[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Some additional positive press for the Big East  (Read 25393 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Some additional positive press for the Big East
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2020, 12:32:41 PM »
All of this about majority/minority areas and urban schools is correct. However, maybe 20 or so years ago, there was a movement afoot to move Marquette and Marquette High to the burbs. MU considered a move to the area where Concordia is now located—which had done the same thing. To the credit of the Jesuits, the decision was to stay urban within the heart of the city so as not to abandon the neighborhoods. The point is there was a decision to stay put and minister to the neighbors as well as educating college students.

Concordia was smaller and in a worse neighborhood. Them leaving was smart.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2020, 12:33:03 PM »

Terrible mistake. Shoulda bolted like Concordia did. Enrollment woulda bin thrivin'. Furdermoore, DiUlio wuz wright. Close down da Ave., hey?

No and no
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2020, 12:39:19 PM »
My point was these urban schools were built a long time ago and they were not built in minority areas.  They became minority areas over time. 

Wrong as usual.  The Jesuits intentionally built their schools in urban areas which have always been minority areas.  The difference was in 1881 it wasn't black and Hispanic neighborhoods, but German or Italian or Polish neighborhoods. 

I use this argument all the time talking about the school where I work (Racine St Cats).  Sure, it's founding in the 1860s was to serve immigrant German girls, but now it serves a much different, but equally oppressed "minority" community.  The same is true of most urban Catholic schools K-12-university

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2020, 01:01:55 PM »
I live in LA and have never seen an Asian only league. Maybe in your hood but I have never seen it. More importantly, who cares?

Up in those Calabasas burbs you won’t see it...77% white and less than 10% Asian...I care and so does much of the Asian sports community where basketball has been part of that community for a long time.  Maybe it is my educational background in East Asian Cultures and Languages that I just notice it more.  What Brew said was wrong and you need to get out more apparently.

Maybe branch out a bit and you will see it.  Some leagues allow a max of two non Asians, but most Asian basketball leagues do not....been around for decades and some since the early 1900s.

JA leagues.   https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/la-sp-japanese-american-sports-20150523-story.html

JAO. https://www.upworthy.com/the-moving-reason-these-japanese-american-basketball-leagues-have-thousands-of-players

Tiger Sports

ABA ( Asian Basketball Association)

ABN

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2020, 01:05:53 PM »
Right? I cannot believe this was even brought up.  Perhaps the most random, bizarre, point ever made on Scoop.  However, we are all better off going forward knowing these leagues exist in L.A.

It was brought up because of this entire thread....why aren’t Asian Americans getting those opportunities?  It was brought up because “minorities” to certain people on this board only include SOME minorities and not all....and when they try to explain it away they never can....as is the case in this thread again. Instead foolish comments about Asians not caring about basketball or sports, or not playing....heads totally in the sand.  Are Asians and Hispanics not minorities, too?  Why does it monotonous matter then?  Where are their basketball coaching opportunities?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2020, 01:07:11 PM »
So he is an Asian American.  TY

Btw, not a bad choice for MU if Wojo left.

Huh? When did Israel become considered part of Asia and individuals of Jewish ancestry become Asian?

Nah, Todd isn’t ready for MU. No midwestern connections, only one year as a HC, ties to Bruce Pearl. Now, the guy who Todd took over for, definitely.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2020, 01:11:52 PM »
Wrong as usual.  The Jesuits intentionally built their schools in urban areas which have always been minority areas.  The difference was in 1881 it wasn't black and Hispanic neighborhoods, but German or Italian or Polish neighborhoods. 

I use this argument all the time talking about the school where I work (Racine St Cats).  Sure, it's founding in the 1860s was to serve immigrant German girls, but now it serves a much different, but equally oppressed "minority" community.  The same is true of most urban Catholic schools K-12-university

I never said anything about urban...Jesuits largely built in urban areas (though not exclusively)...but it is not wrong what I said about minorities.  They built them in urban areas becaus3 they were population centers and had $$$$$$ which the good old Jebbies and Catholic orgs were always (still do) seeking.

I’d recommend you read this

http://www.larramendi.es/i18n/catalogo_imagenes/grupo.cmd?path=1000216

A few others I can share as well.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2020, 01:16:37 PM »
Huh? When did Israel become considered part of Asia and individuals of Jewish ancestry become Asian?

Nah, Todd isn’t ready for MU. No midwestern connections, only one year as a HC, ties to Bruce Pearl. Now, the guy who Todd took over for, definitely.

Dude, Israel is a part of Asia. Your best friend is a dual citizen of Israel and the US.  He is also a proclaimed member of the Asian American Coaches Association.

Is Bruce Pearl's ancestry from Israel?  Or Europe?  Is Ed Cooley considered not an African American because he was born in the USA?  I mean really....

https://mfa.gov.il/MFA/AboutIsrael/Maps/Pages/Israel-and-the-Region.aspx

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2020, 01:19:31 PM »

What continent do you think Israel is on?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2020, 01:23:57 PM »

Clearly Europe based on its FIFA Confederacy affiliation.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2020, 01:32:14 PM »
I never said anything about urban...Jesuits largely built in urban areas (though not exclusively)...but it is not wrong what I said about minorities.  They built them in urban areas becaus3 they were population centers and had $$$$$$ which the good old Jebbies and Catholic orgs were always (still do) seeking.

I’d recommend you read this

http://www.larramendi.es/i18n/catalogo_imagenes/grupo.cmd?path=1000216

A few others I can share as well.

From the book you linked, in the section titled "The Urban College," p 93.

