collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Newsdreams
[Today at 03:20:44 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Major MLB changes coming?  (Read 10025 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Major MLB changes coming?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 11:11:10 PM »
Trying too hard.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 05:56:33 AM »
The pick-your-opponent twist seems a little gimmicky to me, but I'm all for increasing the number of playoff teams.  Too many teams are all-but-eliminated by mid-August, and this will help keep more teams in the running for longer.  It should also break up some of the tanking, especially in the AL where three of the playoff spots are pre-determined every year.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 07:23:03 AM »
The pick-your-opponent twist seems a little gimmicky to me...

Yeah, it does sound gimmicky...and completely awesome. I actually like the proposed changes. I love the idea of the two division winners picking their opponent and giving them the ultimate bulletin board material.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 07:26:52 AM »
I like it.

I like it more as a Twins fan, that maybe we could pick to not play the f***ing Yankees each year and go winless.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 07:28:08 AM »
The pick-your-opponent twist seems a little gimmicky to me, but I'm all for increasing the number of playoff teams.  Too many teams are all-but-eliminated by mid-August, and this will help keep more teams in the running for longer.  It should also break up some of the tanking, especially in the AL where three of the playoff spots are pre-determined every year.
Disagree.  You are playing 162 games to separate the wheat from the chaff.  7 teams means just shy of half the teams (46.7%) make it, which I suspect will get you an under .500 team every now and again.  That is way too many teams.  I am a Red Sox fan, and they would have played in the playoffs under this scenario.  That team had no business being in the postseason.  And neither they nor the Indians nor anybody else would have been playing for much in September because they would have had those seeds tied up already.  In the NL the Mets, Cubs and D-backs would have been fighting it out for the 6th and 7th slots. I guess that's exciting.  If the Mets made it, I suspect they would have played the Braves.  Do we really want the Braves to have to beat the Mets again in a three game series after they spent 162 games proving they are the better team?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »
Disagree.  You are playing 162 games to separate the wheat from the chaff.  7 teams means just shy of half the teams (46.7%) make it, which I suspect will get you an under .500 team every now and again.  That is way too many teams.  I am a Red Sox fan, and they would have played in the playoffs under this scenario.  That team had no business being in the postseason.  And neither they nor the Indians nor anybody else would have been playing for much in September because they would have had those seeds tied up already.  In the NL the Mets, Cubs and D-backs would have been fighting it out for the 6th and 7th slots. I guess that's exciting.  If the Mets made it, I suspect they would have played the Braves.  Do we really want the Braves to have to beat the Mets again in a three game series after they spent 162 games proving they are the better team?

Totally understand this take.

However, this is the take every time any governing body (including MLB's) expands the postseason. Folks whine about it for awhile, then it simply becomes part of what is.

I'm also a fan of "less is more," but I understand the financial incentive of keeping more teams alive for playoff spots as long as possible in every sport.

As for the pick-your-own-opponent thing ... it is definitely a gimmick, but I agree with 'topper that it's a pretty cool one. I wouldn't hate it. And if they decide not to do it that way, that would be fine with me, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 08:08:16 AM »
Not to mention its the playoffs that draw the TV ratings, and September baseball just gets lost when football starts up and kids go back to school, etc.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 08:11:03 AM »
However, this is the take every time any governing body (including MLB's) expands the postseason. Folks whine about it for awhile, then it simply becomes part of what is.
Of course this is true.  If you love baseball, what choice do you have but accept it?  As long as there are an odd number of divisions that don't play the same schedule, a wild card for the best 2nd place team makes good sense to me, because that team will often/usually be better than the worst first place team.  Beyond that I'd rather there not be any more.  I get that people like the one game winner take all nature of the wild card game, but I hate the idea that after a 162 game schedule, and 85 win team can knock out a 100 win team by winning one road game.  It will add a few more days to the postseason.  I look forward to those November games in NY or Chicago or hopefully Milwaukee.

If they do do it, I think the best starting pitchers are going to see their salaries go up.  Now you can have an OK team, pretty much rely on the play-offs if you can get 85 wins and if you have 2 or 3 starters, ride them in the postseason. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 08:30:19 AM »
Of course this is true.  If you love baseball, what choice do you have but accept it?  As long as there are an odd number of divisions that don't play the same schedule, a wild card for the best 2nd place team makes good sense to me, because that team will often/usually be better than the worst first place team.  Beyond that I'd rather there not be any more.  I get that people like the one game winner take all nature of the wild card game, but I hate the idea that after a 162 game schedule, and 85 win team can knock out a 100 win team by winning one road game.  It will add a few more days to the postseason.  I look forward to those November games in NY or Chicago or hopefully Milwaukee.

If they do do it, I think the best starting pitchers are going to see their salaries go up.  Now you can have an OK team, pretty much rely on the play-offs if you can get 85 wins and if you have 2 or 3 starters, ride them in the postseason.

Agree about the longer-postseason factor and potentially horrendous weather in several spots.

The logical thing to do if you want to expand the postseason would be to shorten the regular season by at least a couple weeks so it starts after April 1 and ends by Sept. 20-something.

