[Today at 10:46:50 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 10:45:04 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Dispelling the Myths  (Read 5679 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
[Cracked Sidewalks] Dispelling the Myths
« on: February 11, 2020, 11:03:30 AM »
For years we've heard about how Markus Howard is a poor defender, Markus Howard is a selfish chucker, and Markus Howard is a turnover machine. As we continue our #MarkusHowardNPOY campaign, Cracked Sidewalks digs into those lies to expose them for the myths they are and shows that, when comparing Howard to other NPOY candidates, they are actually a strength to his game.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2020/02/dispelling-myths.html
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Dispelling the Myths
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 11:32:17 AM »
Outstanding article and a great read.

I've definitely been impressed with how Markus has brought down his turnover rate as this season has gone along -- his current 14.4% is the lowest of his career. Hopefully that's a sign of him playing within the game more and the team playing together better as a whole. Now if only Koby could follow the same example...

Also, this is the first time I've ever seen an article about college basketball reference etymology. Geeky, witty, ridiculous (it takes 31 words to state what could probably be expressed in 5 or 6) and insightful all at once. Reports about the death of the English language are indeed greatly exaggerated.

The only world in which one could call Garza a "terrific" defender is one where we are going back to the original meaning of terrific, which shares etymological roots with terrible.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 11:36:57 AM »
"Garza is a $**+ defender" certainly would have been easier & just as accurate, but I'm a sucker for the florid prose.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 01:33:20 PM »
Very nice read and can’t hurt his NPOY chances if the voters read this.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 01:51:12 PM »
I don't get the article?? Are you trying to say all the people nominated for national player of the year are gunners and turnover prone and Markus isn't any worst than them?  Just mess'n with you.  Nice article.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 01:54:19 PM »
Very nice read and can’t hurt his NPOY chances if the voters read this.

Excellent work, Brew, and agree with the above.

Unfortunately, Markus is not likely to win even the BE POY. Check Holy Land. The east coast bias is strong, and all the "myths" continue unabated - Powell is clutch, Markus is not - Powell make the other players around him better - his teammates love Powell, they leave Howard. The overt gushing by the commentators during the SHU-Nova game (about Powell) was completely over the top. Sounded like the fix is in.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 02:05:20 PM »

Unfortunately, Markus is not likely to win even the BE POY. Check Holy Land. The east coast bias is strong, and all the "myths" continue unabated - Powell is clutch, Markus is not - Powell make the other players around him better - his teammates love Powell, they leave Howard. The overt gushing by the commentators during the SHU-Nova game (about Powell) was completely over the top. Sounded like the fix is in.

I actually think Howard's chances of winning National Player of the Year are better than Big East Player of the Year. And it wouldn't at all surprise me if those awards ended up split at the end of the year. I think it's highly unlikely Powell wins NPOY.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 02:50:08 PM »
Awesome work brew! I think even the eye test had already convinced me that Markus has improved greatly on defense. To me that really is the best summary of his greatness - many people would look at an undersized, not super quick guard, and write off any chance of his defense improving, and just tolerate below average defense since it came with incredible offense. But he took pride in improving defense as well as expanding his offensive game, and became an above average defense player.  You can't ask for more in a college player. We are so lucky to have him. He really deserves npoy.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 03:00:55 PM »
I hope Marquette latches on to some of this great work and distributes it directly to the media who vote on many of the awards.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 03:50:12 PM »
Awesome work, Brew!

Everyone with Twitter should retweet this and let it spread. 

https://twitter.com/brewcity1977/status/1227278751475605504

Also, I plan to have it teed up to respond to trolls on social media.

Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 03:53:58 PM »
Follow up comment to those of you who follow MBB on more of a national scale than I do.

How pervasive are the myths that Brew addresses in his article?  Is literally every college basketball writer aware of it, or is it magnified in our world by Badger and Big East trolls (and, I am sorry to say, more than a few posters on this board)?
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 03:56:09 PM »
Follow up comment to those of you who follow MBB on more of a national scale than I do.

How pervasive are the myths that Brew addresses in his article?  Is literally every college basketball writer aware of it, or is it magnified in our world by Badger and Big East trolls (and, I am sorry to say, more than a few posters on this board)?