"The Jesuit community associated with a college in a large urban location, e.g. Lima or
Mexico City, was also involved in ministries to the Indians and in the case of Lima to the
black slaves living in the city. The college was not only for “teaching” but also had a focus
of apostolic activity throughout a city. Sodalities or confraternities were of special
importance in establishing a Christian elite within the Spanish, Indian, and Black
populations. Streetcorner preaching was one of the major activities of the Jesuits in Lima
and the purpose of this was to go out to people who normally would not go to church.
Each day a group of Jesuits would leave their house, walk in procession through the streets
of Lima with bell ringing and cross uplifted and attract groups of Indians and blacks to
whom the Jesuits would preach."

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2020, 01:37:05 PM »

FWIW, continents are an asinine way to organize anything.  There's an argument to be made that Asia-Europe-Africa is really just one continent, geographically.  Within continents there are massive cultural divides.  Israel might technically be "in Asia," but I would consider it some sort of hybrid between "Western" and "Middle Eastern" before I ever labeled it "Asian"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2020, 02:16:17 PM »
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/ncaa-demographics-database

Here is the demographic breakdown for each D1 sport. You can select any conference; it is already set for the year 2018.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2020, 02:36:24 PM »
Basketball isn’t big in the Asian-American culture in the first place (sports in general are often frowned upon) which leads to a limited number of candidates for jobs.

You've apparently never met a Filipino.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2020, 03:44:57 PM »
Simple positive thread entirely ruined by a deranged lunatic (chicos) ✅
Can anyone point me to one that this psychopath has not ruined?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2020, 04:06:28 PM »

Terrible mistake. Shoulda bolted like Concordia did. Enrollment woulda bin thrivin'. Furdermoore, DiUlio wuz wright. Close down da Ave., hey?

Yes to Avenue Commons, no to moving to the burbs in my opinion. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2020, 04:09:44 PM »
From the book you linked, in the section titled "The Urban College," p 93.

"The Jesuit community associated with a college in a large urban location, e.g. Lima or
Mexico City, was also involved in ministries to the Indians and in the case of Lima to the
black slaves living in the city. The college was not only for “teaching” but also had a focus
of apostolic activity throughout a city. Sodalities or confraternities were of special
importance in establishing a Christian elite within the Spanish, Indian, and Black
populations. Streetcorner preaching was one of the major activities of the Jesuits in Lima
and the purpose of this was to go out to people who normally would not go to church.
Each day a group of Jesuits would leave their house, walk in procession through the streets
of Lima with bell ringing and cross uplifted and attract groups of Indians and blacks to
whom the Jesuits would preach."

Keep reading.......and I lived two years in Lima...know it well....went to Colegio Franklin Delano Roosevelt school in Lima as a youngster before moving back to the United States.  The original school was in the San Isidro District, but since relocated to La Molina. 

I'm talking about the United States and Jesuit colleges and universities.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2020, 04:38:08 PM »
This thread confirms that racism in US keeps growing. We are heading back to the good old times like some here wish. Unfortunately Rome will burn and fall.
Goal is National Championship

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2020, 05:21:22 PM »

Israelis are not classified as Asian. They wouldn’t even consider themselves “Asian.” But a supposed adult who changes his handle to that of a seventeen year old male, well, I’m not sure what to call that...other than creepy.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2020, 05:27:45 PM »
Dude, Israel is a part of Asia. Your best friend is a dual citizen of Israel and the US.  He is also a proclaimed member of the Asian American Coaches Association.

Is Bruce Pearl's ancestry from Israel?  Or Europe?  Is Ed Cooley considered not an African American because he was born in the USA?  I mean really....

He’s in that group because it was his fellow coaching staff member who founded it. A couple other white coaches from the staff joined to support Sonic. At the time it was founded there were only two Asian-Americans in college coaching.

To try and claim anyone from the Middle East as “Asian” (especially since they would not check that box) to prove a point on a message board is the height of intellectual dishonesty.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2020, 05:33:05 PM »
Israelis are not classified as Asian. They wouldn’t even consider themselves “Asian.” But a supposed adult who changes his handle to that of a seventeen year old male, well, I’m not sure what to call that...other than creepy.
Quoting Chicos really creepy
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2020, 06:21:43 PM »
Another (unfortunately) Classic Scoop thread.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2020, 06:38:13 PM »

So what continent do you think Israel is on?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2020, 07:08:05 PM »
This is from the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

Israel stands at the crossroads of Europe, Asia and Africa. Geographically, it belongs to the Asian continent and is part of the Middle East region.

As if those schlemiels know what continent they're on!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2020, 03:03:41 PM »
You've apparently never met a Filipino.

I'm actually married to one.

Yes, in the Philippines basketball is huge (if you haven't read Pacific Rims I suggest picking it up) but Fil-Am culture is very different from Filipino culture. Right now there is only one Filipino in the NBA, Jordan Clarkson, who is half. There was a lot of hope for Kobe Paras (also half) but he flamed out at three schools and went to the Philippines for college where his dad is still a legend.  Other than Spolestra there aren't any Filipino coaches and he's half Filipino and born in the US.  Fil-Am's, especially first-generation, generally leave sports in or after high school to concentrate on academics. That is highly ingrained in the Asian culture and sports participation looked down upon (typical in many Asian households were team sports are seen as a distraction).

Plus, the average Filipino male is 5-5 so basketball isn't a long term option for them. It also explains their 40-year losing streak in the World Cup and Olympic qualifying events.

feedback