[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bob Knight returns to Assembly Hall  (Read 7468 times)

tower912

• All American
Bob Knight returns to Assembly Hall
« on: February 08, 2020, 02:08:57 PM »
Not a dry eye in the house.   My wife, the Hoosier fan, openly crying.

Very frail.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:11:19 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

withoutbias

• All American
Re: Bob Knight returns to Assembly Hall
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 02:14:27 PM »
Some people are getting choked up.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 02:31:33 PM »
Some people are getting choked up.

I get it
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 02:43:40 PM »
If Bob Knight's in poor health, he should just learn to relax and enjoy it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 04:07:45 PM »

He is.  He’s been campaigning for his causes, seeing old friends, taking a victory lap.  He scared the hell out of me the one year I was in the athletic department there, he scared most there.  He was a brilliant basketball coach.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »

I get this one, too
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Uncle Rico

• All American

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 05:50:34 PM »
https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2020/2/8/21129377/a-warm-blanket-bob-knight-return-to-bloomington

Reminds me of Gayle King talking about Kobe Bryant with Lisa Leslie this week about sexual assault and then people going batshat crazy to attack her online for doing so.....interesting videos by SnoopDog and others claiming they will get her for bringing it up....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 05:57:34 PM »

Reminds me of Gayle King talking about Kobe Bryant with Lisa Leslie this week about sexual assault and then people going batshat crazy to attack her online for doing so.....interesting videos by SnoopDog and others claiming they will get her for bringing it up....

Reminds me of Bobby Knight holding a grudge for 20 years because he got fired for putting his hands on a student.  Nice to see the decrepit old man on the court today.  A reminder no man is bigger than an institution

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 07:04:22 PM »
So inspired, Indiana lost an important home game to a Purdue team that couldn't buy a road win.

Fire Bobby again!

Fire Archie!

Good result for our Warriors.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 07:11:24 PM »
So inspired, Indiana lost an important home game to a Purdue team that couldn't buy a road win.

Fire Bobby again!

Fire Archie!

Good result for our Warriors.

Great to see Gene Keady there, a true gentleman

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 08:52:17 PM »
I'm happy to see an effort at reconciliation there.

Bob Knight made Hoosier Basketball. That 1976 team was painful to watch against us -- because they were SOOOOOOOOOOO good. He recruited, disciplined and won. In the end, that's what you want.

Coach Knight never physically hurt anyone and he was just as belligerent as Al was at times. The difference was Al did it in practice and, with one exception after a Kansas State tournament game, he didn't do it with recorders rolling or cameras on. Al also had a smug, sarcastic approach to how he did what he did.

Here's hoping Coach Knight is always revered at Indiana the way Al is here.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 09:14:25 PM »

Bob Knight made Hoosier Basketball. That 1976 team was painful to watch against us -- because they were SOOOOOOOOOOO good. He recruited, disciplined and won. In the end, that's what you want.

Coach Knight never physically hurt anyone and he was just as belligerent as Al was at times. The difference was Al did it in practice and, with one exception after a Kansas State tournament game, he didn't do it with recorders rolling or cameras on. Al also had a smug, sarcastic approach to how he did what he did.

Knight literally choked someone. Al was a much better and gracious man. Not even comparable.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2020, 09:15:09 PM »

God you are the worst. Just stick to the topic for once without bringing up politics.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 09:23:41 PM »
God you are the worst. Just stick to the topic for once without bringing up politics.

Some people are okay with “just win, baby”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 10:38:53 PM »

You do know that Bobby literally choked somebody, and then he tried to cover it up, and then he lied about it, and then the school tried to justify it, right?

He only got fired after he roughed up another student, one who wasn't even on the basketball team.

He was a bully and a boor, and as soon as college basketball changed some - as soon as recruits realized, "There are a lot of good programs out there where the head coaches don't physically and mentally abuse their athletes" - Bobby's recruiting dried up and he became just another good X-and-O guy who didn't have the talent to win.