Certainly quite a few media guys have said those as reasoning for Powell over Markus plus there's a couple threads on preseason BE POY and Powell vs Howard where BE posters use those as pro powell
Maigh Eo for Sam

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 04:13:37 PM »
Not sure it is being discussed elsewhere on this board but Markus is about 21 points away from becoming the Beast all time leading scorer.  That is a pretty big deal.  He has his team in the top 20. He is doing everything right now. The Hall is a better team but I still think Markus will be the BE player of the year.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 04:26:19 PM »
It doesn't hurt Powell's chances that Seton Hall is 18-5 (10-1 in the Big East). They've only lost one game since before Christmas and are ranked #10 in the AP poll.

Two seasons ago, Trae Young may have had the statistical edge over Jalen Brunson:

Trae Young
27.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 8.7 apg, 112.1 ORtg, 38.5 %Poss, 51.9 eFG%, 48.5 ARate, 20.0 TORate

Jalen Brunson
18.9 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 4.6 apg, 128.5 ORtg, 26.0 %Poss, 60.4 eFG%, 26.6 ARate, 12.2 TORate

But Brunson played for national champion Villanova, while Young's Sooners faded badly down the stretch -- losing 12 of its last 16 games, including first-round losses in the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments.

In the eyes of the Naismith board of selectors, team success matters.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 04:31:07 PM »
Some people on Holyland not understanding the Powell comparison re assists since McKnight is the primary PG
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 04:56:36 PM »
Some people on Holyland not understanding the Powell comparison re assists since McKnight is the primary PG

I compared assist rates for everyone. And if Markus was just a ballhog, he wouldn't be creating as much as he does for others.

The critical stat when comparing those two is the Total PPG. Markus through scoring & assists creates 35.2 ppg, Powell creates 27.6. I'll get to value over replacement later (actually the most important part of the argument) but from an offensive perspective, Howard is far more valuable than Powell, and from a defensive perspective it's about equal.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 05:26:50 PM »

Koby is MU's "primary" PG

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 05:28:02 PM »

Nonsense. In the last 11 years only 2 guys from the East Coast have won - Zion and Jalen Brunson. They were both slam dunks.

And, Powell leads the team that is gonna win the BE. Seems like another slam dunk.

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 06:35:03 PM »
In Boston and Austin a good amount of time...General bb conversation about Marquette and Howard...

The myths

Howard is a poor defender ...comes up a lot based on his years with rowsey and no guard height. It was score on them or be outscored by them...

The no pass Markus ....it is rare for 2 good basketball players yet alone brothers to leave a “top 5 “ team, and he averages 27 points a game.. so yes sharing the ball is a concern nationally.

Turnover machine is probably less of a thing, perception is he forces in big moments reinforced by Lavin and Jackson recently.

Well done myth busters!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 06:39:02 PM »
Nonsense. In the last 11 years only 2 guys from the East Coast have won - Zion and Jalen Brunson. They were both slam dunks.

And, Powell leads the team that is gonna win the BE. Seems like another slam dunk.

"Slam dunk"?  Nearly every statistic, advanced and simple, favoring Markus over Powell doesn't scream slam dunk to me.  I'm not saying Markus should or shouldn't be NPOY, but there's no way Powell should be.  If SH was a top 3 team or having an SDSU-like run, maybe, but otherwise gimme a break.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 06:41:33 PM »
I hope Marquette latches on to some of this great work and distributes it directly to the media who vote on many of the awards.

Is this a thing? I mean, do schools run organized campaigns for awards for their players the way that movie studios do for Oscars?
Have some patience, FFS.

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 06:46:59 PM »
The heisman trophy in football has full scale campaigns run by the school and media..

Basketball has it on a smaller scale and also the political east coast trading of candidates

burger

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »
Better get some comparison info on Miles Powell because Seton Hall is putting the "marketing push" on him.....He was on Sports Center with Scott Van Pelt for an interview......

It was a total fluff job deal......

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 06:51:59 PM »

Powell’s team has been running away with the conference while Markus’ team has had a slower start.  That is probably driving it more than anything.  If MU wins another 4-5 in a row the polling will get very interesting. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 07:39:45 PM »
Better get some comparison info on Miles Powell because Seton Hall is putting the "marketing push" on him.....He was on Sports Center with Scott Van Pelt for an interview......

It was a total fluff job deal......
Get Wade to interview Markus, game over
Goal is National Championship