collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Your Greatest Expectation v. Reality as a Sports Fan  (Read 7619 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Your Greatest Expectation v. Reality as a Sports Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2020, 03:08:12 PM »
Darko Milicic instead of Dwyane Wade.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2020, 03:31:06 PM »

The Bulls also could have had Wade but Paxson refused to throw Donyell Marshall into a trade package.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2020, 03:37:50 PM »
The Bulls also could have had Wade but Paxson refused to throw Donyell Marshall into a trade package.

Paxson has been around that long?  Jeez, he's been in the front office for 17 years?

Under his "management" the Bulls have won less playoff series than Jerry Krause did championships.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2020, 03:41:24 PM »
I'm an "ageist" by asking about the age of Doc's kids? Go Doc!

That is what wiki is for.  Scoop is for passively aggressively inferring bias via questions/statements.

While I am half joking, in many cultures this is perfectly acceptable... including the US during agricultural times where women would die in childbirth.  If two adults are happy, who really cares? Demi and Ashton. Doc and his date?  This country would be better off if we care less about what goes on in people's bedrooms other than their own.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2020, 04:14:48 PM »

Paxson has been around that long?  Jeez, he's been in the front office for 17 years?

Under his "management" the Bulls have won less playoff series than Jerry Krause did championships.

Yep. Reinsdorf unceremoniously dumped Krause the day of the 2003 NCAA title game; I was in New Orleans covering the game but had to write about Krause instead. (The Bulls' only statement was that Krause had retired for health reasons, but he was dumped.)

Later that month, Reinsdorf hired Paxson, about 2 months before the draft. Pax loved Wade, and he wanted to make a splash ... but apparently not badly enough. Toronto was willing to trade the No. 4 pick, which Pax wanted so he could move ahead of Riley, who also loved Wade. But the Raptors wanted Donyell Marshall.

The first of many wonderful calls by Paxson as an NBA executive.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2020, 04:46:14 PM »
I'm not sure I was ever more excited for the future than after the 2007 U-20 World Cup. Freddy Adu and Jozy Altidore were the forward pairing of our dreams, Danny Szetela and Sal Zizzo were blazing wings, Michael Bradley was the young rock in the midfield, I was convinced they would join up with established stars like Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey to lead us to glory in 2010, 2014, and beyond. We did okay, but never matched that hype, largely due to guys like Adu, Szetela, and Zizzo never coming close to recapturing that Summer 2007 form.

As a Bulls fan, I thought the Baby Bulls (Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler) were going to usher in a new, dominant frontcourt that would lead them back to the glory days sooner rather than later. Not so much.

Many Marquette fans probably hold this, but I was soooooo excited for the 2013-14 season, to the point that I was looking forward to it from the moment Jamil Wilson arrived. I had visions of Gardner, Wilson, and (once committed) McKay in the frontcourt. Blue and Mayo were there to anchor a solid backcourt. And we had a massive recruiting class coming in. That was the year I penciled in for the return to the Final Four, even before we won a Big East title and went to an Elite 8 in 2013. Then Vander left, McKay left, and it never came together.

As a Reading FC fan, it was this year. Club splashed tons of money in the transfer window, brought in a combination of proven players and promising young stars, had an exciting manager in Jose Gomes, and proceeded to tank right to the relegation zone. They have somehow recovered, but don't look like they have any real shot of the EPL promotion I was dreaming of a few months ago.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2020, 08:45:57 PM »
I saw that too.  34, isn't that younger than at least one of his kids?

In violation of the half plus 7 rule!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2020, 02:25:19 PM »
This country would be better off if we care less about what goes on in people's bedrooms other than their own.

[Insert joke about JayBee caring less than nothing.]
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2020, 05:14:25 PM »

it would have been Carmelo or Bosh. Rip was established at the 2.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2020, 10:46:38 PM »
That is what wiki is for.  Scoop is for passively aggressively inferring bias via questions/statements.

While I am half joking, in many cultures this is perfectly acceptable... including the US during agricultural times where women would die in childbirth.  If two adults are happy, who really cares? Demi and Ashton. Doc and his date?  This country would be better off if we care less about what goes on in people's bedrooms other than their own.

As long as they are legal age of consent, I agree.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2020, 02:57:15 AM »
Not much, OBLS.  (Old balls, loose sack)

Pronounced Obliss.

Swimmers gonna swim, Zig

Death on call

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2020, 11:07:47 PM »
I'm going to be an old fart (get off my lawn) but my greatest expectation was for a second national championship in 1978.

Bo was gone but we had a dynamite, senior-laden team. Our coach was someone who had been with us throughout the Al era and understood what he had.

Reality came crashing down on a cold March afternoon in Indianapolis. Was at a wedding in Iowa with my girlfriend that day (has been Ms. Dgies since 1980) and thought the sportscaster read the score incorrectly.

Little did I realize that was the end of an era.

Wojo, get us back!!!!!           

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2020, 01:51:04 AM »
I'm going to be an old fart (get off my lawn) but my greatest expectation was for a second national championship in 1978.

Bo was gone but we had a dynamite, senior-laden team. Our coach was someone who had been with us throughout the Al era and understood what he had.

Reality came crashing down on a cold March afternoon in Indianapolis. Was at a wedding in Iowa with my girlfriend that day (has been Ms. Dgies since 1980) and thought the sportscaster read the score incorrectly.

Little did I realize that was the end of an era.

Wojo, get us back!!!!!           

Peter F#cking Pavia

Actually, I think that outcome telegraphed what we all feared: Hank was a bad choice.

Denny Crum and Digger were openly begging for the job.

Imagine if Crum got the job. The legacy of excellence would still be alive.

Death on call