In his last 6 years at Indiana, this all-time coaching god, working at the bluest of bluebloods, had such piss-poor talent that he could only win a total of 2 NCAA tournament games.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 07:27:56 AM »
He only got fired after he roughed up another student, one who wasn't even on the basketball team.

That student and his father’s account is highly disputed and not even close to verified.  Mike Davis denied it as vehemently as Coach Knight did.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 07:32:58 AM »
Which is the source of Knight's estrangement.   He felt he was fired due to lies.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 07:38:02 AM »
You do know that Bobby literally choked somebody, and then he tried to cover it up, and then he lied about it, and then the school tried to justify it, right?

He was a bully and a boor, and as soon as college basketball changed some - as soon as recruits realized, "There are a lot of good programs out there where the head coaches don't physically and mentally abuse their athletes" - Bobby's recruiting dried up and he became just another good X-and-O guy who didn't have the talent to win.

In his last 6 years at Indiana, this all-time coaching god, working at the bluest of bluebloods, had such piss-poor talent that he could only win a total of 2 NCAA tournament games.

Yes many of his tactics were wrong. He was often a boor and a bully. No argument there. His behavior was many times indefensible.

But he ran squeaky clean programs, made sure his players were actual student athletes, and was loyal and good to friends and many former players.  He was a conflicted personality in many ways.

He was also a brilliant basketball mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 08:12:10 AM »
Yes many of his tactics were wrong. He was often a boor and a bully. No argument there. His behavior was many times indefensible.

But he ran squeaky clean programs, made sure his players were actual student athletes, and was loyal and good to friends and many former players.  He was a conflicted personality in many ways.

"Mussolini made the triains run on time."

The problem I have isn't the acknowledgement that he was a complicated man with both positives and negatives, but that talking heads, and people like dgies, lift up the positives with reverance while ignoring the negatives.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2020, 08:32:31 AM »
That student and his father’s account is highly disputed and not even close to verified.  Mike Davis denied it as vehemently as Coach Knight did.

Please. There actually are people who dispute him having throttled Neil Reed, even though it was caught on film for all to see.

All true. Just don't physically and mentally abuse people and expect for everybody to get down on their knees and worship you.

Many will do such worshiping no matter what, because for many winning is all that matters, but many are repulsed by that behavior. Among the many repulsed were recruits and their parents, who ran to other programs over the last half-dozen years of his time at Indiana.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2020, 08:33:24 AM »
"Mussolini made the triains run on time."

The problem I have isn't the acknowledgement that he was a complicated man with both positives and negatives, but that talking heads, and people like dgies, lift up the positives with reverance while ignoring the negatives.

Obtuse as Chico’s can be, perhaps that’s his point about Kobe.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2020, 08:47:35 AM »
Look, Coach Knight won multiple Nattys for a university that never before had sniffed that level of success. I get that Coach Knight had some bad behavior along the way. Candidly, most coaches do. His was more physical and more overt.

Though, gang, I would note that legend has it that Coach Al and one of his players were engaged in a fist fight in the mid 1970s. Yet, we still celebrate Coach Al.

Look, nobody is saying Coach Knight is perfect. He’s far from it. If sainthood is a basis for honoring someone, we’ll honor nobody. Coach Knight should be rêvered not for the whole package but for the good he did.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2020, 09:15:04 AM »
Look, Coach Knight won multiple Nattys for a university that never before had sniffed that level of success.

Not accurate.  Branch McCracken won multiple national championships at Indiana.

Look, nobody is saying Coach Knight is perfect. He’s far from it. If sainthood is a basis for honoring someone, we’ll honor nobody. Coach Knight should be rêvered not for the whole package but for the good he did.

No one is saying you have to be a saint.  Your initial posts was completely innaccurate.  He did hurt someone physically.  He hurt many others emotionallly.  Again, I am all for acknowledging someone's positives, but don't whitewash his negatives like you did.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:18:09 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

feedback