Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Boo this  (Read 20186 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Boo this
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2020, 11:03:06 AM »
The inbounds play to BB was amazing. He has great vision.

Yeah, I caught that, bang, bang.    Can't wait for his offense to kick in.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »
It's not, I was fine with that. It was the 2:30 before that, particularly the foul at 2:42, that was uncalled for.

After seeing Symir try to foul and not actually get the foul call last week, I understand why some of the intentional fouls might look a little more aggressive than you'd expect. The strategy did make some sense, but Jayce made them pay for their gamble. I don't think anything was even remotely dirty yesterday.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2020, 02:17:08 PM »
I tend to agree with this.

And if Koby had gotten hurt while playing with the scrubs strictly because Wojo wanted revenge, it would have been an unforgivable coaching sin for me. Glad it didn't happen.
We are in a bit of an unusual situation here.  We don't have scholarship guys who don't play, so we don't really have guys like Don Smolinski or Magic Dawson who just about never get in games to put in at the end.  So unless we go to the walk-ons we are playing all rotation guys in the last couple minutes.  I'd have thrown in everybody when they emptied the bench with about 2 to go, but not knowing how good the walk-ons are, I don't blame the coach if he wants to play them no more than a minute.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
Jordan pulled his starters with over 2:00 left.  It seems like he accepted his defeat earlier than just about any other coach I've seen this year.

They started hacking Jayce down 14 with over 4 minutes left.  Pretty smart move. Send a 50% foul shooter to the line, hope he misses both and you get an empty possession with 0 time going off the clock.  Once Jayce made them pay on 3 straight possessions, he waved the white flag.  I doubt he was screaming for Kamar to foul Markus after a defensive rebound in the back court.  It was probably just that Butler had been fouling the 3 previous possessions so Kamar fouled as quickly as he could.

I don't think Lavar had dirty intents on his mind, I think he knew his only hope was empty possessions with no time going off the clock.  I don't think Wojo was trying to twist the knife on a blowout win, I think he didn't want to take a shot clock turnover.

It's really not a big deal.  Or a deal at all.

Word.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2020, 03:18:27 PM »
I'll also say, if Howard doesn’t get injured in a similar situation last year, I wouldn't think anything of yesterday. That, along with Howard's head bouncing off a folding chair in Indy and yesterday is sure starting to feel more like a trend than chance.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2020, 10:09:16 AM »
Really enjoyed watching the battle down low, especially between Jayce and Butler's Bryce Golden -- a 6-9, 245-pound sophomore who must spend time honing his post-up moves against African bull elephants.

Jayce is about as strong as they come, has good footwork on defense, and was usually able to deny Golden good position. Golden still managed to back him down -- better than any other player I can remember against Jayce this season. Irresistible force, meet immovable object.

But Golden finished just 3-10 on two-point attempts, almost all of them high-percentage looks right at the rim (where he's converted at a 67.3% rate this season). Jayce and Theo did a good job contesting shots without fouling -- yes, Jayce had 4 fouls, but the rotation worked exactly the way it's supposed to -- and did so mostly without getting any help from a double-team.

Bryce Nze saw more success, scoring 14 points on 6-8 shooting. Overall, though, holding Golden and Nze to 9 for 18 (50%) on their two-point FG attempts is a better defensive performance than you might think. That duo combined to go 14-19 (73.7%) on 2FGA against Villanova on Wednesday. And they shot 9-11 (81.8%) the game before against Providence.

Meanwhile, Theo and Jayce combined for 39 minutes, 13 points (on 4-5 shooting), 14 rebounds and 3 blocks. Can we name two players splitting time at the same position as the Studs of the Game?
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2020, 10:26:55 AM »
Really enjoyed watching the battle down low, especially between Jayce and Butler's Bryce Golden -- a 6-9, 245-pound sophomore who must spend time honing his post-up moves against African bull elephants.

Jayce is about as strong as they come, has good footwork on defense, and was usually able to deny Golden good position. Golden still managed to back him down -- better than any other player I can remember against Jayce this season. Irresistible force, meet immovable object.

But Golden finished just 3-10 on two-point attempts, almost all of them high-percentage looks right at the rim (where he's converted at a 67.3% rate this season). Jayce and Theo did a good job contesting shots without fouling -- yes, Jayce had 4 fouls, but the rotation worked exactly the way it's supposed to -- and did so mostly without getting any help from a double-team.

If the results can come like that every game, MU will finish strong.  Losing Morrow has helped, to bad Theo hurt his wrist because it seems he can not hold onto the
ball as strong as he should.  Jayce will be seeing more time in future, just does not have great lateral quickness but a nice addition this year, hope they can find another backup next year.  Good points.

Bryce Nze saw more success, scoring 14 points on 6-8 shooting. Overall, though, holding Golden and Nze to 9 for 18 (50%) on their two-point FG attempts is a better defensive performance than you might think. That duo combined to go 14-19 (73.7%) on 2FGA against Villanova on Wednesday. And they shot 9-11 (81.8%) the game before against Providence.

Meanwhile, Theo and Jayce combined for 39 minutes, 13 points (on 4-5 shooting), 14 rebounds and 3 blocks. Can we name two players splitting time at the same position as the Studs of the Game?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2020, 11:06:30 AM »
Bryce Nze saw more success, scoring 14 points on 6-8 shooting.
I was impressed with Nze and his post moves. Kinda what I had hoped for for Ed.  Good transfer pick up for Butler.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2020, 11:08:43 AM »
I was impressed with Nze and his post moves. Kinda what I had hoped for for Ed.  Good transfer pick up for Butler.
Nze and Golden traveled a lot and were in the lane over 3 seconds.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2020, 11:40:40 AM »
Bailey spent a lot of time guarding Nze when he was at the 4. It did not go well for Bailey. Nze was stymied by our bigs when he played the 5.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2020, 11:44:25 AM »
Bailey spent a lot of time guarding Nze when he was at the 4. It did not go well for Bailey. Nze was stymied by our bigs when he played the 5.

Weight and See.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

feedback