Green, and Nnaji show is a fun watch.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 07:50:14 AM »
Punctuation is your friend.  I had to read this three times to comprehend the point.  But, finally having understood it, I agree.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
Agree with this. I don’t think there’s a player on our roster used more poorly than GE
No Finish Line

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 11:29:04 AM »
Agree with this. I don’t think there’s a player on our roster used more poorly than GE

Greg is hurt, hobbled and slow.  His steal and execution against Depaul is not a healthy Greg.  He is still limping.
Him sacar n markus is still better than any combo that includes koby.  Id miss koby about as much as i miss ed.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 11:51:22 AM »
Answer: SO good. I will hate Arizona as long as Miller is the coach but I've watched a few of their games this season because the Mannion, Green, and Nnaji show is a fun watch.
Gotta love 5 potential 1st Rd picks playing in Arizona vs Washington on Sat and neither team being very good.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 12:33:52 PM »

I was watching him as I typed that.  Mannion paired with Markus would have put MU in the Top 5 this year, both complementing each other.  Instead, both are the stars of their teams going sideways.

I also think it would have given Sam pause to stay.  And running Koby off the bench as a combo would have set him up much better for success.