But I'm guessing the players would only agree to that if it didn't mean a corresponding drop in salary, and the owners would only agree to that if it did. In other words ... ain't gonna happen.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 08:51:09 AM »
Agree about the longer-postseason factor and potentially horrendous weather in several spots.

The logical thing to do if you want to expand the postseason would be to shorten the regular season by at least a couple weeks so it starts after April 1 and ends by Sept. 20-something.

But I'm guessing the players would only agree to that if it didn't mean a corresponding drop in salary, and the owners would only agree to that if it did. In other words ... ain't gonna happen.

I think even a drop back to 154 would work.  Shorten the season by just over a week, and add three days to the playoffs.
 Or would it actually just be two additional days since the current single wild-card game would be replaced by a three-game series?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 09:15:32 AM »
Against it.   Gimmicky.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »
Against it.   Gimmicky.

The same for me.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 09:27:45 AM »
I think even a drop back to 154 would work.  Shorten the season by just over a week, and add three days to the playoffs.
 Or would it actually just be two additional days since the current single wild-card game would be replaced by a three-game series?

Would teams make for money with 8 less games?
Less TV money, less concessions, less tickets, etc.  Owners won't go for 154 games if it brings in less.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 09:37:19 AM »
Less TV money, less concessions, less tickets, etc.  Owners won't go for 154 games if it brings in less.

I wasn't really arguing that owners would go for it, but was just commenting that even shortening the season by eight games would take care of the "playing into November" issue.

I think another question would be how much could MLB get by adding as  many as eight additional playoff games in each league? How much lost revenue from 8 fewer regular season games (presumably four home games) could be offset by additional revenue from additional playoff games?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 10:44:13 AM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 11:17:15 AM »

I agree CT. Let's not reward mediocrity.

In the last 10 years, 8 teams that were .500 or worse would have gotten into the Playoffs - not to mention several others that were 1 or 2 games over .500.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 11:30:11 AM »
I love baseball.  So this feels like a really bad idea to me.
That said, the MLB is fairly concerned about its future up against other sports.  I don't look at this as desperate, but just facing reality.  All said and done, I prefer this to some awful in game change, which is what I fear much more as they worry about speeding the game up so much.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 11:54:12 AM »
I hate all of it but my least favorite part is a three game series in a single location.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 12:09:12 PM »
Under this proposed playoff format:

2014: two 79-win teams tie for postseason spot
2015: two 83-win teams make postseason
2016: a 79-win team makes postseason
2017: three 80-win teams tie for postseason
2018: three 82-win teams tie for postseason
2019: an 84-win team makes postseason

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1227205636779364354?s=21

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 12:38:16 PM »

So the laws of supply and demand don't impact entertainment revenue? Baseball, basketball, and hockey have too much game inventory....doesn't make the individual games important or rare and it means teams are totally out of it with months to go.

I like the post season changes  if you also couple it will a reduction in the regular season schedule to 120 games but played from April 1st to September 30th. That spreads the inventory out, saves wear and tear on the players, minimize the tv revenue erosion, etc.

Yes I get its radical but we live in a different era the game needs to adapt
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 01:32:39 PM »
Under this proposed playoff format:

2014: two 79-win teams tie for postseason spot
2015: two 83-win teams make postseason
2016: a 79-win team makes postseason
2017: three 80-win teams tie for postseason
2018: three 82-win teams tie for postseason
2019: an 84-win team makes postseason

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1227205636779364354?s=21

Yikes. So if they go through with this, will they have to have a 1-game playoff every time there is a tie for the last postseason spot?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2020, 02:17:09 PM »
Yikes. So if they go through with this, will they have to have a 1-game playoff every time there is a tie for the last postseason spot?

If you wanted to get really crazy -- and I am not advocating this -- you could just throw all of the tied teams into the hopper when the two division winners and top wildcard team are deciding who they want to play. If nobody picks you as the first round opponent, you're out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 02:43:08 PM »
Rock, paper, scissors?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 04:09:31 PM »
Hmmmm..... where have I seen this before?

1) An institution makes a major change that - although arguably in the best interests of all - strikes at the heart of tradition and sentiment.  An uproar ensues.  The institution refuses to back down.
2) A couple decades go by and yet still, many people still complain about the change, some refusing to even acknowledge it (even while still maintaining faith/loyalty in the institution itself).
3) The institution goes public with a proposal for a new, more radical change that - unlike the first change - makes no rational sense whatsoever, and is instantly and universally condemned.
4) Citing the fact that everyone is against the new proposal, the institution actually backs down this time and pulls the proposal.
5) The public breathes a sigh of relief and feels like nostalgia has won the day.  Behind closed doors, the institution's leaders shake hands and exchange congratulations on successful execution of a charade that has finally galvanized support for the change they made decades prior.

Some call this tactic the "GOLD standard"   ;D

If it doesn't work, maybe throw in a ballot initiative (that doesn't give the option of reversing the change from decades back) between #4 and #5 for good measure.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:11:44 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.