[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus (usually) does not shoot too much  (Read 6984 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Markus (usually) does not shoot too much
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2020, 11:01:31 PM »
I don't agree with the general opinion that anything good that has happened at Marquette since 2014 has been despite us having the worst coach in history, and everything bad that has happened for Marquette basketball since 2014 has been the fault of the worst coach in history.

Specifics? For example ... Sure, Markus indeed might arrived at Marquette with "a very polished game for a freshman," as Ners stated. But a lot of very good players have arrived at Marquette over the decades without developing to the point of becoming an All-American as a junior and the nation's leading scorer as a senior. Obviously, poor Markus had to overcome Wojo's infamous de-motivation tactics to achieve it.

That kind of thing, Lenny.

OK. So what he wrote was true but you think he meant something entirely different from what he wrote so that makes the true things that he wrote false.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2020, 11:23:13 PM »
John!!! Matt Norlander just shouted out you and Value Add on the CBS Sports Eye on College Basketball podcast.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 11:29:28 PM »
OK. So what he wrote was true but you think he meant something entirely different from what he wrote so that makes the true things that he wrote false.

OK, Lenny, isn't what I wrote true? Or do most "very polished players as freshman" develop into All-Americans who lead the nation in scoring?

Several players became very good - or even great - players under Wojo's watch. I happen to think it is extremely biased, and perhaps disingenuous, to suggest that all of it happened despite the head coach and his assistants.

You apparently agree with Ners, a guy who also insisted that Dawson was a better college basketball player than Rowsey (another guy who developed into a darn good Big East player under Wojo, BTW). I'm surprised that you share Ners' opinion on this topic, but it's your right.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2020, 09:12:30 PM »
When Markus arrived at MU, he was a great outside shooter. He could not finish a drive. Markus through hard work has learned to finish drives and has develop a very good two point shot. He has also improved on the defensive end. He is a much more complete player now than he was as a freshmen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 09:33:20 PM »
When Markus arrived at MU, he was a great outside shooter. He could not finish a drive. Markus through hard work has learned to finish drives and has develop a very good two point shot. He has also improved on the defensive end. He is a much more complete player now than he was as a freshmen.

You forgot to add, "Despite the de-motivator."

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2020, 09:35:59 PM »
OK, Lenny, isn't what I wrote true? Or do most "very polished players as freshman" develop into All-Americans who lead the nation in scoring?

Several players became very good - or even great - players under Wojo's watch. I happen to think it is extremely biased, and perhaps disingenuous, to suggest that all of it happened despite the head coach and his assistants.

You apparently agree with Ners, a guy who also insisted that Dawson was a better college basketball player than Rowsey (another guy who developed into a darn good Big East player under Wojo, BTW). I'm surprised that you share Ners' opinion on this topic, but it's your right.

I’ve given Wojo credit where I see it is due. He’s improved as an in-game coach, albeit there is still room for more improvement.

As for Markus, JayBee was calling M2N the day he signed. Stan called him a program changer. He’s lived up to the hype - credit to him and the staff.

As for Rowsey, he came to MU a big-time player. Did you know KenPom lists Rowsey’s last year at UNC-Asheville as a comp for this year’s Markus?

I don’t recall saying Dawson was a better player than Rowsey - perhaps may have said he was a physical/Big East bodied guard. However, if I did say he was better than Andrew - I was wrong. It happens. Ironic they both have landed in the G-League.

There have been many early predictions about MU players (and coaches) potential I've been pretty accurate on.  I don’t feel I was unfair in my previous post about Markus/Sam/Brendan/Theo/Sacar.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2020, 09:37:01 PM »
I’ve given Wojo credit where I see it is due. He’s improved as an in-game coach, albeit there is still room for more improvement.

As for Markus, JayBee was calling M2N the day he signed. Stan called him a program changer. He’s lived up to the hype - credit to him and the staff.

As for Rowsey, he came to MU a big-time player. Did you know KenPom lists Rowsey’s last year at UNC-Asheville as a comp for this year’s Markus?

I don’t recall saying Dawson was a better player than Rowsey - perhaps may have said he was a physical/Big East bodied guard. However, if I did say he was better than Andrew - I was wrong. It happens. Ironic they both have landed in the G-League.

There have been many early predictions about MU players (and coaches) potential I've been pretty accurate on.  I don’t feel I was unfair in my previous post about Markus/Sam/Brendan/Theo/Sacar.

OK.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 12:32:14 PM »

Dwyane Wade was a program changer. Markus is a bulk scorer with no NCAA tourney victories or conference titles. Maybe that changes this upcoming March but for now, he's Jimmer Fredette minus the tourney victories.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 12:52:09 PM »
Dwyane Wade was a program changer. Markus is a bulk scorer with no NCAA tourney victories or conference titles. Maybe that changes this upcoming March but for now, he's Jimmer Fredette minus the tourney victories.

Tool.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2020, 01:13:56 PM »

Jimmer was the No. 10 overall selection in the 2011 draft, so I'm guessing Markus wouldn't mind that part of the comparison.

Jimmer did have one NCAA tournament victory in his first 3 seasons at BYU, so he does lead Markus 1-0 in that department. Fredette had 2 more NCAA wins as a senior, and most of us would love to see Markus at least match that.

Thrilled to have had Markus at Marquette, just as I was thrilled to have had D-Wade. Had Markus been surrounded by one of the best PGs in school history, a dead-eye shooter who would go on to play 11 years in the NBA and an outstanding 5th-year senior center capable of double-doubles every game, maybe Markus would have been even more of a program changer. And as much as we all love D-Wade and are thankful he was a true Warrior, we also know that he wouldn't have even seen the 2nd round of the 2003 NCAA tournament had Diener not saved Marquette's bacon vs. Holy Cross.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 02:56:33 PM »
Jimmer was the No. 10 overall selection in the 2011 draft, so I'm guessing Markus wouldn't mind that part of the comparison.

Jimmer did have one NCAA tournament victory in his first 3 seasons at BYU, so he does lead Markus 1-0 in that department. Fredette had 2 more NCAA wins as a senior, and most of us would love to see Markus at least match that.

Thrilled to have had Markus at Marquette, just as I was thrilled to have had D-Wade. Had Markus been surrounded by one of the best PGs in school history, a dead-eye shooter who would go on to play 11 years in the NBA and an outstanding 5th-year senior center capable of double-doubles every game, maybe Markus would have been even more of a program changer. And as much as we all love D-Wade and are thankful he was a true Warrior, we also know that he wouldn't have even seen the 2nd round of the 2003 NCAA tournament had Diener not saved Marquette's bacon vs. Holy Cross.
merritt was pretty solid too.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2020, 02:58:37 PM »
merritt was pretty solid too.

Yeah Merritt merits some merit
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2020, 03:04:12 PM »
Great Scott!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2020, 05:38:53 PM »

Your post earns you a merit badge, and me leaving him out earns me a demerit.

feedback