[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT: Ivy League Transfers  (Read 3780 times)

KampusFoods

• All American
OT: Ivy League Transfers
« on: February 12, 2020, 01:59:40 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28673063/is-ivy-league-transfer-policy-helping-players-hurting-them

Interesting article on how the Ivy League has developed into a free-agent market of sorts for Grad Transfers. Has to be strange as an Ivy coach, to field calls from other D-1 schools that are recruiting your players.

Posting this on the BB board because I'm betting MU is one of the many schools that will be pursuing Mike Smith of Columbia. 5'11 scoring guard out of Chicago (Fenwick).

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: OT: Ivy League Transfers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 02:51:33 PM »
No red-shirts and no grad students at the ivies.  Always been the case and will always be the case.

So, if a player misses a season for injury, like Mike Smith, they have to move on after four years.  Given this, why should an Ivy coach fielding calls from other coaches be any different than Calipari or Coach K fielding NBA GM questions about their star freshman?

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 02:57:53 PM »
No red-shirts and no grad students at the ivies.  Always been the case and will always be the case.

We will see on the bolded.  Some coaches are bringing it up so it may happen eventually.  Of course I think getting admitted into those programs could be the largest hurdle.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 03:17:53 PM »
We will see on the bolded.  Some coaches are bringing it up so it may happen eventually.  Of course I think getting admitted into those programs could be the largest hurdle.

Yeah I could see them maybe having a problem with a grad transfer likely only staying one year and not being able to really commit fully to the graduate program.

But a guy that redshirts then graduates in 3 years with 2 years of eligibility left could sleepwalk through HBS for example.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 03:18:20 PM »

So, if a player misses a season for injury, like Mike Smith, they have to move on after four years.  Given this, why should an Ivy coach fielding calls from other coaches be any different than Calipari or Coach K fielding NBA GM questions about their star freshman?

Because Kentucky and Duke will never have to play against NBA teams. Ivies typically play 2 or 3 games against power 6 teams every year in the Non-con.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »
Posting this on the BB board because I'm betting MU is one of the many schools that will be pursuing Mike Smith of Columbia. 5'11 scoring guard out of Chicago (Fenwick).

I heard Gard cooled on Mike Smith because he can't get Smith admitted to UW with his grades from Columbia.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 04:07:03 PM »
Because Kentucky and Duke will never have to play against NBA teams. Ivies typically play 2 or 3 games against power 6 teams every year in the Non-con.

Why does this make a difference?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 12:40:20 PM »
Yeah I could see them maybe having a problem with a grad transfer likely only staying one year and not being able to really commit fully to the graduate program.

But a guy that redshirts then graduates in 3 years with 2 years of eligibility left could sleepwalk through HBS for example.

Hell, if keefe could do it, dont see why a basketball player couldnt.   8-) 8-) 8-)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 01:13:03 PM »
Mike Smith is Jimmy's buddy right?  And by "buddy" i mean the player that seemed to spend all off season for a couple years training with Jimmy.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 02:02:26 PM »
I heard Gard cooled on Mike Smith because he can't get Smith admitted to UW with his grades from Columbia.

unlike some of the Ivy's, Columbia actually gives grades below a B, so there could be something to your attempt at a joke.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 03:42:09 AM »
Hell, if keefe could do it, dont see why a basketball player couldnt.   8-) 8-) 8-)

Amazing what a crisp $500 in a Blue Book can do

Death on call

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 07:30:55 AM »
Mike Smith is Jimmy's buddy right?  And by "buddy" i mean the player that seemed to spend all off season for a couple years training with Jimmy.

Yep

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 05:40:30 PM »
Just looked up Smith (since my Ivy knowledge is nil). He would be a solid pick-up, especially if MU isn't able to land Mane.